1/1 DYRL Helmet

one_klump

Where is the cost coming from? I just can't see it. I've seen costume/display helmets like this from other sci-fi/fantasy franchises for much less money, as low as the 40 dollar range, while still looking good.

As with all things in a free market, the price isn't influenced (solely) by manufacturing costs. But, rather, how much the market is willing to pay.

Yamato (like any other manufacturer) has factored in demand against various price points until they reached a sweet spot where profit will be maximized (they hope).

You can disagree with that determination. But just pointing to its "cost" isn't indicative of price.

If they make only 500 and sell them for $1,000 each, that makes more money ($500,000) then selling 12,000 at $40.

I trust that Yamato has done their homework on something like this.

H

I also don't understand Yamato's reasoning behind making this helmet either.

I mean I'm a big Macross fan (obviously), but even if I was rolling in money (which I'm not at the moment), I'd think twice before buying this. I mean sure it looks nice an all, but even as a display item, it takes up a lot of space and I'm just not geeky (or brave) enough to ever want to wear it outside the privacy of my home.

I keep on telling Yamato to make more different VF toys. I mean there are lots of Macross fans who whould love to buy a transforming VF-4, VF-17 or even some of the more obscure VFs like the VF-5000 or even the Varuta variable mecha, but do they listen.........heck do they :angry:

Well for those of you who are planning on buying the helmet (somebody.......anybody?), I have been told that it is very high quality (whatever that means).

Graham

Amen brother , Amen. :(

I don´t think Yamato will be able to attract any more consumers for the next 2 terms if they just keep spewing more VF-1 variants. They´ve certainly done an excellent job with both VF-1 lines but damn ...isn´t it ENOUGH already ? of course there´s still a few more variants that should be released in the 1/48 line (i.e. M&Ms , GBP , CF ) but couldn´t Yamato just start announcing new valks ?

I meaan , is there anything NEW in the horizon after the YF-19FP , Q-rau and Monster ? not that we know of.

M0 toys is still pretty much a rumour , M7 is a no-no because Bandai doesn´t want to give up on this comatose license and Yamato has no apparent interest in exploiting their game licenses (only VF-19A so far ) , so what do we have to look out for in the next 2-3 years ? nothing...

unless...

Yamato decides to exploit their VF-X2 license , hey , they could release a VF-19 (which is just a repaint of the M7 variants such as the VF-19P Zolan varaint ...and no word from Bandai there :rolleyes:) , why couldn´t they release a VF-17 or a VF-5000B ? what about the VF-4 ?

What about Macross M3 ? Variable Glaugs anyone ? some said VF-14 in the back there ? VF-9 maybe ?

Hell , why not Macross Plus Game Edition then ? they could easily release a highly detailed Ghost X-9 or a Neo Glaug , maybe a VF-5000B.

and finally...what will happen once Banday´s M7 license expires ? will Yamato take the chance ? could BW grant the M7 license to Yamato even if Bandai has a hold on it as well (haven´t seen any problem for Yamato to produce VF-1 toys even though Bandai also holds a SDF Macross license :huh: ) ? seeing there are so many companies nowadays that release SDF Macross toys ( Kaiyodo & Movic , banpresto , Bandai , Yamato) , all of which have recieved their license from BW , why couldn´t Yamato have a M7 liecense ? is Bandai license exclusive or what ?

This probably sounds like a rant but believe me , it isn´t , I´m happy for what I currently have and can buy and I´m willing to wait for anything new , but seriously , Yamato needs to make new stuff (new stuff as in prequel and sequel VF variants ) after they´re done with the 1/48s instead of using all their financial and manufacturing resources to make incredibly expensive and ridiculously useless 1/1 helmets that only 20 peaple in the whole world will ever buy <_<

[comic book guy voice]

"Ahem! This product is obviously flawed as it is a size medium and is common knowledge that most Macross fans are sizes large to extra large!"

[/comic book guy voice]

[sarcastic guy] Whoa, whoa there. A fat, sarcastic Macross fan. You must be a whiz with the ladies. [/sarcastic guy]

I'm sorry, but for that price it'd have to include a private "performance" by Mari Ijima. But that said, it'd be a cool helmet to wear if I was to ever road race my 'Stang.

LOL, if they could get a Snell rating, that'd make one sweet a$$ karting/racing helmet.   :p

I'd wear one on a motorcycle if it was in the $400-500 range. Probably not the shoulder pads/armor though. ;)

I only mentioned that to see if the cost is justified. A nice helmet from Arai costs around 500-600 for their low end models. The top of line versions with air inlets, in helmet mike attachements and etc... cost over $1200 USD so the cost of these helmets would be worth it for limited production item. A snell rating would be cool to have though.

Since its for display and cosplay only, the price is too high personally. However, think how much those old stormtrooper helmets and armor cost way back in the days when they were garage kits. For a professionally made item, it is about inline with pricing.

As I had said before its mass production versus special orders. Arai make thousands of helmets a year. So mass production is easier. Your initial investement and materials cost is spread thru the amount of helmets you make. Here they probably wont even make more than 100 helmets (yamato I mean)

LOL, if they could get a Snell rating, that'd make one sweet a$$ karting/racing helmet.   :p

I'd wear one on a motorcycle if it was in the $400-500 range. Probably not the shoulder pads/armor though. ;)

I only mentioned that to see if the cost is justified. A nice helmet from Arai costs around 500-600 for their low end models. The top of line versions with air inlets, in helmet mike attachements and etc... cost over $1200 USD so the cost of these helmets would be worth it for limited production item. A snell rating would be cool to have though.

Since its for display and cosplay only, the price is too high personally. However, think how much those old stormtrooper helmets and armor cost way back in the days when they were garage kits. For a professionally made item, it is about inline with pricing.

As I had said before its mass production versus special orders. Arai make thousands of helmets a year. So mass production is easier. Your initial investement and materials cost is spread thru the amount of helmets you make. Here they probably wont even make more than 100 helmets (yamato I mean)

Not at $1500 USD a piece. But they would sell a couple of thousand if the price was lower. I don't know what their reasoning is but I doubt it's meeting a demand more or less than a 100 pieces.

Granted it looks like a gorgeous helmet, but how many times have we all heard people here complain about Yamato Quality Control? Could you imagine the complaints after someone drops the couple of thousand dollars for this and the paint job isn't perfect? Or perhaps one of the hoses is loose or not quite the right color?

AFAIK, the helmets are being manufactured in Japan, so quality control concerns should be less of an issue than with the toys, which are made in China.

Graham

AFAIK, the helmets are being manufactured in Japan, so quality control concerns should be less of an issue than with the toys, which are made in China.

Graham

In that case, I guess we should be glad that the rest of the toys aren't made in Japan. I guess if they were a 1/48 would cost about $500?

Graham

In that case, I guess we should be glad that the rest of the toys aren't made in Japan. I guess if they were a 1/48 would cost about $500?

BS

look at Korean guitars vs Japanese

Yes Japan (normally) has higher quality, but not neccesarily higher price

(I'm talking same liscense/brand here not Samick Korea vs Fender Japan)

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the cost coming from? I just can't see it. I've seen costume/display helmets like this from other sci-fi/fantasy franchises for much less money, as low as the 40 dollar range, while still looking good.

Agreed, perhaps 300 to 500 for the whole set as long as it was high quality, but not over 3000 dollars!

Edited by GobotFool

Agreed, perhaps 300 to 500 for the whole set as long as it was high quality, but not over 3000 dollars!

I'd rather use that 3000+ dollars for paying of my student loan.