HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

Then my question is, why have a creative director. I mean seriously...all that has come out over the past 11 years is rehash of stuff that's already been thought up. Heck, even Shadow Chronicles was basically an animated fanfic of Sentinels to New Generation transition. If all they're going to do is come up with stuff like that, then they can just hire someone off the street to do that for about half the price of a year's salary, and be done with that issue. Makes you wonder. I think Frank Agrama is simply just too old, and doesn't want to deal with all that garbage, thus, the reason they aren't putting anything into the franchise at this time.

I wonder the same thing.

The Animation today is much better, easier and cheaper to make than it was 10 or 20 years ago, no longer used much acetate, is all directly on the tablet and go to the monitor.

Expense of a reboot as they did with He-Man or Thundercats?

If thats the case they can just hire us. We have better ideas than HG. And we're cheaper

Until I write something better than good old Agrama XD

Edited by Old_Nash

If thats the case they can just hire us. We have better ideas than HG. And we're cheaper

Well there are people who would actually like to reboot Robotech, for example they could hire Michael Jelenic. He is one of the producers and writer of the new Thundercats reboot (which by the way is good IMO), he even has shown interest in doing it.

Dr. T: If you could handle another reboot, what would your choice be?

MJ: I would love to tackle a Robotech reboot. I think that's such a great concept, and I remember it very fondly from my childhood. I think that's going to have to wait until there's a Robotech movie, but hopefully that will be around sooner than later.

That is from an interview about Thundercats with Animation World Network , you can read it here: Interview

Edited by Dash

With everyone interviewed recently who mentioned it, I wonder if they would still be enthusiastic if they knew the legal snarls regarding Robotech.

Remember how Toby Macguire was when he actually was given the chance to do just that years ago?

Edited by Einherjar

They'd probably turn it down after attempting to work with Tommy Yune and crew. They'd probably have so many restrictions even doing a reboot, it wouldn't be worth it. I can just see it now, HG's version of a reboot would be the exact same story, exact same characters, just different designs. What makes the Thundercats reboot so great, is that it's not the same story, and helps to bring in more fans, and new ones at that. Speaking of, I just bought the seson 1 book 1 of Thundercats. Awesome stuff.

They'd probably turn it down after attempting to work with Tommy Yune and crew. They'd probably have so many restrictions even doing a reboot, it wouldn't be worth it.

ANY restrictions HG tried to put on a real company would put the project on ice. No studio is going to take any direction from a company that has HG's track record...

Moreover, a reboot is a moot point as the cost of doing a reboot would be astronomical in the eyes of HG and, before a studio would even get involved, the problems HG would have in working with a network to produce the show (since HG can't do it alone) would block any reboot's progress.

Moreover, a reboot is a moot point as the cost of doing a reboot would be astronomical in the eyes of HG and, before a studio would even get involved, the problems HG would have in working with a network to produce the show (since HG can't do it alone) would block any reboot's progress.

Well, if one gives even reboot/retool/remake in Robotech, to forget to use Macross, Southern Cross or MOSPEADA.

Starting from scratch, giving a new origin, or to redesign the characters, as they did with that ... what ... the section of Robotech II: Sentinels.

Where was clearly defigurante mutation that made the characters

Well there are people who would actually like to reboot Robotech, for example they could hire Michael Jelenic. He is one of the producers and writer of the new Thundercats reboot (which by the way is good IMO), he even has shown interest in doing it.

That is from an interview about Thundercats with Animation World Network , you can read it here: Interview

Jeeze one random thought by someone turns into all this hype. Robotech is dead, its just been gasping for air since 2001. The only thing keeping it going is the nostalgia many feel for it because it did make an impact. It introduced me to anime and that I will never deny. Sadly there is nothing they can do or will do to ever light that spark again. The small window of opportunity it had was slammed and barred shut with the epic fail that was Boobtech Shadow Branicles.

Anyone that believes I'm talking out of my ass please prove me wrong...I mean really the nail in the coffin should be the laughable "new" product they are going to dump on the fans, LLA? Really? Wow...Sayonara no Tsubasa now that's something new and by that I mean to us stateside. The entire Frontier story has accomplished more in 3 years then what HG has done with Rowboatech in 25 years.

If HG cannot afford to change shipping companies to bring in their light artillery battlepods what makes anyone think they will actually become financially involved with the production of a new 85 episodes series? How old are these people that are even debating the possibility? 12? Any rational adult would chuckle and move on.

Jeeze one random thought by someone turns into all this hype.

Oh my boy, we've been saying "just reboot the damn thing if you like it so much" for years. We're just rehashing the thought as it gets mentioned with this or that interview.

