Toys worth the high price?

abomb77

I've noticed Macross toys (and anime toys in general) are pretty expensive. This is unfortunate, as I am pretty stingy. Sixty dollars for a 1/60, over 100 dollars for a 1/48, another 50 for the FAST pak set, etc. I can't bring myself to spend over 50 dollars on a toy, no matter how cool it is. This means I'm pretty much limited to model kits (and I am too stingy to buy an airbrush). I've only broken down once and bought one 1/60.

I guess growing up most toys were under 20 bucks. And, at least with computers, cameras, etc, I can tell myself the thing actually does something. A toy just sits there and looks cool.

My brother thinks the prices for these toys are absurd. He sees toys at ToysRUs going for 20 bucks, then anime toys that look "slightly" cooler selling for 80 bucks. I understand that it costs a lot to make them. And you have to increase the price because you will sell a lot less than a mainstream toy.

Do any of you have the same problem? (Obviously many of you don't) How do you justify spending oodles of money on a toy?

Hopefully one day I'll break down and get that 1/48 I've always wanted...

How do you justify spending oodles of money on a toy?

Or how about oodles of money on multiple toys with a different paint job.

I don't too much worry about justifying my toy spending. I just hand my money blindlessly over to Yamato.

I've been thinking more and more lately before I plunk down another $100+ for the latest and greatest toy... especially since we moved into the house.

My sol'n has been to eBay off all the crap around the house - all the CDs are up for grabs and anything else that I haven't touched in yrs or likely won't ever again have been going up for auction. I feel less guily for spending money in my PayPal account - it doesn't feel like real money :) Helps the guilt.

Trading has also helped.

Good lord... do we really need to have a "why do I buy toys" thread weekly?

Either buy 'em or don't. Must we "share" our feelings about it?

Is one of you guys secretly Oprah? :rolleyes::p

Edited by Blaine23

:D Lets admit it, we like the details of the toys and to transform them.

I am living right now on USA and I have bought my Valks here and then left them in my parents house when I travel over there on vacations, and first thing I do when I get there is to get the boxes out of the closet, take the toy out of the box and put them on the desk for display. :lol:

And why not I hope they remain on good conditions for my future not yet born kids... :D

I spend a lot my money on toys. That is, if you call transmissions, suspensions, strut bars, shift knobs, exhausts, intakes, engine swaps..........etc, toys....

But, as for real toys, I hardly ever buy anything expesnive. I did get my one 1/48 Low Viz, but that was my only real exception. Just about anything else I have is less than 50 bucks. My 3 1/60s were 40 bucks each, YF-21FP was 50, fix figures were all under 40, and so on. Nothing else was even close to that much.

Now, there are things I will spend that much on that are kinda toys. For example, gundam models, and Airsoft.

One thing to remember about the high prices of a lot of what we get, though, is that we pay a huge premium for importation. For example, a 2500 yen MG sells for 40 bucks here. Or, you can get a Tokyo Marui MP5 RAS for Y19,800 in japan, but I paid $320 for mine.

the market is willing to bear the high price tag on the yammies so unless macross becomes unpopular or toy companies desided is cheaper to produce valks out of paper and charge 400 dollars causing no one to buy them its staying there.

One thing to remember about the high prices of a lot of what we get, though, is that we pay a huge premium for importation. For example, a 2500 yen MG sells for 40 bucks here. Or, you can get a Tokyo Marui MP5 RAS for Y19,800 in japan, but I paid $320 for mine.

Yes, let's not forget that importation can be a big part of the toy's cost.

And on that note..... as far as Macross toys go.... there is a reason why we have to import it and pay a higher cost than we could have otherwise paid...

Macross Licensing issues anyone? <_<

God, some people are cheap.

Truthfully, I've never considered myself a reckless spender, but to limit one's self to a $20-$50 price-point on an item simply because it gets stereotyped as a "toy" in my mind, just seems ludicrous. Unlike my parents, who are the cheapest people I know, and spend absurd amounts of time/effort to save a nickel on everything they buy, I've adopted a slightly different philosophy: you only live once, and you're here for a good time, not a long time, so enjoy.

That having been said, I don't want to wake up one day, look back and say that I've saved-up all this money, knowing that I won't be able to spend it when I die. To me, toys are a healthy part of everyday life, and if I really want something, whether it costs $10 or $10 000, if I really want it, there's a good chance I'll get it.

I think it really depends on how willing you are to spend the dough. I've bought a few 1/60s in the last couple years, but I tend to shop around alot before I consider buying one. I will say that noone is saying you have to buy all of them. Pick your favorite and go with that. I like the Fast Pack units personally. I still have not bought the Super Valkyrie however, mainly because I cannot find the Millia paint scheme.

I generally do my purchasing at conventions, mostly because I hate E-Bay with a passion that is rarely unrivaled, and 9 times out of 10 the item is from the same guy in HK charging an obscene shipping cost. It generally offsets the lower price point.

