HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

It's probably not. But oh well. That's RT's problem. Not Macross'.

No doubt. That's pretty obvious, but I'm hoping Tom Bateman can come in and shed light on the issue on the reason HG decided to go with the F!@cked up sound.

As for Harmony Gold they are pretty adamant that Robotech was not and will never be just “an English dub of Macross.” Its a completely different show with its own unique SFX so forget about Rick Hunter's Veritech ever “sounding” like Hikaru Ichijo's Valkyrie.

There in, lies the dual edge of the sword. As much as HG wants to claim that, people who are fans of the series will always prefer things that are closer to the original. To me, the original is way better, and it's the source of everything that Robotech was based off of, and even extrapolated from it. It also seems that if they try to move away from the original, they're screwed (AKA, Robotech 3000).

..., but I'm hoping Tom Bateman can come in and shed light on the issue on the reason HG decided to go with the F!@cked up sound.

Cuz the only decent way you can get 5.1 sound from a mono-track is to mirror it on other 4 channels? Or blast it from the center channel? Spliting a mono-track into different channels is pain-staking work that's more effort than its worth. By the time you're done with it, it ain't gonna sound the way it should and you'll probably be years older when it's done.

Here's a thread on VideoHelp.com about converting a mono-track to surround: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/196415-Converting-Mono-to-Surround

This is why they changed it. Freiflug88's post back here pretty much says it. If they're selling nostalgia, I'm sure many of us never had 5.1 surround sound back in 1985.

Edit: Also, WHY DOES MEMO HAVE TO ALWAYS TALK IN CAPS HURR HURR RAGE RAGE!!!!

Its in the past alliteration(s) of this thread.

Something about his hands being too big for his keyboard. So he keeps hitting Caps lock.

Edit:

Broken?

MEMO1DOMINION is your caps lock broken? If it isn't please write like a normal poster.
BROKEN..
Jesus, man, it costs less than 30 bucks to get a decent USB keyboard.

That man has had that freaking problem since we first met about 6 years ago on Robotech.com. Fix the damned problem already!!!

BUt then....

As far as I've heard from people who've asked him directly, he's just lazy.

So.. all of the above? :blink:

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

As far as I know, HG opted to use new SFX for the remastered Robotech edition because of time limitations. Also, let's be honest here, it is way cheaper to use some generic SFX than to properly master a monoaural audio track for 5.1 surround.

As far as what was used in the remasterization process of the Animeigo Macross DVD set, it is my understanding that they reached out to HG for the material per Shin Kurokawa in Anime Expo 2001 (I think Tom was involved in the panel that year and i'm sure he can clear this up)

Regards

Hey, if you wanna prove your case, then you better have some clear questions. That's all I'm saying. Same goes for for the other side. You never asked what AnimEigo recieved or confirmed what AnimEigo recieved.

Doesn't get much clearer than " I recall news being sent out that audio masters had to be received from Japan to due the degradation of the audio tapes harmony gold had on hand." and " we provided HG with all of the materials we received or produced ourselves "

Anything aside from that is just being nitpicky.

Any chance we could have a Robotech Scoopda board, granted it would only have 1 or 2 posts a year, but wading through the griping about HG and the nuttier parts of the RT fanbase is almost getting as bad as going onto the RT website for news (ok, perhaps I exagerater a little - but the RT scoopda is an honest request, since I really don't have any desire to look at the RT website and really don't care about the RT fandom but I would like to know when something new for RT is actually released or announced)

An exercise in futility... you really want a whole thread based on HG stringing you along? Hey! We have a new series next year! A new movie being developed! A new toy that should be released soon! Followed by all the members here making fun of them and calling them out. You'll pretty much get something like this thread or better yet, just like most of the threads on RT.com... You should just subscribe to McQueefer's blog.

In other words... No! Na-a! Nope! No way! nyet! non! Nari! Nu! Hindi! Ne! Nie! Ei! Nee! Nein! Nahin! Nah! Iie! NEVAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

It's sweet of you to ask though... :D

This is why they changed it. Freiflug88's post back here pretty much says it. If they're selling nostalgia, I'm sure many of us never had 5.1 surround sound back in 1985.

