All Things Disney Parks - Rides, Merch, News, and everything else

jvmacross

The other potential ride re-theme is the Rock n' Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios....love the ride and Aerosmith...but things do not look good for Aerosmith's frontman these days, which means Disney will likely need to re-theme the ride...

They already did so for it at Disneyland Paris...but would be cool if they could keep it related to another rock band

I was just at the park on Thursday and managed to get on Slinky Dog Dash and Runaway Railway.  The first I was at early opening and the second was a walk on.  After that it was just a thirty minute wait for Rise of the Resistance (great ride).  When I was done with the ride the wait time was up to 90 minutes however.  So it looks like the week AFTER Easter week is a good time to go.

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Briandmd said:

I was a prime sucker, er customer, for that - till I saw the price (and the tacky preview video).  Granted it was going to be a one and done type of stay.  

I'm hoping they do something to make a less expensive attraction out of it.  A hotel with the theming but not the "entertainment" or "story" and which you can stay any number of nights would be interesting for the correct price.  Considering the de-theming they are doing at their other hotels I figure they are going to chalk this up to "people don't want to pay a premium for theming anymore" instead of "way too expensive and tacky".

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

I was a prime sucker, er customer, for that - till I saw the price (and the tacky preview video).  Granted it was going to be a one and done type of stay.  

I'm hoping they do something to make a less expensive attraction out of it.  A hotel with the theming but not the "entertainment" or "story" and which you can stay any number of nights would be interesting for the correct price.  Considering the de-theming they are doing at their other hotels I figure they are going to chalk this up to "people don't want to pay a premium for theming anymore" instead of "way too expensive and tacky".

Well, they should have based it off of one the well loved trilogies (the original or the prequels) versus picking the most divisive one.  It really was poor planning.   If it was original trilogy or prequel trilogy, I would have taken my family but they chose the one that I hated.   It is seems, the Sequel trilogy isn’t the draw they thought it was apparently.

3 hours ago, Briandmd said:

shocking! ^_^

I remember when the rumors first started about a "Star Wars" resort....in hindsight, that's what they should have done.....a Star Wars themed hotel would have been a no-brainer....I can't imagine it just being demolished....maybe they will convert it into the Star Wars resort everyone would have preferred in the first place

Seems like it would be easy to make a more standard SW themed hotel that offers a 'dinner theater' experience that's some combination of Rise of the Resistance, Star Tours, and the cruise idea. Have nine unique dinner theater themes (one for each movie) and you'd be able to convince people to shell out for that premium experience more than once. 

48 minutes ago, jenius said:

Seems like it would be easy to make a more standard SW themed hotel that offers a 'dinner theater' experience that's some combination of Rise of the Resistance, Star Tours, and the cruise idea. Have nine unique dinner theater themes (one for each movie) and you'd be able to convince people to shell out for that premium experience more than once. 

I don't know if I ever would have personally made the investment to attend anything like that, but the thought of being able to have a meal/performance in any of the iconic locations in the movies sounds fantastic.  Just to name a couple.. the celebration banquet on Yavin after the movie, the "dinner" Vader hosted for Han and Leia on Bespin, an Ewok barbeque, heck, even that goofy opera Anakin and Palpatine attended.

There's just such an overflowing amount of potential bursting out of every seam for things like this, it makes it all the more baffling that they couldn't come up with something successful.

5 hours ago, jenius said:

They are going to transform it into a regular theme hotel, minus the 48-hour forced audience participation set pieces.  In the end, it was an ambitious idea that they could not pull off in an economic manner.  Whatever consulting firm sold them on the idea oversold the public's willingness to part with obscene amounts of cash for this type of experience.  I am sure the pandemic did not help either.  It will probably be booked solid until the end of its run as the die hards get it off their bucket lists, then you will be able to stay in the hotel at much more reasonable rates.  @ 100 or so rooms, it will be one of the smaller properties at the site.

23 hours ago, Darth Mingus said:

They are going to transform it into a regular theme hotel, minus the 48-hour forced audience participation set pieces.  In the end, it was an ambitious idea that they could not pull off in an economic manner.  Whatever consulting firm sold them on the idea oversold the public's willingness to part with obscene amounts of cash for this type of experience.  I am sure the pandemic did not help either.  It will probably be booked solid until the end of its run as the die hards get it off their bucket lists, then you will be able to stay in the hotel at much more reasonable rates.  @ 100 or so rooms, it will be one of the smaller properties at the site.

The 100 or so rooms is the killer, even trying to operate it as just a themed hotel will not work with so few rooms.  Something they might be able to do is replace all of the cast intensive intensive parts of the hotel with animatronic or "holographic" projection items.  That would allow charging a premium (not a premium like they were charging) while cutting operating cost.  Have to see what they come up with, they might completely gut it or add another wing or two in order to increase capacity.

On 5/18/2023 at 10:36 PM, jvmacross said:

shocking! ^_^

I remember when the rumors first started about a "Star Wars" resort....in hindsight, that's what they should have done.....a Star Wars themed hotel would have been a no-brainer....I can't imagine it just being demolished....maybe they will convert it into the Star Wars resort everyone would have preferred in the first place

The problem is the hotel is too small for it to the profitable as a resort.   Most likely they will turn it into a resort or add on to it to increase capacity but it is a money loser for sure.   Really all comes down to poor management.

