opinion: deaths in anime

The story arc in Full Metal Panic where Sosuke is with a squad in the Desert tracking Gauron. Each of them are killed by Gauron while Sosuke is fighting his former friend. Very tragic, and then his friend's death follows after. It's a good mement where Sosuke is the only one left as he walks the desert dragging the recovered nuke. The music fit the entire episode perfect.

Their impending deaths were so utterly predictable after Sosuke got the brush-off and deciding to carry the whole frelling missile when all they need to carry was the warhead(s).

Imho Vash himself ruined the whole series especially with the flashbacks showed when he had several chances to permanently stop Knives from killing more and more people.

Spike died? As good an anime as Cowboy Bebop is, I guess it can't really have made a lasting impression on me, as I don't remember Spike dying at all, and the last time I watched the series and movie was only about a year ago :D

Most surprising death is a tie between Kircheis and Yang in LoGH. I really didn't see either of them coming.

Saddest death goes to another LoGH character, Walter Von Schenkopp. He was my favorite character in the series and I really wanted to see him live, but he buys it in a really stupid and avoidable way, i.e the moral of his death is always make sure your enemies are reallly dead and don't turn your back on them!

Another sad death is the pilot in Nadesco, sorry can't remember his name (Gai?) who is killed early on in the series.

Graham

best - Guld's heroic sacrifice in MP:TM

worst - Optimus Prime's death (also kind stupid marketing ploy for more toys)

stupidest and funniest- Kazikazi's death in DYRL

best of recent memory, zabusa....freaking awesome sequence followed by sad tragic redemption.

worst/dumbest: the poor military guy that gets his head cut off by the moving bulkhead in DYRL

saddest: don't remember any of their names, but in one piece, the marine lady who rescued the navigator and the other girl, when she sacrifices herself so those two could live...

3. Yamagata in Akira. Totally cliche, very predictable and to be honest not all that unexpected when it happens but the fact that you never see him die and it is Tetsuo that kills him really pisses you off just as much as it did Kaneda and Kai. Yes Yama was an arrogant asswipe punk but he was funny as hell.

another lame and pointless death is Tetsuo's girl when she gets squished in his gooky folds.

Pero's death in Metrpolis pissed me off too.

Oh and Vampire Hunter D bloodlust, the 1st bounty hunter with the massive hammer? Stabbed in his shadow and dies while standing up? Damn that was creepy but stupid at the same time!

By the way, these images are under the "In the wrong place at the wrong time" and "I got myself killed because my stupid sidekick is easily possessed" categories.

1.) AD Police officer, episode 3 of Original Bubblegum Crisis

2.) Yohko Mano, episode 5 of Mamono Hunter Yohko

animedeaths.gif

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

Devil Hunter Yohko dies in the anime? At the end? For real? For good?

Please let me know.

Anyway The end of Chrno Crusade. The most sad death I saw.

Of course she dies in the anime, but not at the end. She's the heroine, so she comes back to life.

Now, since I hate that little beyotch Azusa, all we need now is the MOST ANNOYING ANIME SIDEKICK thread.

For me it`s all for Legend of Galactic Heroes:

Best/saddest death : Siegfried Kirchies

Most stupid death: All the Imperial nobles who got blown up during the war or the one who drink poison.

Saddest Death

1. Guld Goa Bowman (Macross Plus)

2. Roy Focker (Macross)

3. Spike Spiegel and Vicious (Cowboy Bebop)

4. Hiroko Asahina (RahXephon)

5. Lalah Sune (Mobile Suit Gundam)

Worst/Stupidest Death

Any death scene from M.D. Geist

Funniest Death

Any of Excel's death scenes (Excel Saga)

Dumbest death: Asuka in EOE, any smart person wudve known when to call it quits and eject their damn entry plug, the MP EVA's probly wudve been too busy with 02 to even notice the entry plug.

I'd like to see you in a similar state of pain and anguish and see how smart you act! I don't know what being impaled feels like... but I'd wager not too good...

Kircheis was just such a good man, he was loyal to a fault, intensely intelligent, but naive at the same time. You couldn't help but to like him. His death actually put me off the series a bit afterward because he was such a great character.

Reuenthal was another character I deeply emphasized with. His life was one of tragedy and triumph.

I've put LOTGH on backburner for a couple months, but now I'm definately interested in getting back into it (stopped about 5 episodes into the second set).

