Ridley Scott to direct the next Alien film?

Jolly Rogers

This is older news, but yes the original Alien director is considering going back into the franchise he created. I'm unsure how to view this news, but if anyone can pull it off, it'll be Scott. He has stated that he'd take a very liberal approach with the series, doing things as he see's fit and not adhering to any continuity created by the other films.

That's pretty good news if it's true. Ridley Scott is still a good director IMO. He certainly has more hits than misses.

As good a job as Cameron did on Aliens, what is it 18 years ago? He's not the same director that he was back then and with his current fetish for all things aquatic, he'd probably make the movie about freediving Aliens searching for a sunken cruise liner or some such nonsense.

IMO Cameron is a bit like John Carpenter, great in his prime, but well past it now.

Graham

BUMMER? I think he should direct every movie ever made!

After watching the Director's Cut Aliens on the big screen, I was able to appreciate it more. The atmosphere and dialogue was a lot more realistic. Aliens has been my favorite movie for a long time due to combined elements. The mechs, the robot, the marines. But directorial-wise Alien was just that much better. And it seemed like Ridley Scott has really honed his storytelling skills. He's a far cry from Bladerunner with Gladiator and Black Hawk Down. Bladerunner, also one of my favorites, kinda lagged a bit, but his pacing has jumped pretty far since.

Anyway, I'm still gonna take this with a grain of salt. Sigourney Weaver has been trying to get him to direct the film for a while now. Though he stated he was interested he never actually agreed. Besides, the first thing I would wish he threw out would be Ripley. She's old news.

and maybe he can make the last two films in the series disappear.  ;)

Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. :lol::lol::lol:

Oh come one, SOMEONE had to say it. :p

That was brilliant :)

I concur.

I'm going to have to agree with Graham about Cameron. Unless Ripley meets a stowaway(Alien) aboard the space-ship and falls in love with him after it draws her naked.

Bah Aliens is way overrated. Boy scouts had better grasp of tactics than those aliens. Current US Marines would do better than those undisciplined Colonial jokers. ;)

Go AvP. Just change everything I've heard bout it so far. :lol: Still should hopefully be some eye candy of Predators killing Aliens and a minimum on that blasted dialogue. A cameo by "Dutch" da'Governator would be nice, too.

Ridley Scott said on his commentary for the Alien DVD a couple years ago he would like to direct another Alien movie. His brief idea he mentioned for it would be to "...go back to the Alien homeworld".

Ridley Scott is the only director I would want to see in charge of that. He is the best director of the Alien series; he would know how to bring the fear back to the Alien. We have all seen what it looks like, how it fights blah blah blah. It's time to bring something new to it, and he could do it.

I can't wait for the new Alien hit..... Aliens Vs Predators Vs Jason Vs Gemlins Vs Creatures.  :lol:  :p  :D

or Alien vs Terminator vs Robocop vs Superman

Ugh.... There actually was a Terminator vs Superman comic, as well as a Superman vs Alien comic. Whoever came up with the idea of taking utterly unrelated franchises and crossing them over deserves to be shot.

Edited by GobotFool

Bah Aliens is way overrated. Boy scouts had better grasp of tactics than those aliens. Current US Marines would do better than those undisciplined Colonial jokers. ;)

One for the Sci-Fi Cliches list, actually:

"Elite, heavily armed soldiers who appear at the start of a movie will all be toast by the end." :lol:

Aliens vs Hannibal?!

theres also a batman vs predator...

they should make a movie thats just a giant free-for-all of every superhero/supervillian/creature ever conceived bes something like batman vs alien vs superman vs godzilla vs the hulk vs terminator vs mothra vs spiderman vs starship troopers bugs vs x-men vs independence day aliens etc.

Boy scouts had better grasp of tactics than those aliens

What tactics? Did you miss the part about Aliens being bugs with a Hive mentality? <_<

Oops. :lol: I meant boy scouts having better tactics than the Colonial Marines, not the Aliens. B))

The Aliens tactics were ok... kinda like Chinese human waves mixed in with a little concealment and crawling on the ceilings. Definately different but nothing sophisticated. Those things (at least as seen during Aliens) look pretty easy to lure into an ambush.

Boy scouts had better grasp of tactics than those aliens

What tactics? Did you miss the part about Aliens being bugs with a Hive mentality? <_<

Oops. :lol: I meant boy scouts having better tactics than the Colonial Marines, not the Aliens. B))

The Aliens tactics were ok... kinda like Chinese human waves mixed in with a little concealment and crawling on the ceilings. Definately different but nothing sophisticated. Those things (at least as seen during Aliens) look pretty easy to lure into an ambush.

Sure. Its not like any of those colonial marines were expecting evil, super buff insect from another planet with plans on turning them into eggsacks or anything. :lol:

I've heard this before. I don't know what Scott's current take on the project is, but I know he's already got a full slate ahead of him. But why, oh why are they so insistent on bringing back Ripley yet again? Fox really needs to wrap their heads around the notion that the ALIENS are the stars of this franchise, not Ripley.

Ridley Scott is about 50 times the director that Cameron ever was.

I'd take a new Alien flick with him calling the shots over a lukewarm Cameron cuddly-action flick any day of the week. At least Ridley would take a few risks. Cameron would repeat what already worked once, add more "heartwarming" scenes, and quadruple the effects budget. Then he'd never actually make the film (See True Lies 2, T3, etc...)

Cameron had a great run, but he's gone schmaltzy... hell, he doesn't even really make movies anymore, he just puts out IMAX crap and Dark Angel.

Ridley, on the other hand, created the Alien success with the first film, then went on to direct Gladiator, Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down, hell - even Thelma & Louise. He can do anything and usually tries to.

Either way, it's all poo. This is just fanboy rumor crap - chances are that nothing as good as Alien or Aliens will ever happen to the franchise ever again.

Either way, it's all poo. This is just fanboy rumor crap - chances are that nothing as good as Alien or Aliens will ever happen to the franchise ever again.

Actually, there is truth to what he posted. Both Cameron and Scott talked about revisiting the Aliens franchise, but Fox is intent on going forward with Aliens VS Predator. Neither director currently has any plans on doing another Alien movie, nor is it being discussed anymore.

On a slightly related topic, ignfilmforce.com has the first part of an interview with hack director Paul Anderson, from the set of AVP.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/446/446412p1.html

Fans of HR Gieger will no doubt be miffed when they read the part where he credits Ron Cobb for the design of the unused Alien pyramid and the infamous "hieroglyphic." Be warned.