BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

my $.02

I have to say that I like the new story but I prefer the old mechanical designs for the most part. The new Vipers are OK the new Galactica is much cooler than the old but the new Base Stars, Cylon Raiders and Centurions suck donkey balls.

Unlike the rest of you I like the president. She keeps Adama in check and does so much less annoyingly than the council of 12 in the original show. Without conflict there is no story and if it's Galactica vs. the Cylons every week it'll get really boring really fast. I don't mind a female Starbuck. She act's just like the male Starbuck right down to the mannerisms but I don't like the new Col. Tigh he sholda been a brotha, the new Galactica seriously lacks color.

In conclusion, it's a good show so far and I'm really cuious to see if they'll find Earth this time.

Unlike the rest of you I like the president. She keeps Adama in check and does so much less annoyingly than the council of 12 in the original show. Without conflict there is no story and if it's Galactica vs. the Cylons every week it'll get really boring really fast. I don't mind a female Starbuck. She act's just like the male Starbuck right down to the mannerisms but I don't like the new Col. Tigh he sholda been a brotha, the new Galactica seriously lacks color.

I like the role of the president, but it'd be cool to see her die off. Not to get rid of her, but just to see some sort reality in a story where the scariest thing is being killed my machines.

While I can understand people liking the old Cylons (cuz I thought they were the coolest back then) I can't see a show like this going back to that men-in-suits look.

my $.02

but I don't like the new Col. Tigh he sholda been a brotha, the new Galactica seriously lacks color.

In conclusion, it's a good show so far and I'm really cuious to see if they'll find Earth this time.

What about Duella and Elosha? They don't look white to me.

This show has an asian and a hispanic as well...why do people look for this kind of nitpicking? The original show never had asian or hispanic people...should we condemn that too?

Some people think racial diversity isn't there unless the one they favor is prominent above the rest.

Sure, he coulda been a black dude but then, someone would grumble that they made the black dude an alcoholic.

Edited by Gaijin

my $.02

Unlike the rest of you I like the president. She keeps Adama in check and does so much less annoyingly than the council of 12 in the original show. ..... I don't mind a female Starbuck. She act's just like the male Starbuck right down to the mannerisms but I don't like the new Col. Tigh he sholda been a brotha, the new Galactica seriously lacks color.

Well, it's sort of spoilerish, but hopefully you'd didn't find the Council of Twelve TOO annoying, although the new council seems to be less the pompous old windbags of the original. And it's got an interesting VP...

I have to agree that I like the president. There's a distinct difference between the military viewpoint and the civilian, which never was a part of the original. The original almost gave the impression that each Battlestar was crewed by the populace of their colony and whole families made up the 'warrior' caste, as opposed to the new BSG where it seems more of a volunteer army full of soldiers (and unlike the more jack of all trades warriors, you have marines, pilots, MPs, etc).

In spite of my early feelings, I like the new Starbuck. The only way I would've liked her more would've been they went with a 'next generation' storyline and had she'd been the daughter of Starbuck and Cassiopeia (she almost physically looks it too). The only thing I'm not fond of is that they seem to throw her into every little situation, whether or not it would be logical for a pilot to have the skills for such.

As for Tigh, I like the new character's more rounded personality. Don't care what skin tone he is.

I don't want to ramble on about all the little things I like, so I'll make mention of the one thing that really won me over on this show as opposed to the original (despite thinking that would never happen). This series depicts the last remnants of humans struggling to get away, worn thin from being constantly hounded, paranoid over internal intrusion, desperate for the basic necessities that planet living folks take for granted, and basically not in a good situation, mentally, physically, and psychologically. The old show had the fleet galavanting around the stars, coming across planets full of humans (casion planet, wild west planet, mine planet, prison planet) and only once in a blue moon even contemplating taking the people with them or at least warning them. All too often they resolved the local issue (usually Starbuck or Apollo getting away from it) and left, carelessly leaving the planet to potentially be massacred...the thought never even crosses their mind. At least in the new BSG there would be some gnashing over how they don't have space and what to do with the new found people (not that they've come across a good chunk of people yet...and at this point they may be inclined to believe they're all Cylons...).