As for death's, some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Best:

-Usso's mother in V. Sure we knew it was going to happen, but to imagine a kid seeing his own mother's head flying off? Damn

-Another vote for Lala, and when you consider the shapping it had on the rest of U.C. Gundam.

-Kei & Orsen: Orguss

-Saddest....I always felt Tochiro's death was tragic, especially with its vast effect on Harlock in all incarnations.

Funniest.....I'm not even going to try, as there is no death funnier than Kakizaki in DYRL.

Studest: Yazan in ZZ, not that he disn't deserve a pathetic death after all he'd done, but talk about anti-climactic.

Edited by Keith

i can't think of a funny one.

Kakizaki in DYRL. Cracks me up every time. Same with Quess from Char's Counter Attack.

As for stupidest... Well, I just saw Rurouni Kenshin: Sei Sou Hen (Samurai X: Reflections). That's all I'm gonna say.

Too many depressing deaths to list.

Edited by Jemstone

^^^ uhh take heart, thats not the end of Kenshin. Nobuhiro never sanctioned that ending. The Last two reflections OAVs never had anything to do with the story that Nobuhiro laid out. At least with the four prequel OAVs they stuck to the story that was outlined in the Revenge arc of the manga. The last two had no basis in any of Watasuki's manga's and was not sanctioned by him. Think of it as a Macross II of kenshin. If you have seen the last four pages of the manga Kenshin is destined to live a happy life, not one where he goes and dies from leprocy or cholera or whatever fighting for Japan.

the ONLY way that Kenshin would have ended up the way he did was if he didn't learn his succession technique and learned to value his life, and the ones of others. After that point you see Kenshin completely change, he understands that he himself is important. The Reflections didn't understand that.

Best - Emerson from Southern Cross. Jackass finally realised that he had been wrong the entire time and that negotiations weren't possible. Served him right.

2nd Runner Up has to be Gyunei from Char's Counterattack. Oops, talk about not paying attention!

Funniest - Gotta agree with Jemstone and say Quess Paraya from Char's Counterattack. Of course, the fact that she dry gulched her old man earlier in the movie pretty much set her up being target #1 for the Gundam Karma machine.

Saddest - Hmm....although she technically didn't die....I gotta vote for Ai Amano from Video Girl Ai. Ive got a soft spot for Ai.

The most memorable death: Kenshin in the OVA series. What a way a bad as killer to go out, you would think he dies fighting an army or 2. He die quietly in the arms of his women with this real name spoken to him, “welcome home Shinta”. It was so poetic, that he started with Shinta, changed to Kenshin to make it rain blood and dies with Shinta

Saddest: grave of the fireflies, you’re not human if u don’t cry in that movie

And all the others one you guys mention: Cowboy Bebop’s Spike, Naruto’s zabusa, Optimus Prime, Metal Gear’s Sniper Wolf and Ninja,

Best/Saddest:

(not gonna mention ones already listed)

-Tatara and his real-world love(the grandma) in Fushigi Yuugi

-Bernie in Gundam 0080

-when Chichiri talks about how he killed his best friend (Fushigi Yuugi)

-Kazama Shin in Area 88 (original series from the early 80s)

-Tamahome's family in Fushigi Yuugi

-Mokuren's and Shion's in Please Save My Earth(well OK, you don't see Shion's death but you see his skeleton[in the PSME movie] )

-um... the Amazon Trio from Sailor Moon SuperS!

-Matilda's death in the Gundam 0079 movies(not her actual death scene but later when Amuro and the rest are saluting the dead and he remembers her and cries)

-Judeu in Berserk

-Souzou Sagara in Rurouni Kenshin

-in the beginning of the first Keshin OAV, the girl who is killed and as she's dying tells little Kenshin to live for her.

-Camille's mom in Zeta Gundam (I've only seen up to episode 20 so I've yet to see all the other characters die!)

-death of the 2 main characters in Towards The Terra

-And I know this isn't anime/animation(sorry!), but I have to list it!(I just watched it recently!) The death of Keiko, Kawada's girlfriend in Battle Royale, who smiles at him(Kawada) and says "Thank you." just before she dies(in the flashback).

-The most shocking/disturbing one is in Battle Angel, when you suddenly find out that that woman scientist was killed and you see her remains(organs) in jars.

Edited by alien26

I gotta second Keith on Uso's mom. I mean, her head pops off... AFTER she was crushed by a capital ship.

Yeah, that, and Optimus' death makes me cry. Still.

It was pretty sad when Bernie bit it in War in the Pocket, too.

