New Star Trek series in the works?

At least for the novels, it used to be that it was required to have a regular character in the novel (I have not read or kept up with ST novels in decades, things might certainly have changed...)

The best example I can think of is the novel that focused on Klingons, the writer had to book-end it with a section about how it was a book being read by the crew of the Enterprise - just so that it had a tenous connection to them. (The novel was used as a basis for the Klingons in FASA's Role Playing game)

Is that the one where the TOS Klingons were a sort of hybrid Janissary type and the ridged head ones were the "imperial" Klingons? I do like those Klingons better than the "you have no honor schtick" TNG bequeathed (ignoring the TOS precedent that the Romulans were supposed to be the ones concerned with honor and all that, probably more as a variant of the cursus honorium than what we ended up with courtesy of Worf).

Is that the one where the TOS Klingons were a sort of hybrid Janissary type and the ridged head ones were the "imperial" Klingons?

That is the one.

The Ridge head klingons were the original Klingons as well. The Asian looking ones where genetically modified to look more like humans, and there was a third group genetically modified to be more like Romulans as well. Just rememebered the title while I was writing this, it was called "The Final Reflection" here is the wikipedia entry if anyone is interested (not much there)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Reflection

Seeing anime tackle something like the X-men, I would like a desecration of Star Trek to take place as well, and explore the concept of the bridge harem. The captain will basically be an unqualified worthless no skills guy, who is surrounded by a tsundere first officer, a communication officer who is empowered by the yuri, a glasses girl as the science officers, and twins sitting at the helm and ops consoles up front. It will run for 12 episodes, and have a mandatory Risa swimsuit episode, a Federation culture festival where one possible relationship route is resolved.

BD releases and OVA's will potentially explore other romantic routes like the Klingon Princess X Species 8472 ending.

Edit: ... Oh wait, they kinda already made this show a long time ago.

Edited by Ghost Train

It's interesting that Abrams' Trek voided everything before it (or after, if you go by the timeline, excluding UPN's Enterprise).

There is a clean, fresh slate for a new Trek TV show. Maybe something that is a spinoff from Abram's film, but gets back to the essence of some of the older TV shows that wasn't in the Abram's films.

I always thought it would be interesting to do a Star Trek TV series told through the POV of the Klingons, or Romulans. Tell their side of the story.

Or, you can go the extreme route. Do a series hundreds of years after Voyager (which I believe was the FINAL Trek show chronologically). In that sense, you can still keep things fresh and new. But do something with it. Maybe the Earth was destroyed, and they're on the run. Maybe searching unexplored space for a new world to start over. The last of the Federation ships. So it's back to exploring, but will have the sense of danger and excitement of the newer series.

But again...that sounds a lot like BSG to me too.

In short, doesn't matter. I love Trek and would LOVE to see a new series.

Didn't precisely void it.... Khan is still floating out there, as is the Doomsday Machine and the big amoeba and eventually V'ger and the whale probe should still be on their way to Earth, too. :D

Edited by Uxi

It's interesting that Abrams' Trek voided everything before it (or after, if you go by the timeline, excluding UPN's Enterprise).

There is a clean, fresh slate for a new Trek TV show. Maybe something that is a spinoff from Abram's film, but gets back to the essence of some of the older TV shows that wasn't in the Abram's films.

I always thought it would be interesting to do a Star Trek TV series told through the POV of the Klingons, or Romulans. Tell their side of the story.

Or, you can go the extreme route. Do a series hundreds of years after Voyager (which I believe was the FINAL Trek show chronologically). In that sense, you can still keep things fresh and new. But do something with it. Maybe the Earth was destroyed, and they're on the run. Maybe searching unexplored space for a new world to start over. The last of the Federation ships. So it's back to exploring, but will have the sense of danger and excitement of the newer series.

But again...that sounds a lot like BSG to me too.

In short, doesn't matter. I love Trek and would LOVE to see a new series.

Pretty sure Janeway pops up via call to the bridge during Nemesis, so it technically takes place last.

