BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

Hey guys, not sure if the first season is even done or mini series or what have you, but is there any plans for a DVD release?  like SOON?

DVD of the mini series is out already. Since the show is on it's first run in the US, we won't see the US release until sometime late 2005. UK'ers will get the first season DVD's sometime mid year.

It's been speculated that the US release will likely to have more in the way of more extras just like the mini series (UK release was a bare bones release, US had full length commentary, 40 plus minute lowdown featurette on the mini, as well as a lot of interesting deleted scenes).

Part of Sci-Fi's way to keep people from importing the DVD's possibly. The 3rd episode was cut in the UK (the scene in the briefing room between Starbuck and Flat Top's masturbation innuendo was cut) but aired in it's entirety in the US.

Also, lots of scenes were cut from the broadcast episodes for time constraints. We might get those on the DVD release hopefully. One important one dealt with the picture the pilots tap on their way out of the ready room. That picture was a Colonial solider looking at all the destruction on Caprica, a sort of nod to the iconic 9/11 fire fighters raising the flag at Ground Zero as a "we shall never forget" type icon and was supposed to have been given to Roslin in '33' and spread throughout the fleet. Would have been cool, and prevented people asking,

"what is that picture?"

Edited by Gaijin

As much as I like the Stargate shows, BSG has much better looking space shots. The spaceships on Stargate always look CGed.

Alright, what about ST: TNG? Their special effect is way better than BSG. BSG just don't have the budget, that's why they have these cheap actors/actresses and lame special effect.

That Fri. episode when starbuck fight against those 8 enemy space ships, the special effect quality dated back to the first star war in 1977. Just a couple of beam shots, when I was watching it, I just can't believe how plain that is. Talk about "lack of special effect."

Even the setup of the interior of the ships, ST:TNG is many times better. I mean, is it even possible that in the time era of BSG, that they are still relying on analog clock? Next thing you know, they are using Energizer battery. Have you seen an analog clock (like the ones at Walmart) in ST:TNG?

I can understand if you don't like it, but why are you trying so hard to convice the rest of us to feel the same way?

Just a couple of beam shots... :lol: maybe he thinks they're really in space and those are real planets, so all the FX he sees are the beam shots... :lol: and for them to use real missiles out in 0G, talk about plain cheesy... :rolleyes:

I never liked the space shots in Next Gen. It always looked CGed, to me. I was pretty surprised to find out that the actually used physical models. BSG looks soo much better.

What beam shots? They don't have directive energy weapons on BSG. Starbuck was shooting at them with autocannon. They use bullets. Particle effects in CG are incredibly common. The weapons choice has nothing to do with budget. It's probably harder to do the bullets, than to do a standard sci-fi energy beam.

They're not going for the bling bling wow factor, they're going for realism. And, they're doing it well.

Analog clocks, when digital technology exists. Imagine that. Most people prefer analog cocks. I see a lot more analog watches, than digital ones, in the real world, even though digital clock/watch technology has been around for decades. Those Rolex watches must be pretty cheap, they're analog!

The Galactica itself has low tech inside, becasue it was built for the first Cylon war. They kept it low tech, so that the Cylons couldn't use the colonies' own sophisticated computer technology against them. Adama has never allowed the ship's systems to be updated. This was all done on a pupose.

Again, the interior look is for realism. They don't want it to look like a luxery liner, inside. It's an aging, 40 year old battleship.

Look at pictures of the inside of a real warship. Looks a lot more like the Galactica, than the Enterprise.

I don't care how well known the actors on the show are. They can act! That counts for a lot more than a big name.

You're confusing realism with low budget. Real cars don't blow up when they get shot in the trunk, regardless of what Hollywood would have us believe. If you saw a car not blow up in a movie, when the back end got shot, would you think that was also low budget?

I hope that wasn't directed at me, cuz I was being sarcastic...

From Mediablvd's Galactica board, article from gateworld:

http://www.mediablvd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23127

SCI FI Friday nudges up in ratings

MONDAY - JANUARY 31, 2005

The January 28 broadcast of The SCI FI Channel's new primetime line-up improved on the premiere week's ratings, with Battlestar Galactica once again leading the pack. All three original series -- including Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis -- turned in improved numbers for the night, with Atlantis posting the biggest gain.

Stargate SG-1 led off the night at 8 p.m. Eastern/Pacific with "Prometheus Unbound." The episode, guest starring Farscape's Claudia Black, drew 2.5 million people and earned a 2.1 average household rating, up one-tenth of a point from last week. The episode even beat a new episode of UPN's Star Trek: Enterprise in total viewers, SCI FI reported -- despite the fact that the cable channel is available in fewer U.S. homes.

Black will return for the first five episodes of Season Nine, premiering this summer on SCI FI.