Now if you really want to have fun, start the rumor that some producer of a remade '80s cartoon show is gonna remake Robotech on a RT forum and then you'll see hype.

Thanks for starting another round of complete BS whoring. It only takes one sentence with "Robotech" in it to start it. <_<

Thanks for starting another round of complete BS whoring. It only takes one sentence with "Robotech" in it to start it. <_<

"I would love to do it" is the not-so-subtle way of saying "hire me to do it." But, as it's been said before, HG would make it so difficult to work for that even if it were properly funded and the right talent was behind it, the show would hit so many pit stops that we'd be lucky to get a straight-to-video, half finished pilot with no real plot two years later.

Apparently, on the rtx forum, they're over-hyping it already. It's gone from two guys just talking shop, to being, "These guys want to work on Robotech." It's really kinda funny, if you ask me. Then again, when a franchise if full of hot air, the fans wlll reach out for anything.

Jeeze one random thought by someone turns into all this hype.

Apparently, on the rtx forum, they're over-hyping it already. It's gone from two guys just talking shop, to being, "These guys want to work on Robotech." It's really kinda funny, if you ask me. Then again, when a franchise if full of hot air, the fans wlll reach out for anything.

See. Just another day of trolling the Interwebs.

I need to find an appropriate troll face for this....

I don't really think they should reboot. It'd be better to just put all that behind them and just go with a sequel or a new "chapter" with completely new characters and mechs and :gulp: new songs... where the three "converted" series are far behind them. Actually they should put together a new more cohesive 3 chapter series in spirit of the original. No confusion and no ties to macross/SC/NewGen except maybe for some historical references of names, battles and mechs. But the important thing would be, as everyone else has mentioned, a complete overhaul of creative staff, with an emphasis on CREATIVE.

I don't really think they should reboot. It'd be better to just put all that behind them and just go with a sequel or a new "chapter" with completely new characters and mechs and :gulp: new songs... where the three "converted" series are far behind them.

But but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but Penny Penny Penny Penny Penny Penny Penny Penny but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but...that doesn't answer the eternal question...What happened to Rick Hunter? :lol:

Like I said... referenced:

James Tracker: It's in honor of how Rick Hunter and the rest of the SDF2 crew perished...

Sophia Knifer: You mean the fleetwide anal herpes epidemic? That was a tragic indeed!

They should hire me! :lol:

Like I said... referenced:

James Tracker: It's in honor of how Rick Hunter and the rest of the SDF2 crew perished...

Sophia Knifer: You mean the fleetwide anal herpes epidemic? That was a tragic indeed!

They should hire me! :lol:

Hahaha, he said "anal". I'm sure you peaked a certain podcaster who loves that kinda sick stuff.

I don't really think they should reboot. It'd be better to just put all that behind them and just go with a sequel or a new "chapter" with completely new characters and mechs and :gulp: new songs... where the three "converted" series are far behind them. Actually they should put together a new more cohesive 3 chapter series in spirit of the original. No confusion and no ties to macross/SC/NewGen except maybe for some historical references of names, battles and mechs. But the important thing would be, as everyone else has mentioned, a complete overhaul of creative staff, with an emphasis on CREATIVE.

So Robotech 3000, except good. Or Voltron Force, without the humiliation. Like Star Wars, without Ewoks or Jar-Jar. Like Star Trek, without Porthos or Wesley. Exo Squad, with an ending. Mass Effect, without the sex. Starship Troopers, without Casper Van Dien (The RDF was becoming more fascist anyway). Star Blazers, with more Americanitis. Ender's Game, without Ender or kids. Falling Skies, with more Protoculture-like elements. Space: Above and Beyond, with singing. And Macross, without legal access to the material people really want.

Good luck with that.

That's the biggest difference between fan fiction and professional work. Fan fiction tends to fill in the littlest gaps of existing characters, rides on story arcs that not one person who hasn't followed the entire series would understand, and generally alienates ay outside audience. That's where Shadow Chronicles failed story-wise. It was basically episode 86 1/2.

In other series that span over generations, including Star Trek and Macross, you'll get your subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) reference here and there, but overall they're relying on a new story, new characters, new settings, etc.

Robotech 3000, as bad as the two and a half minutes we saw of it, could have brought in a lot more fans (ie, paying customers) simply because it didn't alienate new viewers.

So Robotech 3000, except good. Or Voltron Force, without the humiliation. Like Star Wars, without Ewoks or Jar-Jar. Like Star Trek, without Porthos or Wesley. Exo Squad, with an ending. Mass Effect, without the sex. Starship Troopers, without Casper Van Dien (The RDF was becoming more fascist anyway). Star Blazers, with more Americanitis. Ender's Game, without Ender or kids. Falling Skies, with more Protoculture-like elements. Space: Above and Beyond, with singing. And Macross, without legal access to the material people really want.

