BIG O it's show time

Skull 0ne

DVDplanet.com

RightStuf.com

Vol. 2 of Season 2 is out.

I liked Big O. Good style, good characters, and I liked the soundtrack excluding the intro. Wierd ending, could look at it interpretatively, or just hope for a Season 3. The ride was rather enjoyable though. An interesting mix of Giant Robo(?) Dark City, Batman TAS (for character styling), and the Truman Show(?).

Good for something different.

Nice Terry sprite edit :)

Just minor correction. DVD Vol. 2 of Season 2 is not out yet. Its release date should be 3/16 from AnimeOnDVD, if they are correct.

I like the show and watch the DVDs. It is not one of the very best shows I've seen, as the animation, designs, storytelling...etc. are good, but not top notch. But it has a lot of style, and a nice blend of giant robots & Gothem City, with some mysterious elements of the 'lost memory' thing going on. I'll probably rate it a B+ or an A-, depending on the ending of season 2. (Yeah, only have season 1 & the first DVD of season 2)

Honestly, I hated it.....

Then, I started watching it on a regular basis, and now it's one of my favorite things currently on TV.

You know what I felt the very same way. Kind of funny, when I started watching it my brother and I would sit there and make fun of it but when Adult Swim started it over and I watched it from the beganing I realy started to like it.

I to was kind of confused about the ending. It kind of struk me as a EVA type of ending, where the robots and every thing were eye candy and the hole story is about Rodger comming to grips with who he is or his memories.

I to was kind of confused about the ending. It kind of struk me as a EVA type of ending, where the robots and every thing were eye candy and the hole story is about Rodger comming to grips with who he is or his memories.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Hit it in one....

The ending in season 2 is lame, though...

The whole second season was crap compared to the first. Considering the way they ended it, the series stands fine on its one season. That second season ending, aside from making no-sense whatsoever (even Eva made sense), was a complete & total copout. None of the mysteries from the first season were answered, and the ones from the second season were just there for show.

The whole second season was crap compared to the first. Considering the way they ended it, the series stands fine on its one season. That second season ending, aside from making no-sense whatsoever (even Eva made sense), was a complete & total copout. None of the mysteries from the first season were answered, and the ones from the second season were just there for show.

<_<

Thankfully, Big O season 2 was quite far down on my to-get list, Hell, I almost forgot to add it...

I've loved it since it debuted on Toonami years ago... and although the second season wasn't as good as the first, it was worth it for seeing more of Dorothy.

:D

Except they even managed to screw up her character, and Angel, talk about anti-climactic.

I DEMAND A MOVIE DO-OVER!

As I recall from numerous review sites a year or so ago, most of, if not all of the Japanese audiences hated it hated it, in fact, even the people who created Big O (season 1) had no intention of doing a season 2, and didn't want to make a season 2, but NA companies, or branches of companies managed to convince them to make a second season anyway. Again, from what I remember, season 2 bombed in Japan....What I still haven't heard much of, except in this topic, is what did everyone else think? I've only seen about 3 or 4 full episodes of season 2, so far

Slight spoilers ahead....though probably everyone's already seen it

I like it, I liked the flashback first episode of season 2 and seeing how different the world was, and everything getting lumped in which in someways made it cheesy to feel the need to throw ALL the loose ends in like Beck, Dorothy, and Dan Datsun and the girl from Winter Night Phantom when they were young....or so we're led to believe, but I've still liked it so far.

NA companies, or branches of companies managed to convince them to make a second season anyway

The Big O was popular on Cartoon Network here in the States, so Cartoon Network agreed to pay for the production of more episodes, hence, a second run that's now airing.

SECONDED!

Yes, everything that was intriguing and cool about the story was completely disregarded, I was really quite amazed at how badly it was all wrapped up in the end.

"The Greatest Villian" was the best episode of the new batch.

SECONDED!

Yes, everything that was intriguing and cool about the story was completely disregarded, I was really quite amazed at how badly it was all wrapped up in the end.

"The Greatest Villian" was the best episode of the new batch.

Come to think of it, most of the second season could have just as easily been episodes of Justice League.....coincidence?

Speaking as someone who owns Macross II, Megazone 23 Prt III, & Orguss 02, I honestly don't see myself buying the season II DVD's if that even remotely expresses my contempt for the second season.