Stargate Atlantis made a strong improvement over the previous week's numbers with a 2.4 average household rating -- three-tenths of a point better. The 9 p.m. broadcast of "The Defiant One" drew 2.9 million viewers, up 12 percent from the mid-season premiere.

Finally, new series Battlestar Galactica took the top prize for the second straight week at 10 p.m. "Act of Contrition" earned a 2.5 household rating, up one-tenth of a point from last week. Three million viewers tuned in for the episode, making it SCI FI's top-rated program of the week.

The strong numbers made The SCI FI Channel the number one cable channel of the night among viewers age 25 to 54 and men 25 to 54, and second among viewers 18 to 49.

More brand new episodes of all three series continue this Friday at 8 p.m. Eastern/Pacific on SCI FI!

This means season 2 is almost a sure thing. ;)

Hey guys, not sure if the first season is even done or mini series or what have you, but is there any plans for a DVD release?  like SOON?

DVD of the mini series is out already. Since the show is on it's first run in the US, we won't see the US release until sometime late 2005. UK'ers will get the first season DVD's sometime mid year.

It's been speculated that the US release will likely to have more in the way of more extras just like the mini series (UK release was a bare bones release, US had full length commentary, 40 plus minute lowdown featurette on the mini, as well as a lot of interesting deleted scenes).

Part of Sci-Fi's way to keep people from importing the DVD's possibly. The 3rd episode was cut in the UK (the scene in the briefing room between Starbuck and Flat Top's masturbation innuendo was cut) but aired in it's entirety in the US.

Also, lots of scenes were cut from the broadcast episodes for time constraints. We might get those on the DVD release hopefully. One important one dealt with the picture the pilots tap on their way out of the ready room. That picture was a Colonial solider looking at all the destruction on Caprica, a sort of nod to the iconic 9/11 fire fighters raising the flag at Ground Zero as a "we shall never forget" type icon and was supposed to have been given to Roslin in '33' and spread throughout the fleet. Would have been cool, and prevented people asking,

"what is that picture?"

So that's what was up with that picture they were tapping. Now I"ll have to get the mini series dvd's. I just thought the classic series was the only one out.

Glad to hear its going well...I missed this weeks episode and just caught it last night...Excellent! I wonder how much they will tip their hat to the original series episode with Starbuck and a cylon caught on a planet.

Effects wise...I love it...loved firefly too...nice to know the connection.

I have the miniseries DVD...and based on the first few episodes Ill be buying the regular season DVD;s...Im loving it!

Wasn't aimed at you, Exo. Your's was just the last post to quote that guy that keeps making up things to not like about the new BSG.

Awesome!

I can't wait til you guys see Fridays ep. cuz I have this question i wanted to ask...

Also, if you like the effects now, wait til you get to later eps.

Edited by >EXO<

Wasn't aimed at you, Exo. Your's was just the last post to quote that guy that keeps making up things to not like about the new BSG.

Awesome!

I can't wait til you guys see Fridays ep. cuz I have this question i wanted to ask...

Also, if you like the effects now, wait til you get to later eps.

4 more daaaaaaaaaaays.... :(

Looks pretty cool though.

For those that wanted more behind the scenes, SCI-FI has a few videos and Ron Moore's blogs on the show as well.

Video features

Ron Moore Blogs

Saw 5th episode. Damn. Though it's overall in some ways the weakest IMO of the 5 shown so far, it also had some of the absolute hardest hitting moments between the characters..Adama and Apollo, them with Roslin. Gold.

The "We'd never leave" line almost got me all teary. That and the "Guess you'll never find out if she's a real blonde." That one had me rolling.

Thought it was ironic that a "toaster" gave away Helo to the "Toasters".

:D

Awesome.

Cobbled together from verious other posts I've made on this show.

Coming into the miniseries as a fan of the original, I had mixed reactions. I didn't care for the new Starbuck or Apollo, while I love that they merely reinvisioned the artstyle. I love the fact the the Galactica actually still looks like the Galactica.

Seeing the series, I've noticed that all the characters have smoothed out rather nicely. I actually have no problem with any of them now. The series has basically settled every problem I had with the miniseries. The only complaint I still have is the 'Cylons being created by man' part. It's rather overdone in Science Fiction now-a-days. I treat this seperately from the classic series. Enough is different to warrent the remake yet the same to keep it still 'Battlestar Galactica'. I love this show for different reasons than the original. This has to be one of the best reimaginings I've ever seen.

After watching 33 and Water, I was impressed. The characters had leveled off well, the plotlines don't have the chessy gimicks the miniseries had now and then ("just a few more minutes...."), and the mood and feel wass coming together. I can honestly say that I enjoyed those 90 minutes more than all I've seen of Enterprise(which isn't much). Seeing the rest, I can honestly say that this show kicks Enterprise's @$$, but that probably wouldn't be too hard. I haven't been this into a full space opera like this since B5.

