Saw it in Hong Kong last night. It's an okay film, not great, but not bad either. I enjoyed Pacific Rim a lot more. Though gotta admit that Hugh Jackman's physique looks really nice. Can Agent One explain how to achieve a body like that? :p

On a side note, I can't help but be bothered by the following:

Even though Mariko's fiancee is supposed to be a villain, I truly feel sorry for him. Not only did Wolverine sleep with his girl, he also got thrown off the building by Wolverine. This is wrong at so many levels!

Wolvie's a cad but that's why we love him..

Saw it in Hong Kong last night. It's an okay film, not great, but not bad either. I enjoyed Pacific Rim a lot more. Though gotta admit that Hugh Jackman's physique looks really nice. Can Agent One explain how to achieve a body like that? :p

Even though Mariko's fiancee is supposed to be a villain, I truly feel sorry for him. Not only did Wolverine sleep with his girl, he also got thrown off the building by Wolverine. This is wrong at so many levels!

Mariko's fiance got what he deserved. Actually, I would say he DIDN'T get all that he deserved. Besides, I still haven't forgiven him for being such a bad dude in Tokyo Drift...

for my bit, i actually liked Jackman as Wolverine in Origins. i'm fairly sure i'll most probably like him here just as well.

he did an outstanding job, IMHO, portraying Logan as an all round decent, down-to-earth human being

that has suffered a solid hand of rather shitty cards by life, and continues on doing his best for the memory of his lost love,

and for the benefit of the future of those he cares for.

. perhaps i am merely naive and immature, but i tend to find such a character portrayal rather refreshing in this day and age, YMMV... :)

Edited by Shaorin

I saw it today, and I knew I was in for a rocky ride when there were only 6 ppl in the theater. Nothing really surprised me or entertained me like I had hoped and that's kind of sad. I love X-Men, I love Wolverine, but there were some issues both editing wise, and story wise that didn't sit well with me. Only one movie besides this one made me yawn throughout the whole film, and that was some lesbian drama flick my girlfriend made me watch 2 years ago.

for my bit, i actually liked Jackman as Wolverine in Origins. i'm fairly sure i'll most probably like him here just as well.

he did an outstanding job, IMHO, portraying Logan as an all round decent, down-to-earth human being

that has suffered a solid hand of rather shitty cards by life, and continues on doing his best for the memory of his lost love,

and for the benefit of the future of those he cares for.

. perhaps i am merely naive and immature, but i tend to find such a character portrayal rather refreshing in this day and age, YMMV... :)

I agree with you completely, however this latest Wolverine movie sadly doesn't support Hugh Jackman's performance, and I think it's a damn good one at that. Hikuro, were the girls in that lesbo movie hot?

I agree with you completely, however this latest Wolverine movie sadly doesn't support Hugh Jackman's performance, and I think it's a damn good one at that. Hikuro, were the girls in that lesbo movie hot?

Nope! It was one of those based on a true story. I can't remember who was in it......uuuuuhhhh that gal with Clint Eastwood who wanted to be the boxer who I think is not the least bit attractive. She was hella butch and the movie was boring.

I really enjoyed this. It is not without flaws though. The final act of the movie was the big letdown. The first 2/3rds of the film were interesting and compelling. That being said I feel it was the best Logan has been since X2.

After seeing this movie....I enjoyed it but it was ok. I did not like the Silver Samurai as a robot angle. One of the biggest pet peeves I have with movies is the constant deviation from source material. I understand completely that not everything translates well but come on...Harada is supposed to be the Silver Samurai not Yashida. That always bugs me, kinda like Michael Bay making Iron Hide a black truck instead of red.

Was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Actually kind of wish I hadn't heard the good reviews for it as my expectations would have been even lower and I would have been even MORE pleasantly surprised. But this actually managed to get me excited both for future Wolverine solo movies and for Days of Future Past, both of which I was kind of wary about before hand.

I liked the isolated story overall, I hope this affects wolvie's future stories somehow. Really liked Yukio too.

