1/100 VF-0S swap transformation

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Do you guys like the notion of swap transformation on the new VF-0?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys like the notion of swap transformation on the new VF-0?

• 1-SHin of COURSE not...perfect transformation only! or too small
    • 2-Sure it is going to be cheap and plentiful...AFFORDABLE..nice TOY too
    • 3-MIXED feelings. like how it is cheap, dislike the transformation

Hey everyone. With the announcement of the VF-0 which I bugged about horrendously past summer. I have returned to make another yes another INFAMOUS POLL BY SHIN DENSETSU KAI 7.0! with Vf-0 my return was inevitable. So i made this poll. How do you all feel about the new toy and its transformatiohn? Sure cheap yes...but with that comes a sacrifice...no perfect transform. here we havea almost "gundam fix" feel to a macross line.. NOt bad at all especilaly considering the price. But many of you like me crave perfect transform ....spooiled by bandai and the yamato 1/48 as well as hell even the darn little banprestos,. So with the price how can you go wrong...but with that transformatiuon will you enjoy it? I will buy one most likely since i love the ddesign so damn much but i would LOVE to buy a big ass perfect transform version later down the line. Come on yamato make this bnastard 1/48!! whjo cares if its ghonna be like 15 inches long its gonna RULE!

:lol:

None of the above. I want fighter and battroid to be as good as possible, and that usually means swapping parts. Swapping a FEW parts to get MUCH better modes is a good thing. Swapping a LOT of parts just to transform is bad, but the VF-0 isn't that.

Look at the nigh-perfect 1/72 YF-19 model featured in Modelgrafix. It transforms and is far better than any other YF-19. Why/how? Because it swaps a FEW, CRITICAL parts that just wouldn't work any other way. If it couldn't swap a part or two, one mode or the other would be quite off. But because it does, we get a perfect fighter and an awesome battroid, with only the "groin" being inaccurate. (And a larger scale could probably have enough room to fix that). Sometimes you just gotta swap a part, when Kawamori draws the fighter and battroid mode versions of that part completely different. :)

i agree with that.....but like i said as long as yamato makes abig ass perfect transformation 1/48 later...then i am fine. regardless i will pick one of these badboys..,.up. sure the 1/60 needed swap also but i think since this thing is made of PVC i think the joint tension shiouldnt be as high therefore it wont be as loose as the 160/...reminds me of a big scale MSIA figure which aint bad at all.

None of the above. I want fighter and battroid to be as good as possible, and that usually means swapping parts. Swapping a FEW parts to get MUCH better modes is a good thing. Swapping a LOT of parts just to transform is bad, but the VF-0 isn't that.

Look at the nigh-perfect 1/72 YF-19 model featured in Modelgrafix. It transforms and is far better than any other YF-19. Why/how? Because it swaps a FEW, CRITICAL parts that just wouldn't work any other way. If it couldn't swap a part or two, one mode or the other would be quite off. But because it does, we get a perfect fighter and an awesome battroid, with only the "groin" being inaccurate. (And a larger scale could probably have enough room to fix that). Sometimes you just gotta swap a part, when Kawamori draws the fighter and battroid mode versions of that part completely different. :)

I've always held this opinion. Critical part swapping is far superior to design compromises for a "perfect transformation". Besides, perfect transformation just means "complicated and time consuming process"

It's a Macross Toy and It's by Yamato. I'm sure I'll love it.

I like the Idea of a cheaper toy. I don't know if I would spend more than 100 bucks for a M0 Toy in a larger scale. Which I'm sure is what it would cost.

I also like the Idea of interchangable noses. Swapping parts doesn't bug me one bit.

Edited by scand

It's a Macross Toy and It's by Yamato. I'm sure I'll love it.

I like the Idea of a cheaper toy. I don't know if I would spend more than 100 bucks for a M0 Toy in a larger scale. Which I'm sure is what it would cost.

I also like the Idea of interchangable noses. Swapping parts doesn't bug me one bit.

