19 hours ago, Thom said:

I don't know how I feel about her ship. In some way, it looks very cool, but in others... not so much.

Quite generic. Perfect for the background, but not very striking for a SW main character. 

Let’s just wait to see it in action.

The Razor Crest was a burly bus, and they still got some good action sequences out of her.

Even the old BSG Raptor wasn’t the sexiest of designs, but they were able to pull off a crazy action sequence with her too.

The thing I don't like about the ship (and the other vertical ones like it - only one coming to mind was Spock's ship from Star Trek 2009 but I know there are other SW examples) are that they make no sense.  Why design something that has to go through such shenanigans to land when it gives no benefit?  

Edited by Dynaman

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

The thing I don't like about the ship (and the other vertical ones like it - only one coming to mind was Spock's ship from Star Trek 2009 but I know there are other SW examples) are that they make no sense.  Why design something that has to go through such shenanigans to land when it gives no benefit?  

Valid point. 

But there's a lot of that in the SW universe... why any walkers when they have speeders that float? Why slaves and labourers that cost more to acquire and maintain than droids that don't need food, sleep and are stronger? 

Why pilots when fighters can be fighter drones? 

Why are the almost impenetrable shields on destroyer droids not equipped by organic troopers? 

What's the point of the stormtrooper armours? 

Sure, somewhere along the endless encyclopedias there's some fan driven justifying explanation to the above, but will always look clueless when facing logic. This is part of SW. 

14 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Valid point. 

Sure, somewhere along the endless encyclopedias there's some fan driven justifying explanation to the above, but will always look clueless when facing logic. This is part of SW. 

A couple examples of justification could be the species designing said craft. Humans mostly prefer horizontal, but an alien may prefer vertical, even if horizonal is easier to land. 

The reason for walkers over hover transports could be combat durability. One good hit on the anti-grav and its down - but then one good length of rope...

For troopers not having shields, or armor that doesn't seem to protect anyone, that could be intended casualties. These are clone troops so they are easy to replace, they are highly (I would assume) indoctrinated (i.e. brainwashed) and keeping attrition rates artificially high would make them more likely to see threats where they don't exist and thus be more alert, and more likely to respond aggressively.

But, as said, these are just fan'splaining.😜

Edited by Thom

5 hours ago, Thom said:

that could be intended casualties. These are clone troops so they are easy to replace, they are highly (I would assume) indoctrinated (i.e. brainwashed) and keeping attrition rates artificially high would make them more likely to see threats where they don't exist and thus be more alert, and more likely to respond aggressively.

You know, you're giving Pablo H!dalgo competition with this. 🤣

On 7/22/2023 at 4:39 PM, Dynaman said:

My reason for not liking them is that they make themselves a bigger target. They increase their visibility by two or three times 

8 minutes ago, Big s said:

My reason for not liking them is that they make themselves a bigger target. They increase their visibility by two or three times 

Reminds me of Johnson's bombers in the last Jedi 🤦‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

It's a shame all this just leads to The Rise of Skywalker....

Or will we get a Star Wars Multi-verse?

A lot of out there rumors are pushing for a reboot. But I think that’s a bit out there at this point. 
If they push for a multiverse, I’ll just totally give up on Star Wars altogether. The multiverse is the killer of franchises. Both Dc and Marvel are trying to pick up the pieces of that stupid mess 

24 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

It's a shame all this just leads to The Rise of Skywalker....

Or will we get a Star Wars Multi-verse?

The good news is that we don't see Ahsoka or any Mandalorians in the new trilogies! So there can still be some satisfying direction for those arcs to play out..

I don't know what the lifespan of Ahsoka's race is, off the top of my head, but it would be funny to see Rey find Ahsoka (in the supposed new SW movie featuring Rey) had started training her own jedi long ago. I'm not gonna hold my breath..;)

26 minutes ago, Big s said:

A lot of out there rumors are pushing for a reboot. But I think that’s a bit out there at this point. 
If they push for a multiverse, I’ll just totally give up on Star Wars altogether. The multiverse is the killer of franchises. Both Dc and Marvel are trying to pick up the pieces of that stupid mess 

7urojv.jpg

18 minutes ago, Bolt said:

The good news is that we don't see Ahsoka or any Mandalorians in the new trilogies! So there can still be some satisfying direction for those arcs to play out..

I don't know what the lifespan of Ahsoka's race is, off the top of my head, but it would be funny to see Rey find Ahsoka (in the supposed new SW movie featuring Rey) had started training her own jedi long ago. I'm not gonna hold my breath..;)

But doesn't TROS insinuate all of the Jedi Rey hears from are dead?  Maybe I am not remembering correctly but I thought Ahsoka was one of the Jedi voices we heard?

29 minutes ago, Bolt said:

That's a good way of looking at it.  We may not like where the sequels went, but that's not the entire SW universe. We certainly don't see any of Thrawn in the later time frame. I'm sure they'll be some nuggets throweing some bones towards the sequel trilogy, but the main story will hopefully keep it small and forgettable.

Edited by Thom

20 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

But doesn't TROS insinuate all of the Jedi Rey hears from are dead?  Maybe I am not remembering correctly but I thought Ahsoka was one of the Jedi voices we heard?

It does insinuate that. :sad: 
Ahsoka could still have been alive on the other side of the Galaxy. Kylo and co were so obsessed with Skywalker and the "resistance ". He could have had enforcers chasing down any other would be Jedi or force users out there. When you think about it. We sure got a very narrow view from the new sequels..

Grogu could certainly be out there..

Edited by Bolt

41 minutes ago, Bolt said:

It does insinuate that. :sad: 
Ahsoka could still have been alive on the other side of the Galaxy. Kylo and co were so obsessed with Skywalker and the "resistance ". He could have had enforcers chasing down any other would be Jedi or force users out there. When you think about it. We sure got a very narrow view from the new sequels..

Grogu could certainly be out there..

Despite what is said 'back stage' it would be easy to say that maybe it wasn't her voice at all. 

For the whole voice thing at the end of RoS, they should have left it with just Annikan, Obi-wan, Quigon and others rather than all the rest as well. Just another poor decision...

Edited by Thom

Knowing how Filoni likes to mend past SW shortfalls, I think it would be cool if this show retcons Rey’s RoS/TLJ retcon and gives a better retelling for her family history.

There were some old Reddit theories discussing how Sabine might be Rey’s mother. The idea that the trailers are implying Sabine could be a force user—more than a dark saber wielder but also Ahsoka’s apprentice—give this theory extra credence. I guess we will have to see how things go. I’m okay either way, but that would sure be a fun easter egg and not an uncommon thing for Filoni to work in. 

Edited by technoblue

14 hours ago, technoblue said:

The idea that the trailers are implying Sabine could be a force user

That's not what they're implying. She knows how to handle a lightsaber, but she has no power (as is stated in one of the trailers).

2 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

That's not what they're implying. She knows how to handle a lightsaber, but she has no power (as is stated in one of the trailers).

If you check my earlier comments, you’ll notice I had the same read before this latest trailer. Now I’m not so sure. There is a heavy lean into the rule of two business from the prequels. We’ve seen the dark side users. We know Ahsoka is around, but who else is there apart from the surviving Ghost crew? Ezra is still lost, so…that leaves room for someone else.

I think the no power statement could be a literal read from Shin in that scene or it could be an insult from her. Kind of like how Vader was goading Luke to attack him in their confrontation at Cloud City in ESB. We won’t know until we get more context. Like I said, I’m good regardless, but it is curious and it does feel like it could be used for something…

Then again, maybe not. HaHa!

I’m so looking forward to this series.

Edited by technoblue