HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

Someone's review of Carl Macek's Yuniverse:

http://dweomera.blog...h-universe.html

Some choice quotes Harmony Gold reps could use:

...most of the documentary is taken up, not buy the writers (they had those? -ed) or technical people discussing how Carl made Robotech, but is instead mainly fixated on the voice actors lavishing praise on their recently dead friend. I understand that since Robotech was many of the VA's first job, they would wish to postulate on the man himself rather than his production. It just wasn't a very good documentary about Robotech,
They've taken the tact of simply ignoring the critics entirely and creating a some what delusional world in which Robotech was the Saviour of Anime in North America.
Another problem I had with the documentary was Tommy Yune's casual dismissal of Transformers and Transformers fans. I'm not sure if Mr. Yune has noticed.. but while Tobey Mcquires live action Robotech film is floundering.. Michael Bay has produced a Trilogy of (admittedly bad films) which have cumulatively grossed billions of dollars.
All of this isn't to dismiss the documentary. It was a good enough documentary, it simply wasn't what their hype made it out to be. It should have gone into more detail about the show itself, about the comics, about the controversy, about the very rational for creating it in the first place. Instead we just got a bunch of weepy voice actors talking about their friend.

If only more fans were this honest.

Edited by chrisk

It's French. South America has their version chopped into two seperate volumes.

You mean there's more than 1 edition floating over there in France?

Someone's review of Carl Macek's Yuniverse:

I like it for a variety of reasons. Nostalgia.

There's that word again....

Like those jerks who think KOTOR is the best part of star wars

I see what you did there.

There's that word again....

Can't blame fanboys for not being able to rationalize why they keep buying the same DVD set 5 times in the last ten years.

Edited by chrisk

Can't blame fanboys for not being able to rationalize why they keep buying the same DVD set 5 times in the last ten years.

Yes you can, it's an endless cycle they help perpetuate with their money because they don't know better. They give HG the right to screw around with a lot of people, fans and professonals alike.

Edited by Einherjar

So in other words the thread is being "Occupied by the 99%" of Robotech Fans...

I prefer Robotech Tea Party Movement myself, thank you very much.

I blame them for thinking that the greatest time of they're lives was when they were ten.

You made a lot of anonymous users cry, my friend.

Edited by chrisk

DAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that was funny

Hahaha yeah, that was funny, considering I was ten when I first saw it, 9 when I saw Macross. However, I wouldn't even come close to calling that the best time of my life. I guess if you see the majority of the fans, you would believe that statement.

Yes you can, it's an endless cycle they help perpetuate with their money because they don't know better. They give HG the right to screw around with a lot of people, fans and professonals alike.

Now that's not fair. Maybe they keep scartching their DVD's or getting cheeto dust on them, and have to keep replacing them. Or maybe they lend sets out to co-workers who never bother to watch them, and say they accidentally lost them so they'll stop bugging them about it.

I'm a Robotech Fan. I enjoy saying that. Part of my enjoyment of saying it is because it makes a lot of Anime fans exceedingly angry.

Poor choice of words for a blog post egging on something that he/she likes. And whatever nostalgia it brought won't be getting better anytime soon. Limited sympathy.

Now that's not fair. Maybe they keep scartching their DVD's or getting cheeto dust on them, and have to keep replacing them. Or maybe they lend sets out to co-workers who never bother to watch them, and say they accidentally lost them so they'll stop bugging them about it.

But really, 5x times for those reasons?

Edited by Einherjar

I like saying I'm a Macross fan because it means I am on the side that's WINNING, duh

I personally like saying I'm a Macross fan because it pisses off Robotech fans. (Including one who, whenever he talks about me, has to use an effeminate, "faggy" voice, despite the fact that my voice is deeper than his. But that's how he rolls, I guess...he's got to build his self-esteem wherever he can, right...?)

I prefer Robotech Tea Party Movement myself, thank you very much.

For the record I meant it as a numbers joke not a political joke.

Personally I like to call'em the Robofellars and Robochilds of the RWO :lol:

I personally like saying I'm a Macross fan because it pisses off Robotech fans.

I hear you. I like to say "I'm a Macross fan that enjoys a HUGE selection of Japanese imports," every time Robotech fanboys I know lament about lack of new stuff from HG. ;)

(Including one who, whenever he talks about me, has to use an effeminate, "faggy" voice, despite the fact that my voice is deeper than his. But that's how he rolls, I guess...he's got to build his self-esteem wherever he can, right...?)

