The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Very nice paint work. What did you use? Curious why hasbro designed the chest so differently compared to the movie.

Thanks. I kinda went with where the parts may end up from the truck mode.

I painted the blue to show a more deeper metallic look I know its a departure from the movie lineart and colorscheme, and those are some of the things that can be translated well into the toys. But this is a very good molde. I would say even better than the ROTF Prime.

Here is the evasion Prime. Since Takara is releasing Rusty prime I am going to pick up that and repaint as well. Easier to work with a Base that takara has provided

My Evasion Repaint

20140606_081752_zpsjharhjtt.jpg

20140606_011205_zpswevwnjx5.jpg

20140606_011154_zps1ceis4lf.jpg

Edited by slaginpit

I've seen a lot of Evasion Prime repaints that paint the pointy bits by his shoulders silver, and frankly, I don't get it. Yes, that's accurate to Bay Prime from the first three movies (I guess I'll have to watch AoE before I see how he looks there), but to me a huge draw of the toy is how G1 the alt mode is. Painting that piece silver means there's a silver patch that should be red behind the front tires.

Personally, I'm not painting any bits that show up in alt mode on mine.

While I haven't been a fan of the AoE toyline, or the movieverse toys in general, I picked up Voyager Grimlock on a whim. In bot mode, I don't think he looks too different from the Leader version, aside from lacking the chrome. However, I think his t-rex mode looks much better than the Leader version. I just need a little Optimus Prime to ride him.

I've seen a lot of Evasion Prime repaints that paint the pointy bits by his shoulders silver, and frankly, I don't get it. Yes, that's accurate to Bay Prime from the first three movies (I guess I'll have to watch AoE before I see how he looks there), but to me a huge draw of the toy is how G1 the alt mode is. Painting that piece silver means there's a silver patch that should be red behind the front tires.

Personally, I'm not painting any bits that show up in alt mode on mine.

Considering that those are the cab entry steps, silver is the most-appropriate color in alt-mode. Really, it's the G1 toy that's "wrong" there. They simply painted it ALL red with no highlights/details at all. It's no different than G1 Sideswipe's air intakes being red---they simply didn't have the budget for additional paint-apps, while the Masterpiece does and paints them black. Same for the cab's air horns---they wouldn't "really" be solid red, despite how the G1 toy was painted.

freightliner-fl-08.jpg

Yes, even I reference the G1 toys above all else for colors--but they should not be referenced for the smaller details that simply weren't painted back then. Reference the real thing in that case. Yeesh, otherwise MP Sideswipe would be like 99% red...

Considering that those are the cab entry steps, silver is the most-appropriate color in alt-mode. Really, it's the G1 toy that's "wrong" there. They simply painted it ALL red with no highlights/details at all. It's no different than G1 Sideswipe's air intakes being red---they simply didn't have the budget for additional paint-apps, while the Masterpiece does and paints them black. Same for the cab's marker lights---they wouldn't "really" be solid red, despite how the G1 toy was painted. (or actually, its lack of silver/amber paint...)

Red on MP-01, red on MP-10, red on G1 toy, red in the cartoon. Silver might be a more probable color for the cab entry steps for an actual Freightliner, but to me it's just not Optimus Prime accurate.

Besides, just because 99 out of 100 Freightliners are going to have silver cab entry steps (I'm assuming because that's the color of the bare metal, paint would be likely to wear off), doesn't mean that red is wrong. I managed to find at least one with painted steps (although they're blue).

post-187-0-33784000-1402340552.jpg

MP-10 is still vastly simplified compared to how it "really" would look like:

27280830d1329962490-mp-10-optimus-prime-

I'm not saying red steps are wrong---I'm just pointing out that silver isn't! (thus, painting Evasion Prime's bits on his shoulders silver, doesn't go against his G1 alt-mode's look---unless you are being utterly slavish to exactly how the toy is, and not taking into account the real-life truck at all)

It'd be like saying Skywarp should have silver tires, not black, because that's how the G1 toy was... Other colors are certainly acceptable/appropriate, even if it's not exactly how that little bit was in G1.

