HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

can't someone just release Macross DYRL as just DYRL and avoid any references to Macross in the subtitles or the promotional material

that's what Super Techno Arts did with their release of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure the OVA where they changed the names of characters to avoid any infringement on popular music artists even when the Japanese audio was obviously unchanged

I mean what layers understand that crazy language anyway

can't someone just release Macross DYRL as just DYRL and avoid any references to Macross in the subtitles or the promotional material

that's what Super Techno Arts did with their release of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure the OVA where they changed the names of characters to avoid any infringement on popular music artists even when the Japanese audio was obviously unchanged

I mean what layers understand that crazy language anyway

Isn't that also what led to "Rupan III" and "Captain Herlock," as well?

As far as I can tell, Toho doesn't matter so much. Big West and Tatsunoko own most of it, and both of them need to be a part of any negotiations.

I need to dig in to the rulings of BW vs Tatsunoko as I recall that TOHO is actually mentioned as being the international distributor for the DYRL film

Clash of the Bionoids was released illegally. The company that made it had no right to sell it outside of its original local release.

Tom, do you happen to have more information on this?

I'm helping put together a VHS/LD/DVD catalog with information about DYRL @ macrosschronicle.com and I would like to include (if you don't mind) this information on the VHS for Clash of the bionoids.

Harmony Gold's trademarks and copyrights to the name Macross would preclude any release of DYRL here without their involvement.

So unless you want to see Tommy Yune's "Worlds of Robotech - Macross: Do You Remember Love?", it's probably best left as a dead issue.

Have you heard of "fair trademark use"?

edit: quote correction

Edited by waters7

" Marum co., ltd." (Imprint of " SHOWA NOTE Co., Ltd. " ) release ”Drawing-Book for coloring” of ROBOTECH MASTERS anime title " Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross" April in A.D 1984.

The Imprint " Marumi Co . Ltd,. " 's publishing , former is inferior to the latter " SHOWA NOTE Co., Ltd. "in some respect.

401b8540cee6b5bb.gif

post-1627-0-95986200-1325543033_thumb.jpg

post-1627-0-24016400-1325543052_thumb.jpg

Edited by yui1107

Clash of the Bionoids was released illegally. The company that made it had no right to sell it outside of its original local release.

Please clarify. Who "made" it? What company is this you are referring to? Toho?

The big question, of course, is: do THOSE COMPANIES know that they have the rights to DYRL...?

My understanding is there's three or four companies that THINK they have rights but aren't ENTIRELY sure.

And everyone's waiting for someone else to make a move so they can handle this in the traditional american way... by sueing whoever moves first and sorting it out in a court battle.

Because Althena forbid they get together with the other potential rights-holders and talk it out like grownups when they can have a good old-fashioned brawl in the streets.

Please clarify. Who "made" it? What company is this you are referring to? Toho?

The company that produced the dub, it's been a while, but it was something that was done officially (the dub), but it wasn't for any official wide release, but one of the companies (in Hong Kong, I believe) was involved had some claim to it and began selling it around as "Clash of the Bionoids"; the Japanese companies did a poor job of putting a stop to it, so that's why it was around for so long.

The company that produced the dub, it's been a while, but it was something that was done officially (the dub), but it wasn't for any official wide release, but one of the companies (in Hong Kong, I believe) was involved had some claim to it and began selling it around as "Clash of the Bionoids"; the Japanese companies did a poor job of putting a stop to it, so that's why it was around for so long.

Tom, the dub in question had an official wide release in VHS and LD in 1987. Both editions were published and distributed by Toho.

Now, about the dub made by the hong kong company. I was told by this so called Robotech fan that Greg Finley worked in the dub as Cpt Global. I contacted Mr Finley thru facebook to confirm this but his answer was that he couldnt remember. Do you happen to know if he worked on this dub?

Tom, the dub in question had an official wide release in VHS and LD in 1987. Both editions were published and distributed by Toho.

Now, about the dub made by the hong kong company. I was told by this so called Robotech fan that Greg Finley worked in the dub as Cpt Global. I contacted Mr Finley thru facebook to confirm this but his answer was that he couldnt remember. Do you happen to know if he worked on this dub?

Thanks for the info on the dub. It was only for that specific VHS and LD release. Do you have any scans of the VHS or LD covers? This release should have been limited to Japan and perhaps Hong Kong, but whatever happened beyond that was not authorized by Toho, Tatsunoko, or Big West and I doubt that any of those companies saw a dime from "Clash of the Bionoids". That was my understanding.

I haven't listened to it in years as I don't own a copy of CoB, but I am certain that Greg Finley DID NOT do any work on the DYRL dub. Nor did any other Robotech voice actor.

Thanks for the info on the dub. It was only for that specific VHS and LD release. Do you have any scans of the VHS or LD covers? This release should have been limited to Japan and perhaps Hong Kong, but whatever happened beyond that was not authorized by Toho, Tatsunoko, or Big West and I doubt that any of those companies saw a dime from "Clash of the Bionoids". That was my understanding.

I haven't listened to it in years as I don't own a copy of CoB, but I am certain that Greg Finley DID NOT do any work on the DYRL dub. Nor did any other Robotech voice actor.

Thanks for the clarification, Tom.

