2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Watched the first one once...and thanks to the link above just found out there were 3 sequels?

I'll wait for the reboot to come to one of the streaming services I currently somehow am still paying for...and maybe watch it

You’re not missing much. Each sequel went a bit more downhill as they went on. Although it’s always fun to watch Iggy Pop die in a movie.

I always feel that odd surprise to find out about large amounts of unknown sequels.  Sorta like with there being something like three or four Darkman movies or Five or Six Underworld movies and a handful of From Dusk Till Dawn movies

I absolutely loved the original film. It was peak 1990s goth and had a huge influence with its style and music in the scene back then. I think if they ever did make a reboot it should be made in black & white to look like the graphic novel.

I don't have much hope with this new film though.

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

I absolutely loved the original film. It was peak 1990s goth and had a huge influence with its style and music in the scene back then. I think if they ever did make a reboot it should be made in black & white to look like the graphic novel.

I don't have much hope with this new film though.

It probably won’t be as good as the original, but probably far better than the sequels and show 

• 2 weeks later...

Very disappointing that it has less to do with the source material than the original film which is more evidence that Hollywood thinks its audience is dumb.

If it was me producing the film it would be closer to the source material and filmed in black and white with a early 1990s setting.

56 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Very disappointing that it has less to do with the source material than the original film which is more evidence that Hollywood thinks its audience is dumb.

If it was me producing the film it would be closer to the source material and filmed in black and white with a early 1990s setting.

I’m a bit iffy on it. At Least Ozzy is on the soundtrack 

1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

Yeah this kind of just comes off as a supernatural John Wick riff, less Crow, he just seems like a guy with Wolverine powers and a revenge story, bummer. 

I was thinking the same exact thing this morning. At least the supernatural thing makes the unstoppable revenge killer thing more believable though. But definitely doesn’t look or seem right.
The biggest issue is that everything looks very bright. maybe it’s not as bad as it looks, but I don’t feel excited in the least to see this, while I’m far more interested in that other movie little Skarsgard goes for revenge in. Although that’s mostly because he has the voice of Bob and archer

The trailer basically shows all you need to see of this movie. Also, Skarsgard is the champion of the anorexic muscle chic now, he managed to chisel even more abs than his Tarzan brother.

Is that a Lotus Esprit at 1:50?

10 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I regret not be able to see the original THE CROW in the theater as it was released while I was in US Army basic training 30 years ago. wow. I'm hoping my local Alamo Drafthouse will have a showing around Halloween this year.

Make the suggestion to them.

17 minutes ago, Thom said:

Make the suggestion to them.

Already did, lol. I do see my local Alamo Drafthouse has a showing of THE CROW (1994) this month on a Tuesday but think it would be more cool to see it in October before Halloween this year.

On a side note I still have my worn copy of THE CROW that I bought this time in 1994 and the price I paid is a tad lower than the special edition you can buy on Amazon today, lol. Highly recommended to read!

https://www.amazon.com/Crow-Special-James-OBarr/dp/1451627254/ref=sr_1_1?crid=CC5AON90KRW0&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.uQBlxIXyUHOyiyx3DbiXeiKC38hu4Dx78sA45kF8091WoGGu08aVzxcmOiJEMI1UwIlV6lp4T2WBHRPu1jndNI2Bp2xwfgqduPxHAhZfVCtf4x4wl3QhFc5N6n0PmVUWQcJoiqnxqU3_bSN7oc7Tiaj8OpmZpwbwmVgYn8vmvUNNW5SukYQPxcqGm57oG4dWmqkON_zAKpnZKKWg5Cs3cFLplrEgB2VXg9CR4SCI7BI.h0Ts2yBKhpUi9HBf4Y3z-RWsfvkTPoqrDCeH3-qj1t0&dib_tag=se&keywords=the+crow&qid=1710593982&sprefix=the+crow%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-1#customerReviews

PXL_20240316_130223037.MP.jpg

PXL_20240316_130228938.jpg

Update that my local Alamo Drafthouse responded that they won't show THE CROW (1994) this October ☹️ 

They do have a showing this week on a Tuesday night. Ugh. Yes, I know the film was originally released in May 1994 but a showing close to Halloween would have been really cool! Oh well, I'll watch it on streaming around that time instead!

• 3 weeks later...

Some movies are classics and should just be left alone. The Crow being one of them, they also tried to ruin another Classic, Jacobs Ladder with a piss poor reboot.