I'm not saying red steps are wrong---I'm just pointing out that silver isn't! (thus, painting Evasion Prime's bits on his shoulders silver, doesn't go against his G1 alt-mode's look---unless you are being utterly slavish to exactly how the toy is, and not taking into account the real-life truck at all)

That is exactly what I'm doing. To me, no version of G1 Optimus has had silver cab entry steps. Painting them silver takes a big red (in my mind) area and makes it a different color, no matter how likely a real Freightliner is to have silver steps. And that's why, to me, painting them silver on Evasion Mode Prime will always make him look odd to me in alt mode, no matter how much more accurate it makes his bot mode or how realistic it would be to have had silver steps in the first place.

I just can't get past that it looks 100x more like "off-white paint" than the "super-faded chalky red with rust and primer showing underneath" we see in the trailers.

It's rusty Magnus, not rusty Prime.

Agree, the first thing I thought was Ultra Magnus.

-b.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Oh and finally got my hands on a Hasbro Masterpiece Grimlock thanks to davidwhangchoi. :D

One less toy to hunt for!

-b.

thanks for the props! enjoy!

Red on MP-01, red on MP-10, red on G1 toy, red in the cartoon. Silver might be a more probable color for the cab entry steps for an actual Freightliner, but to me it's just not Optimus Prime accurate.

Besides, just because 99 out of 100 Freightliners are going to have silver cab entry steps (I'm assuming because that's the color of the bare metal, paint would be likely to wear off), doesn't mean that red is wrong. I managed to find at least one with painted steps (although they're blue).

attachicon.gif11863411524_288d467be7_m.jpg

Um you dont have to like my work. I didnt paint it for you

attachicon.gif11863411524_288d467be7_m.jpg

You guys see this Rusty Prime Japanese exclusive?

rustyprime2_1402287759.jpgrustyprime1_1402287759.jpg

Wow like he is covered in milk. Well Will buy and repaint since most of the work has been done for me but he is my friends version of hunk a junk prime.

DSC_0437_zpshrwm7dj7.jpg

Um you dont have to like my work. I didnt paint it for you

I'm sorry, slaginpit. Almost every repaint I've seen has those parts in silver. My comments weren't meant to be a criticism of yours specifically or even the quality of any of those repaints in general. Primus knows I've got precious little talent for repainting, and what you've done is certain to look better than mine when I'm finished. Just a general comment that I don't get why everyone but me wants to paint that bit silver.

I see a lot of you guys talking about different "classes" regarding the toys. Can someone explain that real quick. Is it a quality/size thing?

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Size_class

Beast wars was the first range to use classes.

• Basic, the cheapest at US$5.
  • Deluxe, at US$10. This was one of the strongest performing price points, and nearly all future retail lines would feature product in the deluxe price range.
  • Mega, at US$15. Toys of this size were often shelfwarmers.
  • Ultra, at US$20. Only eight toys were sold at this price point.
  • Super, at US$30. This size class contained only one toy, Optimal Optimus.

Basic and Deluxe are sold on cards to this day; size classes larger than Deluxe were, and are, sold in boxes.

Each range since then has their own distinctions.

The above link has all you need to know.

I want to do an OP rusty repaint as well. I guess I'll wait for theTakara Grey edition. Also, I finally pulled the trigger on MP-17 MP-18 & MP-19, before the prices get too crazy for me. I wish I could get Red Alert, but it goes for 150+ -_____-

Edited by vlenhoff

Thanks Gakken.

I would follow up with the main/current class terms used in the fandom are:

Legion/Legend

Basic/Scout

Deluxe

Voyager

Leader

Most other classes are short-lived or uncommon. "Ultra" is still fairly commonly used to describe 3P stuff, size-wise.

(truly, classes indicate price-points, though most people use them to indicate size--but as the years go by, you get deluxe-sized voyagers and vice-versa and overlap etc)

All in all, Deluxe and Voyager are the two main terms you'll encounter---they are the most common types in the main lines, and their designations have remained the same for years.