"Told you I was taller! Also, who said I have 'Dead Eyes'... Psssh."

x8YiWnh.jpg

"ME GRIMLOCK CAN"T HELP YOU ANSWER TO FANBOY BONNER FOR SCALE!"

3jd8OQW.jpg

"Say that to my FACE you kibble wearing throwback!"

F4C0cH1.jpg

"ME GRIMLOCK SMASH PUNY PRIME!!!"

Edited by Gakken85

That Starscream is from the Cybertron line. I think it's Supreme Class, the same size class as Unicron and Primus. I have that one. It stands about 14 inches tall and originally retailed for $50. It was a shelfwarmer and I ended up getting it on clearance for half price.

I got it for $10 from RCSS. :D

Nice. Is that Grimlock Takara or the new Asian exclusive one? Definitely not US Hasbro from the paint apps. argh, I gotta get one.

Grimlock does need better at least partially articulated hands (and get rid of the light gimmick for it). I'd like the wings to fold backwards to at least partially cover the dino head (probably linking to the sides) yet still coming out a bit as 'wings' , I'm thinking. Could probably hide the little T-rex arms in there too. Maybe with a bit of vertical articulation to the tail to allow a modern T-rex/balancing stance as well as the anachronistic upright stance.

Guest davidwhangchoi

everytime i look at this thread i end up wanting grimlock even though i was never interested in it when he was sitting around TRU.

i saw mp thundercraker every weekend for months. (there's a TRU by where i used to work) and just saw acid storm today. i just walk past it. but grimlock, i'm getting tempted to fork out the 400 for the skyfire combo.

did anyone hear any rumors that there might be a re-release for Takara or TRU?

That's the Asian Release.

Got some ideas for another grimlock video that I plan on doing comparing all the best and worse points of each... but that's for later.

Nah, The wings and hands have always been part of his Robot mode. I love that they are sticking straight up behind his back. Some of the comics didn't draw it because they were lazy but yeah.. It's not like a Car where you have to make it look like a certain form. It's an inaccurate depiction of a dinosaur! haha. Just make it look like the 80's toy and I'm happy.

I did some Dino comparison shots for you:

DBgIibA.jpg

7tlwVq1.jpg

OFzwugC.jpg

EJQIVmB.jpg

OeUXCwH.jpg

qCMrKJA.jpg

I quite like all of these photos. I had fun making them.

I def. think that the Takara mold is superior in the Dino mode and the TRU mold is better in Robot mode for a lot of reasons.

Edited by Gakken85

everytime i look at this thread i end up wanting grimlock even though i was never interested in it when he was sitting around TRU.

i saw mp thundercraker every weekend for months. (there's a TRU by where i used to work) and just saw acid storm today. i just walk past it. but grimlock, i'm getting tempted to fork out the 400 for the skyfire combo.

did anyone hear any rumors that there might be a re-release for Takara or TRU?

Yes, there are always rumors about more re-releases but nothing that would remotely be worth getting your hopes up for.

I also passed more than a few Thundercrackers all through last Fall. If I had seen Grimlock, I'd definitely have bought one but just wasn't looking for him or going to TRU or I'd have bought one. Hell 5 or 6 if I knew how much he'd go for a few years later! Definitely hope for another release. Only needs a little bit of tweaking in a refresh.

Thanks for the pics! Seeing those pics makes me think I'd not be missing much going with Hasbro. The difference in teeth and claws isn't that stark. Like the extra paint on legs, etc. I don't even want the crown... or sword... I gotta start watching the open box buys on evilbay more closely though it kills to pay double retail for an open US release...

Finally found the first round of IDW deluxes. Bought them all except Bumblebee, because I heard he's not that great, and if I only buy the mold once I want Goldbug.

First up is Megatron. I've kinda wanted a toy of this Megatron ever since he got the body in the comics. Taken on it's own, it's pretty cool. In bot mode, he's got the beefy proportions, a good head sculpt (although the light piping is pretty much useless), and pretty good posability (aside from not being able to turn at the waist or the wrists). He's a tad on the hollow side, too, but that's pretty much par for the course for a deluxe these days. His alt mode's not bad either. Like most jet Transformers, he looks great from the top, if maybe a little longer than in the comic book. He's not too thick, either, although he's a little kibbley on the bottom, especially where his shoulders sit. For the most part, I can overlook his flaws. My biggest complaint with him is actually that he's too small. He's a head shorter than the Deluxe-class Optimus Prime from the first Classics line, and he comes a little taller than the waist of Voyager Optimus Prime or Megatron from the first Classics series. Considering that he's supposed to be extra big and tall compared to the average transformer, that makes him scale best with Legends-class toys.

