• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The reason they’re struggling is because the stories they’re showing on film or on the streaming are half-baked.

There are some good ideas buried in there somewhere, but they get mired in dumb and/or repetitive plot contrivances.

Case in point, Secret Invasion needs to stop spamming the “Who did they kill to end the ep on a cliffhanger?” trope.

GOTG3 did well, because it didn’t go with the expected cliches, knows who their characters are at this point, and knows when to be silly and when to hit you with the emotional wallop.

What Disney found out is that writers and actors want a piece of the streaming pie, but the studios want to keep the old, outdated model in place and hide their numbers.

Or just call it by its real name:  greed.

5 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Expect less MARVEL and STAR WARS. I think this is a double edged sword as Disney+ is in desperate need of fresh content but they shouldn't saturate with STAR WARS and Marvel too.

Streaming is not a profitable a business as many studios would have hoped. Disney, like all the other studios, are finding out that it's not enough to have new subscribers coming in, you also have to retain them. And with rising costs, people have had to make cuts. And lets face the facts, streaming subscriptions are luxury cost to us customers. And with rising costs of production, studios have to rein in their spending.

As the saying goes, less is more.

Welp, they opened up the Pandora’s box with streaming.

Yes, the pandemic forced them to utilizing their streaming platforms to release their films.  

So now, it’s hard for them to try to change folks behaviors and essentially tell them, “Hey!  Come out to theaters to watch this!”

For my family of five, that ain’t a cheap proposition anymore.  For most films, I’d rather wait it out and watch from the comfort of home.

But again, quality has always been the big issue.

For Marvel, the other big factor is burnout and fatigue.

46 minutes ago, Mog said:

Welp, they opened up the Pandora’s box with streaming.

Got it in one! Before streaming, it was theaters and broadcast channels that most everyone got with a single monthly bill. Now it's a juggling act between six or eight streamers, finding which ones have something you want to watch and which ones you want to dump from month to month. And from their perspective, rather than just making a show or movie, they now have to support it rather than selling it to someone else to broadcast, all of which takes even more money.

It's here to stay, obviously, but they need to find a better balance.

11 hours ago, Mog said:

For Marvel, the other big factor is burnout and fatigue.

I don’t think that’s the issue. People are cutting back due to poor content. The last few shows were duds. Ms Marvel was a nothing show, She hulk was terrible. I liked Moon Knight, but it was far from perfect, Loki was pretty good, even though I hate the multiverse and not many people could stomach the first few Wandavision episodes. Falcon  and Winter soldier was pretty good and I did like Hawkeye, but definitely not super memorable.

Hawkeye was one of the better ones, with Loki a real close second. Moon Knight and Falcon/WinterSoldier were close runner-ups. Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk were enjoyable, though Ms. Marvel was better as it took itself more seriously. She-hulk broke the fourth wall too much and even used it in the finale, but was still a fun show. WandaVision was intriguing all the way through. It paced itself a little slower, building up the universe Wanda was in. For me, it all lead to a more fulfilling conclusion. though I felt Agatha was merely there to take blame and postpone Wanda's fall to the 'dark side' in Multiverse of Madness by giving her a enemy to fight.

Leaving Ms Marvel and She Hulk out since I didn't even watch them and may never do so - which in and of itself may be an indicator of the problem Disney  is facing (and not because *I* in particular didn't watch them), the other shows were all at least decent and to expect more from every (or even most) of the shows is expecting far too much.  That is the gist of the problem, too little new content and people will unsubscribe due to not having a beneficial cost/ratio while too much content may keep people subscribed but it costs too much to make all that for just a streaming release.

I’ve enjoyed all of the Disney + original series: Loki, Hawkeye, WandaVision, Ms Marvel, Falcon, She-Hulk, Moon Knight…and now Secret Invasion.

But I also get the sunk cost criticism. These streaming shows are expensive to make and with people looking at streaming as more of a luxury, the studios are now having to compete to simply maintain and/or retain their user base. I’m not sure how things statistically can return to a profitable model if they don’t change in some way. That said, I also don’t get the impression, especially with Iger back, that Disney wants to fix streaming in a positive way. Iger seems more intent on doubling down on old business practices and I think it’s too late to go back.

*shrug* Maybe I’ll be surprised and the industry will figure itself out? Who knows…

43 minutes ago, technoblue said:

*shrug* Maybe I’ll be surprised and the industry will figure itself out? Who knows…

TV and movies will not be going away anytime soon, the distribution method may (almost certainly will) change however.  Eventually the new way of doing so profitably (enough) will come along.  Just like it did with the music industry a couple decades ago.  

