1/1 DYRL Helmet

one_klump

Yup. But we've known about this little puppy for more than a couple of months.

It's very cool but also very, very, expensive. I don't see too many of these helmets and flight armor's selling.

158,000 Yen for the Helmet = $1,478.57

238,000 Yen for the Flight Suit = $2,227.21

Ouch.

yeah come back when you find a pic of a Millia cosplayer with one of those baby on... yummy!!!!

:p  :lol:  :p

i dont think theres enough chest room for a millia cosplayer to put it on.

it's not adjustable??? :blink:<_>

If anyone can confirm... I would like to be kept, um... abreast!

[comic book guy voice]

"Ahem! This product is obviously flawed as it is a size medium and is common knowledge that most Macross fans are sizes large to extra large!"

[/comic book guy voice]

Seriously though, this thing is most likely made for Japanese fans who are of smaller stature and helmet size than us super size gaijin fanboys. I'm a fairly tall (6'), fairly lanky medium sized (190 lbs) american but compared to most Japanese I might as well play for the Lakers... Wouldn't it just piss you off to spend two grand on something only to discover it only comes in small, extra small and over the rainbow sizes? I have yet to see a pic of those things next to an actual person to boot so for all we know that thing could only fit on Kate Moss or my cat.

:ph34r:

I don't think, or I hope that American fans are going to buy this to actually wear. That's why I would hope to only see it only on petite cosplay girls.

But what's even more intriguing is that a Js has a cat that has a similar bodytype as Kate Moss. So, please, oh branded one, NO PICTURES!!!

:p

Wouldn't it just piss you off to spend two grand on something only to discover it only comes in small, extra small and over the rainbow sizes? I have yet to see a pic of those things next to an actual person to boot so for all we know that thing could only fit on Kate Moss or my cat.

Hey, you could always give it to your kids if you have any, or your 15 year old (insert relation here).

It's the same thing as the uniforms that HLJ is now selling, their XL is probably about the size of a normal medium.

But, as Mike Meyers put it along time ago in an SNL skit.

Ahh, Americans ah fat and a razy!

It's very cool but also very, very, expensive. I don't see too many of these helmets and flight armor's selling.

158,000 Yen for the Helmet = $1,478.57

238,000 Yen for the Flight Suit = $2,227.21

Ouch.

It these were made for display only, then the prices are a grip. If the quality is actually up to professional use levels, meaning in the same class as racing grade snell 2000 + auto/moto sports helmets, then the prices are absolutely worth it for the custom looks and usability.

Size will be a problem for many.

I paid €352,- for my motorcycle helmet

(ofcourse my helmet is a mass-produced shell with quantities up there in the 10k's,

qualified to US and EC safety standards)

€1200,- for that Yamato helmet? ....Sorry, No!

that doesn't mean the Yamato helmet isn't something I don't want to have

It's something I just can't justify to afford :(

The helmet is not certified for road use. It's a display/cosplay item only.

Graham

That's the thing, it's meant for display and cosplay use, but it costs so freaking much. I can believe there's a small number of Macross Otaku in Japan that would shell out for one, but I just don't see this one being a hit with the overseas fans. Not for that much money. I really don't see it being a big seller overall, even in Japan. It's a niche item for rich geeks, and rich anime geeks are not in big supply.

Where is the cost coming from? I just can't see it. I've seen costume/display helmets like this from other sci-fi/fantasy franchises for much less money, as low as the 40 dollar range, while still looking good.

Ok....so after all the profits made with the 1/60 and 1/48 lines they decide to produce a useless 1/1 unbelievably expensive DYRL helmet ? ARE THEY NUTS OR WHAT ?

Does Yamato seriously think macross fanboys have reached that level of...for lack of a better word...stupidity to spend THAT much on a display piece ?

I know some guys here are creazy enough to spend $400+ onmultiple toys of the same variant for their 1/48 collection (VFs & FP & more VFs for customs ) but I doubt there´ll be any market for this monstruosity , yeah it looks cool and all , but not cool enough that it should cost $1000+...unless the visor actually displays combat info in real time and it retracts inside the helmet and stuff like that.

Edited by Aegis!

I know some people who are buying it. Its worth it I think. Think of how rare this piece will be cause not too many can afford it and I think it is done per order. Rather than mass produced they make a small limited amount. I think thats why they did a Mail order so they have an idea of how many to make.

I also don't understand Yamato's reasoning behind making this helmet either.

I mean I'm a big Macross fan (obviously), but even if I was rolling in money (which I'm not at the moment), I'd think twice before buying this. I mean sure it looks nice an all, but even as a display item, it takes up a lot of space and I'm just not geeky (or brave) enough to ever want to wear it outside the privacy of my home.

I keep on telling Yamato to make more different VF toys. I mean there are lots of Macross fans who whould love to buy a transforming VF-4, VF-17 or even some of the more obscure VFs like the VF-5000 or even the Varuta variable mecha, but do they listen.........heck do they :angry:

Well for those of you who are planning on buying the helmet (somebody.......anybody?), I have been told that it is very high quality (whatever that means).

