Huge Transformers News at Comic Con 2004.

....the Live Action Transformers movie?

http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17982

Hey folks, Harry here... Over at super-producer - Don Murphy's website you'll notice a tiny Optimus Prime... if you click it you'll be sent to a pop up window that says that there will be a MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT AT COMIC CON. Intrigued by the emails alerting me to this, I've begun to dig around.

Last time I had checked, New Line and Dreamworks - and last I'd heard... it was pretty vicious, with both companies really really wanting it. So I decided to check back in with some sources that will talk. Word has it that New Line lost out to Dreamworks, which intends to further develop and make a live-action TRANSFORMER's movie. The word behind the scenes is that Hasbro was leaning towards New Line, till Dreamworks' 2 Billion Dollar Gorilla, Steven Spielberg got in a plane and flew out to Rhode Island to personally meet with Hasbro's team and to dangle the, if we have this, I may direct it, golden carrot. After which Hasbro agreed to Dreamworks getting the project.

The project has continued to be in intense development by Don Murphy and his partner on the project Tom DeSanto, who is literally electric about all things Transformers... and if you talk to him this weekend at San Diego Comic Con about Transformers, you'll see his eyes light up and he'll be excited as a school boy being let out for summer.

I'm not entirely sure if the announcement at Comic Con will merely be Dreamworks' involvement... or if it will include talent attachments and possibly even a director's involvement, though the folks I spoke to said they didn't believe things were at that stage. I'm also hearing that this is a huge Summer 06 film. There's also rumors stirring regarding Don's other Dreamworks project... Guillermo Del Toro's feature adaptation of AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS, though nothing set in stone yet. Damn that Murphy guy is busy! Cool projects, that's for sure!

A live action Transformers movie is either gonna be increadibly silly or err.............increadibly silly.

I'm not saying that just because I dislike transfomers, but I just honestly can't see how the heck the concept could work in the live-action format without having a huge 'giggle factor' attached. Sorry, I just think it would be impossible to watch with a straight face.

(Edit in)

Just to add, I'm not trying to bash Transformers (honestly). I can understand people's attraction to the cartoon, toys and comics, even if I don't like them myself, but I just can't see any director beeing able to pull off a live-action version.

I will admit to not being a total Tf hater. I did watch the Tf movie at the cinema in the 80s and enjoyed it and even own it on bootleg DVD (the only peice of Tf merchandise I've ever owned).

Graham

i had heard about this before, it sounds like a very bad idea, i do not know how they are going to pull this of but i can see it sucking already

I'd prefer if they made a toy story-esque cg movie.

Or maybe take the realistic "final fantasy: the movie" approach than live action.

I just saw the 80s movie on dvd the other day and liked it. I've never noticed it before but there is a macross easter egg within the movie heh

There is where? what macross easter egg? In teh TF movie?

I'd prefer Spielberg doesn't direct it. I like the guy but I think he'll towards A Boy and his Robot rather than Saving Optimus Prime. <_<

No way Spielberg would sully his hands with this. Looks like AICN is thinking Zemeckis might be involved. Transforming DeLoreans? :lol:

Hey folks, Harry here... the rumor mill seems to be cranking on TRANSFORMERS now... We'll find out for sure at ComicCon whenever Don Murphy makes his announcement, but from sources inside CAA the word has come in regarding this film. Robert Zemeckis is looking for his film to follow THE POLAR EXPRESS. The experience he's had with the mo-cap innovations have been truly remarkable. Word has it that Spielberg was so impressed by the process that he's genuinely intrigued about experimenting with it himself. Apparently, the word going around CAA at the moment is that Zemeckis is no longer available, as he's going to make TRANSFORMERS. As a project that would be highly technical, it looks like Zemeckis' plan is to marry what he's learned in making the all CG movie, that he shot with essentially the world's greatest rotoscope process, with the vitality of the live-action world. If true, then a fairly awesome film will await us. Let's see if I'm hearing truth or fiction... are my sources autobots or decepticons... We'll see this weekend.

I just want them to make a really heartfelt powerballad out of the Theme Song. Someone call Train!

Like Graham I've never been a fan of Transformers...tried watching it a few times, in all of its incarnations, over the years from the time I was a kid and was never able to get into any of it; the concept of the show just never appealed to me. Having said that, I think that a live action version would be, by far, the worst interpretation of a much loved--by many--franchise.

There are two movies that came to mind immediately as soon as I read this thread: The odiously silly Power Rangers movie of a few years back (at least that was live action to begin with...very bad live action), and the upcoming Thunderbirds movie...talk about raping a childhood memory, those previews on TV look so incredibly bad that they make me cringe every time they're shown.

Some things are just better left alone.

If they keep it to its best ideas and hopefully use the better DW script ideas it could be very cool.

We all know this wont happen though. I can see it being as bad of a turd as the Van Damme Street Fighter movie.

:angry:

BT / Alternator movie anyone? They just seem highly appropriate for life action movie since they can just use real car for car mode instead of going CG for that too. If they really get Spielberg's name on it, I can see the auto makers line up to bid for screen time, and the final movie will see more racing in car mode then shooting up things. :p We may even see Optimus as a Ford Explorer. :lol:

I used to be a huge Transformers fan (though I hate Armada and Energon, and Think Beast Machines, while well written for the most part, was not a good Transformers story and mangled the characters presented in Beast Wars), but I've got to agree with Graham. Live action is not the way to go with this.

All CG, including CG for any human characters, would be more in the right direction, though I still don't see it topping a well animated 2D movie. Also....for a final confrontation, and a main villain...just how in heck do you top Unicron?!?