Bottom line; decide which one you want and go with that. You don't need all of them.

The price point at which I start to cringe for something that is not essential is $200. If a "toy" passes that mark then I might not get it as then it becomes just too expensive. Then again I'm a guy who will dump $100 down a high town resturant in one evening with the fiancee.

I was once one of the college students... eating mac and cheese for every meal, drinking tap water and wearing secondhand clothes because I had little to no money for anything, especially toys. But when it comes down to it, collectable toys are not for everyone. They are a rich man's hobby just like muscle cars, guns, boats, and art. How many people are there out there saying things like "I really want that 1970 Plymouth Hemi Roadrunner but I'm mad at them that they won't price one under $1,000 for me on my blue collar budget". Same argument can be made for home entertainment electronics, houses, cars... heck just about everything. The market drives the prices and when people with money pay that money for items the market tends to come to rest in that range.

Here is another honest question that pertains to this subject that I feel we need to clear up here as this question keeps coming up a lot on here:

Just how old are you and what sort of job or prior commitments do you have that does not allow you to buy the things you want?

My guess is that a good deal of the people complaining about prices are either kids (13-18) still in school with no real source of income, people with lots of prior commitments like kids of their own who don't have a lot of extra money to spend on trivial things like collectables, people who just don't make a lot of money or people like me that have the means to buy the toys but just don't like spending over a certain price point. Let's face it, life in general in the US is very expensive. You pretty much have to make a minimum of like $30,000 a year in this country to live in any sort of relative comfort. I know people still to this day who work at Target, make like $18,000 a year, live in rathole apartments and can barely afford to pay their car insurance let alone buy a $200 premium collector toy. I would just like to know if there are outlying reasons for people griping about collectalbe toy prices outside of "they should cost the same as US toys".

I myself am a thirty something college degreed veep of my own company (now an inc.!), I'm getting married in the next few months and I have no kids and we most likely will not have any. I make more than enough money from my job, investments and other business deals that I live a comfortable life... in all honesty I sometimes have more disposalbe income than I do bills some months. If I really, really wanted something I could buy it I guess but to me the principle of paying assloads in premiums or markups for something is the issue keeping me from getting it. Say if a toy "retails" for $99 I would start to bark if the importer doubled that price, or if a scalper tripled it just because I can't find one on the shelves at a TRU. I still remember the days of eating ramen noodles for months on end just to afford my books for the next school year and paying premiums for things I can get for much less in other ways is just plain dumb to me. Then again I'm a frugal bastard at times and a crazy nuts spender at others, because sometimes you need to just bite the bullet and jump on things lest you end up paying much more for the same thing months down the road.

A toy just sits there and looks cool.

Oh no, it doesn't just do that. With a little imagination, you can re-enact sequences from the show, have adventures where your toy does bad things to other toys.

Having the object in hand makes it so much easier to imagine. "Watch me transform in 30 seconds! This will decide whether we win or lose the battle today!"

Okay, so I have a problem with reality. :lol:

In response to JsArclight:

I am 26, and just started back to finish school (2 years tops thank God). I made my mistakes in not looking forward and just buying indiscriminintly. If anything, the pricing for this market has made me more aware of the things you mentioned in your post. Demand drives the cost, and if I want to continue with it, then I need to get that Degree and a real job, doing what I wanted to do.

BTW

Congrats on the engagement!

Are toys worth the high price? I would say No, however I am a model person, I prefer detail over playablilty. I did however spend 60 dollars on a vf-1j fastback once, and actually fealt dissapponted. I do however look forward to getting that cool armored 1/60 upgrade.

Must... Buy... Yamato... Toys... By Your Command.

Hi author,

It's depend what your hobbies are... This ex stuffs are more suitable towards toy/mac-ollecters.tats why absurd for kids to play with. As you should aware mainly working adults here.

there're also ppl who keep 1only just to save $$$ & maintain their interest level. Toys can be investment too(if u holding old/rare/limited, price will shoot up in time) Let's talk abt toy'r'us, it's history also begin with self-owner collection --> retail shop set up -->chain stores -->worldwide corporation.

Basically u're fine unlike me or some others addicts as long it's macross toy, we won't bother of the price, as it's mean priceless for us ;)

so goodluck to u in 1/48 if u're still interested (100bucks is okie for tat depends which model & conditions, damn it my place selling 125 :angry: )

Regards

:lol:

Edited by alvaro

If expensive toys isn't your thing then how'd you end up here? :huh:

I'm a big anime fan (don't own much, I usually borrow DVDs from friends), and I like toys. You can enjoy something even if you don't have one of your own. (but you can enjoy it a lot more if you have one of your own)

Every once and while I break down and buy something I really want. But I try to limit myself. As a grad student, I have some money for toys, but I have to save for rainy days, because the money comes and goes.

