easier way!

VF-19 pilot!!!

hello all,

i decided to put this in the toys section beacsue i used this product on my 1/60's and 48's

anyway...the product is called "Goof Off 2" i know that it sounds stupid but it works like a charm!!!! :D

no more scrubing with this baby, just fill in the panel lines with a perminent marker preferably a "Sharpie" then spray some on a towel or whatever and just whipe away...panel lines stay and you still have the original white of the valk with out any smuges or darkening of the surface area.

you can get it at the home depot ...for about $4.95 and well worth it. it also helps if you mess up on paint jobs!!! :lol:

tomm i will take pics of some of the jobs i have done. they look incredible!!! :D

hope you all try this one :D

alan.

Just a word of warning, some of those gunk removals can damage or weaken plastics. I have not had any such problems if you don't count an experiment with a graffiti removal spray and a jetfire wing. That stuff ate plastic like it was lunch.

Just a word of warning, some of those gunk removals can damage or weaken plastics. I have not had any such problems if you don't count an experiment with a graffiti removal spray and a jetfire wing. That stuff ate plastic like it was lunch.

Good thing you brought that up!!!

yea I basicly do the same thing use a sharpie, but i use rubbing alcohol instead t works great. i have never had a problem with my gundam kits.

It looks good from 3 feet away but the closeups are blurry. Stand back, set your camera to the highest setting, take the shop and cut the surrounding background out for a managable size.

Also, is it me or do the panel lines look purplish blue black? Like the color was thinned out?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip and the pics. I haven't panel line my valks yet, but I don't quite like the look of the Sharpie for the lining, it looks "too Sharpie" to me. I've worked with Sharpies many times (I'm and artist) and it has a very disctintive black tone to it.

Besides the lines look too dark for me. I've been looking for a medium grey fine marker, but I can't find one yet.

Well, I STILL prefer to stick with the look and the ease of use of a 0.5mm mechanical pencil. You can do smearing/blurring very easily, and if you slip, just use a regular soft eraser. :D AND, you don't get dark black lines; insted, a nice medium grey (depending on the graphite you choose).

But, it is always nice to have options available. B))

Edited by Jedi Knight

Well, I STILL prefer to stick with the look and the ease of use of a 0.5mm mechanical pencil. You can do smearing/blurring very easily, and if you slip, just use a regular soft eraser. :D AND, you don't get dark black lines; insted, a nice medium grey (depending on the graphite you choose).

But, it is always nice to have options available. B))

The way to go! Thats what I do. B))

word of advice before ANYHONE tries this.

Sharpie markers over time, their lines will fade from a dark color to dull/bright purple. This has happened to everything I have panel lined since i started in 99. So yes almost all my MSIA have purple tint from the lines. Pencil does indeed work best for now and at the same time sharpies are too big to line with. Use either micron sakura pigment or the pentech fine line mm pens.

what is a "sharpie" ? :unsure:

a brand?

Sharpie (the brand name) is a popular permanent ink marker that comes in different tips (chisel, point, etc) and is predominantly black. best used for writing the names of bootleg anime on a cd-r :p (just a joke!)

no offense to the author but i dont like the look of sharpies on valks. i would prefer a solid black marker that didn't fade.

anyone have pics of graphite pencil based valks?

Serious now: What kind of graffite is best to panel lining? HB? 2B? other?

Well, actually, personal preference, I think. But for all of mine, so far, I have used plain HB.

some more caution on the use of sharpies... even just applied sharpie black isn't a mat black, it's more of a deep dark purple and it is shiny. it looks very much like ink.

I wouldn't recommend using sharpies to do any detail work on models and certainly not for panel lining.... and especially for larger areas like on 1/48s...

Not to try and steal anyones thunder but the best most fool prrof way I have done panel lines, mostly on models but should work on yamatos, is using pastel chalk mixed in water with a little dish detergent added to reduce the surface tension of the water. It works great cleans VERY easy. It is also easy to remove the lines if you mess up or don't like them. The original article I got the idea from can be seen here. Aircraft Resource Center -- Chalk washes

Not to try and steal anyones thunder but the best most fool prrof way I have done panel lines, mostly on models but should work on yamatos, is using pastel chalk mixed in water with a little dish detergent added to reduce the surface tension of the water. It works great cleans VERY easy. It is also easy to remove the lines if you mess up or don't like them. The original article I got the idea from can be seen here. Aircraft Resource Center -- Chalk washes

thanks for the link man! :)

that sounds even easier than my "pencil then rub" technique, though my way is pretty idiot proof too. either way, its a heck of alot quicker! B))

So far that method is pretty good for me. I tried using an oil paint wash without much luck. this method has been great for me. try it out but make sure you post pics of your work afterward.

the sharpie on the Brownie doesnt look right. From my experience, and advice from a good friend of mine, use a red marker of sorts or what ever you like to use as a panel liner. the red seems counter intuitive but let me tell you it looks much better on brown. I dont have anything at the moment to take pics of but it loosk better. trust me. The red ends up looking darker against teh brown and sort of looks like a natural darkening of teh brown than black or even gray.

hi vf 19 pilot :lol:

just noticed your brownie yamato has a fast pack on. Did yours come with the holes for the fast pack or did you drill holes your self? I heard there are some variant vf-1a canon fodder with fast pack holes, but I only know one mw member that has one but forgot the name dam oh well. Anyways try panel lining with a darker shade than just black, like gray for light brown etc. :D

From Richard

Damn, that is easy!!! It'll be on my list next time I take a trip to the arts and crafts store!