I second that and cheaper means we can buy more :p:p:p

Parts swaping vs. perfect transformation. An interesting argument. The mechanisms required to make these things work in the real world are so entirely improbable that being able to replicate them in a toy seems like a fools erand. Of course, the fool that figures out how to do this will bring us all a little bit closer to the wonderful fantasy that is macross and make some money in the process. Oh. . wow. . that swing bar could work on a real full size valk. . .right? :D

Simplified transformation satisfies a physical (and economic) need, while perfect transformation satisfies something on a more idealogical level. I think ;)

SOME part swapping I'm ok with. Removal and such (ala 1/60) i'm all for as long as it can help make it cheaper, especially if good plastic is used instead of die cast (all die cast does is chip anyways).

That said, I prefer the removal of parts for transformation rather than be required to carry around parts with me for said transformation (removal of heat shield, but dislike needing to carry around a canopy or heat shield, for example).

I'm not really sure how it'll turn out. From what Graham has mentioned I get the feelin that Yamato is taking the Macross Zero line into a new direction. I can't really judge from the prototype pics but the price sure seems good. :ph34r:

Considering I display my toys more thenp[lay with them...I dont mind having swapable pieces....if it makes it cheaper, and more resilent and look right sounds good...

It seems the other alternative is 1000's of threads with people complaining the nose is too long in battroid, or too short in fighter...Ill take the swap over that...

I don't really mind swapping parts if it nets a very accurate valk in each mode. I just hope Gerwalk is more stable than the 1/60 VF-1's.

My only quibble is now my fighter mode side by side line up is going to have 3 different scales in there. But for the price, I can easily deal with 1/100 (maybe two of them). My wallet will thank me, especially after this coming EXPENSIVE February (1/60 GBP, Millia Q-rau, Mizuho PVC, Minmei Statue) and I plan to buy an Enterprize-E kit for my Dad's birthday in April.

If graham says it is detailed nicely and articulated then sweet. I look forward to seeing how it comes out.

Now bring on the VF-0D and SV-51.

I'm kinda mixed, but if it makes for a better looking mode, then I'll probably get used to the idea, all I really do is display them anyway, I only change modes once every two weeks if I have the time since Minmei is now 16 months and is finally walking around getting into things. I've been trying to get her to say Valkyrie.

I just wish (please don't flame me here :lol: ) that Yamato would just settle on one scale, maybe 1/60 since they have alot of 1/60s, and start everything in 1/60 and make the 1/48s if it's feasible (not knocking the 1/48s, I love my 1/48s), but I would like all my fighters to line up in scale, as it is now, on one shelf,

i've got 1/144, 1/72, 1/60, 1/55, 1/48 and 1/35 fighters all lined up. So 1/60 is in my opinion, a nice compromise scale, not too big, not too small.

whoops, forgot to say, I will be getting the VF-0S of course, gotta have my M0 fix!

Edited by Chowser

I'm all for perfect transformation if the toy is large enough to do it properly (i.e., 1/48). If the toy is too small to do it without making too many compromises, however, I don't mind swapping a few parts. I'd much rather it look correct in all three modes and have to pull out an extra nose cone or something than have it look good in only one mode.

I look at this new 1/100 VF-0 and I don't have any problems with it. It looks great to me, and I have no doubt a larger version with more bells and whistles will come at some point. If swapping parts is too much for you, then wait for the inevitable larger scale version to come out - it will come.

I'm an engineer and like all engineers, I like engineering marvels of all types. So I like complex toys with an intricate and perfect transformation. I much prefer a battroid mode that actually comes from the fighter mode as opposed to something that is totally accurate to the anime. To me it looks more realistic.

The 1/100 Zero sounds a lot like the old Bandai 1/72 transformable models which I never liked that much. I'm just not a fan of disassemble one form and assemble a new form.

I'll still pick one of these up in hopes that there will be a larger perfect transformation one later.

i shall get bnoth. i just hope this thigng is really stable and for the most part does not have LOOSE hips. Teh transformation doesnt seem so bad for something that i like to think is a "gundam fix" of macross toys. I really want to see fully painted pictures and at least pictures of a transformation. Graham any word on when yamato can greenlight you to show us some shtuff?

Considering I display my toys more then play with them...I dont mind having swapable pieces....if it makes it cheaper, and more resilent and look right sounds good...

I am with that.