Second up is Orion Pax. Really, I'm not a fan of this version of the character. It's like he made a brief appearance in this body in Spotlight: Blurr, but at some point IDW decided to not do the data-clerk background. Instead, as depicted in Autocracy, we see he was sort of a cop, and he looked like the Optimus Prime we know. How to reconcile that? Do a (pointless) Spotlight issue where we show him getting this body from Wheeljack, for reasons that aren't really explained and probably wouldn't make much sense since Pax states pretty much from the get-go that he plans to switch back to his old Optimus-looking body later. It's too bad, though, because with a different, more Optimus Prime-ish looking head, he'd have a great bot mode. Aside from his forearms and the middle of his back, he's not as hollow as Megatron, and he's got great poseability. The part of his transformation where his chest separates from his torso is a bit frustrating, though, and mostly not worth it because his alt mode kind of sucks. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty fair impression of his alt mode in the packed-in comic... it just looks a little sloppy from the sides, back, or top. As with other modern Deluxes, he's a little small, but it's more forgivable here.

Last up, we have Trailbreaker. Hasbro can call him Trailcutter all they want, he's Trailbreaker to me. I think he might be my favorite of the three, but that might be because he's filling gaps in my Classics lineup instead of being yet another representation of a character already on that shelf, but I digress. As with the others, he's a tad too small, especially in alt mode where he's should be a good-sized truck/SUV but the result is similar in size to Classics Bumblebee's compact hatchback. Scale issues aside, alt mode looks pretty good, giving us a more modern vehicle while retaining his early 80s stripes. Everything seems to fit well in both bot and alt modes. My biggest beef with him is that, for all the little Trailbreaker touches like the way his windshield still shows at the top of his chest, the little gun/forcefield generator thingy on his back, and the way his "battle shield" and peg onto his back to give him the back-mounted weapons his toy had, he really doesn't look like Trailbreaker to me. Yeah, it looks a little like his comic book appearance, but I didn't even remember him being in the comics until I re-read the issue he comes packed with. I was hoping for something a bit more like his G1 cartoon appearance, with a black face, more white/gray arms, black hands, single shoulder-mounted gun, a gun hand, more red and less orange bits, no red/orange on his arms, more red on his thighs, and so forth.

Seriously is there anything actually wrong with the 86' movie?

Grimlock say execute them!

No. I'm pretty sure I can quote most of it as the movie plays.

Today I learned about an OVA called TF: Scramble City. Has anyone seen this and is it worth hunting down?

Hot Rod.

I may be opening Pandoras Box but what's wrong with Hot Rod?

Edited by Benson13

No. I'm pretty sure I can quote most of it as the movie plays.

Today I learned about an OVA called TF: Scramble City. Has anyone seen this and is it worth hunting down?

I may be opening Pandoras Box but what's wrong with Hot Rod?

It's alright. You get to watch the combiners play mix n' match with each other.

Haha! Yus! I hate Hot Rod. He's like the "Poochie" of Transformers.

Also, the art on the movie drops off right around the time they attack Unicron. And their should have been more dinobots and less Wheelie.

I loved Hot Rod from the movie. It was angst-filled Rodimus Prime who sucked.

From Season 3

The angst is justified when you go from a sports car to a space age minivan.

So I did some reading about the movie's review and it was destroyed by the critics. If failed to clear $6 mil so it did better than Go-Bots but worse than My Lil Pony (wtf).

Edited by Benson13

Guest davidwhangchoi

I loved Hot Rod from the movie. It was angst-filled Rodimus Prime who sucked.

From Season 3

i loved hotrod until he got optimus killed. i blamed him for prime dying... and for season 3. (sorry for the double post)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

Hot Rod is a lot shorter than Rodimus Prime, which is a lot shoter than Optimus Prime. MP-09 as Hot Rod is only a tad shorter than Rodimus and he has tiny wheels which barely touches the ground.

mp-09 is scaled after the matrix makes him grow. i doubt they'll find a way to shrink Hot Rod in the masterpiece line.

i loved hotrod until he got optimus killed. i blamed him for prime dying... and for season 3.

You can't fault Hot Rod for Optimus dying. It would've panned out the same way because Megatron had the drop on him. In that incident Hot Rod did demonstrate qualities that would lead to him to become a Prime.

Guest davidwhangchoi

You can't fault Hot Rod for Optimus dying. It would've panned out the same way because Megatron had the drop on him. In that incident Hot Rod did demonstrate qualities that would lead to him to become a Prime.

"I've got to help Prime!"

"Stay away Lad! That's Prime's fight!"

"Out of the way Hot Rod!"

"Optimus...forgive me..."

I repeated these words like an angry girl in third grade, until Prime returned...

Edited by davidwhangchoi