The AX2004 Thread

Well, I just returned from Day 1 of the AX2004. Took a lot of pics, which I'll post sometime tomorrow night. After having to wait in line for 2 1/2 hours to get my I.D., I proceeded to tour the Anaheim Convention Center with a couple of rookie anime fans I met in line.

But before that, I bumped into voice actors Lex Lang (Space Pirate Captain Herlock: The Endless Odyssey, Gineas in Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team), Dave Wittenberg (Kei in Please Teacher!, Saito in Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex) and Sandy Fox (Sumomo in Chobits, Marie in Please Teacher!/Please Twins). If you have seen Chobits dubbed, what you hear as Sumomo is Sandy Fox's actual voice.

On to the booths...

Media Blasters

Told the reps that Figure 17 is their best title this year. In a way, they couldn't agree more and they never expected the title to be so good. I ended up coughing up $120 to get all six DVDs of the series.

Bandai Entertainment

Got a free Wolf's Rain poster. Told the two rookies to check out Witch Hunter Robin and Yukikaze.

Viz, LLC

Once again met senior official Toshifumi Yoshida. He told me that the whole "Side-Kick Wave" snafu on vol. 1 of Dangaio was the reason why he took up translating anime.

ADV Films/Suncoast

Didn't bother to join the crowd in the company's annual freebie throwing. ADV reps threw out posters, panties (from Najica Blitz Tactics, in case you didn't get their punch line) and stuffed Menchi (Excel Saga) and Jonathan (Kaleido Star) dolls.

Geneon Entertainment

Managed to get autographs from Tsukihime's character designer Kaoru Ozawa and director Katsushi Sakurabi. Shortly afterwards, I got autographs from R.O.D -The TV-'s character designer Masashi Ishihara, director Koji Masunari and screenplay writer Hideyuki Kurata.

Manga Entertainment

Met Keith Burgess once again. Guess what his answer was when I asked him about releasing Gunbuster on DVD...

Super Techno Arts

Well, aside from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, the company is releasing a movie titled Shadow. They were also selling Urotsukidoji art books as well.

Bang Zoom! Entertainment

Once again bumped into Lex Lang and Sandy Fox. Bought Lex's music CD and had him autograph it. He's really cool in person.

That's it for today. Will return for the Day 2 report.

I wasn't there myself, but I just found out on another forum that Man-Faye showed up and was promtly thrown out. :lol:

I'd give you guys the link, but since it's got pictures of the incident and Man-Faye in all her...err..his...err...its...er...glory... :blink: you'll have to PM me for it.

Some new robotech news "robotech shadows" is in production (see robotech.com for more info) and they said they do have the Rights to do Macross DYRL for worldwide release. We sae the new Robotech invasion game as well. Only PS2 and Xbox. Only cyclone game, no playing alpha fighters in the game. I know some of the members were in the panel, so they should shed more light on this subject. I was kind of sleeping during the panel @_@;; (only 2 hours sleep the other night)

Oh yeah, lots of cosplay pics!! Question, do we post AX2004 cosplay pics here or in teh "hot chick" topic?

Edit: Sorry Mods, I did not read the other "hot chick" thread, before I posted the pic. I didn't want to repeat what just happened :(

post-26-1088928678_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunbuster

In this case it's okay to post the link (with a warning :lol: ) but please no posting the pics here.

You heard him! He's given his permission, so no throwing rocks at me if this is your first time seeing him.

Don't click on the following link if you don't like to see hairy chubby men wearing super-small hotpants. :wacko:

Man Faye gets busted!

P.S. Apperently it ends up he didn't get kicked out after all, they let him back in as long as he covered up. :angry:

So would a woman wearing the exact same Faye outfit be allowed in AX without a trenchcoat?

Good question. Judging by those pics it look he might have been making a scene in general which would have drawn the attention of security.

If a woman had the same hairy and flabby ass I would want her to wear a coat as well. If it was a firmer, hairless ass (female or male) would it be less offensive? Some people are just dressing up or down for attention/shock value. While it pleases the eye to see a healthy half-naked female body their ittentions are the same as the of the owner of an unhealthy half-naked male body.

You could rightfully ask both of them, "Have you no shame?"

Day 2: July 3, 2004

I came in at around 9:30 and proceeded to the third floor.

Live in Concert: MIQ (pronounced "Miku")

The artist formerly known as MIO performed many of her old-school anime songs from Sentou Mecha Xabungle, Aura Battler Dunbine, Area 88 and Heavy Metal L-Gaim. She also did the theme of Cybuster from the Super Robot Wars series, as well as her version of the ending theme of Yuusha-Oh GaoGaiGar FINAL, before ending the show with "Men of Destiny", the opening theme from Mobile Suit Gundam 0083.

Live in Concert: Yoko Ishida ( 石田燿子 )

If someone drew a huge crowd that day, it was J-Pop singer Yoko Ishida. Dressed in an indigo kimono, she started the show with "Towa no Hana" (Ai Yori Aoshi). She then performed songs from Gunparade March and Texhnolyze, as well as two original songs from her CD Sweets. Afterwards, she performed two songs from her upcoming Anime/Eurobeat cover CD Hyper Yocomix - "Let Me Be With You" (Chobits) and "Asu e no Brilliant Road" (Stellvia). The show ended with "Takaramono" (Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~).

There was an autograph signing, but 3/4 of the line (including myself) was told to leave. :angry: Will try getting Yoko-chan to autograph my CD tomorrow.