In spite of my early feelings, I like the new Starbuck. The only way I would've liked her more would've been they went with a 'next generation' storyline and had she'd been the daughter of Starbuck and Cassiopeia (she almost physically looks it too). The only thing I'm not fond of is that they seem to throw her into every little situation, whether or not it would be logical for a pilot to have the skills for such.

I can see yout point about that, but that's the case for every show's heroic characters. Also remember, where ever she's at, Appollo was or is on his way there. So you're kinda singling her out as someone whos always at the center of the action. She even said prior, she's the best shot in and out of the cockpit.

my $.02

but I don't like the new Col. Tigh he sholda been a brotha, the new Galactica seriously lacks color.

What about Duella and Elosha? They don't look white to me.

This show has an asian and a hispanic as well...why do people look for this kind of nitpicking? The original show never had asian or hispanic people...should we condemn that too?

Some people think racial diversity isn't there unless the one they favor is prominent above the rest.

Sure, he coulda been a black dude but then, someone would grumble that they made the black dude an alcoholic.

Ok let me clarify. I don't dislike the new Tigh because of his skin color but because he's a dick. The old Tigh was a competent, professional officer and I would have preferred him to be more similar to the original in both apperance and personality. Not because of any racial issues but as a tribute to the original. The new Tigh is an interesting character but I'd have rather seen him as another character. This is all just my opinion and doesn't really detract that much from the show for me. These are the ways I'd do it if it were my show.

:)

Did any of you guys catch the special on SciFi before it aired the 2 new BSG episodes? I saw some of it and the impression I walked away with, was that the fan reaction to the new Starbuck wasn't well recieved. So the series producers plan to alter the character that was depicted in the mini. I like this new series btw. One thing that I think that is missing from the original is the notion that the surviving Humans all come from different colonies. The humans for the most part don't seem to posses many differences in terms of coming from different planets (languages,beliefs, politics, religion, etc) colonies. Hopefully as the show progresses well see more of this.

Oh. Ok. ;)

While I agree new Tigh is an ass, it does make him a more interesting, believable character. Sure we all liked the old guys, but truth be told cardboard cut outs of "good guys" don't make for as good story telling. I have superior rank just like Tigh. I hate 'em too. Makes it a bit more realistic for me...same with Starbuck and Boomer...I work with women who are like that on the job...guess that's why this show strikes a special chord for me.

The BSG reincarnation reminds me of another good show that unfortunately was never given a fair chance to find an audience...Space: Above and Beyond. Both shows share the same "realistic", subdued, feel to the space FXs: no garish colors, somewhat believable fighter flight physics, low sound effects in the space shots, gritty textures, lack of wiz bang energy weapons, and that "you're there" combat cameramen shooting style.

Like many, I still have a few quibbles with some of the characters (Ex.: Starbuck) and characterizations; and the background music leaves much to be desired, though it sort of matches the mood of the new show, when compared to the excellent score of the original that had a more adventurous and epic feel to it.

The original, minus most of Galactica 1980, will always be one of my favorite sci-fi shows of all time, dated as it is today, it's still an enjoyable romp. And the new one, based on what I've seen so far, promises to be another immediate classic.

Actually I missed that show Space: Above and Beyond. I thought that would be more realistic in how we would fight in Space and how other countries/allies are involved as well.

I like Tigh for one reason and one reason only:

He's human.

He's flawed, iffy, has doubts, and a drinking problem. BUT when push comes to shove, he's professional, cool-headed, and he does his job.

To me, Tigh is the greatest heroic model of the show because he doesn't let his personal problems cross over into his professional requirments.

EDIT

I like SAAB for the same reason I enjoy shows like Tour of Duty and even Stargate (to an extent): It seems like the main characters, while the heros of the story, are part of a much larger effort/group. The show didn't shoehorn them into every important, life-or-death situation (a common flaw). Instead, I always came away with the idea that we were watching a small part of a much larger story, and I like that idea.