After seeing the season finale, I have this to say. Do not watch this episode until 14 is available. The cliff hanger at the end is probably going to drive me nutsfor the next seven months wondering whether they'll fully open the can of worms they've presented. My cubits says no, but one never knows. Not to mention all the other loose ends floating around. I swear, if this turns out like another John Doe (a show I was really into that was cut short before any answers and a major development had occured) I'm going to be really fracking pissed.

Here's to the hope of a really good second season to come. The last few episodes of this one were far better than the miniseries itself. It's all coming together.

You're all in for quite a ride. It lags a bit in the middle, but hits full thottle around episode 10.

The Galactica itself has low tech inside, becasue it was built for the first Cylon war. They kept it low tech, so that the Cylons couldn't use the colonies' own sophisticated computer technology against them. Adama has never allowed the ship's systems to be updated. This was all done on a pupose.

Again, the interior look is for realism. They don't want it to look like a luxery liner, inside. It's an aging, 40 year old battleship.

Look at pictures of the inside of a real warship. Looks a lot more like the Galactica, than the Enterprise.

I never liked the space shots in Next Gen. It always looked CGed, to me. I was pretty surprised to find out that the actually used physical models. BSG looks soo much better.

The best CG is babylon 5. Those space ships looks so real that they can fly out of the screen. I'm very impressed w/ them. I don't understand why shows like BSG not use that level of CG.

Analog clocks, when digital technology exists. Imagine that. Most people prefer analog cocks. I see a lot more analog watches, than digital ones, in the real world, even though digital clock/watch technology has been around for decades. Those Rolex watches must be pretty cheap, they're analog!

You're missing the pt. A sci fi show, the screenwriters who created the back bone, the structure of the show, the entire script per episode has to be convincing. I find 90% of all Hollywood movie has bad script, or a certain critical scene tanks and corrupted the rest of the movie. Among that 90%, 70% is due to bad script, or backbone of the story doesn't make sense.

Analog clock and sci fi just doesn't go together, no more than a telephone. I don't care how they "try" to justify it on a show.

Like tonight's episode, is it remotely possible that robot found the human, start shooting at the bar, and yet never bother walk around the bar to make sure that human is dead?

Think about it, would you do that? You obviously heard the toaster pops the bread, that there is human in that room, you either search that place or you shot anything that moves. The human was evading the machine gun shot, and yet in the end--the robot never check to see if any of his shot make it thru? And just walk out and leave the human alive with not even 1 bullet wound?

If you were the screenwriter, would you write a script like that?

Edited by Happy Hopping

The best CG is babylon 5. Those space ships looks so real that they can fly out of the screen. I'm very impressed w/ them. I don't understand why shows like BSG not use that level of CG

Actually, I think BSG's FX surpass B5's. B5 always looked digital and fake. They were often too colorful. BSG is more understated and realistic looking. I love the camera work in those scenes as well. As for Helo, there's a reason why the Cylons did what you're talking about. Just keep watching.

Guys HH is just some pathetic little 40 yr old virgin troll who still lives in his mothers basement, just ignore him. However about his argument against analog clocks let me sum up a paper a friend of mine did for a psych class.

I want everyone to look at their watch or the nearest clock.

Now without looking back, what time is it?

Chances are if you had to look again you were looking at a digital clock. The human mind tends to process information taken from analog sources better then digital and remember them more. The numbers on a digital clock are completely abstract, read, processed and flushed quickly. However the position of the hands on a watch are not so abstract to your brain so when you read them you tend to remember them better. You may not get the time exactly right but you are pretty close when you remember them. WHy else do you think cars still have analog gauges for the most part, unless you had a persistent HUD in the windshield you would never remember your speed or fuel state. The same with planes, event he most advanced figher out there with a persistent HUD still has gauges on the HDD, whether they be physical guages or digital representations of them on an MFD.

So the fact that Galactica and most ships still use analog clocks really adds a great sense of reaslism to the show. All the tech just seems so achievable that it makes it very real for the viewers and is almost to an extent a slap in the face to modern day society. "Hey look what we are achieving with tech that is little better then what you are using today, why don't you get your heads out of your @$$e$ and as a society link up to create a real future out in space?" There is litterally no reason why today we could not have moon bases and mars missions out there right now, or even mars bases and deeper space missions, except for politics, lack of real leadership, lack of imagination, greed, and just plain human stupidity. Did you know that had the US and NASA kept going with Von Braun's plans that the US national debt would have been paid off completely by 1985? How does a ring asteroids in lunar orbit sound, asteroids brought back from the belt because they have high mineral wealth content, asteroids that the US and its allies would have exclusive mining rights for? Ok, sorry starting to rant, I better end this now.

