Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Effect

The official site has put up the first image in the "Art of Episode 3" section. Fans had been speculating that this was some kind of X-Wing predecessor, but apart from the s-foils I don't see much of a resemblence. I do like the WW2 style extended canopy, though. I dub this fighter the space-Stuka. :lol:

post-26-1093361684_thumb.jpg

I bet this has been covered to death already but being someone who has not been reading all the SW topics on here and on other sites I have three quick questions that some diehards could answer for me...

1) should we not be seeing *-Wing fighters in this last movie already? Supposedly from what I remember the "Stunt Fighter" X and Y wings used in A New Hope were supposed to be like 15 to 20 year old fighters then, where they not?

2) Just where the F are the "corrillians"? In A New Hope everything worth it's mustard was referred to as a "Corrillian" ship, person or item. The new movies have started calling everything "Human" and I have not heard the word Corrillian since ANH.

3) If the Jedi order is indeed wiped out in the last movie, and during this last movie we see Padme pregnant with Luke and Leia, can we then assume that L&L are born near the end of the movie... which would make both of them between 16 and 19 in ANH... that would mean the Jedi order has only been wiped out for about 20 years at most. Why on earth do they constantly keep saying things like "The jedi have long since been extinct" and "ancient weapons and hoaky religions"? The crap would only be 20 years old!... most likely with several million people still remembering them fresh in their minds! Retcon anyone?

... sorry but the closer this movie draws near the more I and my co-workers keep questioning everything in the OT as it relates to the new movies. The more we question, the more glaring issues pop up and it makes us wonder even more if a third Retcon to the OT is in the works soon to correct all the minor but glaring story inconsistencies.

... then again we are just a bunch of 20 to 30 something jaded SW fans.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

I bet this has been covered to death already but being someone who has not been reading all the SW topics on here and on other sites I have three quick questions that some diehards could answer for me...

Well....

1) It would appear not. There's a whole EU backstory to the X-wing which places its design somewhere between Ep III and Ep IV, since that's EU I'll spare you. And it was Snub fighter.

2) Corellia is just another planet inhabited by humans, really. Even the EU has barely touched on that world, other than the fact that Solo came from there and that they build ships. The only person who really went on about all things Corellian in ANH was Han Solo, who was of course Corellian himself. But as you pointed out, that word hasn't really been used much sine ANH.

3) Ep III ends either 18 or 20 years before A New Hope, and the Jedi Order will indeed be pushing up the daisies by the end. But its hardly a retcon Old Man Kenobi told us about Vaders jedi killing (and Anakin "murdering") back in 1977. These events had to happen in Luke's lifetime, or else how could his father have been a Jedi in the first place? As for the the lack or reverence for the Jedi's weapons and religion, I think you cold argue that the Jedi, their beliefs and lightsabers were already "ancient" by the timeframe of the prequels. They're horribly out-of touch with the state of the galaxy, and when the clones turn on them they will indeed be no match for a couple hundred blasters. Or you could just take that dialog as a lack of respect for the Jedi from both Tarkin and Solo

Edited by bsu legato

Theere should be without a doubt Y-Wings during Ep. III, pretty new at that time. There were at least in their 20's during the OT. Hopefully they show up under the separatist banner. That would also would easily tie in with the fact that almost all the existing Y-Wings found their way into Rebel hands.

O.K., my CRAZY friend called me last night to tell me he heard on the news that Lucas had announced plans to make episodes 7,8 and 9. I told him he was CRAZY and probably heard wrong. Is my friend CRAZY? Or is he just a Grade A Moron?

TIA

JKeats

O.K., my CRAZY friend called me last night to tell me he heard on the news that Lucas had announced plans to make episodes 7,8 and 9. I told him he was CRAZY and probably heard wrong. Is my friend CRAZY? Or is he just a Grade A Moron?

Both? Your friend probably heard something about the rumor that's been circualting recently about the current NDA that Lucasfilm employees are under. It supposedly says something about Eps 7,8, and 9. Check out TFN's story HERE, about 1/3 of the way down the page.

Guns on tips of wings = hard deflection shots..............

Not really. If you've played X-Wing alliance, many of the fighters had automatic convergance on the wing mounted guns. So no matter what the range between you and it (it being whatever it may be on the buisness end of your guns), your guns were properly set for proper convergance. Now, granted X-Wing Alliance isn't exactly "official", but it was a nifty concept.

3) Ep III ends either 18 or 20 years before A New Hope, and the Jedi Order will indeed be pushing up the daisies by the end. But its hardly a retcon Old Man Kenobi told us about Vaders jedi killing (and Anakin "murdering") back in 1977. These events had to happen in Luke's lifetime, or else how could his father have been a Jedi in the first place? As for the the lack or reverence for the Jedi's weapons and religion, I think you cold argue that the Jedi, their beliefs and lightsabers were already "ancient" by the timeframe of the prequels. They're horribly out-of touch with the state of the galaxy, and when the clones turn on them they will indeed be no match for a couple hundred blasters. Or you could just take that dialog as a lack of respect for the Jedi from both Tarkin and Solo

There's something else to consider.

