Bandai HG 1/100 YF-21 & VF-22

Convectuoso

Second pic has a pretty good view of them, still at an angle, but you can tell they're just the standard belly plates with the added gunpod compartment.  Looks very much like the old Yamato mold.

I'm still astounded by how little communication there is between all of Bandai's different development teams.  This kit just looks so good, and gets everything that the DX got wrong completely correct. :huh: 

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Second pic has a pretty good view of them, still at an angle, but you can tell they're just the standard belly plates with the added gunpod compartment.  Looks very much like the old Yamato mold.

Since these are partformers, I didn't think to consider the parts on one form as representative of what's on another form. I guess those battroid plates could be the same ones in fighter mode since it doesn't accomodate gunpod fitmnet.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, PointBlankSniper said:

Since these are partformers, I didn't think to consider the parts on one form as representative of what's on another form. I guess those battroid plates could be the same ones in fighter mode since it doesn't accomodate gunpod fitmnet.

Correct. VF-22 might not have the Gunpod’s slot holes in the belly.

This is the YF-21’s:

IMG_1444.jpeg.0638cc495125db282740a20645c2b29f.jpeg

The design on where the Gunpods are attached above might or will have the same design to what it has on the Battroid below:

IMG_1445.jpeg.3ff73e6f1134bf3d7b3700adc9dcbce0.jpeg

Assuming that will be the end-product, thinking of putting the Super Pack on the belly will not work without customizing.

Edited by no3Ljm

22 minutes ago, lechuck said:

Nice, visor+face plate > mono-eye!

This give me hope for Bandai making a complimentary VF-19S/F out of the Kai.

We have nothing to worry about this. When it comes to kits, Bandai is the Milking Empire. 

I was mocking up an add-on piece to keep the dang wingtips from drooping down, and figured I might as well extend it to add a couple hard points for missiles. I can't remember any reference to the YF-21 having them . . . but surely they must exist, to compete with the 19?

Untitled-1.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-12 023917.png

14 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Given the YF-21's shape changing materials, it may actually not have any external hardpoints (aside from gunpod and FAST pack mounts). Still, more dakka can never hurt. :lol:

If memory serves, there's nothing that specifically states that the YF-21 doesn't have wing hardpoints.  As it and the VF-19 are based on the YF-22 and YF-23, I think it's safe to say that the YF-21 is just like the real world VF-22: it can mount things under the wings, however doing so degrades performance—reduced stealthiness, no shapechanging wings, and reduced kinematic performance.

As it is a model kit, my only input is: rule of cool—more missiles are always better.

10 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Oh, I'm not going to hesitate to grab a bunch of these.

I do have to question where the color for those effects came from though.. I haven't watched that in a while.  Are the engine plumes actually greenish?  Because that looks positively disgusting.

I don't think I've ever seen that shade of green used for it... the exhaust is usually drawn white with a tinge of either pink, blue, or yellow.  

Guld's YF-21 usually had a pink tinge, while Max and Milia's VF-22S's had blue.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

I do have to question where the color for those effects came from though.. I haven't watched that in a while.  Are the engine plumes actually greenish?  Because that looks positively disgusting.

What, you don't like glowing antifreeze lemon yellow???... ^_^ me neither... :bad:

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Sometimes when you’re on a long flight through space, you gotta empty and it’s gotta go somewhere. At least we know the septic system works 

I think Bandai is just reusing those thruster effect parts from a different kit. Looks like the ones they made for the 1/144 RG Nu Gundam. It's funny that they even have action base holes on the bottom to display the fin funnels in flying formation, which make no sense in this application!

rg-rx-93-nu-gundam-fin-funnel-effect-set-01.jpg

41 minutes ago, xyh said:

I think Bandai is just reusing those thruster effect parts from a different kit. Looks like the ones they made for the 1/144 RG Nu Gundam. It's funny that they even have action base holes on the bottom to display the fin funnels in flying formation, which make no sense in this application!

Good catch. They look like it. 

However as @Seto Kaiba pointed out, they're the wrong colour. 

Progress on trying to improve the proportions of the 21 - I think just raising the backpack makes the biggest impact, thankfully that's relatively easy to do. It's a bit high now compared to the lineart, but playing around with it, I thought that was preferable to it hanging so low at the bottom. Without it in the background, I think the legs get emphasized more:

prog.jpg

Edited by xyh

On 5/18/2024 at 6:11 PM, Big s said:

this one appears to be a web exclusive and those usually include the decals. They’re also listed on the side as well.

Apologies for my ignorance. Wed Exclusive like can be purchased on the Tamashi store? Or Web Exclusive like available in any online store but not a actual physical store?

44 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

Apologies for my ignorance. Wed Exclusive like can be purchased on the Tamashi store? Or Web Exclusive like available in any online store but not an actual physical store?

Pbandai store