The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I'm considering doing one of the easy mods for my Blitzwing. Gotta say that figure is all over the place in design and it's not all fit and snap together. It's kind of just rest that part there, and that there and pull here then twist there WALAH! You got a mess!

I did buy Springer online though. I dunno why, I mean I got Defender and I do like that toy, buuuuuuut IDWverse I guess!

Well, after checking a few stores near work earlier in the week, I went to the Target by my house today. Scored a Blitzwing, but alas, no Springer.

What I did find, besides Blitzwing, is a Beast Hunters Shockwave.

Nice! I forgot about him completely, and I do like his makeover in Prime.

I just really want a good Shockwave to go with my Classics...

Unfortunately, no Shockwave I have is perfect. Animated? Too cartoony. DotM? Too Bayformer. FoC? So close, with a perfect head and chest, but he's so tiny, with spindly limbs, and a weird-looking gun hand. I thought maybe, despite his Bayformer-ish rounded limbs, BH might do it. I mean, he's beefy. And while his gun arm isn't particularly G1-ish, I think it's actually more similar than FOC. His head's not as flat and has a layered look that sort of puts it between DotM and G1 Shockwave. And I do like that one of his tank treads makes a "hose" connection from his back to his gun arm.

Sadly, of the four Shockwaves I own, he's got the worst alt-mode. For a guy who always ends up with "Cybertronian" alt modes, BH really looks like Shockwave laying down and aiming his gun between his legs, and maybe I mistransformed him somehow, but he's not particularly solid in alt mode, either. I could forgive his alt mode, but despite being simple and crappy it still seems to manage to compromise his bot mode. He's got zero ankle movement, his gun arm has a limited range of mobility (and keeps popping off), and his hips seem designed to either be in their alt-mode "I'm taking a dump" stance or in a standing up straight pose, with his legs together.

As for Blitzwing, I'm not sure that I can add anything that hasn't already been said by everyone else. He'll go on my Classics shelf in bot mode, and I can say that I have a Blitzwing to help fill out the Decepticon ranks, but he's not one of my favorite toys.

Still looking to score a Springer, but passing on Blitzwing. Might have to forgo even Springer, seeing as my home theater system's been acting up recently, and I need to save some cash for a possible replacement.

Metroplex is a confirmed no-go at this point.

@mikeszekeley: I wanted to get BH Shockwave as a neo-G1 stand-in, but figured he's too small to scale in with the likes of MP-Starscream and Soundwave. Come to think of it, just how large is Shockwave supposed to be? IIRC, he's about Megatron's size in the G1 cartoons. The FOC game makes him look much smaller, only about shoulder height next to Megatron.

I'm waiting for the voyager-scaled version of FT Quakewave. I'm a fairly big Shockwave fan, but I don't really need one THAT big or expensive.

If they make a Voyager-sized Quakewave, that will probably be the first third-party TF I buy, and he'll go with my Classics.

@mikeszekeley: I wanted to get BH Shockwave as a neo-G1 stand-in, but figured he's too small to scale in with the likes of MP-Starscream and Soundwave. Come to think of it, just how large is Shockwave supposed to be? IIRC, he's about Megatron's size in the G1 cartoons. The FOC game makes him look much smaller, only about shoulder height next to Megatron.

Yeah, BH Shockwave would definitely be out of scale with any MP figures. I'm not sure exactly how large Shockwave should be in any given continuity, but in my mind, between the Marvel comics, the original cartoon, and the IDW comics, I'd say he should be similar in size to Megatron.

If you want a Shockwave that looks good next to MP-starscream and Soundwave the only good option is Fans Toys Quake Wave: http://www.capturedprey.com/store/fanstoys_ft03_quake_wave_third_run?keyword=quake wave Edited by anime52k8

If you want a Shockwave that looks good next to MP-starscream and Soundwave the only good option is Fans Toys Quake Wave: http://www.capturedprey.com/store/fanstoys_ft03_quake_wave_third_run?keyword=quake wave

Sadly, that's way out of my budget for now (need to replace my home theater system) . Money aside, I never did like Shockwave's G-1 aesthetics. I don't hate it, but I prefer FOC or BH Shockwave's design to the original G1. Thankfully, Takara's MP designs almost always include some subtle design updates instead of following the 80's G1 proportions and detailing to a tee.

Out of curiosity, how does Springer scale in with Optimus? IIRC, Springer made his appearance only after Optimus died in the G1 cartoon, which means there might be no comparison shots from the cartoon itself. But using Hot Rod(imus) to "bridge the gap," shouldn't Springer be right about shoulder height next to OP?

Ya know, just got my springer in, miles differences between him and blitzwing. He does have a bit of a torso problem on mine they pop out a lot when moving the arms. Also, his side panels in vehicle mode wont stay snapped together with the rest ofh is vehicle frame. That's a pretty big bummer since I really was hoping it'd all lock together nice and tight. But still better than Blitzwing.

FYI my Springer has been sold, but I do plan to sell off my remaining Titaniums----Thundercracker and G1 Magnus. UM has been customized a bit---silver/chrome accents on cab where needed, and red shin details.

It seems like no one likes titaniums anymore and I am seeing people in the Seattle area dumping them. I still like them and I am curious to see your custom Magnus. I might be interested in buying it.

Ok, took some pics.

Painted wipers, side mirrors, headlight surrounds, visor, and marker lights silver on truck cab. Red and silver for tail lights. Painted shins red in bot mode as well as two small areas on the chest-plate. Painted center of head-crest silver. Tried to paint head antennas silver, but they're molded of a rubber that won't take any paint I could find---tried several times, let some paints dry for literally YEARS and it still wiped right off. So just left them white.

IMG_4796_zps23ec295b.jpg

IMG_4797_zps22845a39.jpg

IMG_4800_zps64a1bfb9.jpg

IMG_4799_zpsb7a01572.jpg

Here's someone's stock Magnus for comparison:

ad2fdc6f-0e45-4de7-8e94-29ce564ef07d_zps

034af28d-36b0-4793-b58d-a57958129d3c_zps

Damn! That looks really good! I'd paint mine, but I'm sure it wouldn't come out half as nice...

You'll be surprised how fool-proof a can of spray paint and some quality masking tape can be...not to take any credit away from you, Jet7! :D

BTW, those borders on the mechanical areas of his chest are so clean, that I wonder if you actually took the toy apart for painting. I gotta say, it's a very nicely done paint job.

JET7---What exact color/brand did you use for the gold? I've wanted that color/effect for a long time, but never found a spray that matched, always had to do a two-step process by hand that never came out very smooth.