Hey Max, on a somewhat side note to Zabusa, is the second Naruto game for the GC worth the greens? :blink:

Well it depends.

Pros-

Takes about 30 min to learn

Takes longer to master, a lot of it is timing

If you like Powerstone/Smash Bros. this is like that, only VERY ninja..

Its very fast paced, the graphics look very good cell shaded

LOTS of characters(2 of them are lame such as Akamaru and Kankuro's puppet)

Story mode follows the series up until Gaara vs Sasuke.

Moves fit the characters...

4 PLAYER NINJA BATTLES! These are often very fun, team battles and 3 v 1 are awesome too!

Sharingan Kakashi: Yes... he copies non-bloodline supers... usually with his own take on it.

Cons-

Perhaps not as deep as some would like, but like I said... it takes 30 min to learn, but more time to master. I'm only REALLY good with Sharingan Sasuke and Sakura.

It doesn't have Itachi... maybe in pt. 3....:)

Overall we really like the game, its a blast. My room-mate and our friends often have great battles with eachother. Just the other day my room-mate and I had some good matches(he won all but 1, but they were all VERY close...). If you're a fan of Naruto, and are looking for a fun, easy to pick up(even the girls play it sometimes!) fighting game to play with your other Naruto fan friends... pick this up with FreeLoader @ www.lik-sang.com .

^^^ uhh take heart, thats not the end of Kenshin. Nobuhiro never sanctioned that ending. The Last two reflections OAVs never had anything to do with the story that Nobuhiro laid out. At least with the four prequel OAVs they stuck to the story that was outlined in the Revenge arc of the manga. The last two had no basis in any of Watasuki's manga's and was not sanctioned by him. Think of it as a Macross II of kenshin. If you have seen the last four pages of the manga Kenshin is destined to live a happy life, not one where he goes and dies from leprocy or cholera or whatever fighting for Japan.

the ONLY way that Kenshin would have ended up the way he did was if he didn't learn his succession technique and learned to value his life, and the ones of others. After that point you see Kenshin completely change, he understands that he himself is important. The Reflections didn't understand that.

I know, man. That's why it pissed me off so much. It was still one of the lamest things I ever seen and Koaru's "devoted" decision was just outright stupid. Where's our Revenge story arch already?!

Hey Max, on a somewhat side note to Zabusa, is the second Naruto game for the GC worth the greens?  :blink:

Well it depends.

Pros-

4 PLAYER NINJA BATTLES! These are often very fun, team battles and 3 v 1 are awesome too!

Sharingan Kakashi: Yes... he copies non-bloodline supers... usually with his own take on it.

Cons-

Perhaps not as deep as some would like, but like I said... it takes 30 min to learn, but more time to master. I'm only REALLY good with Sharingan Sasuke and Sakura.

Overall we really like the game, its a blast. My room-mate and our friends often have great battles with eachother. Just the other day my room-mate and I had some good matches(he won all but 1, but they were all VERY close...). If you're a fan of Naruto, and are looking for a fun, easy to pick up(even the girls play it sometimes!) fighting game to play with your other Naruto fan friends... pick this up with FreeLoader @ www.lik-sang.com .

OOOHH!! It works with Action Replay Freeloader? This game is mine now.

Hey Max, on a somewhat side note to Zabusa, is the second Naruto game for the GC worth the greens?  :blink:

Well it depends.

Pros-

Cons-

OOOHH!! It works with Action Replay Freeloader? This game is mine now.

I dunno, I just got the freeloader disk...

Should work with any region free thingie... I would think...

ummmm.....do videogames count? i remember when i played final fantasy VII for the first time and aeris died.....i couldn't believe it. it made my heart twist. i kept playing the game thinkin that she would come back to life somehow, and when i finally got to the end.....let's just say that i felt WAY too satisfied with kickin sephiroth's ass. i kept getting pissed off at myself for being upset at a videogame girl's death. i mean....i cried when yoda and king kong died....and when gizmo went home....but, i was under 8!!! (ok, maybe that's no excuse :p ). but, for me....that and roy fokker's death are the two most shocking.

Well it depends.

Pros-

Cons-

It doesn't have Itachi... maybe in pt. 3....

The path that I shall take is laid before me! Thanks Max! :p

.....but Spike's on Cowboy Bebop was the most surprising and sad.

Damn! I didn't know that! That is sad! Equally as sad was Kagero's death in Ninja Scroll.