The loss of the Galactic Star Cruiser doesn't surprise me. Their announcement to the project seemed so grandios and destined to either get scrapped or just fail by cutting corners and being cheap. The set designs were dull and not very star wars-ish to me, the cast was bland, the food looked eh, and the price was outrageous....I see it like that scene in the beginning of Jurassic Park where they're all sitting at the table and the lawyer is talking about all the thousands of dollars people will wanna spend to have this experience. But you got Hammond saying he wants this to be open to everyone as it needs to be shared all around, but the lawyer talks about coupon days and all that BS. Something in Disney's mind was thinking like the lawyer. And all of us were Hammond, we'd like to check it out and experience it, but we can't afford it. Which is what's leading to the downfall of this attraction.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone else have a significant other getting really, really, really into that new TCG Lorcana? Holy crap, I haven't done a TCG proper since the original 151 Pokemon, never did YuGiOh or Magic, the hunt for these things is insane. The main street date release is apparently September 1st, but a number of shops got stock early to try and build the community, so frakking much for that. $7 booster packs for $15, starter decks for $30+, luminous troves for $60+, boxes of boosters packs for hundreds, it's some nasty, scalpy business. We managed to go to a shop in Boulder City that sold boosters for retail if you buy at least four, that was nice I guess.... Grabbed one gift set as well above retail, and we got one starter pack for just above retail, which wasn't terrible I suppose. Chain retailers should be getting stock soon, sucks right now, just awful, something fun for families and newbies to TCGs are hyped for this game, shitty resellers and scalpers will ruin it. I went to two of my usual places that sell magic and they're at double, triple retail in some cases, supply and demand, I get it, but gross, it's printed cardboard. 

5 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Anyone else have a significant other getting really, really, really into that new TCG Lorcana? Holy crap, I haven't done a TCG proper since the original 151 Pokemon, never did YuGiOh or Magic, the hunt for these things is insane. The main street date release is apparently September 1st, but a number of shops got stock early to try and build the community, so frakking much for that. $7 booster packs for $15, starter decks for $30+, luminous troves for $60+, boxes of boosters packs for hundreds, it's some nasty, scalpy business. We managed to go to a shop in Boulder City that sold boosters for retail if you buy at least four, that was nice I guess.... Grabbed one gift set as well above retail, and we got one starter pack for just above retail, which wasn't terrible I suppose. Chain retailers should be getting stock soon, sucks right now, just awful, something fun for families and newbies to TCGs are hyped for this game, shitty resellers and scalpers will ruin it. I went to two of my usual places that sell magic and they're at double, triple retail in some cases, supply and demand, I get it, but gross, it's printed cardboard. 

I had to lookup what TCG Lorcana was...lol

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

I had to lookup what TCG Lorcana was...lol

Oh yea, lol, it's the new competitive trading card game Disney put out, similar to Magic, Pokemon or YuGiOh. Just barely released the early access cards, full release is September 1, it's getting scalped, like all fun things. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 12:45 PM, jvmacross said:

The other potential ride re-theme is the Rock n' Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios....love the ride and Aerosmith...but things do not look good for Aerosmith's frontman these days, which means Disney will likely need to re-theme the ride...

They already did so for it at Disneyland Paris...but would be cool if they could keep it related to another rock band

Tyler kind of still looks great for his age, and Joe still rocking the shirtless on stage. I've met  Exene of X. She looks like a hundred years old.

Edited by Swann
word

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2023 at 5:24 AM, Swann said:

Here is some very vintage Disney stuff I have. The first pressing of Haunted Mansion (mono version) record and postcard booklet.

HAUNT1.jpg

HAUNTPC1.jpg

HAUNTPC2.jpg

HAUNTPC3.jpg

Nice....The Haunted Mansion is my other obsession....and Nightmare Before Christmas.....so it's cool that both get mashed together during this time of the year....

Here is one of the very first collectibles from the very first Haunted Mansion Holiday from 2001.....

Haunted Mansion Holiday Tarot Cards....

These tarot cards are seen "floating" inside Madame Leaota's seance room during the NBX takeover of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion....

large.20231114_213758.jpg.ee0c9e488a9672

large.20231114_213812.jpg.b4a4376959e228

large.20231114_214216.jpg.8c641911cf215d

large.20231114_214303.jpg.5cc5a7be327690

large.20231114_214316.jpg.812d0626ed3162

large.20231114_214330.jpg.d0be544bb4e78a

large.20231114_214342.jpg.bd2b70107b3243

large.20231114_214357.jpg.2d135192ee4d4a

large.20231114_214412.jpg.675d75eabe9494

large.20231114_214425.jpg.591e45f633072c

large.20231114_214436.jpg.c816fa9650fbab

large.20231114_214448.jpg.df78f48b2c7612

large.20231114_214507.jpg.d936b0904027cd

large.20231114_214521.jpg.99c7a7911cfd42

large.20231114_214537.jpg.df0721915fbee8

large.20231114_214549.jpg.9b3f525d5ec771

Edited by jvmacross

Another piece of Haunted Mansion Holiday merch...this one is a miniature of the one that hangs in the hall of changing portraits during the Haunted Mansion NBX makeover that occurs yearly at Disneyland from October through December since 2001...

large.20231114_214650.jpg.d70f9ec8eae409

large.20231114_214703.jpg.bdcd7cb5c3b3eb

Edited by jvmacross

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jvmacross said:

They just need to bring over the Haunted Mansion Holiday and I can cross off Disneyland, CA from my to-do list....

That and the holiday overlay for It's a Small World.  Small World is actually enjoyable with the decorations.  I feel that DL does a much better job of decorating for the holidays then DW has done.

Edited by Dynaman

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Now they need to get rid of park reservations...

For most people they are already gone.  Only passholders have to deal with it anymore and I think even for them it will be gone by the end of the year, either by "good to go days" being nearly all the time or just outright going away - but Disney seems intent on making things more complicated then necessary.  As for why by the end of the year?  That little construction project a competitor is finishing up in 2025 - when Disney doesn't have anything new in the pipeline (only new stuff they have had the past few years was due to being WAY behind schedule on Tron and Guardians,  all they have in the pipeline now is reskinning existing attractions).