With the Emperor almost certainly making anything even remotely connected to the Jedi illegal and punishable by who knows what (probably stuck in a jail cell with Jar-Jar and Minmei *shudder*).

Added to the fact that the Jedi weren't really well liked for many, many years leading up to their deaths at the hands of His Vaderness, it's a sure thing that the people of the galaxy would be more than happy to forget everything ever involved with them.

Besides, Luke and Leia, and even Han to some extent, are the generation after that Purge, and we all know how well succeeding generations remember the stuff that happened before :rolleyes:

Actually, yes X-Wing Alliance would be exactly that. Official.

As opposed to "canon." :ph34r:

IIRC, the EU has implied that the Emperor makes the Jedi scapegoats for the Clone Wars in a sort of "official Retcon". ;)

Guns on tips of wings = hard deflection shots..............

Not really. If you've played X-Wing alliance, many of the fighters had automatic convergance on the wing mounted guns. So no matter what the range between you and it (it being whatever it may be on the buisness end of your guns), your guns were properly set for proper convergance. Now, granted X-Wing Alliance isn't exactly "official", but it was a nifty concept.

except for the Z-95... you had to manually set the convergence distance on the Z-95...

alright, I admit it, I've played that game far too often for my own good :p

Speaking of which.. yeah, we should be seeing Z-95s, Y-Wings, and Victory Star Destroyers, shouldn't we?

The official site has put up the first image in the "Art of Episode 3" section. Fans had been speculating that this was some kind of X-Wing predecessor, but apart from the s-foils I don't see much of a resemblence. I do like the WW2 style extended canopy, though. I dub this fighter the space-Stuka. :lol:

Can you give me the link where you found this?

As far as the Jedi being ancient in IV....

can we not say the same for Member's Only Jackets, an '84 Camaro, and the original Macintosh computer? All are about 20 years old in our time. :D:p

I've no problem with it.

To me "ancient" is Babylon, the Pyramids, the Hoplites, Agamemnon, the Siege of Troy... that kind of stuff. "Ancient" carries a connotation of thousands of years in the past. Something 20 years old is just recent history to me... then again it seems the older a person gets the closer the past is to them. I'm 34 and to me 1984 seems almost four weeks ago. I remember everything clearly as the day it happened... I was what, 14 then? People still drive 20 year old cars and wear 20 year old clothes... more to the subject the Y-wing fighters in ANH are supposed to be about 20 years old when the movie takes place. So if they have a fighter bomber from the time of the death of the jedi does that not mean the rebellion is flying "ancient" fighters?

Ancient compared to an X-Wing or TIE Interceptor? You bet!

Unfortunately, your "point-of-view" (as Ben Kenobi would like to say) isn't the one that was being referenced.

"Sad devotion to that ancient religion" is the only time I recall the Jedi being mentioned in that context. And look at the source. :lol:

I know what sarcasm is I'm just remarking on how the new movies and the old movies fail to marry up in a lot of the small details. I'm still one of those guys that believes ANH was a one-off stand alone movie and should have always been that until it's rampant sucess prompted King George to pull the "I really wrote six movies!" thing out of his ass.

In it's own context back in the day without the other movies or outside materials exsisting yet ANH gave the viewer the feeling that the jedi have been dead for a very, very long time. It is not until you see the other movies that you determine that the died out a lot closer to the "present day" than they seem.

In it's own context back in the day without the other movies or outside materials exsisting yet ANH gave the viewer the feeling that the jedi have been dead for a very, very long time. It is not until you see the other movies that you determine that the died out a lot closer to the "present day" than they seem.

I think you're remembering the films a bit differently than what's actually portrayed in New Hope. Ben speaks of this "Vader" fellow helping kill off the Jedi, including Luke's father. Luke's age wasn't spelled out in the film, but it's accepted that he's somewhere from 18-20 years of age. Therefore, if Luke's father was to "die" with the Jedi, it couldn't ahve happened any longer ago than Luke's age, ie 18-20 years past.

From the script:

BEN

An elegant weapon for a more

civilized time. For over a

thousand generations the Jedi

Knights were the guardians of

peace and justice in the Old

Republic. Before the dark times,

before the Empire.

Luke hasn't really been listening.

LUKE

How did my father die?

BEN

A young Jedi named Darth Vader,

who was a pupil of mine until he

turned to evil, helped the Empire

hunt down and destroy the Jedi

Knights. He betrayed and murdered

your father. Now the Jedi are all

but extinct. Vader was seduced

by the dark side of the Force.

This clearly implies that the Jedi were eliminated somewhere within Luke's lifetime.

Motti's ill-advised critique of Vader's beliefs

MOTTI

Don't try to frighten us with your

sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your

sad devotion to that ancient

religion has not helped you conjure

up the stolen data tapes, or given

you clairvoyance enough to find the

Rebel's hidden fort...

Suddenly Motti chokes and starts to turn blue under Vader's spell.

Since they existed for "Over a thousand generations" I think the Jedi's beliefs qualify as ancient.

