Jump to content

1/72 Wave VF-4 Lightning lll project


Goodman Models
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here is my build up of the VF-4. I have several projects on the go, I will start some build topics for them. 

The plan is to do a tan version in Sundowners livery with an asymmetric loadout. I will add some updates fast and furiously slowly, lol.

DSC05612.JPG

DSC05613.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Here' a Little update on the Lightning build. I've done some pre/post shading and it's coming along. You can see some of the weapons loadout that will be added to this bird. I also got some red down for the Sundowners markings and I've been working on making some of my own masks for painting it. More to follow ~ Anth

DSC05634.JPG

DSC05635.JPG

DSC05636.JPG

DSC05637.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks you for your interest. I've got the Sundowners "rising sun" painted on the vertical stabs. I had a 1/48 scale decal set of Sundowners for the F5 Freedom fighter aggressor squadron - I scanned it at a 66% reduction and printed it out. I then rough cut it out and glued it down (gluestick) to the top of some 40mm Tamiya tape and then cut out the white sections (the negative). I painted the stabs red and then used the mask over the red, then painted on the white (Mr. Color 1). 

One of my specialities is cracking canopies. No build is complete without one stress fracture and this one has the rear section cracked. Will vac form another!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Here's the finished shading for the airframe and the "rising sun" logos painted on the vertical stabs! It turned out fairly well and I'm happy with them. Wave provides 2 different vernier options for the leg - I painted up both, but will choose the shallow version. 

DSC05645.JPG

DSC05646.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 5:21 PM, Goodman Models said:

Here's the finished shading for the airframe and the "rising sun" logos painted on the vertical stabs! It turned out fairly well and I'm happy with them. Wave provides 2 different vernier options for the leg - I painted up both, but will choose the shallow version. 

DSC05645.JPG

DSC05646.JPG

Spectacular!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

anybody have any idea as to tail markings for fictional squadrons aboard the Mega Road 2? I will use N for Pacific, not sure what the other letter would be. I have a serial number cooked up as well.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CVW-2 is NE, which seems like it would fit.

The traditional tailcode, however, for the Sundowners is NL.

 

Either way, that is a hot looking VF-4 so far @Goodman Models!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2022 at 2:52 PM, Goodman Models said:

anybody have any idea as to tail markings for fictional squadrons aboard the Mega Road 2? I will use N for Pacific, not sure what the other letter would be. I have a serial number cooked up as well.

 

Good question ! I only got as far as SDF-2 markings on my models. So you're able to print your own letters and numbers or are you stenciling?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a few update shots (phone camera). I learned that there are 2 noted squadrons aboard the SDF-2; skull and iron chiefs, so that leaves room for a sundowner squad. Still working on the markings.

16510241795051907339770777099441.jpg

16510242378692681283234386962077.jpg

16510242986924543509183313801560.jpg

16510243643558469754829938469661.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2022 at 10:55 PM, slide said:

CVW-2 is NE, which seems like it would fit.

The traditional tailcode, however, for the Sundowners is NL.

 

Either way, that is a hot looking VF-4 so far @Goodman Models!!

I would like to use the NL, but in my mind I don't think it makes sense anymore. I think it has to be a made up one for "fleet defense" or something like that instead of a Homebase. I'm not %100 yet tho. And thank you Slide!

Edited by Goodman Models
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2022 at 12:29 AM, Bolt said:

Good question ! I only got as far as SDF-2 markings on my models. So you're able to print your own letters and numbers or are you stenciling?

 

So the SDF-2 is MegaRoad-01, one being the class and one the ship of the line. I'm using the Megaroad-01 decal from the kit. The test of the codes I'm looking through my stash, maybe I'll be able to cobble it together. I have luck printing decal as, I may try that as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's an update on the VF-4; started decals on the nacelles. Waiting on a buddy to recreate the rear canopy in clear 3D printed resin and a buck for vacuum forming a replacement for the donor kit. Meanwhile I have been working on a RGM-79 sniper II prototype. thanks for checking in!

DSC05650.JPG

DSC05649.JPG

DSC05648.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...