Attention: Egan Loo and other Macross Worlders

I would like to first thank Egan Loo for his explantions and corrections on my website. Next I will apologize for being incorrect on various matters. Necessary adjustments and renewal of the Nanashi's website will occur soon. Any contents remaining on the Nanashi's website which are found to be unofficial will be noted as such along with explict explanation. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Nanashi

You and Egan should colaborate on a website. It seems there's a duplication of effort in some respects. I love Egan's website for information and proper translations, but I love your website for the rare pictures and comprehensive content.

Just a thought.

Consider it this way, Nanashi's site may not be accurate or official, but at least someone is providing translations to all sorts of Macross material out there (and even some neat pics). Whether or not it's official, lets leave that to Egan to answer. Nanashi has also provided some pics of some rare stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't think that would be possible. It is my believe that Mr. Loo is legally bound to what information and material he can have on the Macross Compendium, because its officially licensed. As far as bad translations on my site.... lol I don't think Miyuki will like to hear that hehe. But, she tries. Otherwise, I have made some mistakes. What can be tedious is figuring out what of published materials and official products actually completely and currently official-what has been revised and what Shoji Kawamori is against etc. All and all Nanashi's is just a fan site in the end.... unless I somehow get it sanctioned (ha).... but if I did it would be pretty barren-I think.

I want people to see all of this great old Macross stuff, unofficial things included. I will just have to try harder to discern between cannon and non-cannon.

Both your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, anyone else getting an error when choosing "Variable Combat System (Equipment)"?

Sorry that is just a topic header within the list without a value.... depending on your browser/settings it may give you an error. There is nothing to access-just the stuff under that.

I think that many MacrossWorld members appreciate the efforts of both you, Nanashi and Egan Loo. I have both of your websites bookmarked, and I usually visit both sites at least once a day. I hope that neither of you are getting discouraged because of some people "dis-satisfaction" for lack of a better term. I hope that you both continue to regularly update your sites and provide us Macross fans with translations and rare pictures/information that most of us would not have access to either because we dont read/speak Japanese or are not located in that part of the world.

Thank You once again for your efforts on our behalf!

Larry T.

I'm always available if you need clarification/explanation of aeronautical terms. :) Ailerons and tailerons are totally different things, and I actually know what a "convergent-divergent" nozzle is...

I bet you even know how to set your VCR timer, too... :lol:

I think theres room for both, really. I enjoy reading Nanashis site for both the pictures and the wonderful text descriptions, and Egans for its incredible comprehensive-ness. After all, what are fans for if not for arguing over obscure points of imaginary detail...?! :p

• 3 months later...
I would like to first thank Egan Loo for his explantions and corrections on my website. Next I will apologize for being incorrect on various matters. Necessary adjustments and renewal of the Nanashi's website will occur soon. Any contents remaining on the Nanashi's website which are found to be unofficial will be noted as such along with explict explanation. Sorry for the confusion.

I like to note that I have given corrections to some recent posts in this forum only, not an entire website elsewhere. Correcting and explaining mistakes in an entire fan website would take even more time and work (time and work that is better and properly used on the Macross Compendium -- namely for answering email. ;)

I cannot vouch for the accuracy or officialness (for lack of a better word) of fan websites.

man he pops in once in awhile and does the smackdown on nash.

That's okay. I've got at least one on Egan. : P

Maybe he remembers.

A long time ago (on 12-31-1999), I made a post on the alt.fan.macross newgroup which corrected his text about the VF-4's long-range missiles. : P

The Macross Compendium merely carried the text from the This is Animation Special Macross Plus book--which stated the VF-4 carried six long-range on undering hardpoints/plyons.

I stated: "...Armament includes: 12 semi-recessed long range missile (6 of which are mounted underwing [area] hardpoints) and two large beam cannons."

See: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=long+ran...home.com&rnum=4

(I will add that the VF-4 [/VF-X-4 actually] was seen with FAST Packs (Funnels) in Macross Eternal Love Song for PC Engine Super CD--but it was an unofficial [battroid] design not done by Studio Nue.)

The Macross Compendium changed its text right after I made that post to presently state the following:

"Six long-range missiles semi-recessed on engine nacelles and underfuselage in Fighter Mode or on underfuselage, lower arms, and legs in GERWALK and Battroid modes. Underwing pylons for missiles. "

Egan of course will probably say it was just a coincidence. Its okay, I notice the small mistakes and changes here and there. : )

To both Nanashi and Egan, excellent work guys.