Haven't seen it yet. Keep meaning to as several people have said good things about it, but the design of the main mecha puts me off.

I'm the sort of person that even if an anime has an excellent story, characters, music etc, I still don't like to watch it if it has what I consider to be ugly mecha.

Graham

uhm... my non dvd buying but has no idea what episode goes with what season. I always enjoyed the show as a batman meets voltron meets 007 kinda thing though. The most recent episode I saw [a friends dvd] was where the main charachter has an identy complex and see's the world before people forgot who they were... or maybe it was instead of forgetting who they were... not really sure. All I can say is that it was the conclusion to where three robots in the bay were beating the crap out of o' and he [o'] lost an arm in the battle.

I soooooo need to get a sound card for my pc [i sold the one in it at a profit] so I can watch all the crap I have :blink:

anybody remember when/where invader zim was availible?

Come to think of it, most of the second season could have just as easily been episodes of Justice League.....coincidence?

Speaking as someone who owns Macross II, Megazone 23 Prt III, & Orguss 02, I honestly don't see myself buying the season II DVD's if that even remotely expresses my contempt for the second season.

Just admit it the only reason you don't like season 2 is because Cartoon Network was involved :p

I like Big O but the first season is better than the second. The ending was kinda lame. And the second season really didn't answer many questions from the first season. It just created more. Maybe watching all the episodes back to back would help.

A movie do over wouldn't be a bad idea.

Haven't seen it yet. Keep meaning to as several people have said good things about it, but the design of the main mecha puts me off.

I'm the sort of person that even if an anime has an excellent story, characters, music etc, I still don't like to watch it if it has what I consider to be ugly mecha.

Graham

Yah dude, the design grows on you. I thought it was ugly too at first, and that made me not watch it for a long time. But it really makes more sense when you see the show(yes... Big O likes to punch stuff) and he's really got a shitload of gadgets.

Graham

Yah dude, the design grows on you. I thought it was ugly too at first, and that made me not watch it for a long time. But it really makes more sense when you see the show(yes... Big O likes to punch stuff) and he's really got a shitload of gadgets.

I was the exact same way. When I first saw the series I was like, wow thats fugly. It has slowly grown on me as a design (probably due more to the coolness of the story) and now I can even say I actually like it.

Just admit it the only reason you don't like season 2 is because Cartoon Network was involved :p

A movie do over wouldn't be a bad idea.

Nope, that had nothing to do with it. I was all amped up to get a deep meaningful conclusion to Big O. I was glad CN helped fund it, since it apparently wouldn't have been done otherwise, but damn that was the shittiest ending ever. I even bared with it for that whole halloween stunt (when they aired a repeat instead, then the following week, aired the beginning of that repeat before the final episode just to frakk with people). The production crew was obviously phoning it in. The interviews on the first season's disc's show that they didn't really have a direction take the ending to, and they were just looking at making a cool show. The second season makes that painfully obvious.

There were some action figures a while back, I don't remember who made them though. There was also a Big O model from Bandai.

I'd really like to see a figure of Big O with all the gimmicks. The hand gatlings, the arm pistons, opening cockpit, various beam weapons, opening missile hatches, grapling chains, and so on. Maybe some lighting would be in order. And a nice supply of diecast would be great.

duuuuude....

That would be soooo cool. Like the size of the 1/48 at least.

I'd really like to see a figure of Big O with all the gimmicks. The hand gatlings, the arm pistons, opening cockpit, various beam weapons, opening missile hatches, grapling chains, and so on. Maybe some lighting would be in order. And a nice supply of diecast would be great.

duuuuude....

That would be soooo cool. Like the size of the 1/48 at least.

HLJ ussed to have a few detailed models of the Big Guy. I liked the show myself

• 2 years later...

When CN announced that they were going to co-fund Big O with the japanese I was really excited. The 2nd season started off really well with Rodger & Dorothy battling all those Bigs in the ocean and Rodger going back and forth from reality to fantasy. OMG, did that last episode ever suck. A terrible ending to a great show.

108263[/snapback]

How could you leave out the foot garage?

It's gotta be the only super robot to have such a practical feature.