Well, I have missed out on the Takatoku and Bandai releases back in the 80's, being under 10 yrs. old back then ya can't really afford to get one of those MACROSS toys. That alone is my reason for having to spend so much on these YAMATO Valks! I've waited 20 years to get me them toys, and by God, ain't gonna wait any longer and plus, it's MACROSS!! Do ya need any other reason than that?! ;):D:)

That's exactly it. When I was younger I would always be envious of the nice transformers, takatoku valkyries and what not other kids had. Now that I'm working and can afford to get these toys... I do so within my budget.

I've noticed Macross toys (and anime toys in general) are pretty expensive. This is unfortunate, as I am pretty stingy. Sixty dollars for a 1/60, over 100 dollars for a 1/48, another 50 for the FAST pak set, etc. I can't bring myself to spend over 50 dollars on a toy, no matter how cool it is. This means I'm pretty much limited to model kits (and I am too stingy to buy an airbrush). I've only broken down once and bought one 1/60.

I guess growing up most toys were under 20 bucks. And, at least with computers, cameras, etc, I can tell myself the thing actually does something. A toy just sits there and looks cool.

My brother thinks the prices for these toys are absurd. He sees toys at ToysRUs going for 20 bucks, then anime toys that look "slightly" cooler selling for 80 bucks. I understand that it costs a lot to make them. And you have to increase the price because you will sell a lot less than a mainstream toy.

Do any of you have the same problem? (Obviously many of you don't) How do you justify spending oodles of money on a toy?

Hopefully one day I'll break down and get that 1/48 I've always wanted...

One thing you also have to realize, is a little thing called inflation - a toy that cost $35 back in 1984 (the original VF-1A Hikaru from Bandai) with inflation should cost $60 today, and a toy that cost $45 back in 1984 (Elintseeker, Super Ostrich, and Strike) would go for about $80 nowadays - which, surprisingly enough, is about in line with what Bandai is charging for the reissues. You can't expect toys that you paid $20 for when you were a kid to still be $20 today.

As far as justification for paying this much for 'toys' - I don't need to justify it to anyone. It's my money, and if I can look at where I am in my life, see that I am relatively financially stable, and have the disposeable income to spend a few thousand dollars on something I enjoy, then so be it.

Prices on ebay are generally about right IMO. Bout $30-40 USD for a 1/60 scale non-Super VF-1. $78-80 for 1/60 Super Valkyrie... $150 or so for a 1/48 Super sounds about right to me, too...

MSRP? No way. But it seems Yamato doesn't really expect it in their domestic market...

As far as justification for paying this much for 'toys' - I don't need to justify it to anyone.

I totally agree. You are free to do what you want with your money, including purchasing awesome toys. There is nothing immoral/unwise about that.

What I meant was how do you justify it to yourself. Sorry if I offended anyone.

As far as justification for paying this much for 'toys' - I don't need to justify it to anyone.

I totally agree. You are free to do what you want with your money, including purchasing awesome toys. There is nothing immoral/unwise about that.

You didn't offend me - sorry if I came off as defensive or anything. I just have to laugh at some of the people who have to justify spending money on something they love to a significant other or family member, who just doesn't understand it (even though that family member may collect Beanie Babies, or stamps, or vintage coke bottles, or some other crap). I justify it to myself as - I want it, it makes me happy, and I have the money to afford it, so I get it.

I justify it to myself as - I want it, it makes me happy, and I have the money to afford it, so I get it.

But look at all the starving kids in Africa or kids in poor countries who can't even get an grade school education because of lack of money! Donate your toy money there instead!!! (j/k)

I agree, "It makes me happy!" is the most honest and justifiable justification IMHO.

:)

Edited by Tokyo Cab Driver

Well, it's easy.

I really don't go overboard on what I buy.

Here's my take on it:

I'm not wealthy or rich by any means. But I make enough money to pay all of my bills, and maintain a decent home for my fiance and her son. I also am saving money towards the future by contributing to a 401k account.

So bearing all that in mind, I tend to have a little extra here and there to spend on non-essential things. I buy some toys... mostly lower cost things. I absolutely love the Marvel Mini-Mates figures for instance. Some more expensive... My 148 VF-1J for instance. There are also other things that aren't essential that I spend money on: books, CDs, DVDs, I have two guitars, music lessons so that I can play the guitars ;), I drop about $150-200 every 3 or 4 months for a collectible card game called Legend of the Five Rings that I play when a new set comes out.

How do I justify all this? Well, read the first line. I've got the essentials covered. I don't go over the top on other things, but I do enjoy them. Now... If I weren't playing the L5R card game.... I could afford to buy a new 1/48 or something comparable every couple months. If I weren't taking music lessons, I could afford to buy a new 1/48 every month. For people that don't diversify themselves the way I'm doing, it could be very easy to buy lots of these things.

of course i think the prices of macross toys are expensive...don't we all?

do i think 1/48 are worth $150? HELL NO, but it isn't stopping me from buying them. ;) it wouldn't be the first time i paid for something that wasn't worth the cost, but thats up to each individual to decide.