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Leaving Ms Marvel and She Hulk out since I didn't even watch them and may never do so

You’re better off skipping them. She Hulk was the worst and most annoying of them and just an all around crappy show. And ms Marvel fizzled fast, with a super fluff story. Neither show really gained an audience and it’s a struggle to find anyone that actually bothered watching them

My ranking of the content so far:

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Loki

Moon Knight

Hawkeye

What If?

Secret Invasion

WandaVision

Werewolf By Night

The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special

I Am Groot

Ms. Marvel

She-Hulk

I’m curious how everyone’s opinions/rankings would change if we put the Netflix Marvel shows and the ABC Marvel ones into the mix.

Because I would instantly put Daredevil, Agents of SHIELD, and Punisher Season 1 far above the other Disney Marvel shows.

For me, Jessica Jones Season 1, Luke Cage Season 2, and Iron Fist Season 2 would probably rank equal to the best that Disney Marvel has churned out.

The Disney shows have some interesting and/or fun bits, but many of the series have left me disappointed or were just okay.

Edited by Mog

Wait a minute.. there’s going to be a new Daredevil series? The previous seasons are really the best Marvel series till date, & was quite sad when they previously announced it came to the end of the road.

But now I’m thinking since recent Marvel series are getting progressively worse under Disney, it will be a miracle if this new Daredevil could somehow recapture the quality of its previous seasons.

It makes me nervous when they nerfed Fisk in Hawkeye, use quick cuts for DD’s fight scenes in She-Hulk.

And no word of Foggy Nelson or Karen Page’s actors joining the cast (even though the new show has something like 20 eps.) fills me with apprehension.

If Disney was smart, they would just continue the story they laid out in the Netflix show.  Seriously, an upgraded Bullseye could make for a good starting point.

Oh yes it’s a must for Foggy & Karen to return, even more so with the same cast. The original cast embodied them so well. (Deborah Ann Woll 🥰).

I thought there was so much nuance given to all these characters, and Fisk to me was so much more interesting & menacing villain than a Thanos.

And agreed that Fisk felt off in Hawkeye, though it was great to see Vincent D’Onofrio in that role again. He really made Fisk his own in the whole DD series, much the same way how Heath Ledger did Joker.

3 hours ago, Mog said:

If Disney was smart, they would just continue the story they laid out in the Netflix show.  Seriously, an upgraded Bullseye could make for a good starting point.

I won’t be surprised if Disney tones things down or even outright censors itself, especially with these shows that are directly connected to Disney branding. Netflix isn’t much better now, but they do seem less inclined to censor their own content. For that reason, I’m glad Netflix got the license to produce the Marvel shows it did.

As for rating the shows, I would have a hard time doing that. I like them all for different reasons and think they each have their own strengths. Of the Disney shows, I think Falcon/Winter Soldier comes the closest to matching the in-your-face grit of the Netflix shows, and I was surprised a certain scene made it through editing.

Will Disney’s Daredevil get more scenes with Fisk going full dark like in the Netflix show or will we get more of Hawkeye’s Fisk? That’s a good question and a legitimate concern. I honestly have no idea.

In She Hulk, I think I read they were trying to subvert the super hero show norms. I don’t know how successful they were. I mean, some of it was funny but the story was all over the place at the end and Daredevil came across as a bit hammy. I liked the show the most when it focused on Jennifer Walters trying to assert her own identity, one that accepted the Hulk part, and how her Hulk wasn’t the same as Bruce Banner’s Hulk. 

I’m glad they’re gonna give Daredevil another chance, but it’s not gonna be what it was. I’ve been thinking more and more about getting rid of Disney plus. I should probably try secret invasion, but I only know one person that tried it and they said it wasn’t worth it. Right now I’ve only been watching some of the past content rather than the new since it’s been such a let down. 
Disney needs desperately to hire some great writers to keep their subscribers. They have access to some great franchises, yet over and over again they find a way to botch them. I used to think they were a great option to have with access to movies and shows not only from Disney, but Marvel and Lucasfilm as well. But the recent movie ms and shows have been mostly lame and I’ve lost the excitement I had a couple years ago for the service.

Dumb pet theory:  But I’m guessing they have good FILM writers but not good television/long-series writers.

Why they haven’t bothered to tap Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen to write any of these series is beyond me (other than some dumb lingering MCU-Marvel Television snobbery).

56 minutes ago, Mog said:

Dumb pet theory:  But I’m guessing they have good FILM writers but not good television/long-series writers.

Nope. The films have been lacking a bit as well. Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty good, but other than that the movies haven’t been so great either as far as writing. Disney has been a bit of a let down all around lately. There are a few exceptions here and there, but overall it’s been pretty sad for every franchise attached to Disney 

My updated ranking:

Daredevil

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Loki

The Punisher

Moon Knight

Hawkeye

What If?

Secret Invasion

Jessica Jones

Agent Carter

Legion