My Boyfriend is a Pilot (lauren goodnight version)

treatment

So, we're having fun over there at AoD-forums (english-dub forum) and I managed to sorta talk an interested up-and-coming new ADV voice-actress/fan (Lauren Goodnight) into singing a DYRL song. She's a Macross-DYRL fan, too.

She couldn't find an mp3 of the Ai Oboete Imasuka song, but she have the MBIAP song, so we decided to give it a go and here's her thread about it including the location of her rendition of MBIAP:

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?...o=&fpart=1&vc=1

It's quite tolerable and actually a rather good rendition. She didn't mimic Mari Ijima's high-pitchness, but it was ok enough. At least it's not Robotech and it's way better than Robotech's. ^_^

IIRC, it's the first time an english voice-actress sang an actual Minmay song, imho.

So, just an fyi. ^_^

Macross: The Complete has a track without the voice IIRC. That was fun to listen to. her speaking voice is too trippy for me. She must sound like she's dubbing an anime ALL THE TIME.

OK, enough Kyun Kyun for now... back to the Pixies... :p

Would have been interesting if she had been singing it in english...

I don't know, when I think about that, I think about that scene in the English dub of Mac Plus with Myung's friend...

"My boyfriend is a pilot now....he's a pilot nooooooowwwww"

Meh, keep the Japanese songs in Japanese.

Edited by Mechamaniac

I think this Goodnight girl would make a great 1st grade teacher, because she speaks like she's narrating a kid's book.

But besides that, her speaking voice is everything I hate about dubs.

Her singing voice isn't terrible, but I've heard better.

well if you read the post on that forum.. she spent a whole wopping hour from start to finish... not bad ... I agree not "Excelent".. but I think if she had been "better prepared", practiced the song a bit, had better background music.. it would of sounded better.

I too got my hopes up, that it was going to be an "English" version.

The song is only a turn on when Mari is singing it.

Funny... I always found this song to be the most unberable of Minmays song..... every time I hear the Kyun-Kyun thing.... I fill like hurting/wrecking something. :blink:

Gotta agree with Abombz on this one.... I hate that song.

Her Japanese ain't bad as far as ADV seiyuu go. At least she tried.....

Funny... I always found this song to be the most unberable of Minmays song..... every time I hear the Kyun-Kyun thing.... I fill like hurting/wrecking something. :blink:

That song drives me nuts too..doesn't matter who sings it. Kyun Kyun Puke Puke...

Actually most of Minmei's songs are brutal.

:(

HERETIC! Thou shalt not blaspheme against Lynn Minmay. Only Robotech fans hate Minmay. Be glad it was not "We Will Win" or "To Be In Love" you were listening to.

Anyway, Ms. Goodnight's cover was OK. However, give me Mari Ijima any day.

HERETIC! Thou shalt not blaspheme against Lynn Minmay. Only Robotech fans hate Minmay. Be glad it was not "We Will Win" or "To Be In Love" you were listening to.

That is such bullshit. grow up fanboy

Fanboyism it may be, but he does have a valid point about the Robotech Minmei songs... :ph34r:

Fanboyism it may be, but he does have a valid point about the Robotech Minmei songs... :ph34r:

they sound like some one is torturing someone and making them sing horrible, horrible lyrics. :p

Yeah, Mari at least can sing. Ultimately, she was never able to escape the Minmay stereotype, and her career has been mediocre over all, but at least she has talent.

Whoever told Reba West that she could sing was out of their freaking mind. All of the Reba West RT songs are like chewing broken glass.

However, in comparison, Look Up (The Sky is Falling), Lonely Soldier Boy, and even We Will Win done by Lancer in New Gen are pretty damned good songs. Look Up is a perennial favorite of mine.

So, not all of the RT tunes were bad, and at least they wrote a good opening theme, but I would rather eat my way out of a septic tank than listen to Reba West crowing out that crap she did.