When they say it is going to be live action, to me that says Humans are going to take a front seat in the story and all the robots are going to be side characters. Honestly a Live action transformers movie sounds fine to me just as long as humans don't have a huge role in the movie, or if possible, no part at all. They could do something like they did with Disney's Dinosaur and just drop Robots into the scene. But in the end, I think human interaction is pretty much set in stone, how else do they become robots that transform into jets and cars..

I'm guessing this will be a kid oriented movie, like the thunderbirds movie coming out...

then again, if anyone caught the GI-joe/transformers crossover comic, the one set during WWII... it is possible to do a gritty transformers story....

but I'm going with the kiddy adaptation, mostly since that's the way the shows and toys have been going.

this movie is going to suck suck suck & suck some more! All I can say is I hope it never comes to past! They should just stick with the current series & a make a movie with it, personaly I think a movie with in the current line would rock!

there is one scene in the movie, when Ultra Magnus, Springer etc are on the planet of Junk, on one of the TV screens you see a girl that looks just like Minmei...thats the only thing I can think of as being the easter egg...may be wrong though.

I gotta bad feeling about this as well. They should get a top flight anime company and make a animated movie. Or they could go total CG like shrek, Final Fantasy or Ice age.

Will the movie be targeted torwards children or adults? Will Hasbro think outside the box and okay an adult oriented film? I really don't care because no matter what the 30 something fanboys will cry. They could make a live action version "identical" to the original miniseries (frame by frame scene by scene) and people would cry for something new. Filmakers make something new and fanboys will cry that they want g1. Hasbro and the movie makers are in a no win situation.

Most G1 figures are crap ass bricks and the show is real bad. Nastalgia makes them great. :p

Edited by Myriad

A live action Transformers movie is either gonna be increadibly silly or err.............increadibly silly.

I'm not saying that just because I dislike transfomers, but I just honestly can't see how the heck the concept could work in the live-action format without having a huge 'giggle factor' attached. Sorry, I just think it would be impossible to watch with a straight face.

(Edit in)

Just to add, I'm not trying to bash Transformers (honestly). I can understand people's attraction to the cartoon, toys and comics, even if I don't like them myself, but I just can't see any director beeing able to pull off a live-action version.

I will admit to not being a total Tf hater. I did watch the Tf movie at the cinema in the 80s and enjoyed it and even own it on bootleg DVD (the only peice of Tf merchandise I've ever owned).

Graham

Have you ever seen transformers the movie?

That didnt have any giggle factor and was more "realistic" than minmay's singing stunts....

To quote someone:no Arnold = not a good movie. :p

Seriously, this movie is gonna suck. Why now to make a Transformer live action movie? Does Hollywood have any shame? My god! How damn movies can they make by raping the past TV shows, movies, books and comics? Give me a break... sounds like creators are scrapping the bottom of the barrell.

To quote someone:no Arnold = not a good movie. :p

Seriously, this movie is gonna suck. Why now to make a Transformer live action movie? Does Hollywood have any shame? My god! How damn movies can they make by raping the past TV shows, movies, books and comics? Give me a break... sounds like creators are scrapping the bottom of the barrell.

Dude, you didn't know that Optimus was inspired by Arnold!!?? :rolleyes: I menan come on... They are like the same person, except one is a truck.

Ugh. Live action. Why live action? Leave the humans out of this and just make it an ANIMATED movie about the war on Cybertron. Hmmm...I missed it but they didn't say it'd be G1 did they?

(Suddenly I'm left thinking about the scene in the Clerks cartoon where a car transforms into a robot with passengers still inside, killing them all. :lol: Morbid, I know but funny still.)

(Edit in)

Graham

Have you ever seen transformers the movie?

That didnt have any giggle factor and was more "realistic" than minmay's singing stunts....

Err....read the last paragraph of my post which you are quoting, it answers your question :D

Graham

from IGN.com -

July 22, 2004 - IGN FilmForce has learned that the live-action feature film version of The Transformers will indeed be a DreamWorks project, which confirms rumors that appeared online earlier this week. DreamWorks Pictures has inked a deal with toy king Hasbro to make The Transformers; Paramount Pictures will handle the foreign rights. Also confirming earlier Web buzz, DreamWorks honcho Steven Spielberg did indeed use his personal relationship with Hasbro founder Alan Hassenfeld to bring The Transformers over to DreamWorks.

Even better, Hasbro and DreamWorks have agreed to get Transformers going very quickly, with a 2006 release date already set!

Furthermore, G.I. Joe producer Lorenzo DiBonaventura may become involved with the project in some capacity on behalf of Paramount. Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto are already onboard to produce Transformers. Expect the trades to confirm this report sometime very soon.

IGN FilmForce has been able to sneak a peek at a press release which includes quotes from producers DeSanto and Murphy. "Like X-Men, Transformers offers an amazing mythology with all the elements to create a successful ongoing franchise, iconic characters, global themes, and a world that has never been seen before on screen," said DeSanto. "We hope that this will be the first in a franchise that is embraced by fans and newcomers alike."

"If you go to places which are the pop culture zeitgeist center, places like this week's San Diego Comic-Con, you won't find many that engender as much enthusiasm as Transformers," said Murphy. "I have a message board on my site where most of my projects have several hundred postings from fans – when Transformers recently hit 8000 postings I knew we had something really incredible."

Needless to say, The Transformers are based on the hugely popular Japanese toy line from the 1980s, which spawned a few comic book series and a hit TV show. Cartoon Network is readying another animated Transformers series.