1 hour ago, Radioguy said:

So, this license is not ending before TZ releases their same scale Robotech valks?

Again, I remain surprised.

I think the license goes to anyone willing to fill shelves for how ever long they can. Isn't this all that HG has left to survive with? I recall Anymoon also mentioning something like this in one of his recent videos. 

4 minutes ago, Radioguy said:

I guess that solves the implied conflict...unless one of them eventually sues HG saying it really doesn't and the other's sales hurt their bottom line.

Well, KC's "shocking price" sales, imo, indicates some concern on their part....they should have heeded the suggestions from their customers on what needed attention and revisions on their VF-1 mold....at this point, it looks like only a complete design or QC fail on TZ's VF-1 would help keep KC's VF-1 from becoming obsolete...

10 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Well, KC's "shocking price" sales, imo, indicates some concern on their part....they should have heeded the suggestions from their customers on what needed attention and revisions on their VF-1 mold....at this point, it looks like only a complete design or QC fail on TZ's VF-1 would help keep KC's VF-1 from becoming obsolete...

KC hasn't gone that cheap yet. They know well sales are affected by their stated shipping quotes. I have a feeling those are more flexible than they say.

51 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Possibly..

I am still chuckling at the 100 pcs line..     Right now I am looking at about 6 different versions of the Fokker/Hikaru 1S.    each one was super limited!!!!

I am enjoying the unique paint schema's but KC needs to put out something other then a VF-1S to keep my interest.

Suggestion..   SD GBP maybe?

56 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Possibly..

I am still chuckling at the 100 pcs line..     Right now I am looking at about 6 different versions of the Fokker/Hikaru 1S.    each one was super limited!!!!

I am enjoying the unique paint schema's but KC needs to put out something other then a VF-1S to keep my interest.

Kakizaki, DYRL version, metallic green.

I'm willing to drink that koolaid. 😄

On 8/22/2023 at 8:57 AM, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Possibly.

Didn't they stop making the SD line because of a lack of sales? they still offer the SD super strike parts on there store though.

5 hours ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

Didn't they stop making the SD line because of a lack of sales? they still offer the SD super strike parts on there store though.

They probably stopped when the 1/72 line started....

The fact that you can only find the SD armor now on their site says they sold out of their SD VF-1 stock...so that's a good thing...hopefully they can bring it back once they finish off any remaining 1/72 VF-1 releases...

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

51CF8F14-BEAA-4F26-AE67-ECC680CB30B0.jpeg.e9099adb865c9aad385fbd0524f36187.jpeg

BEF32229-B0B1-491E-9BBF-984A9E0A29C4.jpeg.626c7abe8d514002b2b9a0d43e3f17af.jpeg

VF-1J Rick Hunter.

It's looking promising! Glad to see they are trying to improve things this is what separates good companies from bad. I'm looking forward to seeing more in the coming months.

As far as I can tell, this is just the same V 2.X...with less accessories and in a compact box....so not sure if this can be considered "improving things"...

My question is...If they do eventually release an Angelbird, Alaska Base, Cavaliers, etc....will it only be offered in this small box w/o missiles and stand?

Just now, jvmacross said:

As far as I can tell, this is just the same V 2.X...with less accessories and in a compact box....so not sure if this can be considered "improving things"...

My question is...If they do eventually release an Angelbird, Alaska Base, Cavaliers, etc....will it only be offered in this small box w/o missiles and stand?

Well in any business with existing products you make subtle changes, look at any reception then make more from there IMO. I can't answer or even guess on your question.

12 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

KC isn't into subtle changes...lol

about as much as they are into limited releases!  

Seriously though,  doesn't this price point pretty much kill the Toynami 1/100 line?

Outside of the vintage box art,  KC is better in every way at this price point.

35 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

about as much as they are into limited releases!  

Seriously though,  doesn't this price point pretty much kill the Toynami 1/100 line?

Outside of the vintage box art,  KC is better in every way at this price point.

KC's VF-1 was already the better figure....but, yeah....even with the minimal accessory count, the new price point makes the Toynami even more over-priced....

https://www.toynamishop.com/macross-saga-retro-transformable-1-100-vf-1j-ichijo-valkyrie/

Too bad KC did not opt to re-release the repacks in Takatoku-style boxes, I may have been blinded by nostalgia again! :p

7 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Why pay 152.99 when you can pay $190 for less stuff?!  LOL

https://www.kitzconcept.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=126

Vermillion%20Squadron%20Set%20copy2-1100

The repack packaging brings express shipping to $61.00...chinese slow boat to $28.00

I assume the pricing is an error and KC needs to fix it to $152.99 for all 3?

I seen they had both M&M with Strike Kits as a combo for $129 that blew my mind:ohmy: and of course they are sold out.

8 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Why pay 152.99 when you can pay $190 for less stuff?!  LOL

https://www.kitzconcept.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=126

Vermillion%20Squadron%20Set%20copy2-1100

The repack packaging brings express shipping to $61.00...chinese slow boat to $28.00

I assume the pricing is an error and KC needs to fix it to $152.99 for all 3?

Yeahh seems to be a listing error. In their FB page, they state it as $152 as well. Now is really a good time as any to get a full Vermillion team despite the mold's flaws. Get 3 valks for the price of 1 Threezero!

Edited by MKT

On 8/29/2023 at 10:33 AM, jvmacross said:

Like the new compact packaging...might pickup new Ben and Max VF-1A's if they release them in the new boxes

On 8/29/2023 at 11:02 AM, Spark-O-Matic said:

Well in any business with existing products you make subtle changes, look at any reception then make more from there IMO.