I do not mind swapping parts around. I am always in favor of cheeper valks.

dude I did read that. He only showed us scans. I am asking if he will be able to take pics himself or if yamato sent him those publicity pics that they usually send when they make a new product. Remember when macrossworld revealerd the VF-1A hikaru 1/48 and we had those real nice pics? Those are the kind I am talking about. Of course he has seen more stuff...I wonder if we will be able to see what he saw.

sigh... I was hoping yamato would stay away from the removeable legs in their future releases, but it seems like the only way they'll be able to make a smaller valk transform. I guess it's ok, it's better than nothing, right? :p:D:lol:

I couldn't vote for any of the choices. I really dont see any need to buy this valk. If it was 1/60 I would be all over it. But I really dont see any reason to get this scale. I am not a perfectionist but I do like uniformity when possible. Why not scale this toy up to 1/60, why not make it compatible with the rest of their valks? I wouldnt even mind the all plastic construction at 1/60 scale because with the 1/48 series Yamato has proven that they can make a quality sturdy toy in plastic. And we as a fan base have proven to Yamato that we will pay pretty pennies for said toys. I did the math and the sizes are not all that horrible especially considering the material they are going to use for the VF-0. So if they do a 1/100 for a small scale what will be the large "Perfect Transformation" valk going to be 1/35?

Do us a favor Yamato and give us standardized sizes, you should know by now we will pay any amount!

Attached size comparison chart:

chart.jpg

Chart shows sizes of over all length of planes

Edited by Spiff

i'm sorry, but wouldn't this poll be best reserved until after the actual toy has been released. i mean saying that this thing is the r0x0r or the sux0r way before it comes out seems a but premature.....

Edited by Isamu Atreides 86

naw its appropiate, remember the legendary 1/60 vs 1/55 no swap, swap out vs battle debates back when the details of the 1/60 was announced and how it was revealed some time later u needed to swap parts? It wasnt out yet and we did the same thing. MOst of us want to see more better pics and detailed shots of transformation but i think its cool to get everyones opinion as of now.

I'm a child of the 80s, dammit, and we like our Transformers to transform.

I dunno... Right now, I'm very, very averse to the idea of a transforming toy that needs to be taken apart then put back together. Transforming toys, for me, have always been about the transformation. If I want to build a robot out of plane parts, I'll go buy a Lego set. Both modes may look prettier, but I'm perfectly willing to sacrifice a small degree of appearance for a really innovative "perfect" transformation (longish groincone, slightly thin arms, hands a bit on the tiny side, whatever).

It almost would've been easier for Yamato to make this a boxed set. One 1/100 plane, and one 1/100 super-articulated valkyrie with the proportions changed to account for anime magic.

Then again, inasmuch as I have yet to actually SEE the toy, maybe my tune will change, and I'll consider this the best idea ever in a few months.

My problem with the size is that it's not one of the existing 3 scales Yamato already has out for Macross toys. I would definitely buy one in any of those scale just for variety in that scale. I give Yamato the thumbs down on that one.

The only real benefits of the smaller scale are price and space consumption.

I agree with Spiff on his points. We have shown that Macross fans are willing to pay more for a well made toy. It's that belief that has me banking on Yamato making a bigger size soon.

And sure, we all want cheaper toys, but is there really anything you purchase you don't wish was a little cheaper? I don't think the 1/72 scale would've been so much of a jump in price, especially in all plastic, that it couldn't still be considered inexpensive. After import costs and exchange rates, it's still not going to be "cheap" over here in the US anyways.

As for space consumption, I guess I'm a product of American culture, and I like big cars, big guns, and big toys, or maybe it's the fact that, dammit, I prefer perfect transformation, something about it makes it just that much easier for me to suspend my disbelief.

Plus, what's the point of using computers to aid in transformation design, if things like nosecones have to be shortened in order to "get the right purportions" . That's a big disappointment for me in the design of the VF-0

IMO Yamato's plan is, since MacZero is a new series, they want to attract a younger audience in Japan. This in turn gives me hope that they really are planning on launching a new Macross series. (All fingers and toes crossed, not only for a new series, but that it's not as farfetched as Mac7 :lol: )

Will I buy it? Maybe,...eventually.

First editions of anything, from new toys to new cars, are usually plagued with problems. Plus, if they're really that cheap, I might wait until three or four different models like the 0D, 0A, and Anti UN come out and get them as a set.

