BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

I kinda like this new thing... I mean, ok, I liked the original's score better, and while I like the new Starbuck, I think she has a way to go to fill Dirk Benedict's shoes. He was Face Man, for God's sakes. That's alot to live up to.

Overall, I think I'll enjoy this series... I tell you one thing, though. They better bring back the Pegasus! It would be a crime if the other remaining Battlestar didn't show up.

Just finished watching...

It goes the way I expected...like Firefly, the sci fi is really just backdrop and the story does focus more on the characters and drama.

Kudos....I can live without all the techno babble gobbledy gook of all the other sci fi out there.

TOS fans can gripe but this is clearly superior and not in the "hey we're new and hip" way.

Overall, I think I'll enjoy this series... I tell you one thing, though. They better bring back the Pegasus! It would be a crime if the other remaining Battlestar didn't show up.

Moore has stated that the Pegasus is a very big possibility for the future. ;)

So, who do ya get to command it? Jeff Bridges? No no, Dirk Benedict!!! That would be so sweet, I would crap my pants.

Hell, he could even say...

"Your call sign is Starbuck?!! Hell, when I was a young Viper pilot, they called me Starbuck too!!" :p

So, who do ya get to command it? Jeff Bridges? No no, Dirk Benedict!!! That would be so sweet, I would crap my pants.

"Your call sign is Starbuck?!! Hell, when I was a young Viper pilot, they called me Starbuck too!!" :p

That would be pushing it, LOL. I would say that borderlines on being fay.

That would be pushing it, LOL. I would say that borderlines on being fay.

True....a more fitting line would be him poking fun at it...

"Starbuck?!!? ...what the frack kind of call sign is that?!" :D

I'm tired.

How about Herbert Jefferson Jr. to command the Peagasus? Richard Hatch playing a political prisoner will be pretty cool. C'mon show some love to the original Boomer!

post-26-1105806423_thumb.jpg

Anybody think about how freaking dumb a callsign of Starbuck would be? I get why it's the name of the character, but if it were a completley original show, do you think anyone would have really used Starbuck for any type of show (excluding ones in which you chase white Whales)?

BTW I thought the show was incredible, I have none of the baggage of the old folks on the board, I've seen the original BSG for the first time in the last week, and it blows.

I wouldn't say the old series blows...just that it was fine for it's time. Galactica 1980 was an example of something that blows...I was 7 years old at the time and thought it really really sucked...the flying motorcycles did nothing for me (and I was 7), the stories were laughable and the Super Scouts just made it into super cheese fests with the exception of that "The Return of Starbuck" episode...in which we don't even see the Troy and Dillon goofs, nor the crappyness that go with them.

New Boomer's hot. :D

:lol: Yeah didn't Galactica 1980 blew (from that flying bike to the "time-warp" boosters to the goon-human-looking-Cylons... wait a minute) but it had a couple good things. "Boxy" being all grown up, etc and Starbuck's last mission, etc.

Takes the fun outta seeing the show on TV for me...but I don't enjoy watching stuff on my computer.  I like sitting on the couch for that stuff...plus it would make my 50" LCD lonely. :D

What he said!

Takiing the time to DL something, then having to watch it on my PC while squinting and getting pins&needles in my a$$, doesn't sound too appealing to me either.

Nice sound and a big picture from a 16:9 TV is the way to go!!!

Takes the fun outta seeing the show on TV for me...but I don't enjoy watching stuff on my computer.  I like sitting on the couch for that stuff...plus it would make my 50" LCD lonely. :D

Or you could just route it to your TV using XBMC to stream it off your home LAN. ;) Bingo, just like TV, but without the interruptions.

Although it'll be a long time before Japan gets it, so I'll be waiting even longer than anyone for the DVD versions, and most likely paying twice the price. (sigh)

Plus only two more episodes until the "long wait," then again, if I can wait for Macross, if I can wait for Serenity, well then I can wait for new BSG.

Edited by LePoseur

Thanks to the wonders of the internet (I haven't had cable for 6 years), I was finally able to watch the first episode of the series, on my TV too through the S-video port on my Powerbook.

I'm a fan of the original, watched it all when I was a kid, and own the box set. I actually think I may end up liking the new series more. I like the realism in both the story, characters, the way it's shot, and the space fighting scenes. CG is top notch, I love the way the Vipers use thrusters to move around. It's almost enough to make me want to get cable just for this show.

Edited by bhop

Thanks to the wonders of the internet (I haven't had cable for 6 years), I was finally able to watch the first episode of the series, on my TV too through the S-video port on my Powerbook.

I'm a fan of the original, watched it all when I was a kid, and own the box set. I actually think I may end up liking the new series more. I like the realism in both the story, characters, the way it's shot, and the space fighting scenes. CG is top notch, I love the way the Vipers use thrusters to move around. It's almost enough to make me want to get cable just for this show.

I've hooked up my Powerbook to my TV through the VGA inputs on the set (no DVI but HDMI...go figure) ...but still not a fan of watching things on the TV with my computer when I can just watch it via Cable. Guess I'm old fashioned. ;)

I've hooked up my Powerbook to my TV through the VGA inputs on the set (no DVI but HDMI...go figure) ...but still not a fan of watching things on the TV with my computer when I can just watch it via Cable. Guess I'm old fashioned. ;)

Well, yeah, I don't blame you. If I had the option of watching it on cable, i'd definitely choose that over the computer. It would probably be more clear. I just don't have that option.

CG is top notch, I love the way the Vipers use thrusters to move around.

Yeah, for a weekly show it is really well done. I saw the mini-series a while back, and the first series episode last night. I good start, I thought. I'll give it a chance and see how it develops. The Cylon warriors were pretty cool too.

I think in the end I like both series for different reasons...

My girlfriend and I watched the re-broadcast of the mini-series last week, and then watched the new premier... VERY GREAT SHOW!! We both loved it... We will be watching religiously...

I'm still having issue with a female Starbuck... and a Cylon Boomer, but eh.. I can get over it since the show is just great.

I love the cinametography in the space scenes.. very unique, and very realistic looking... Showing such a large ship as the Galactica from far away to make it look tiny next to that nebula in the mini was awesome... the way it really gives you a good perspective on how vast the universe is... Oh... a little to philosophical... LOL!

The BSG reincarnation reminds me of another good show that unfortunately was never given a fair chance to find an audience...Space: Above and Beyond. Both shows share the same "realistic", subdued, feel to the space FXs: no garish colors, somewhat believable fighter flight physics, low sound effects in the space shots, gritty textures, lack of wiz bang energy weapons, and that "you're there" combat cameramen shooting style.

Like many, I still have a few quibbles with some of the characters (Ex.: Starbuck) and characterizations; and the background music leaves much to be desired, though it sort of matches the mood of the new show, when compared to the excellent score of the original that had a more adventurous and epic feel to it.

The original, minus most of Galactica 1980, will always be one of my favorite sci-fi shows of all time, dated as it is today, it's still an enjoyable romp. And the new one, based on what I've seen so far, promises to be another immediate classic.

Y'know what, I just realized why I like this series so much. It fills the fracken void that happened when Space: Above and Beyond went off the air.

Both gritty space-based drama where humans get their assed kicked just as much as they kicked ass.

---dammit. mechaninac beat me to the S:AAB reference while I was doing work orders. Time to abuse some power and ban him for a week!!! :blink::blink: Bwahahahaha!!!!

Edited by Dangard Ace