Keep in mind that Eaglemoss did the same thing with some of their lines, especially Star Trek, and it didn't help them survive.

On 8/29/2023 at 11:16 AM, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I was gonna say the same a couple pages ago, but Toynami ships domestically, and affordably. Sadly, the comparison doesn't apply there.

On 8/29/2023 at 11:56 AM, jvmacross said:

KC's VF-1 was already the better figure....but, yeah....even with the minimal accessory count, the new price point makes the Toynami even more over-priced....

https://www.toynamishop.com/macross-saga-retro-transformable-1-100-vf-1j-ichijo-valkyrie/

Too bad KC did not opt to re-release the repacks in Takatoku-style boxes, I may have been blinded by nostalgia again! :p

Again, the shipping disparity nixes that argument on the whole. Plus, Toynami has a habit of doing the opposite - initially issuing bare figures, and then fast pack versions as the standard release.

Agreed, there's no comparison on build quality, but I wouldn't draw comparisons between these as comparable. HMR seems more like a Toynami killer right now with their price drops on the VF-0S in particular, and that at least is a comparable scale.

4 hours ago, Radioguy said:

Keep in mind that Eaglemoss did the same thing with some of their lines, especially Star Trek, and it didn't help them survive.

I was gonna say the same a couple pages ago, but Toynami ships domestically, and affordably. Sadly, the comparison doesn't apply there.

Again, the shipping disparity nixes that argument on the whole. Plus, Toynami has a habit of doing the opposite - initially issuing bare figures, and then fast pack versions as the standard release.

Agreed, there's no comparison on build quality, but I wouldn't draw comparisons between these as comparable. HMR seems more like a Toynami killer right now with their price drops on the VF-0S in particular, and that at least is a comparable scale.

When opening that link, the material quality of the Toynami ones still looks identical to their early 2000s attempts. That cheap semi shiny gummy plastic. 

Edited by Raikkonen

3 hours ago, Radioguy said:

Again, the shipping disparity nixes that argument on the whole. 

The Toynami Retro VF-1J was being sold for $60 plus $12 to ship....so $72 before tax...

The KC VF-1J is being sold for $78 + $14 shipping....$92 total...

A difference of only 20 dollars....too close to say that the price would not impact a collector's decision to buy a Toynami over a KC....and this is ignoring that the KC is clearly superior to the Toynami in practically every way...in short, you arguably get way more for your extra $20 in additional cost for the KC than what you gain by saving $20 by picking up a Toynami VF-1...

If you went for the Vermillion bundle...the individual price for each KC drops to $51 + $10 shipping ....$61 shipped each....that then becomes less than the price of a single 1\100 Toynami....

$20 isn't 20¢. ;)

But I do get your point, at least on the bundle breakdown. Of course, I'd rather own KC over Toynami 1/100. Anyone would.

Shipping aside, Toynami still has the retail channels KC likely never will. You can still go into some comic shops and walk away with a Toynami 1/100 any day of the week. That's something Bandai can start to claim too, and is going after even more. HMR still seems to be Toynami's primary threat on that front.

19 minutes ago, Radioguy said:

$20 isn't 20¢. ;)

But I do get your point, at least on the bundle breakdown. Of course, I'd rather own KC over Toynami 1/100. Anyone would.

Shipping aside, Toynami still has the retail channels KC likely never will. You can still go into some comic shops and walk away with a Toynami 1/100 any day of the week. That's something Bandai can start to claim too, and is going after even more. HMR still seems to be Toynami's primary threat on that front.

LOL...in a hobby that generally occupies the triple digit entry point...not sure anyone is sweating over 20 bucks...

As for finding Toynamis at "comic book shops"...I haven't seen any Macross toynamis locally since the "Masterpiece Collection"...Anyway, in the age of online purchasing...I can't  imagine someone deciding to buy a Toynami over a KC just because they can buy one locally...again...never seen one myself at a local store and I live near a major metro area...

7 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

LOL...in a hobby that generally occupies the triple digit entry point...not sure anyone is sweating over 20 bucks...

As for finding Toynamis at "comic book shops"...I haven't seen any Macross toynamis locally since the "Masterpiece Collection"...Anyway, in the age of online purchasing...I can't  imagine someone deciding to buy a Toynami over a KC just because they can buy one locally...again...never seen one myself at a local store and I live near a major metro area...

Heh. I live IN a major metro area, perhaps the biggest in the US, and I have seen the 1/100s fairly often. Masterpiece too, but only back in the day.

Trust me, folks often go into comic shops and buy stuff they never thought they would. "Wow. I remember Robotech!" and there's a sale. I actually hate that Toynami basically cornered the US brick-and-mortar market for so long. They got Diamond to pick them up, and there you go - available to every comic shop in the nation. All that time I would ask for DX and HMR if I ever went into one, knowing the answer but still having to ask, and be shown Toynami's crap. Now HMR has some foothold, and at least the WWM issues are coming in on the DX end, but Toynami isn't gone...yet.

As for sweating over $20, I wouldn't on a DX. That's ridiculous. For HMR, it's just enough of a consideration these days to at least see who else has the item in stock and for how much. For Toynami...let's say it had better be BOGO for me to even look twice. 😄

Gotta admit though, I'm nowhere near the tax bracket of some of you who army build with HMR and DX. I don't have that much room either. ;)