Edited by CoryHolmes

A very interesting article:

http://www.syfyportal.com/article.php?id=1685

One thing a lot of people don't know: many cable(via DVR's and digital STB's) and satellite companies also collect data on what is watched and or recorded on their DVR...not just nielsen and tivos. While they don't show in the nielsen ratings, broadcast companies do look at the info. This is a big secret in the cable/sat industry because lots of people feel if their cable co. knew that they know what they watch feel like they are having their privacy invaded. So...yes, watching the show when it airs may impact the decision, even if you don't have a Tivo or are a nielsen family.

If you have basic cable with no STB or DVR, then no they can't get the data...

Edited by Gaijin

I really enjoyed the premier...and I love what they are doing with space combat...making it look more "real". When the viper torqued around on it's axis to fire I whooped out loud! Hope it keeps up.

I'm a little nervous about the Baltar crap...the ongoing hes almost caught...and then not seems like it will get old.

I kinda like Baltar as he is. This character is completely amoral in his desire to save his own hide and will do anything to that end. He's a slimy and smarmy as they come, and that's a rather pleasant change from the usual cookie-cutter baddie.

Agreed...this Baltar is a coward. And I really expected him to take the old lady's number back on Caprica (anyone thought it was funny that she didn't realize her glasses were on her head?). If the Cylons needed to mind f*$k a man, he sure is the one to do it to. I like it.

the new series is to Battlestar Glactica, as DYRL is to SDF Macross, intence charecter development set to the background of space combat, especialy with the modern updated look, i am really interested to see how the boomer situation pans out that really got me hooked (concidering how close nit boomer starbuck and Apolo were in the original series)

although i only have one gripe about the new series, and thats the galactica's new design, i much much prefered the original one.

post-26-1106170790_thumb.jpg

OK, now that I've seen the UK music shown along with the opening credits I echo the comments that it fits the show better. Thay are very similar but, the UK one with the voices seems more in tune with the show. Still love the taiko drums in both though.

UK Intro

US Intro

I hope they change it back.

And I can't wait to see the third episode Friday.

Edited by Gaijin

You are all lucky, turns out here in richmond we don't even HAVE scifi!! UGH!! Man right when something cool comes on too. I was so looking forward to this after watching some old sschool bg reruns and having flashbacks of 3rd grade

Do you have any friends that live in Chesterfield? Comcast has it. ;)

ARRRR I'm on comcast and I couldn't find it!! Even the Tv guide channel didn't list it!! Opus what number is sci-fi in chesterfield?

It's #127. It may only be on digital, but if you don't have digital you should get it . It's totally worth the $10 extra.

Holy Shreg I just watched episode 13 from the british run and all I have to say is they better pick this thing up for at least the next six backup scripts. Too many cliffhangers, too much left unanswered and shreg just the last minute, oh man, someone who's watched this IM me I need to talk about it. Holy Croy.

The old Baltar would have chewed up this girlie-man. :lol:

Deliberate traitor with an agenda > accidental traitor.

but he's the one that is actually sleeping with one.

pretty much, his smaller brain was doing all the thinking at that time.

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 Posted on Jan 21 2005, 09:26 PM

You are all lucky, turns out here in richmond we don't even HAVE scifi!! UGH!! Man right when something cool comes on too. I was so looking forward to this after watching some old sschool bg reruns and having flashbacks of 3rd grade

Well, I'm not so lucky here either. I'm on vacation and visiting the the wifey here in MANILA, where everything new tv wise isn't gonna be shown until maybe this time next year :angry: ! At least, I'll be back in the west coast in 3 weeks and then I can catch up on my BSG with re-runs <_< .

Overnight ratings for this past week's episode no 3. "Bastille Day" went up from the previous week from a 3.3 to a 3.4. Not sure what the national ratings were but this is good news. Sci-Fi makes the official decsion on Feb. 1st. on whether season 2 is a go.

Tomorrow night's episode looks fantastic.

On the game side...finally got around to finishing it...in the ending they show the Original Galactica and as they mention the "forty years" of peace, cut to the new series Galactica showing the retro-fit update.

Edited by Gaijin