But frankly, had it been in one of the other existing scales, none of that would have mattered to me. The ability to compare it to mecha from other series would have made the first VF-0 no longer a "will get toy" and instead a "must have right away toy."

That's my opinion.

My problem with the size is that it's not one of the existing 3 scales Yamato already has out for Macross toys. I would definitely buy one in any of those scale just for variety in that scale. I give Yamato the thumbs down on that one...

As for space consumption, I guess I'm a product of American culture, and I like big cars, big guns, and big toys, or maybe it's the fact that, dammit, I prefer perfect transformation, something about it makes it just that much easier for me to suspend my disbelief.

I'm with you ALL the way brutha,

I'm a child of the 80s, dammit, and we like our Transformers to transform.

I dunno... Right now, I'm very, very averse to the idea of a transforming toy that needs to be taken apart then put back together. Transforming toys, for me, have always been about the transformation. If I want to build a robot out of plane parts, I'll go buy a Lego set. Both modes may look prettier, but I'm perfectly willing to sacrifice a small degree of appearance for a really innovative "perfect" transformation (longish groincone, slightly thin arms, hands a bit on the tiny side, whatever).

It almost would've been easier for Yamato to make this a boxed set. One 1/100 plane, and one 1/100 super-articulated valkyrie with the proportions changed to account for anime magic.

...And I LOVE all this... saved me the trouble of writing it. Some may recall how pissed I was about the 1/60's... to that end I only bought the Hikaru A, just for the sake of having a Valk in my 1/60 display, and I never touch the thing... I said it before and I'll say it again: model kits pretending to be toys simply blow!!! Of course, everyone who has this opinion seems to always get painted as some sort of unsofisticated poser non-fan... and gets some sort of response like this:

dont be afraid to say it folks. you want the chunky monkey.
Edited by warrhead

Well , what can I say.

I knew Yamato would come up with something radically different for the M0 line ,but I never thought they would go with 1/100 , though I shouldn´t be su`rised given the size of the VF-0.

I have to say , Ipersonally don´t give a crap about scales , they´re all always relative so they don´t say anything about the toy , 1/100 may sound damn small but as confirmed by Graham this toy will be as large as the 1/72 VF-11 and I never saw anyone complaining about the actual size of 1/72 M+ line when it came out.

All I care about is detail and articulation , and this toy seems to have that , but even considering this I´ll definetivelly wait for the inevitable larger versions of M0 toys.

As somone in another thread said ; Yamato is just trying to enlarge the gap between perfect limited edition toys and mass production toys , I think all of the bitching and whining about the 1/60s and 1/48s came up because of their similarities , even though the 1/60s were pretty detailed and articulated they appeared to be unnecesary after the 1/48s release given their not so radically different prices.

Now we´re getting the good , medium sized , cheap toy line for those with urge for a whole fleet of toys , and I´m sure we´ll get toys for those who want the perfect edition M0 toys , it´s just a matter of time.

I might actually collect both lines , it depends on Yamato´s plans. of course they won´t announce anything about a better toy since that would totally destroy sales for this 1/100 toys , but I´m sure they eventually do them.

Take into account M0 is a new series ans as one it needs to attract a lot of new consumers hence they can´t suddenly make $120 toys to attract a new audience , that would simply scare them away , that´s why they came up with a more affordable , yet nicely engineered 1/100 M0 toy line (to sell lots of them).

If it was 1/100, but perfect transformation, I'd buy it just to see the amazing engineering that would involve.

If it was 1/48, 1/60, or 1/72 but not perfect transformation, I'd be even more interested.

If it was both, in one of those scale, and perfect transformation, wild horses couldn't keep me from getting my hands on one as soon as it came out.

But being both 1/100 and without perfect transformation leaves a lot to be desired. 1/100 is just a lame scale. I keep hearing the excuse, "a 1/100 scale VF-0 would be the same size as a 1/72 VF-1." That may be so, but wasn't Yamato the ones that scrapped the idea of the 1/72 VF-1 for the 1/60 VF-1s because, they seemed too small? So why is it okay for the VF-0 to be so damn small?

-Take away diecast content to keep price low, I understand.

-Using swapable parts for better purportion and accuracy, I don't like it, but I understand.

