• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

Original and updated X-Men covers.

Huh.  Kinda prefer the old one.  It has more of a penciled look.  The new one looks like too much work was done on computers, and winds up kind of cartoony.

Speaking of cartoons... really looking forward to the X-Men '97 cartoon on Disney+.  As a kid and teenager I loved the X-Men, and I consider the period from the mid '80s to the late '90s to be peak X-Men.  Things started going downhill around Onslaught, but I stuck it out for awhile (and I did enjoy a few stories like House of M), but X-Men and related books became basically unreadable to me since Messiah Complex.

9 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

The new one looks like too much work was done on computers, and winds up kind of cartoony.

I think that was the point

10 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

As a kid and teenager I loved the X-Men, and I consider the period from the mid '80s to the late '90s to be peak X-Men.

For me it was up til early 90’s. I personally couldn’t afford all the constant crossovers and pretty much all the talent left to form image. When I thought about getting back into it when I got my first job in the late 90’s the look was totally off putting to me and I never got back into reading them

15 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Huh.  Kinda prefer the old one.  It has more of a penciled look.  The new one looks like too much work was done on computers, and winds up kind of cartoony.

Speaking of cartoons... really looking forward to the X-Men '97 cartoon on Disney+.  As a kid and teenager I loved the X-Men, and I consider the period from the mid '80s to the late '90s to be peak X-Men.  Things started going downhill around Onslaught, but I stuck it out for awhile (and I did enjoy a few stories like House of M), but X-Men and related books became basically unreadable to me since Messiah Complex.

Except for the cheek bones on Cyke being kinda goofy the original is FAR superior to the new one.

I think the animation on the new show looks absolutely terrible too.

15 hours ago, Big s said:

For me it was up til early 90’s. I personally couldn’t afford all the constant crossovers and pretty much all the talent left to form image. When I thought about getting back into it when I got my first job in the late 90’s the look was totally off putting to me and I never got back into reading them

The art itself was good too but once they cut Claremont and installed Lee, etc... as the eriters the stories went to garbage and there was no direction.  I blame them for the downslide of the X-Men up to and including today.  X-Men #1 and on there was zero plan and less and less real substance.

16 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Same.  I'm also looking forward to the new cartoon.  I also loved the X-Men comics that I grew up with in the 80's and 90's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

DC Versus Marvel Omnibus HC Direct Market Exclusive Jim Lee & Scott Williams Wraparound Variant Cover

439599483_1423682248301878_2414838036774588542_n.jpg.a8b8e05d78c6f6223ea405b36d097bd5.jpg

Written by Gerry Conway, Jim Shooter, Len Wein, Chris Claremont, Dennis O'Neil, J.M. DeMatteis, Ron Marz, John Byrne and Others
Art by Ross Andru, John Buscema, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Walter Simonson, Barry Kitson, John Byrne, and Others

August 2024 Release. US$150.00

In 1976, the Big Two in comics made pop culture history by pitting their most popular heroes--Superman and the Amazing Spider-Man--against each other! The success of this one-shot comic paved the way for future collaborations between the House of Ideas and the Distinguished Competition, ushering in a new age of inter-company crossover events that boasted some of the industry's biggest writers and artists.

Now, for the first time in over 20 years, the comics that started it all will be collected in a brand-new omnibus edition featuring the classic DC Universe and Marvel team-up stories from Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man #1, Marvel Treasury Edition #28, DC Special Series #27, Marvel and DC Comics Presents Featuring the Uncanny X-Men and the New Teen Titans #1, Batman/Punisher: Lake of Fire #1, Punisher/Batman: Deadly Knights #1, Darkseid Vs. Galactus: The Hunger #1, Spider-Man and Batman #1, Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances #1, Silver Surfer/Superman #1, Batman & Captain America #1, Daredevil and Batman #1, Batman & Spider-Man #1, Superman/Fantastic Four #1, The Incredible Hulk vs. Superman #1, and Batman/Daredevil: King of New York #1.

This volume also includes essays from the original creative team, an introduction from former DC Comics president Paul Levitz, afterwords by writer Ron Marz and Marvel executive editor Tom Brevoort, and more!