I'd also like to add I just tried Tom Yune's suggestion and it WORKS. So if the Remastered 5.1 audio track bothers you just turn your sound system to MONO and Bingo your back to the original Robotech audio from the 80s.

Edited by Freiflug88

An exercise in futility... you really want a whole thread based on HG stringing you along?

No, which is why I want it here. As I said, I don't follow the RT site (don't even go there), if there was a thread here about REAL scoops then I would not feel the urge to stop in this thread, and since the scoop thread would not have a new post more then twice a year it is a win win for me.

I'd also like to add I just tried Tom Yune's suggestion and it WORKS. So if the Remastered 5.1 audio track bothers you just turn your sound system to MONO and Bingo your back to the original Robotech audio from the 80s.

That actually eliminates the popcorn popper gunpod effects?

An exercise in futility... you really want a whole thread based on HG stringing you along? Hey! We have a new series next year! A new movie being developed! A new toy that should be released soon! Followed by all the members here making fun of them and calling them out. You'll pretty much get something like this thread or better yet, just like most of the threads on RT.com... You should just subscribe to McQueefer's blog.

In other words... No! Na-a! Nope! No way! nyet! non! Nari! Nu! Hindi! Ne! Nie! Ei! Nee! Nein! Nahin! Nah! Iie! NEVAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

It's sweet of you to ask though... :D

All the "Scoopda" is here already. Probably the last thing we need is a second thread to confuse where info is coming from.

That's great and all, but why not just have it set to choose the original mono, or the crappy 5.1? Yeah, I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I think the overall consensus is that people don't really like the new SFX nearly as much as they maybe should. It's just one of those, "Yeah, you messed up" things.

Maybe they'll get the sound just right for the next re-release. Hell, go High Definition and then Blu-Ray enhancements in another 2-5 years while they're at it since people will buy it.

But Blu-ray cost money!!! And that may not be in the tax write off allotment for the fiscal year plans for rt this decade year.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Sorry if this has been posted before (I seem to start a lot of posts with that recently)..

Trawling through the Culture Graveyard that is the internet for info about certain old cartoons, I found this:

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff228/letsanime/?action=view&current=macross.jpg

The blurb seemed really similar to something I remember from the mid-nineties:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/video/kiseki_clashb.jpg

Here's the source, btw:

http://letsanime.blogspot.com/2008/03/dyna-cool-frank.html

It's a page out of a solicitation booklet for Peregrine Films, apparent license holders of a ton of old classic stuff back in the day. Arcadia of My Youth, Locke the Superman, they're all there. And like the blog describes, it seems that they put minimal effort on their part and mostly market already-produced "International Versions" of the movies.

Anyway, I interpret this non-coincidence of the text to mean that Toho provided it themselves on their own catalogue (which must exist somewhere) and it was recycled by both Peregrine and Kiseki when they (supposedly) purchased their respective rights. The word "Bionoid" in "Clash of the Bionoids" actually appears in the original trailer for DYRL (though not in the actual movie), so I think Toho provided this stock blurb for the international market in the same way that TMS does business by attending international contents licensing fairs and distributing thick books of their back-catalogue with English summaries.

Since Celebrity released Clash in the US, how does the "Celebrity" label relate to Peregrine Films, if at all? Did they acquire the distribution rights from Peregrine?

This does not really directly relate to Robotech per se, but it gives us a hint at what was going on in the 80s and 90s in terms of licensing...

The ADV Japanese track is the remastered 2 channel audio copied right out of the Animego DVDs minus the separate tracks for fandubbers.

Untrue. The Animeigo Japanese track is crystal clear. The ADV Japanese track is muddy & crackly.

Since Celebrity released Clash in the US, how does the "Celebrity" label relate to Peregrine Films, if at all? Did they acquire the distribution rights from Peregrine?

This does not really directly relate to Robotech per se, but it gives us a hint at what was going on in the 80s and 90s in terms of licensing...

In all honesty, we don't know. This has kinda been a problem with DYRL?. We don't know who owns the film distribution rights because it has been released through so many labels. And those labels may have been bought up through the years so they've transferred from one hand to another. Those companies may still exist in some form or another. We don't know if those rights expired or if they are running in perpetuaity.