You're missing the pt. A sci fi show, the screenwriters who created the back bone, the structure of the show, the entire script per episode has to be convincing. I find 90% of all Hollywood movie has bad script, or a certain critical scene tanks and corrupted the rest of the movie. Among that 90%, 70% is due to bad script, or backbone of the story doesn't make sense.

Analog clock and sci fi just doesn't go together, no more than a telephone. I don't care how they "try" to justify it on a show.

Like tonight's episode, is it remotely possible that robot found the human, start shooting at the bar, and yet never bother walk around the bar to make sure that human is dead?

Think about it, would you do that? You obviously heard the toaster pops the bread, that there is human in that room, you either search that place or you shot anything that moves. The human was evading the machine gun shot, and yet in the end--the robot never check to see if any of his shot make it thru? And just walk out and leave the human alive with not even 1 bullet wound?

If you were the screenwriter, would you write a script like that?

Well, if Hollywood is making a product of which 90% (as you say) is all crap, then why don't you write something and submit it yourself? With your expressive and fluent use of the English language, I'd say that you'd make a wonderful product.

As for analog clocks not being sci-fi, you're wrong. They have long been a staple in science fiction, even when digital technology was around. NASA uses the hell out of them. And they are a space agency.

And for someone who hates the show, you sure are watching it a lot.

I wouldn't mind some intelligent argument from a differing point of view, but that guy is just an idiot. He's gonna watch the show until it ends and choose to be an unhappy person because of it... Strike that, he's already an unhappy person (despite his handle) and decides that he'll blame a show like BSG for it, despite the fact that his many shortcoming, like the lack of brain, is obviously at fault. I'd say his condition could be due to the fact that he enjoyed his dad or uncle's repeated helping to his dishes, even though he told his therapist otherwise.

It's unbelievable that he keeps complaining about cheesy effect and looks to B5 as the better alternative. I heard that B5 has a good story, but from what I saw the rendering of the CG wasnt low poly count and hardly had any bumps to consider a texture. It was good for its time but I rather watch models at that point.

Anyway... the question I wanted to ask from the people that viewed the last ep:

WHat do you think about Adama's choice to exhaust the fleet resources on finding Starbuck vs. his decision to blow up the Olympic Carrier. I had this feeling that if Starbuck or Appollo was on that ship, he would have found another way to resolve that issue.

Edited by >EXO<

I think that was the point that the President was trying to make to both the Adama's. Without being blunt about it.

And as for Happy's remark about Helo and the Cylon. I think most if not all of us here could figure out it was NO accident that he survived the cylon attack in the bar. I haven't seen past this episode yet, but as someone else said...keep watching. I think you are to use to things being wraped up all neat and tidey at the end of each episode...ala trek. That's the difference between episodic tv and a Saga which is what Galactica is.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I'm with you guys on this show. Its freakin awesome. Adama's and Apollo's irrational insistence to continue to search for starbuck really suprised me. Fallable characters are more believable than the your typical do gooders with no moral foibles. I thought 6's costume might have been her sexiest one yet. I loved her blonde comment to Balthar. The only thing that troubled me about the episode was how quickly Starbuck was able to learn the flight controls of the Cylon fighter. But I guess it makes sense on some level. The fighter being organic couldn't be too complex (but organic organism are extremely complex-- whatever). I like the realistic approach they have taken with the show. I think it more believable that way.

Basically GA she was squeezing different glands and nerve clusters to see what response she would get, much like if someone were to poke around in your brain and probe various areas to see what happens. That fact that she got it to fly is no surprise, the fact that she was able to fly it so well is, let's face it, if you are used to a stick and rudder going to squeezing various bio-bits would be a bit of a transisition. Though she would be able to pull more G's in her prone position, so that might explain part of it.

Good explanation Knight. Another thing I was thinking about (hopefully they'll address it in the future) is that there has to be some survivors still left on the colonies. They implied in a earlier ep. that the cylons used some thermal nuclear weapons on the colonies ala DRYL. But, in the episode where Helo was captured he was in a forest with living vegetation. The resulting radation would kill all organic life. I guess the plants/ trees would survive a little longer than the people, but I would have thought the cylons would have turned the colonies into burned out cinders just to be thorough.

Happy reminds me of Edo for some reason.

No one is forcing you to watch. Pop in some movie with laser beams and digital clocks only when it's on if it bothers you so much. Bet you won't. You'll keep watching the show and complaining. Personally I think that's f*$ked in the head but, hey it's your time.

If I didn't like it, you can bet I wouldn't waste my time tuning in every week. Don't like it fine, there's many other things to watch.

Edited by Gaijin