Graham

I keep on telling Yamato to make more different VF toys. I mean there are lots of Macross fans who whould love to buy a transforming VF-4, VF-17 or even some of the more obscure VFs like the VF-5000 or even the Varuta variable mecha, but do they listen.........heck do they  :angry:

Hey Graham. I've always wondered how Yamato decides WHAT Macross merchandise is produced. Is it as simple as spin the bottle or pin a tail on the donkey? Do they usually listen to your feedback (and the other Macross fans domestically and internationally)?

Who's the genius that decided to produce the VF-1 helmets?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 1/48 VF-4 Thunderbolt. Does Yamato know how much $$$ they're passing up by NOT having that released. :lol::blink:

If it were a tenth of the price I might think about getting one, but I am having enough trouble coming up with the money for a 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru. Yamato gets an A+ for the idea and an F- for the execution. The price is beyond ridiculous for what you are getting. Granted it looks like a gorgeous helmet, but how many times have we all heard people here complain about Yamato Quality Control? Could you imagine the complaints after someone drops the couple of thousand dollars for this and the paint job isn't perfect? Or perhaps one of the hoses is loose or not quite the right color?

Well look on the bright side, perhaps the bootleggers will get a hold of this one. :rolleyes:

IMO, Yamato can do anything they want with the Macross license. It's better than NOT producing anything. Look at all the other great anime franchise just sitting there with no merch. Especially some that go as far back as Macross.

LOL, if they could get a Snell rating, that'd make one sweet a$$ karting/racing helmet.  :p

I'd wear one on a motorcycle if it was in the $400-500 range. Probably not the shoulder pads/armor though. ;)

Edited by Uxi

LOL, if they could get a Snell rating, that'd make one sweet a$$ karting/racing helmet.   :p

I'd wear one on a motorcycle if it was in the $400-500 range. Probably not the shoulder pads/armor though. ;)

I only mentioned that to see if the cost is justified. A nice helmet from Arai costs around 500-600 for their low end models. The top of line versions with air inlets, in helmet mike attachements and etc... cost over $1200 USD so the cost of these helmets would be worth it for limited production item. A snell rating would be cool to have though.

Since its for display and cosplay only, the price is too high personally. However, think how much those old stormtrooper helmets and armor cost way back in the days when they were garage kits. For a professionally made item, it is about inline with pricing.

I don't think, or I hope that American fans are going to buy this to actually wear.  That's why I would hope to only see it only on petite cosplay girls.

hmm.. I see a new Macross pick-up line: "Do you mind putting this on for me? You see, it's too big to fit on me.." :lol:

I'd pay $1000 for a 1:1 Roy TV version helmet.  So I could set it on my coffee table like Hikaru.  :)

I know what Yamato will sell next year -- a genuine Hikaru coffee table! Minmay photo book comes separately. :D

I only mentioned that to see if the cost is justified. A nice helmet from Arai costs around 500-600 for their low end models. The top of line versions with air inlets, in helmet mike attachements and etc... cost over $1200 USD so the cost of these helmets would be worth it for limited production item. A snell rating would be cool to have though.

any helmet from Arai is overpriced

even €80,- helmets pass standard safetylaws and after €400,- it's just luxury and paintjob you're paying for

anything past €600,- is just crazy

the Yamato helmet may be limited, but there are no safety tests needed nor does it have any luxury

Only cost has been the design and the liscense

So unless it has a Kevlar shell, anti fog/scratch visor, onboard Dolbi Pro-logic I see no reason for it to cost past €1000,-

I think it should be borne in mind that this is probably a prestige item for the Japanese domestic market. Bandai sells Gundam guitars, there are 1/1 scale anime character dolls, and cos-play is a pretty good market in Japan - you can buy complete outfits if you want, and they're not exactly cheap either... frankly, I don't think Yamato are considering the international market at all with this one.

I have TWO heads and that helmet would only fit ONE of them...

Good thing it's the one between my shoulders. :p

Seriously, I don't know why Yamato would make such a thing. Were it rated for vehicular use, had an integrated cooling system, an integrated Sirius satellite radio system, an integrated full-featured GPS, a HUD on the visor linked to all of it, was voice command enabled (channel up, volume down, 100Hz +5db, temp 72, humidity 15, find next exit for Dairy Queen) and I could find a Yamaha YZF-R1 with a matching paint scheme... THEN it might be time for me to break the bank. Of course, at the price they're charging I also expect it to be custom tailored to my personal dimensions. Otherwise, I have no use for it.

Now here's my own little "theory." With a live action Transformers movie in the works and around the corner, could it be that Macross is to be given similar treatment? Is Yamato making these FOR somebody? Perhaps they are samples for a team of folks trying to convince a production company somewhere to fund their "idea." Could we possibly see Keira Knightly dawn green hair and a Yammie 1/1 suit to cosplay as the lovely Milia? Would she then be the absolute baddest cosplay chick of all time? Hrrmmm...