Bandai HG 1/100 YF-21

Convectuoso

Yeah, the YF-19 is definitely smaller than HMR scale, it doesn't really match up very well.  The pilot shenanigans is just Bandai's nonsense scaling issues with the HMR TV pilots.

I basically slapped together the YF-19 without the instructions (I love treating these kits as a puzzle, since they snap together so easily), and honestly I was not very impressed with the shortcuts they took.  Lots of parts that should be mirrored were duplicated instead, which made the assembly a little more complicated, but it wasn't too bad.

I just wasn't impressed by the end result very much, at least not in fighter mode.  Battroid is fine, but the fighter proportions and shape took a beating in the process of making a good battroid.

It's a decent little fighter, and would probably look pretty good with some paint and detailing, but it needs new feet, and a fix for the ugly uncovered crotch block.

Will see if I can get a side-by-side pic a little later,.

Thanks.  I look forward to seeing them next to each other.

B2980262-2D8B-426B-A584-36E8E545A53E.jpeg.b1de8d67ad4d2b1df5f092ea80630678.jpeg

Based on this pic I assumed that Fighter was at least 8" long.  Not perfectly scaled with a HMR VF-1 Fighter but larger than a VF-1 and close enough in scale to still look ok together.  If they do then I assume the YF-21 in Fighter mode will too.

Edited by sh9000

Sorry to take a bit, finishing work things up.  It's kind of okay-ish, but I'd definitely rather have an HMR YF-19.

ss(2024-02-07at04_53.10).jpg.67061a9848c337d271d7039e436461e9.jpg

Maybe weird to say, but I think this kit needed more parts-swapping between modes, just to look better overall.  Battroid and gerwalk are pretty much fine, but fighter mode took all of major compromises.

22 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Sorry to take a bit, finishing work things up.  It's kind of okay-ish, but I'd definitely rather have an HMR YF-19.

I’m still wondering if Bandai will do an hg vf-1. I don’t remember if I mentioned it here or in another thread, but I’d probably really like it, but would probably be absolutely frustrated with trying to obtain three so I could have one for each mode like I did with the YF-19 and YF-21

On 2/7/2024 at 4:57 PM, Chronocidal said:

ss(2024-02-07at04_53.10).jpg.67061a9848c337d271d7039e436461e9.jpg

Maybe weird to say, but I think this kit needed more parts-swapping between modes, just to look better overall.  Battroid and gerwalk are pretty much fine, but fighter mode took all of major compromises.

Thanks.  It looks like with the VF-1 landing gear removed and both Fighters lined up again that the YF-19 would get a slight tad more length.  I'd also definitely prefer a HMR YF-19 but I'll take the HG for now.

6 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

The omission of a 1/48 is rather odd... 

Not really that odd, considering how rare and unpopular "enemy" units are with the anime fanbase in general.  

I'm just assuming Hasegawa decided not to make it based on sales figures for the 1/72 version.

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Not really that odd, considering how rare and unpopular "enemy" units are with the anime fanbase in general.  

I'm just assuming Hasegawa decided not to make it based on sales figures for the 1/72 version.

It is odd. as the 21 and 19 have historically always been sided as kits and toys, as collectors generally get the pair. Also, their 1/48 general aircraft line is fairly strong. 

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

The parts swapping for the MAXL is going to be so extensive they might as well just give you two separate kits. :p 

Can't read any of the text, but is there anything there about it being a multi-mode kits like the others?

Maybe three for gerwalk 

5 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

No. Translation says it's a Battroid mode only resin cast kit. It may be the old wave kit

It does look like it is advertising Max’s VF-22S Sturmvogel II, is that right?

Twich

Those are 100% old Wave resin kits. Specifically this is the Wave ad from the December 1995 issue of Hobby Japan, page 186. This is why archiving old print media is important :V

You are unlikely to see announcement with fully finished product photos in black and white in modern days.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 2:34 PM, sh9000 said:

Thanks.  I look forward to seeing them next to each other.

B2980262-2D8B-426B-A584-36E8E545A53E.jpeg.b1de8d67ad4d2b1df5f092ea80630678.jpeg

Based on this pic I assumed that Fighter was at least 8" long.  Not perfectly scaled with a HMR VF-1 Fighter but larger than a VF-1 and close enough in scale to still look ok together.  If they do then I assume the YF-21 in Fighter mode will too.

Here you go, just finished my YF-21.

PXL_20240313_211030970.jpg

PXL_20240313_213709656.jpg

Thanks.  I finished my YF-19 and YF-21 a while back and made some comparisons of my own.  Not perfectly scaled to HMR but I'm ok with how they look with them in Fighter mode.  Pose everything in flight and one can't tell as much.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2024 at 9:45 AM, Froy said:

Both my 19 and 21 should by hitting the post office today.

These will be my very first Macross model kits.

You picked a couple of good ones in my opinion.