-Using a dumb-ass scale like 1/100 and saying "it's as big as a 1/72 VF-1" (a toy that Yamato doesn't even make BTW) is just lame, especially when they already have 3 perfectly good scales in production. If the 1/100 VF-0 is about the size of a 1/72 VF-1, and a 1/72 version is about the same size as a the VF/YF-19, all I can say is, Anyone who think their Yamato 1/72 VF/YF-19 is "too big" I'd be happy to take them off your hands. Any takers?.....That's what I thought. 1/100 blows.

Just a guess here, but I have a feeling that the reason for this smaller scale toys is purely a sales numbers angle.

For the most part Yamato's 1/60 and 1/48 Macross lines are targetted at collectors only. 60 to 180 dollar toys are not aimed at the toy store pre-teen crowd. They are aimed at the slightly older nostalgia/collector base.

This Macross Zero line is being produced on a current theme, a modern cartoon and Yamato needs to use the license to generate s much revenue from the title as they can while still maintaining their reputation as a high quality product company.

My guess here is that the 1/100 scale toy here is being aimed at the toy store crowd, kids who like the show, parents buying presents for children. Toys to be played with. I imagine that the transformation process will be simpler, the price will be lower with the hopes of cashing in immediately on the fairweather fans, the people who are buying stuff because they just saw the show on TV, lower price will mean better sales.

I would bet dollars to doughtnuts that they will also release a high end line, larger scale, more detailed and more expensive. These will be aimed at the more rabid fans and the slightly older crowd with more disposable income. I would not worry yet, I sincerely doubt that 1/100 scale is the only thing they are gonna do for Mac 0.

Just a guess here, but I have a feeling that the reason for this smaller scale toys is purely a sales numbers angle.

For the most part Yamato's 1/60 and 1/48 Macross lines are targetted at collectors only. 60 to 180 dollar toys are not aimed at the toy store pre-teen crowd. They are aimed at the slightly older nostalgia/collector base.

This Macross Zero line is being produced on a current theme, a modern cartoon and Yamato needs to use the license to generate s much revenue from the title as they can while still maintaining their reputation as a high quality product company.

My guess here is that the 1/100 scale toy here is being aimed at the toy store crowd, kids who like the show, parents buying presents for children. Toys to be played with. I imagine that the transformation process will be simpler, the price will be lower with the hopes of cashing in immediately on the fairweather fans, the people who are buying stuff because they just saw the show on TV, lower price will mean better sales.

I would bet dollars to doughtnuts that they will also release a high end line, larger scale, more detailed and more expensive. These will be aimed at the more rabid fans and the slightly older crowd with more disposable income. I would not worry yet, I sincerely doubt that 1/100 scale is the only thing they are gonna do for Mac 0.

I understand that, and my first post in this thread mentioned the "trying to attract a younger audience" reason as a possibility.

But now that I think about it, any kid in Japan who likes Mac Zero is already paying quite a bit for each 32 minute episode of the OVA. I doubt the price difference between a 1/100 VF-0 and a 1/72 VF-0 would deter anyone who pays that much for an OVA.

For the most part Yamato's 1/60 and 1/48 Macross lines are targetted at collectors only.  60 to 180 dollar toys are not aimed at the toy store pre-teen crowd. They are aimed at the slightly older nostalgia/collector base.

My guess here is that the 1/100 scale toy here is being aimed at the toy store crowd, kids who like the show, parents buying presents for children.  Toys to be played with.  I imagine that the transformation process will be simpler, the price will be lower with the hopes of cashing in immediately on the fairweather fans, the people who are buying stuff because they just saw the show on TV, lower price will mean better sales.

I would bet dollars to doughtnuts that they will also release a high end line, larger scale, more detailed and more expensive.  These will be aimed at the more rabid fans and the slightly older crowd with more disposable income. I would not worry yet, I sincerely doubt that 1/100 scale is the only thing they are gonna do for Mac 0.

A few things you haven´t taken into account:

1.- Yamato only cares about the Japanese consumers , WE , as consumers living outside Japan are at best the last priority hence they´re aiming for the current Japanese audience.