In all honesty, we don't know. This has kinda been a problem with DYRL?. We don't know who owns the film distribution rights because it has been released through so many labels. And those labels may have been bought up through the years so they've transferred from one hand to another. Those companies may still exist in some form or another. We don't know if those rights expired or if they are running in perpetuaity.

The big question, of course, is: do THOSE COMPANIES know that they have the rights to DYRL...?

But Blu-ray cost money!!! And that may not be in the tax write off allotment for the fiscal year plans for rt this decade year.

It gets cheaper as time goes on and will become cheap enough for them to take advantage of. The point is that the current DVD set will eventually be irrelevant one day since going 360 degress with the the same 85 episodes in the franchise sells despite oversaturation.

But you're right, their plans this year is to finally introduce Love Live Alive the Robotech way. Also, "For Carl... *teardrop*"

That's kind of a gamble in hoping some company would have the foresight to check their decades old catalogs

Again...it worked for Friday the 13th... (and apparently, Gatchaman did something similar).

I mean, if no one checks their back catalogue when the Variety ad appears, what are the chances they'll check it when the actual product arrives?

Which company released the latest DYRL version?

That will be Bandai Visual thru their Emotion label. :p

In all seriousness,

In the US:

Best Film & Video Co released DYRL as Macross back in 1995.

Celebrity Home Video released DYRL as Macross in Clash of the bionoids thru their Just for Kids Label back in 1988.

Funny thou, Celebrity Home Video was founded by the same guy that founded Family Home Entertainment (the company that released the first full run of Robotech on VHS).

Kiseki films was a movie distributor for the UK and Australia (according to the wikipedia entry)

I remember having at one point a subtitle edition of DYRL distributed by them (circa 1998).

Its not uncommon for companies to have distribution rights based on territory (like in the Manga and ADV case of the remastered edition of Robotech)

Toho owns the international distribution rights of DYRL, heck, they were the ones that commissioned the best engrish dub of all time for the international market in 1986.

The problem lays finding out who owns the license to distribute the film in the US since the previous distributor (Best Film & Video Co) seems to be out of business

Edited by waters7

Okay...checking some references...

I have it on good authority that Toho, Big West, and Tatsunoko all have a stake in DYRL. According to said source, the divvied-up holdings of Kiseki and Celebrity have nothing to do with it.

Basically, BW and Tatsu have to work out their differences in order to make a North American release happen.

Okay...checking some references...

I have it on good authority that Toho, Big West, and Tatsunoko all have a stake in DYRL. According to said source, the divvied-up holdings of Kiseki and Celebrity have nothing to do with it.

Basically, BW and Tatsu have to work out their differences in order to make a North American release happen.

Has anyone ever bothered to send an email to Toho to inquiry about DYRL distribution in the US?

Has anyone ever bothered to send an email to Toho to inquiry about DYRL distribution in the US?

As far as I can tell, Toho doesn't matter so much. Big West and Tatsunoko own most of it, and both of them need to be a part of any negotiations.

I'm not terribly worried about the Japanese market as that's fairly easy to figure out who has a stake in what.

The problem lays finding out who owns the license to distribute the film in the US since the previous distributor (Best Film & Video Co) seems to be out of business

Bingo.

Harmony Gold's trademarks and copyrights to the name Macross would preclude any release of DYRL here without their involvement.

So unless you want to see Tommy Yune's "Worlds of Robotech - Macross: Do You Remember Love?", it's probably best left as a dead issue.

Again, bingo.

Clash of the Bionoids was released illegally. The company that made it had no right to sell it outside of its original local release.

So...if, as a hypothetical question, I wanted to release a fansub of DYRL... I shouldn't feel too bad about it...?

No, you shouldn't. Just be sure to send me a copy of it when you finish it. :)

Edited by Tom Bateman

No, you shouldn't. Just be sure to send me a copy of it when you finish it. :)

Oh, I certainly would... If I were doing such a thing in the first place (which I'm not, of course).

A little bird told me that if you go to his house and check his keyboard, the caps lock is actually broken. ROBOTECHNOLOGY

It's true. It is.

Of course, one wonders why he doesn't get a new laptop...