I have consulted both over the years. I use Egan's Macross Compendium for the "Official" information on Kawamori sanctioned Macross. I use Nanashi's for all the neat "Un-Official" Macross that is out there.

I would love to see more information on the games, especially the older NES (famicon) and old PC games that were made for Macross and that are not sanctioned by Shoji Kawamori.

Its too bad you two jibe each other. You are both assets to the Macross community. It would not be the same with out either of you.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Gideon Krieg

A long time ago (on 12-31-1999), I made a post on the alt.fan.macross newgroup which corrected his text about the VF-4's long-range missiles. : P

The Macross Compendium merely carried the text from the This is Animation Special Macross Plus book--which stated the VF-4 carried six long-range on undering hardpoints/plyons.

I stated: "...Armament includes: 12 semi-recessed long range missile (6 of which are mounted underwing [area] hardpoints) and two large beam cannons."

See: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=long+ran...home.com&rnum=4

(I will add that the VF-4 [/VF-X-4 actually] was seen with FAST Packs (Funnels) in Macross Eternal Love Song for PC Engine Super CD--but it was an unofficial [battroid] design not done by Studio Nue.)

The Macross Compendium changed its text right after I made that post to presently state the following:

"Six long-range missiles semi-recessed on engine nacelles and underfuselage in Fighter Mode or on underfuselage, lower arms, and legs in GERWALK and Battroid modes. Underwing pylons for missiles. "

The This Is Animation Special Macross Plus book does not state that the VF-4 has missiles on "underwing hardpoint/pylons."

The change was not made "right after" 12-31-1999--I remember that date, because like most people, I was celebrating Y2K away from home and looking up to see if planes were falling from the skies. ;) It was actually part of a three-year discussion with Shoji Kawamori, UNiT, Inc, and Bandai, who were working on Macross VF-X2 through 1999 (and a little bit after). VF-X2 didn't include the VF-4 Lightning III, but there was much hand-wringing about its use and weapon complement in 1997's Macross Digital Mission VF-X. More than a decade after Shoji Kawamori designed the VF-4's Fighter mode, he had not locked down the technical specifications for it. (He has some choice words for his forgotten child. ;)

Technical specifications, specifically those underwing missile pylons (which once again was not in the Macross Plus book), were part of that discussion as I worked to lock down the details from the creators.

You and Egan should colaborate on a website.

Well, as noted on another thread, it's enough work maintaining accuracy and correctly separating the official from the unofficial material on one sanctioned site. It would be Herculean to do so for two sites, especially if the other site has not been maintaining accuracy and has not been correctly distinguishing what's official (if the posts in this forum are any indication). All that effort would be better spent just answering email. ;)

I would love to see more information on the games, especially the older NES (famicon) and old PC games that were made for Macross and that are not sanctioned by Shoji Kawamori.

I've played the FamiCom game. Not a lot to say.

You fly a VF-1 with FAST packs. Music and enemies indicate the battleground as the final battle of Space War 1.

As is common for games of the era, very little effort was made to keep things in agreement with, or even particularly similar to, what happened on the TV.

And at the risk of sounding stupid, are you sure you mean PC and not PCEngine?

They're totally diffrent beasts.

Or PC-9801, which is yet ANOTHER diffrent beast(though it IS a personal computer, at least...).

PC tends to imply IBM-compatible. And as far as I know, the only IBM-compatible games are recent.

Personally, I want to see something more about the Arcadia game.

You and Egan should colaborate on a website.

Well, as noted on another thread, it's enough work maintaining accuracy and correctly separating the official from the unofficial material on one sanctioned site. It would be Herculean to do so for two sites, especially if the other site has not been maintaining accuracy and has not been correctly distinguishing what's official (if the posts in this forum are any indication). All that effort would be better spent just answering email. ;)

Fair enough.

My comment was meant more to point out the obvious lack of a comprehensive Macross website; something akin to the IMDB or Star Wars Technical Commentaries. It would be nice to see a big Macross website that has the official chronology, a well written (no "engrish") FAQ detailing the true nature of Macross/Robotech, synopsis/reviews of each series/film/OVA, detailed mecha descriptions with plenty of official pictures, and most importantly, it would be all on one website.

As it stands, North American Macross fandom has been without a one stop reference website ever since I can remember.