This is the LD cover.

http://www.macrosswo...rossldfront.jpg

If I remember correctly, the VHS cover has the three characters on a white background.

Found the VHS cover:

post-1318-0-93540600-1325581761_thumb.jpg

Edit -- I spy "Produced by and Copyright Bigwest"; "Sold by Victor Music". Toho is nowhere to be found... This leans towards more credibility in the claim that Toho had the international distribution rights, while Victor and/or Shogakukan had domestic one. At least until BandaiVisual/Emotion took over from Victor/Shogakukan at some point (1992, with the release of the "Perfect Edition", perhaps?).

Edited by Renato

"Flash Crapper"??? "Light Rifting"??? I almost feel like I need to put those posts on ignore just because they don't contribute a damn thing, but they are so F'ing goofy.

Pretty sure they only used local actors from HK.

Thanks for posting your full correspondence with Robert Woodhead, Keith. Unfortunately, you didn't ask him a specific question as much as you described to him a long-winded, general theory of yours. As a result, it looked like you asked him whether or not AnimEigo ever returned their remastered audio tracks to Harmony Gold, not where they received their audio material from.

Below is the statement that Robert Woodhead actually addressed:

My own personal theory of the time was that because AnimEigo had contacted the Japanese licensors directly and you paid for the audio remaster yourselves, harmony gold & ADV didn't have access to your audio remaster.

And his response:

To the best of my knowledge, we provided HG with all of the materials we received or produced ourselves when the license reverted.

best,

R

Note that he never addressed where the audio material came from, most likely because you never specifically asked him to answer that. Just that whatever material AnimEigo recieved was returned to Harmony Gold when AnimEigo's license expired.

If your theory were correct, and AnimEigo received their audio tracks from an outside third party, then AnimEigo would've committed copyright infringement when they gave those audio tracks to Harmony Gold (as per Woodhead's statement above), instead of returning them back to their third party owners.

There's no mystery where AnimEigo received their Macross material from. Just look at the DVD's copyright notice and credits. :)

And again, this time in bold

because AnimEigo had contacted the Japanese licensors directly and you paid for the audio remaster yourselves

But as I said, this is getting silly. Raise your hands if you actually subscribed to the animeigo newsletters & read them during the original pre-order.

ah! I see that you were referring to the Clash of the Bionoids cut. That still leaves the question about Best Film edition of DYRL and Kiseki's subtitled edition.

Thank you for clearing the information about Greg Finley too! :) It turns out that this fan is also claiming to have access to same rare Robotech information provided by Macek him self. Talk about Shalom all over again :p

Thanks for the clarification, Tom.

This is the LD cover.

http://www.macrosswo...rossldfront.jpg

If I remember correctly, the VHS cover has the three characters on a white background.

Found the VHS cover:

post-1318-0-93540600-1325581761_thumb.jpg

Edit -- I spy "Produced by and Copyright Bigwest"; "Sold by Victor Music". Toho is nowhere to be found... This leans towards more credibility in the claim that Toho had the international distribution rights, while Victor and/or Shogakukan had domestic one. At least until BandaiVisual/Emotion took over from Victor/Shogakukan at some point (1992, with the release of the "Perfect Edition", perhaps?).

My mistake about the VHS, I didn't have it with me when I posted the information.

A few years ago, when the channel Locomotion was still in the air, they produced and aired a spanish dub of DYRL. At the time, I was advised by one of the channel's representatives that Locomotion acquired a license to distribute the movie from TOHO.

And again, this time in bold

But as I said, this is getting silly. Raise your hands if you actually subscribed to the animeigo newsletters & read them during the original pre-order.

I did sign up for the original pre-order and I don't remember them saying that they went to Tatsunoko for any material.

Tom can help us clear this up as well as I remember that he was in that panel in 2001 with the Animeigo people talking about the remastering process

ah! I see that you were referring to the Clash of the Bionoids cut. That still leaves the question about Best Film edition of DYRL and Kiseki's subtitled edition.

Ah, but see, who first produced the "cut" edition? The Toho dub UNCUT was released in the UK by Kiseki as "Clash of the Bionoids" (even though the title of the movie is clearly "SUPER SPACEFORTRESS MACROSS" [sic]). I'm not sure, but I believe those cuts were made stateside by either Celebrity or Peregrine.

Meanwhile, the subbed edition that Kiseki put out was identical to Emotion's domestic "Perfect Edition" release from 1992 (?) with the Flasback 2012 concert at the end. However, the copyright still says 1994 Toho International. AAARRGH

My mistake about the VHS, I didn't have it with me when I posted the information.

A few years ago, when the channel Locomotion was still in the air, they produced and aired a spanish dub of DYRL. At the time, I was advised by one of the channel's representatives that Locomotion acquired a license to distribute the movie from TOHO.

I remember watching that. However, I don't remember if they had the English credits from the Toho dub or if they had the 2012 footage at the end.... Damn, I'm getting old. All this info is getting lost in the ages. Do you still have contact with that gentleman?

Isn't that also what led to "Rupan III" and "Captain Herlock," as well?

Really? I'd heard somewhere that Leiji Matsumoto considered "Herlock" to be the official translation? Was it really due to some licensing issue?