And Tarkin's comments on the Jedi:

TARKIN

The Jedi are extinct, their fire

has gone out of the universe.

You, my friend, are all that's

left of their religion.

To me the trick line is "Helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights". We have no frame of reference of how long that took. I always equate the Jedi to the Samurai of Japan... look how long it took after the coming of the new age in Japan for the Samurai to get weeded out. From Ben's speach the elimination of the Jedi could have taken quite a few years to accomplish, in the meantime Luke's "father" (keeping in mind the context of the first movie Lukes father and Vader are not the same person yet) could have fathered Luke later in his life at some point before he was killed. Luke's father could have also been one of the last Jedi like Obiwan, being killed only "recently" compared to the others. Vader being called a "young pupil" also puts the hook in me that this all happened a long, long time ago. As Vader is a machine now and incapable of being "aged" like Obiwan you can easily assume all this happened quite a while back. Add to that the mysticism in the first movie that the Jedi seem to defy age and death... who knows how old Obiwan really was, even Vader or "Luke's father" for that matter.

It's all in how you percieve the dialogue in the first movie. It's the following movies that put it all in a more time concerned context.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

I could've swore I heard somewhere that there is a possibility of the saga continuing.....possibly in a TV series.... I wish I could find that refrence. I'm pretty sure it said that they weren't certain what format it would be ie, animated, live actor series or movie. That might be what the gag order is about. I wouldn't be supprised if it is animated for a few reasons,

1. Lucas is starting an animation studio in HK I believe

2. The success of the Clone wars animated micro-series

3. It would be easier to continue with the original cast since there is a 20 year difference now....if of course he wanted to do a direct continuation.

Chris

Interesting. From Cinescape website:

Recent reports published by STAR WARS and movie film websites have hinted that George Lucas may be considering making a third STAR WARS trilogy of films. Last week an anonymous email was sent to this website from someone claiming that non-disclosure agreements had been presented to employees of Industrial Light & Magic pertaining to working on EPISODES VII - IX of the space opera. With rumors that a STAR WARS television series was quietly in development (we've heard it as well), could Lucas be entertaining the notion of going back to his original plan of making nine STAR WARS movies?

E! Online decided to check with Lucasfilm about the rumor. According to Lucasfilm representative Lynn Fox, the story is 100% incorrect and there was never an NDA for a third STAR WARS movie trilogy issued to employees. "STAR WARS EPISODE III -- REVENGE OF THE SITH is our last and final installment," Fox told E! Online. What is interesting to note is that while the Lucasfilm rep dismissed the movie trilogy, the door was left open for a TV series.

Chris

• 1 year later...
Just a reminder that Episode III on DVD will be in stores tomorrow. Now to wait for the complete collection box set...

341287[/snapback]

oddly I'm looking forward to this DVD even though the movie was a bit meh for me. the extras sound very interesting.

oddly I'm looking forward to this DVD even though the movie was a bit meh for me. the extras sound very interesting.

341305[/snapback]

Speaking of box's, rumor was that some retailer would have a slipcase for all 3 movies, but I haven't been able to verify.

-Best Buy - Lenticolor card for Rewards Zone members

-Target - Darth Vader coin

-Circuit City - 11.99

-Satan - Bonus DVD with C3PO & R2-D2 special

I know what sarcasm is I'm just remarking on how the new movies and the old movies fail to marry up in a lot of the small details. I'm still one of those guys that believes ANH was a one-off stand alone movie and should have always been that until it's rampant sucess prompted King George to pull the "I really wrote six movies!" thing out of his ass.

193154[/snapback]

i agree here; i always thought given the dialogue of ANH and the ending of ROTJ that Vader was much older when luke and leia were born and that the jedi lasted much longer than shown in ROTS.

an audience doesnt have to see the war miinute by minute to know whats gonna happen. Too late now, but i would have preferred longer spans over time than those depicted.

1-anakin is born

2-his dark beginnings the teenage years

3- adult hood and the beginiing of war

4- his middle years War starts and he doubts the virtues of the Jedi.

5- love and the conception of his offspring

6-all out war and he's off battling not knowing he's a father

7-the kids are growing up and he does't know and maybe thinks they (the family) are dead.

8-he turns to the Dark side

9- more battles he suffers injury after injury arms legs etc..

10- Darth Vader rises and the jedi are exterminated over time

THEN begins A New Hope

there goes the crappy parts no Jar jar and stiff love scenes etc...

EDIT: see thats the movie i wanted i'm not up for the DVDs until thier in the Bargain Bin ; Oh and i can't wait to see how things get changed b/c Lucas didn't like a scene and wants to digitally modify it!

Edited by Macross73

-Satan - Bonus DVD with C3PO & R2-D2 special

341309[/snapback]

Er, I think you mean Walmart? <_<

Have you been channeling Michael Moore's spirit recently or what? Going out of your way like that to smear Walmart is typical of liberals who love medocrity and hate success.

And I say this even though I was let go from a Walmart about 13 years ago after just two months of employement (didn't like the position anyway and it was for the best) and my mom has been an employee of a competing retailer for nearly 20 years.