Good luck with that.

Seriously... we don't ask for a lot, but they keep giving it to us.

Don't forget bayformers without the twisted metal junkpile robots.

You know, the thought occurred to me. Had this article not been posted up in here, it probably wouldn't have ever been put anywhere else. We move Robotech :wacko: Hahahaha.

Who would have thought that Robotech fans get their news/rumors from a Macross forum?, now I'm feeling bad for posting that part of the interview here (all is going according to plan :p).

I was just reading that interview to see if Pumyra would appear in the second season of Thundercats, and then I noticed that last part, it was just a coincidence really.

It all goes back to the "I'd love to..." and "it'd be great if we could..." type statements. They mean nothing, and just get people whirring speculations on small forums that, in the big picture, don't really make a dent. Remember that guy who directed The Losers, and how he said he looked at the script for the live action movie? Nothing came of it.

I remember once Aint it Cool used to post crap like this years ago. Once, they posted images of an "Aliens" themed cartoon some well-known artist did mockup for, along with comments like "Isn't this neat? Wouldn't you guys want to see this?" It wasn't until commenters started saying stuff like "Use this site to report real news, not pitch unsolicited projects"

Besides, you think the "creative" team at HG wants to have over control to Mike Jelenic? They're probably jealous as hell that he actually pulled something off that's successful and fans love.

One thing is certain.

If there is no reboot / remanke / retool the franchise, does not help re-release the DVDs in Bluray without something new.

The new generation wants materialde first.

If so why bring the old He-man back? Or Transformers (Prime is adrunk), or even the ThunderCats.

One thing is certain.

If there is no reboot / remanke / retool the franchise, does not help re-release the DVDs in Bluray without something new.

The new generation wants materialde first.

If so why bring the old He-man back? Or Transformers (Prime is adrunk), or even the ThunderCats.

Do not underestimate the power of nostalgic consumers... and moderators.

You know, the thought occurred to me. Had this article not been posted up in here, it probably wouldn't have ever been put anywhere else. We move Robotech :wacko: Hahahaha.

12266814.jpg

Edited by Einherjar

http://www.amazon.co...64&sr=8-2-fkmr1

Rand Unwrapped-Confessions of a Robotech Warrior by Frank Catalano...you heard it here first...

Have at it rt.trolls...enjoy yet another piece of fandom you didn't find out about on rt.com

Kudos to D.B. on the FB protoculture times page for the find.

Looking closely at the cover art, is that Tommy's work? If so...why haven't they even mentioned this book? Oh wait...that would make way too much sense.

Edited by Zor Primus

Rand Unwrapped-Confessions of a Robotech Warrior...you heard it here first...

Have at it rt.trolls...enjoy yet another piece of fandom you didn't find out about on rt.com

Looking closely at the cover art, is that Tommy's work? If so...why haven't they even mentioned this book? Oh wait...that would make way too much sense.

While this book maybe an interesting read, I can almost guarantee this is a "see, Robotech is moving" type of misconception that the mods will claim. If it wasn't mentioned on rt.com, it's most likely that it is because Tommy wasn't involved. I guess rt.com is only good for ego stroking and morons. The rest that are still there, are there to just watch it all.

Rand Unwrapped-Confessions of a Robotech Warrior...you heard it here first...

Amazon description

How the voice of the character of Rand from the animated ROBOTECH series was created. Lots of information about working in voice over and animation.

M. E. H.

Have at it rt.trolls...enjoy yet another piece of fandom un-reported by HG...

... If so...why haven't they even mentioned this book? Oh wait...that would make way too much sense.

Probably because it has very little to do with RT. Unless of course, the lunatic fringe decide to paint it as their bible on how to break into voice-over business for some upcoming show involving robos and tech. ;)

That's me btw ;)

Unless the reason is that this book totally bashes the current HG admins, I'm honestly perplexed why there is absolutely not one mention on Robotech.com, the Robotech twitter feed, the Robotech Facebook page or even HG's "Unofficial" Robotech blog.

I know fans have said "Why don't we ever hear of new stuff coming out from you guys??!1" to no end, and most of the time, it's due to to things like negotiations which HG can't talk about publicly.... but this is a NEW product. Something that's not a reprint or a re-hash.

Then again, this WAS published by a CreateSpace, Amazon's self-publishing unit, so it's entirely possible that this was a rogue publication that HG didn't know about. But with Tommy's artwork, a copyright symbol next to the "Robotech" name, and the fact that Frank Catalano has over 25 years of experience in television, it's doubtful.