Bang Zoom! Entertainment

I attended their panel, where they had fans try their voice acting skills on sample clips from Witch Hunter Robin and Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~. Representing the group were producer Eric P. Sherman, producer Kaeko Sakamoto (Mokona in Magic Knight Rayearth, Utsume in Ai Yori Aoshi) and talents Dave Wittenberg (Kei in Please Teacher!/Please Twins, Kaoru in Ai Yori Aoshi), Wendee Lee (Faye in Cowboy Bebop, Kiyone in Tenchi Muyo!) and Kari Wahlgren (Witch Hunter Robin, Edith in Yukikaze).

Shortly after the tryouts, the staff had a trivia question: Name five works from Bang Zoom! Entertainment. Since I named Chobits, Ai Yori Aoshi, Witch Hunter Robin, Heat Guy J and Figure 17, I won a Chobits pencil board autographed by Michelle Ruff (Chii) and Sandy Fox (Sumomo).

After the show, I talked to the staff and cast, who were extremely friendly. I also bumped into Mary McGlynn (Motoko in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Urd in Ah! My Goddess: The Movie), who remembers me from the time we met at the Wizard World Con this past March. Eric and Wendee noticed I was wearing a Heat Guy J T-shirt and asked where I got it. I told them about the huge T-shirt booth downstairs; I hope they managed to buy theirs.

Macross Panel

Unfortunately, Shawn couldn't make it. Hosting the show were Egan Loo and veteran translator Neil Nadelman. Nothing much happened other than previewing Macross Zero episode 4 and the Macross PS2 game. Mr. Nadelman also checked out a 1/48 VF-1J (Max type) Valkyrie. and was very impressed by it.

--

Day 3: July 4, 2004

Today, I came back with plans to score an autograph from Yoko Ishida after the whole fiasco that happened yesterday, but I decided to wait in line for the Tomokazu Seki (Van in Escaflowne, Sousuke in Full Metal Panic!) panel.

Tomokazu Seki ( 関 智一 )

Sporting blond hair, he made his appearance to the delight of hundreds of fan girls. Most of the questions submitted were pretty random, but he managed to answer most of them:

- He likes cats, but he's allergic to them.

- He's afraid that if he stops smoking, his voice acting won't be the same.

- He drives two Nissans; one of them being an Elgrand (minivan).

- He doesn't have a particular favorite role, but he mentions that his role as Domon Kasshu in Mobile Fighter G-Gundam is important, as it was his first lead role.

- He mentioned that one thing he fears is the duration of his character in a series. According to him, the easiest indication that your character in a Gundam series will die is a lengthy dialogue.

- At the end of the panel, he wished to return next year.

Afterwards, I waited in line for nearly two hours to get Tomokazu's autographed. He signed my Escaflowne Ultimate Edition box.

Geneon Entertainment

I managed to get autographs of Submarine 707R director Shoichi Masuo and character designer Minoru Murao. The cool part was that Murao-san did character sketches on my Submarine 707R and Last Exile boards.

Day 4 report coming tomorrow night.

Edited by areaseven

I wasn't there myself, but I just found out on another forum that Man-Faye showed up and was promtly thrown out. :lol:

Okay, I was hoping no one would mention that person, but since it's too late...

On Friday, while waiting in line to receive my badge, I was at least 150 meters away from the entrance when I saw a vague figure in red and yellow from that distance. From that point, I yelled, "MAN-FAYE ALERT!" and everyone turned around. Too bad I didn't see the person get kicked out.

However, I saw a couple of people wearing yellow T-shirts that said, "I slapped Man-Faye's ass and all I got was this stupid T-shirt."

Man Fay and the double standard that dwells. I trhink it is BS they made Man Fay cover up. If he was a chick, they would hold the door open for her.

This same double standard plagues many places. I think it is BS that a chick can walk into a club with pasties over her nipples, a skirt with her @$$ hanging out and open toed shoes but they won't let a guy in because his shirt is not collard/ has writing on it or because his shoes are sneakers or sandles. :p

post-26-1089007375.gif

Man Fay and the double standard that dwells. I trhink it is BS they made Man Fay cover up. If he was a chick, they would hold the door open for her.

This same double standard plagues many places. I think it is BS that a chick can walk into a club with pasties over her nipples, a skirt with her @$$ hanging out and open toed shoes but they won't let a guy in because his shirt is not collard/ has writing on it or because his shoes are sneakers or sandles. :p

Welcome to the world of double-standards. It's called "real life" and sooner or later, we all need to deal with it.

Zeta gundam is delayed with no new release date yet......

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

(Note: mods should excuse the above use of profanity as it's the absolute only possible response to such news).

In addition: If you want to see man faye walking around in all his manfaye glory, that's your business. But if it's ok to double standard against women walking around iwthout their shirts on, then it should just as much be ok to double standard against manfaye walking around uncovered. The only scary thing is that it add's an extra level of fear that me may flash somebody....

Edited by Keith

At least I had the common sense to pick up the HK Zeta set last year. I foolishly believed Bandai when they said F91 would be out this year & figured I'd wait on that. Now the HK of that is nowehre to be found.............BAH!

Now the HK of that is nowehre to be found.............BAH!

I got mine years ago, I think the reason you don't see them anymore is because Bandai is now too busy cracking down on boots instead of putting their own version out on schedule.

Edited by Jolly Rogers

Dammit they delayed Zeta AGAIN. :angry:

At least they promised new good box art.

Edited by Anubis

People should get the hint by now. They have no actual plans to release Zeta. They just like to get people's hopes up by saying it is on the way (Otakon 2 years ago, it was 'on the way'). Then they go back to the offices and have a good laugh at all the fans that are looking forward to it. It might be released in 5 years.