DC Marvel The Amalgam Age Omnibus HC Direct Market Exclusive Jim Lee & Scott Williams Wraparound Variant Cover

440539981_808204564533380_4019883763172779129_n.jpg.f6e1a25a07d8b040e4ac84f58acc9f25.jpg

Written by Ron Marz, Peter David, Karl Kesel, and Others
Art by Dan Jurgens, Claudio Castellini, and Others

Pitting their world's greatest superheroes against each other, only the winning universe will be allowed to live! And the loser...will cease to exist. Superman versus the Hulk! Batman versus Captain America! Wolverine versus Lobo!

Fighting against the clock, Access, a new hero traversing both worlds, will attempt victory through another means: The combination of DC and Marvel into one universe! The Amalgam age of comics is born! Batman and Wolverine become Dark Claw! Captain America and Superman become Super Soldier! Wonder Woman and Storm become Amazon! But will the existence of Amalgam prolong the inevitable demise of DC or Marvel? Will the Amalgam Universe fight back when Access attempts to return the universes to their former glory?

This once-in-a-lifetime event is finally collected in a once-in-a-lifetime Omnibus! Featuring DC Versus Marvel #1-4, the DC/Marvel: All-Access #1-4, Unlimited Access #1-4, Amazon #1, Assassins #1, Bat-Thing #1, Bruce Wayne: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1, Bullets and Bracelets #1, Challengers of the Fantastic #1, Dark Claw Adventures #1, Doctor Strangefate #1, Exciting X-Patrol #1, Generation Hex #1, Iron Lantern #1, JLX Unleashed #1, Legend of the Dark Claw #1, Lobo the Duck #1, The Magnetic Men Featuring Magneto #1, Speed Demon #1, Spider-Boy #1, Spider-Boy Team-Up #1, Super Soldier #1, Super Soldier: Man of War #1, Thorion of the New Asgods #1, X-Patrol #1, and a story from Green Lantern #87.

Includes introductions by Ron Marz and Karl Kesel, new afterwords by Mike Carlin and Tom Breevort, the trading cards, and a tome of never-before-seen material!

for fans of the og Marcel run of G.I. Joe A Real American Hero (and for new ones) Skybound is doing a new Kickstarter soon special compendium sets:

https://www.skybound.com/announcements/g-i-joe/announcing-g-i-joe-a-real-american-hero-compendium-set-kickstarter

Edited by obakesan

I realise I'm a touch biased, but it does sometimes feel like the European "G.I. Joe" comics - branded "Action Force" to start with, as the toyline was initially released under that title for some time here before the branding was unified - gets a little overlooked in discussions of the comics (the UK "Transformers" stories seem to be better known). I know they were released as the "European Missions" or something at least once. It'd probably be a complicated rights issue, but don't you want to see the time G.I. Jo... I mean, Action Force had to deal with Richard Branson dredging up Megatron from the Thames again? 😄

4 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

I realise I'm a touch biased, but it does sometimes feel like the European "G.I. Joe" comics - branded "Action Force" to start with, as the toyline was initially released under that title for some time here before the branding was unified - gets a little overlooked in discussions of the comics (the UK "Transformers" stories seem to be better known). I know they were released as the "European Missions" or something at least once. It'd probably be a complicated rights issue, but don't you want to see the time G.I. Jo... I mean, Action Force had to deal with Richard Branson dredging up Megatron from the Thames again? 😄

Not gonna lie, I barely found out about action force a couple years ago. I don’t know why it never dawned on me that people would change a franchise that was so overly American to fit their own culture. I mean I come from a Macross fandom and changes to fit another part of the world should have been expected. 

The company that produced "Action Force", Palitoy, had a long history of doing just that. The 12" "G.I. Joe" figures had a longer life in the UK under the "Action Man" brand (and also partly, I suspect, because World War II history here is kind of like of trying to avoid footbal... excuse me, soccer here; no matter how much you may not like it, its inescapable pretty much all year round). "Action Force" was a spin off into the popular "Star Wars" smaller figure format (which Palitoy also adapted for the UK market, the two most famous examples probably being their version of the X-Wing and the Death Star), and then they started more directly bringing over Hasbro figures though with some changes (it seems to be generally regarded that the "Action Force" APC is a better toy than the "G.I. Joe" original). For further coverage of Palitoy , the "Analog Toys" YouTube channel has plenty of videos covering them.