Comments IMO

-The story was very predictable except when his claws were broken, did not expect that to happen at all.

-Silver samurai didn't need to be that big, but I guess Hollywood thinks boss fights need a giant villian. To me, the fight with Mariko's father was better.

-They should have left venom/snake lady all scaled up.

-I hate his bone claws.

-I actually got excited seeing the tact on, special ending for DOFP and I even have a low impression of Brian Singer...which bring up some questions.

Did Yukio and Logan go on a 2 yr vacation? Did she go back to Japan? She's not in DOFP which is why I say Fox tact on that ending. I feel like there's supposed to be another Wolvie movie with Yuko before the special ending.

I actually really like the bone claws, gives him a far more animalistic look, plus it's just way more creepy. He looks more like a demon than a cyborg now, which I feel is better to strike fear into the hearts of his opponents. Plus I never thought they would acknowledge that aspect of the comics.

I was hoping viper would pull of her skin to reveal green hair. Oh well.

As for the Yukio thing, maybe they will pull a Fast & Furious and have the sequels to The Wolverine all be set before DOFP

Wolverine is not a fan of single women haha

Overall I liked the movie. Their was some weird pacing.

I noticed their were two continuity errors with the viper girl. She took the same glove off twice and she took her top off twice. Weird.

It's kind of silly how the Wolverine movies have no blood or real violence. He cuts a guy and he just falls over with no blood spray or organs falling out.

Kinda takes me out of the moment and makes me laugh. It's just too sanitized. I wish they would release an uncut version on DVD.

I noticed there (not "their") were two continuity errors with the viper girl. She took the same glove off twice and she took her top off twice. Weird.

I thought it was weird when Mariko-chan pulled Logan's chopsticks off his rice bowl and warned him why it's bad table manners. Then after their long conversation about the situation they're in, she pulls Logan's chopsticks off his rice bowl again.

I thought it was weird when Mariko-chan pulled Logan's chopsticks off his rice bowl and warned him why it's bad table manners. Then after their long conversation about the situation they're in, she pulls Logan's chopsticks off his rice bowl again.

Yeah I thought that was another one, but I think she was making a point that she didn't like it.. .the problem being the film-maker didn't show Logan putting it back to stress the point.

I noticed their were two continuity errors with the viper girl. She took the same glove off twice and she took her top off twice. Weird.

It's kind of silly how the Wolverine movies have no blood or real violence. He cuts a guy and he just falls over with no blood spray or organs falling out.

Kinda takes me out of the moment and makes me laugh. It's just too sanitized. I wish they would release an uncut version on DVD.

I don't see Wolverine wiping the blood stain off his claws before they are retracted. So in a way, it's good they didn't show too much blood, else it would be really gross.... all the disease that he could have contracted... yeah, I know, he's immune to them, but still gross

Edited by Ivan

I watched The Wolverine yesterday and was pleased with the film but not blown away. The format of the film is much more interesting than the most other comic book action films. The scale is small and personal with more character and story that makes for a refreshing change in the typical comic book adaptation climate. Hugh Jackman again owns this role and luckily in this new film he has far more to work with than the previous X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The Wolverine presents Logan in many different lights, as an immortal that has grown tired of life and the people living in it and also a struggle with the death of Jean Grey. These two facets of the character are treated well by the script and make for a compelling lead, but the rest of the film isn't so compelling.

The character of Logan endures some issues in the early part of the The Wolverine the consequences of which are never really explored in a satisfying way. They could have done so much more with Logan dealing with the limits of this issue than what was presented here. The action in the movie is interesting and fun for the most part but I felt the latter part of the film relied too much on action without the promising character and story elements built up to that point. The strength of The Wolverine was initially the character and story, but both seem to fall short in the last third. I also felt the setting in Japan was mostly window dressing and there wasn't much to learn about Japan or the people in this film that hasn't already been made cliche in hundreds of other Hollywood films.