2.- M0 is not your 12 year old , goody goody , cheap budget saturday morning TV show. M0 is an OVA series , OVA series are not directly aimed at 12 year olds who drive their parents mad so they can have the latest Gundam toy. The OVAs themselves cost around $50 dolars already , how do you expect the pre-teen audience to be attracted to M0 if they can´t even buy the OVAs , let alone buy toys based on the series.

3.- Considering M0 is NOT aimed at the pre-teen audience but rather at the 16-30 range then we can assume Yamato is actually aiming to sell affordable toys in BIG numbers rather than expensive toys in small numbers like they´ve done with the 1/48s. Once they´ve had a success selling lots of affordable M0 toys then they´ll risk their money in hugely detailed more expensive toys.

Why are they doing this now ? because they´ve realised that the 1/60 VF-1 line was a bit too expensive to serve as a mass production affordable line of toys as it actually was more of a middle range quality toy therefore when the 1/48s came out the gap between the two lines was a bit to close and pressumeably the 1/60 sales dropped to quickly for them , leaving them only with the limted number of 1/48 sales.

In other words , once the 1/48s came out the 1/60 died , hence they only sold 1/48s (more money per item yet fewer sales ) which were insufficient for what they needed.

That´s why now they´re making ¨smaller¨ more affordable toy lines so they can sell lots of them and get more money than what they´re getting for the 1/48s (yes they are great but they ain´t mass production toys are they ? ) , and I´m sure they´ll eventually release bigger toys once they´ve reached the point when they can invest in such toys.

That´s of course my way of trying to comprehend this.

Edited by Aegis!

For the most part Yamato's 1/60 and 1/48 Macross lines are targetted at collectors only.  60 to 180 dollar toys are not aimed at the toy store pre-teen crowd. They are aimed at the slightly older nostalgia/collector base.

My guess here is that the 1/100 scale toy here is being aimed at the toy store crowd, kids who like the show, parents buying presents for children.  Toys to be played with.  I imagine that the transformation process will be simpler, the price will be lower with the hopes of cashing in immediately on the fairweather fans, the people who are buying stuff because they just saw the show on TV, lower price will mean better sales.

I would bet dollars to doughtnuts that they will also release a high end line, larger scale, more detailed and more expensive.  These will be aimed at the more rabid fans and the slightly older crowd with more disposable income. I would not worry yet, I sincerely doubt that 1/100 scale is the only thing they are gonna do for Mac 0.

A few things you haven´t taken into account:

1.- Yamato only cares about the Japanese consumers , WE , as consumers living outside Japan are at best the last priority hence they´re aiming for the current Japanese audience.

2.- M0 is not your 12 year old , goody goody , cheap budget saturday morning TV show. M0 is an OVA series , OVA series are not directly aimed at 12 year olds who drive their parents mad so they can have the latest Gundam toy. The OVAs themselves cost around $50 dolars already , how do you expect the pre-teen audience to be attracted to M0 if they can´t even buy the OVAs , let alone buy toys based on the series.

3.- Considering M0 is NOT aimed at the pre-teen audience but rather at the 16-30 range then we can assume Yamato is actually aiming to sell affordable toys in BIG numbers rather than expensive toys in small numbers like they´ve done with the 1/48s. Once they´ve had a success selling lots of affordable M0 toys then they´ll risk they´re money in hugely detailed more expensive toys.

Why are they doing this now ? because they realised the 1/60 VF-1 line was a bit too expensive to serve as a mass production affordable line of toys as it actually was more of a middle range quality toy therefore when the 1/48s came out the gap between the two lines was a bit to close and pressumeably the 1/60 sales dropped to quickly for them , leaving them with only wit the limted number of 1/48 sales.

In other words , once the 1/48s came out the 1/60 died , hence they only sold 1/48s (more money per item yet fewer sales ) which were insufficient for what they needed.

That´s why now they´re making ¨smaller¨ more affordable toy lines so they can sell lots of them and get more money than what they´re getting for the 1/48s (yes they are great but they ain´t mass production toys are they ? ) , and I´m sure they´ll eventually release bigger toys once they´ve reached the point when they can invest in such toys.

That´s of course mi way of trying to comprehend this.

I just think the approach is too drastic.

That's like if BMW decided they weren't selling enough cars, and instead of selling something that was a little smaller with all the features, or the same size with fewer features, they come back with something that looks and feels like a Ford Festiva.