Its your cute "effeminate" avatars of Misa and Minmay that is to blame for the false impression. All you need is Haruhiko Mikimoto artwork that is more butch like say Veffidas. :p

Edited by Freiflug88

If it was based on music alone, there wouldn't be any contest. But then throw in the subsequent animations, toys and other merchandise, I just don't see why there's an argument. But I don't give anyone that say they are Robotech fans any grief because I see most of them as just people that say they loved the cartoon when they were growing up and they can't be bothered with the details because it's just something they remember fondly. I do believe that most RT fans are Macross fans, again, they have more important things in life than to think about legal debates, toy intricacy, and japanese monikers to differentiate. It's just the few weird ones that insist on Robotech standing on its own that are vocal about their creepy obsession.

We don't get high on the flower of life around these parts.

Here's a thought. We could feed them pineapples. In Macross, we have Fire Bomber to protect us. And I doubt psychedelic plants will work against pineapples. Last I checked, nothing protects RT from the dreaded pineapples.

Here's a thought. We could feed them pineapples. In Macross, we have Fire Bomber to protect us. And I doubt psychedelic plants will work against pineapples. Last I checked, nothing protects RT from the dreaded pineapples.

Nothing, that is, except hovertanks.

Apparently, having a hovertank protects you from EVERYTHING.

Why didn't I hear about this sooner? Oh right.

Harmony Gold merch is garbage.

Anyway, they're is putting out a CD dedicated exclusively to We Will Win?

01 - We Will Win (classic Minmei version)

02 - We Will Win (third verse)

03 - We Will Win (piano solo)

04 - We Will Win (instrumental)

05 - We Will Win (guitar solo)

06 - "Take two"

07 - We Will Win (complete version)

08 - "Yeah!"

09 - "Take one"

10 - The Way to Love (Minmei version)

11 - Robotech Main Title (enhanced version)

12 - The Way to Love (piano solo)

WTF.

Wasn't an inebriated Reba West's singing one of the worst aspects of the show? The part EVERYBODY in any age group skips? Jeeezus... Those boys will stop at nothing to come up with crap that relates to money-maker Macross Saga. I can't imagine this being anything other than a joke gift for someone you really, really hate.

Edited by chrisk

01 - We Will Win (classic Minmei version)

02 - We Will Win (third verse)

03 - We Will Win (piano solo)

04 - We Will Win (instrumental)

05 - We Will Win (guitar solo)

06 - "Take two"

07 - We Will Win (complete version)

08 - "Yeah!"

09 - "Take one"

10 - The Way to Love (Minmei version)

11 - Robotech Main Title (enhanced version)

12 - The Way to Love (piano solo)

WTF.

Wasn't an inebriated Reba West's singing one of the worst aspects of the show? The part EVERYBODY in any age group skips? Jeeezus... Those boys will stop at nothing to come up with crap that relates to money-maker Macross Saga. I can't imagine this being anything other than a joke gift for someone you really, really hate.

It makes perfect sense to me. Yune & co actually "hate" the robotech fanbase, and they're doing all they can to make sure that lthey don't procreate. You can be damn sure any female in the vicinity of a man owning such a CD would defend her eggs from ever coming into contact with his seed.

I don't get the CD "single" thing either, but it seems to just be a gimmick to get people to buy the calendar. They should ask Michael Bradley if they could use his new versions of the songs....oh wait, they only screw people over, nevermind.

I don't get the CD "single" thing either, but it seems to just be a gimmick to get people to buy the calendar. They should ask Michael Bradley if they could use his new versions of the songs....oh wait, they only screw people over, nevermind.

And the Robotech calendar isn't even worth it to buy since they're just reusing Tommy Yune's old artworks. The fans are better off buying a normal calendar.

As the saying goes..... Link? Or it didn't happen.

It makes perfect sense to me. Yune & co actually "hate" the robotech fanbase, and they're doing all they can to make sure that lthey don't procreate. You can be damn sure any female in the vicinity of a man owning such a CD would defend her eggs from ever coming into contact with his seed.

You should have seen Yune at Anime Weekend Atlanta last September. At closing ceremonies he joked to the audience how lucky they were to have so many female fans attend cons because "back in his day" the only girl he ever saw at conventions was... his own sister.