Discussing the movie wouldn't be complete without mentioning the original Frank Miller/Chris Claremont comic book that inspired so much of the style and setting in the film. Numerous characters and events from the original limited series do make appearances in The Wolverine but are written in a different configuration not necessarily more satisfying that the book. I also felt at times that director James Mangold was including certain visual components of the comic book into the film when it was not justified but because it was visually arresting. The snow/ninja sequence outside the final locale was a perfect example of a scene that felt jarring. Most choices using the source material worked well, but the film clearly wanted to touch upon too many halmakrs of the comic book whether it was relevant or not.

I give The Wolverine 3 out of 5. A comic book hero adaptation that makes for a nice change from end-of-the-world or the tired origin story, but doesn't offer enough to elevate the film above simply being good and disposable entertainment.

Edited by Mr March

It should wipe a lot off as he pulls it out, or flings his claws around. Or as it retracts into the housing it would scrub some off.

Pretty sure adamantine is stainless! haha.

Anyway... the point is, his claws should be wrecking people, cutting off limbs, and shattering bones. It looks like he's just playing tag most of the time.

Edited by Gakken85

I enjoyed the constantly cart-wheeling, back-flipping and summersaulting ninjas. You have to love a movie with ninjas that cart-wheel, back-flip and summersault when they could just easily walk the 10 steps to their intended destination. I guess if I was a ninja I would cart-wheel, back-flip and summersault all day long...

I enjoyed the constantly cart-wheeling, back-flipping and summersaulting ninjas. You have to love a movie with ninjas that cart-wheel, back-flip and summersault when they could just easily walk the 10 steps to their intended destination. I guess if I was a ninja I would cart-wheel, back-flip and summersault all day long...

I didn't know Ninjas COULD walk.

Yeah but ninja/ kung-fu movies back in the day had giant geysers of blood. Haha.

I wasn't that blown away by the train scene. It was pretty good, but it just seemed a little silly. I still have no idea why A. Mariko would just walk away and get on a random train after she was almost killed, and B. why Mariko would go to a love hotel with him and randomly find a doctor.

That whole area of the plot was like.. huh?

Yeah but ninja/ kung-fu movies back in the day had giant geysers of blood. Haha.

I wasn't that blown away by the train scene. It was pretty good, but it just seemed a little silly. I still have no idea why A. Mariko would just walk away and get on a random train after she was almost killed, and B. why Mariko would go to a love hotel with him and randomly find a doctor.

That whole area of the plot was like.. huh?

My main problem with the plot was the Viper character. She was underdeveloped, underused and never really explained. For a villain that has been around since 1969 I think thats pretty poor.

The whole lack of blood thing was so they don't have to rate it more mature. It was mentioned in an interview I think.

A more graphic/bloody version is supposed to be released on blu-ray. We will have to wait and see.....

My main problem with the plot was the Viper character. She was underdeveloped, underused and never really explained. For a villain that has been around since 1969 I think thats pretty poor.

I think one of the reasons for a weak Viper was the actress herself. Svetlana Khodchenkova probably doesn't speak a single word of English in real life, and it's obvious that she was dubbed over. If they had cast someone like Charlize Theron for the role, we would've gotten a more effective Viper. But I guess the Russian chick was all they could afford.

Have to agree, I doubt it was the actress' fault in any way. The character existed only to be a baddie. Even the main villain had a nebulous motivation at best - or at least it seems like scenes detailing that character's motivation seemed to be missing...

OK, he had some destiny to fulfill, but what the heck was it? Just to be a big shot? Did the Viper lady mess with his mind? He does not seem to be the same character from WWII and no good reason for the change was every really given.

She was simply there for the money.

There are a few lines in the movie that make it sound like she was just using the whole thing for her own purpose, and not just for money. It appears that quite a bit was cut from the film for some reason. This is not a bad thing, the film we ended up with focused on Wolverine's coming to grips with killing Jean Grey, as it should be. For an example of what happens when too much is left on the screen I would point to "The Lone Ranger".

Viper was just silly, period. She reminded me of Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy: intended to be a sultry, cunning, dangerous seductress but ended up coming off as a corny, slow-talking, and completely uninspired fodder-villain...