1/100 Koenig Monster confirmed (Dengeki Hobby)

Shaggydog

As for the canon issue... if it was designed by Kawamori, then it's canon.  End of story.

I don't want to get into a big thing here. But just being designed by Kawamori does not make something "canon." The setting within which the mecha is placed must also be considered. In other words, a design by Kawamori that is placed within a non-canon work makes it a non-canon mecha.

I don't know enough about the Macross video games to speak intelligently about this. My understanding is that, by and large, the video games are considered canon. But I don't think anything Kawamori doodles on a napkin is automatically canon. That's a pretty open standard.

My bad - I meant to say, that for me, if Kawamori designed it on a napkin and wrote "Macross" next to it, I consider it canon. It's a personal statement, not any kind of law.

Of course this could lead to a million ethical questions, such as - "who decides if something is canon? Is there a canon police, etc..."

As for the Koenig Monster - it does not appear any anime that I know of, but it is part of VF-X2, a Macross game. It also appears in Macross: Designworks. So, it's a Macross design by the series designer/creator - Kawamori.

So, yes it's considered "canon" as it does appear in Macross products, but no, it's not in the anime. But then again, the Robotech YF-1R appears in the anime and we all know that's crap. ;)

To sum up... I guess it's pretty much up to personal opinion whether or not you consider the VB-6 as canon.

Edited by Blaine23

If it's listed here it's canon. Not to mention being in the Design Works, and stated before elsewhere that Kawamori originally wanted the VB-6 in Macross7, but didn't have it ready in time or something to that effect.

Back to topic, I am so excited about the VB-6, but I still feel the shadow of neglect regarding the -19.

Why do anyone care about the canon thing? Was there some sort of low-vis boycott that I missed?

There's nothing wrong with someone being curious about whether this is an "official" Macross mecha or not.

And, believe it or not, there are some of us who weren't terribly enamoured of the Low-Vis because it is not canon.

Further, if nobody every asked if the Low-vis was canon, and the question was never answered and a consensus arrive at, we wouldn't know if it was or not.

Man. . . some people's time is so precious. :)

H

If it's listed here it's canon.

The mardook (from Macross II) are listed there. I had always understood them to be non-canon since Macross II has essentially been disowned by Kawamori and banished to an "alternate universe."

The Compendium lists every mecha that has ever appeared in any Macross product, no? Is every Macross product ever released considered canon?

H

I bet Valkyrie is pissed off right now. Though the resin will still kick ass.

There's no way I would have ever been able to put it together though myself, so this is a sigh or relief.

:p Nah, I doubt he is that upset. After all, there are still people (myself included) who will still be thrilled to get the IHP Konig re-cast. He might even be slightly relieved if he has to produce less re-casts! ;)

And to answer an earlier question about which kit it is based on: Well, toys are always different than models but I would bet it is most closely based on the IHP Koenig Monster. (I think that is a pretty safe assumption since IHP's founder Mr. Sakuragawa now works as a sculptor for Yamato)

And to Hurin: The VB-6 Konig did make its first appearance in the VF-X2 game...but it was also *intended* to appear in M7 Dynamite. So it is indeed canon. :)

Melissa

Well, I am a big fan of the original Monster but have never liked the Koenig Monster much...and this certainly isn't going to change my mind.

Even if it looked as "sleek" as the line art I would be on the fence about it, but if the final looks anything like that...I will not even consider it.

Where is the REAL Monster?

If it's listed here it's canon.

The mardook (from Macross II) are listed there. I had always understood them to be non-canon since Macross II has essentially been disowned by Kawamori and banished to an "alternate universe."

The Compendium lists every mecha that has ever appeared in any Macross product, no? Is every Macross product ever released considered canon?

H

Just to clarify: I accept that it's canon. My only point here was that I'm not sure its inclusion on the Compendium's list is a certain indicator of such.

I'm just willing to accept everyone's claim that it was intended to be part of M7 and that Kawamori accepts it as such.

I'm done with the canon thing. Thanks to those who nicely pointed out why the consensus is that this mecha is canon.

Best Regards,

Hurin

The answer to the canon/non-canon question can be clarified by two points:

1) The non-canon/alternate universe (MII) stuff in the mecha listing at the Compendium all seem to have notes indicating their relationship to non-canon material. Not conclusive, but suggestive. The Konig Monster just has a normal listing without special notes of that sort.

2) More important, the Chronology includes the way that the various canon works fit together. Both VF-X and VF-X 2 are listed here as part of the main chronology, while MII is mentioned at the bottom as a parallel universe. Macross M3 is also listed as part of the standard chronology (in the preceding section).

But even though it's canonical, I think I'll skip the Konig Monster...just not my cup of tea.

The answer to the canon/non-canon question can be clarified by two points:

1) The non-canon/alternate universe (MII) stuff in the mecha listing at the Compendium all seem to have notes indicating their relationship to non-canon material. Not conclusive, but suggestive. The Konig Monster just has a normal listing without special notes of that sort.

2) More important, the Chronology includes the way that the various canon works fit together. Both VF-X and VF-X 2 are listed here as part of the main chronology, while MII is mentioned at the bottom as a parallel universe. Macross M3 is also listed as part of the standard chronology (in the preceding section).

But even though it's canonical, I think I'll skip the Konig Monster...just not my cup of tea.

As usual: a thoughtful, comprehensive, and balanced post from Ewilen.

Thanks man!

H

That scopedog DOES look incredible. I will own one along with the Koenig.

How tall will it be if it's 1/12 scale? 8 inches or so?

'scuse the OT, but..........

......for what it's worth......my Takara 1/24 Votoms (that I sold) come in at just about 6" w/ the canopy.

Could the 1/12 actually be 12" ??? The VB-6 is......... :rolleyes:

**EDIT** On closer glance at the scan you can make out "30" on the front view caption. May mean 30cm or just about 12".

post-4-1082684541_thumb.jpg

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Hello,

Great news, thank you Yamato!

I'm still going to get the IHP 1/100 VB-6 recast from Valkyrie. It will be cool to have both, but now I won't feel so pressured to commission someone to build it for me.

If anyone is considering cancelling, please let me know via PM once you've thought about it a little bit and decided for sure.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Man, 1/100... the one scale I was hoping it wouldn't be <_<

Those pics are pretty interesting (though I find it odd that they only published shuttle/bomber mode pics). It looks very similar to IHP's kit in almost every respect. The only noticeable differences I see are the 4 mini-feet, which are more recessed on the bottom than they are on the kit. And the kit has some exposed screws that I don't see on that prototype.

I'm guessing that they're re-working IHP's kit to make it into a toy they can make with injection molding (as opposed to starting over from scratch). A great surprise to no one, I'm sure. But still, I'm guessing that the Yamato VB-6 isn't anywhere near as close to production as those pics seem to indicate.

And while I'm posting, I might as well beat the topic into the ground a bit more.

Yes, the VB-6 Koenig Monster is canon :D

post-4-1082690044.jpg

I know this is the toy thread but can someone photoshop overlays or comparison pictures of IHP's 1/100 VB6 Resin kit and Yamato's versions? Both look the same to me since both have the same sculpter.

Too early for pre-orders huh? :p

Edited by Neova