You mean, there was still a person left in the world that didn't know Spike dies? :D

Okay! Okay! I know I'm late for the party! <_<

Okay, I'm probably gonna ruffle a few feathers here, but...

Best deaths?

Guld from Macross Plus the Movie. He knew he was going to die, but that didn't stop him from finishing the fight.

Bridge crew from Robotech: First Generation. They knew that they were trying to fight in a rusted, out-of-service battleship that had lain inactive in a lake for two years... and still did it because there was no other way of stopping Khyron. They went to their job, even knowing their deaths were probably going to result. Same marks for Guld above.

Dinobot from Beast Wars. Again, same as above. Kept fighting, even after being critically injured and depleated of his weapons. Heck, he was even given a chance to step off the battlefield and recover, but chose not to because doing so would doom those he'd chosen to protect. Top marks for this death scene.

Saddest deaths?

Optimus Prime, from TF: The Movie. To see the main hero of the show killed off in the opening act was a pure crusher for most of the audience.

Kaji from Evangelion. While not neccesarrily a main character or even an important one, the audience was given the rather horrific experience of watching all his friends and loved ones having to come to terms with the grief of his death; something that very few shows do.

Funniest deaths?

Any of the hits from MXC. Though the people aren't technically dead, those hits look like they should at least rupture a few organs or shatter some vertebrae. :)

seeing as how I started this thread I should now chime in.

stupidest- ramba ral from gundam

"Now see the fate that awaits true warriors!" then jumps into the air with a hand grenade.

so the true fate of all warriors is to blow themselves up? no wonder zeon lost the war

man, ramba ral was a soldier, and he wanted to die a soldier's death in battle rather than fall prisoner to the enemy. zeon was proud. i thought his death was rather well done because it was charasteristic of himself rather than some incredible plot twist or surprise.

saddest death: in z-gundam, when kamille's mom and when four die. those hit you pretty hard.

Edited by dedalus001

Best deaths?

Guld from Macross Plus the Movie. He knew he was going to die, but that didn't stop him from finishing the fight.

Bridge crew from Robotech: First Generation. They knew that they were trying to fight in a rusted, out-of-service battleship that had lain inactive in a lake for two years... and still did it because there was no other way of stopping Khyron. They went to their job, even knowing their deaths were probably going to result. Same marks for Guld above.

Dinobot from Beast Wars. Again, same as above. Kept fighting, even after being critically injured and depleated of his weapons. Heck, he was even given a chance to step off the battlefield and recover, but chose not to because doing so would doom those he'd chosen to protect. Top marks for this death scene.

Saddest deaths?

Optimus Prime, from TF: The Movie. To see the main hero of the show killed off in the opening act was a pure crusher for most of the audience.

Kaji from Evangelion. While not neccesarrily a main character or even an important one, the audience was given the rather horrific experience of watching all his friends and loved ones having to come to terms with the grief of his death; something that very few shows do.

Funniest deaths?

Any of the hits from MXC. Though the people aren't technically dead, those hits look like they should at least rupture a few organs or shatter some vertebrae. :)

You didn't ruffled mine! Not feathers but hairs of course.

Best deaths?

Guld from Macross Plus the Movie.  He knew he was going to die, but that didn't stop him from finishing the fight.

Bridge crew from Robotech: First Generation.  They knew that they were trying to fight in a rusted, out-of-service battleship that had lain inactive in a lake for two years... and still did it because there was no other way of stopping Khyron.  They went to their job, even knowing their deaths were probably going to result.  Same marks for Guld above.

Dinobot from Beast Wars.  Again, same as above.  Kept fighting, even after being critically injured and depleated of his weapons.  Heck, he was even given a chance to step off the battlefield and recover, but chose not to because doing so would doom those he'd chosen to protect.  Top marks for this death scene.

Saddest deaths?

Optimus Prime, from TF: The Movie.  To see the main hero of the show killed off in the opening act was a pure crusher for most of the audience.

Kaji from Evangelion.  While not neccesarrily a main character or even an important one, the audience was given the rather horrific experience of watching all his friends and loved ones having to come to terms with the grief of his death; something that very few shows do.

Funniest deaths?

Any of the hits from MXC.  Though the people aren't technically dead, those hits look like they should at least rupture a few organs or shatter some vertebrae. :)

You didn't ruffled mine! Not feathers but hairs of course.

Well, feathers are little more than modified hairs, so in that case...

*ruffle* *ruffle* *ruffle*

There? Now do you feel speshul? :p