One thing people are missing just like a lot of other business and institutions in America the government allowed studies to consolidate from several hundred studios in the late 1980's to just 3 to 4 mega studios who own and control subsidiaries, while themselves owned by an even bigger conglomerate.  its all part of a technocracy and it will only get worse because when government and corporate interest merge that's fascism. its all about generating profits to the max sweeping out any kind of passion in the films.

Now there is some hope? Yes but a compromise. Look at Godzilla Minus One, a soft almost reboot of the 1954. it was made in Japan with on screen dialogs . maybe the future is foreign movies from all over the world translated with AI into English? not perfect but still good.

Another future options in dealing with reboots like this having AI re-edit these reboots by fans to make them good. Example I've dreamed of AI fixed version of the bay transformers movies with fixing the characters, adding characters while redoing the whole story line. take all the movies and condense them into a three movie trilogy.

Another option is movie studios instead of doing reboots, instead creates AI tools allowing you to remake any film you want yourself for a small fee and maybe even have a marketplace were the studio will sell your director cut and you even get a small commission out of each one rented.

There is a solution to the reboot madness but only time will tell what it is.

4 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

Some movies are classics and should just be left alone. The Crow being one of them, they also tried to ruin another Classic, Jacobs Ladder with a piss poor reboot.

Classics are classics for a reason; there are qualities to those films that have had an effect on people that have made them extremely popular for various reasons and that are difficult to recapture in an update or a reboot. The simple answer to reboot madness is to do original stuff and leave the classics alone. Sequels are another category where sometimes less is more.

I wasn't aware of a Jacob's Ladder reboot. That's a film that I never would have even pegged for reboot material. The original gave a pretty haunting look into the life of a post-Vietnam veteran's dealing with delusions from what we today would call PTSD and likely exposure to all the chemicals we dumped both for defoliation and psyche-ops. Tim Robbins gave a great performance. No need for a reboot.

5 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

One thing people are missing just like a lot of other business and institutions in America the government allowed studies to consolidate from several hundred studios in the late 1980's to just 3 to 4 mega studios who own and control subsidiaries, while themselves owned by an even bigger conglomerate.  its all part of a technocracy and it will only get worse because when government and corporate interest merge that's fascism. its all about generating profits to the max sweeping out any kind of passion in the films.

Now there is some hope? Yes but a compromise. Look at Godzilla Minus One, a soft almost reboot of the 1954. it was made in Japan with on screen dialogs . maybe the future is foreign movies from all over the world translated with AI into English? not perfect but still good.

Another future options in dealing with reboots like this having AI re-edit these reboots by fans to make them good. Example I've dreamed of AI fixed version of the bay transformers movies with fixing the characters, adding characters while redoing the whole story line. take all the movies and condense them into a three movie trilogy.

Another option is movie studios instead of doing reboots, instead creates AI tools allowing you to remake any film you want yourself for a small fee and maybe even have a marketplace were the studio will sell your director cut and you even get a small commission out of each one rented.

To be fair, there’s a lot of crap that comes from foreign movie studios and we usually only hear about the really good ones. Netflix has a butt load of foreign garbage sci fi and such movies that I would never recommend to anyone unless they’re having a bad movie marathon. I think the major problem with American films is that they’re mostly mediocre, not necessarily really bad or really good lately just easily forgettable 

10 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Classics are classics for a reason; there are qualities to those films that have had an effect on people that have made them extremely popular for various reasons and that are difficult to recapture in an update or a reboot. The simple answer to reboot madness is to do original stuff and leave the classics alone. Sequels are another category where sometimes less is more.

I wasn't aware of a Jacob's Ladder reboot. That's a film that I never would have even pegged for reboot material. The original gave a pretty haunting look into the life of a post-Vietnam veteran's dealing with delusions from what we today would call PTSD and likely exposure to all the chemicals we dumped both for defoliation and psyche-ops. Tim Robbins gave a great performance. No need for a reboot.

Agree that's good points.

9 hours ago, Big s said:

To be fair, there’s a lot of crap that comes from foreign movie studios and we usually only hear about the really good ones. Netflix has a butt load of foreign garbage sci fi and such movies that I would never recommend to anyone unless they’re having a bad movie marathon. I think the major problem with American films is that they’re mostly mediocre, not necessarily really bad or really good lately just easily forgettable 

Good points, I have a few websites I can watch free movies on and I forgot how many are just boring even in those countries they are from.