Here's that Matsumoto interview I mentioned a bit ago btw.

http://www.starblaze...php?page_id=549

WTF did I post the link here for? Stupid middle of the night!

Edited by Keith

Didn't precisely void it.... Khan is still floating out there, as is the Doomsday Machine and the big amoeba and eventually V'ger and the whale probe should still be on their way to Earth, too. :D

You know, it would be interesting to explore an "alternate" side to the stories you mention above. Khan of course, is a fan favorite. I just watched it on BluRay a few nights ago, and man. That is just the pinnacle of Trek for me. Yes, I know Rodenberry wanted Trek to be about space exploration, and Khan deviated a bit from this formula, but it is just solid.

The power of Trek 2, for me, came with an ex girlfriend of mine. She hated Trek, cause she hated Kirk's Womanizing ways. I know, I know. We had many dorky debates about this fictional character. She thought he was setting a bad example to young boys, ect. Yeah, yeah, whatever. Anyhow, I finally manage to get her to watch Trek 2. And, she was crying at the end. For someone who despises a character like Kirk, who boycots an entire show, nay, an entire icon of a culture...to get her to care enough to cry? That's one damn powerful movie. If you don't appreciate Kirk's character prior to seeing Trek 2, then TWOK really forces you to at least respect him a bit.

The whale probe? Meh. I can do without revisiting that story. As far as time travel in Trek, I think it's been over done. Hell, Abram's last film was all about that.

A new Trek show would be amazing. But sadly, I don't see it happening. I know for a while, Johnathan Frakes was trying to get a new Trek show going. There were even rumors of Shatner trying to do the same. From what I read, Enterprise's performance really hinders that possibility. In this business, you're only as good as the last project you've done. To the suits, Trek on TV ended with Enterprise. Although it's not fair to just say Enterprise failed. It was on UPN, it got bad time slots, poor to no advertising. Hell, it even competed against BSG for airtime. Not a smart move by UPN. Some say Enterprise was just a bad show, and I have to disagree. It was different. And that too, lost viewers. But it was that attempt of doing something bold that I really enjoyed. Plus, it was fun how they explained the different looks of the Klingons throughout the different Trek shows, the evolution of the Vulcan government and their position as Earth's greatest alley. I would have liked to see Enterprise go on for another 3 years, as originally planned. (a 7 year arc). But I digress. Enterprise may have thwarted any immediate plans for a TV show to air, but if Abrams keeps pumping new life into Trek (like it or hate it), maybe a new show will be a remote possibility one day.

The power of Trek 2, for me, came with an ex girlfriend of mine. She hated Trek, cause she hated Kirk's Womanizing ways. I know, I know. We had many dorky debates about this fictional character. She thought he was setting a bad example to young boys, ect. Yeah, yeah, whatever. Anyhow, I finally manage to get her to watch Trek 2. And, she was crying at the end. For someone who despises a character like Kirk, who boycots an entire show, nay, an entire icon of a culture...to get her to care enough to cry? That's one damn powerful movie. If you don't appreciate Kirk's character prior to seeing Trek 2, then TWOK really forces you to at least respect him a bit.

As you allude, it probably worked for your ex since that had Kirk regretting some of the choices he had made, especially in regards to Carol Marcus. (And she is the one that left him - really too bad that they mess it up in Star Trek: Generations - it should have been Carol Marcus he was seeing in the Nexus)

As you allude, it probably worked for your ex since that had Kirk regretting some of the choices he had made, especially in regards to Carol Marcus. (And she is the one that left him - really too bad that they mess it up in Star Trek: Generations - it should have been Carol Marcus he was seeing in the Nexus)

The use of the character was most appropriate in Undiscovered Country, too.

I don't remember any peripheral characters from ST2 in ST6, who are you reffering to?

Doh, meant to specify the novelization. Carol is supposedly on a planet that Chang's cloaked BoP attacks as part of a series of provocations across the neutral zone. She's severely injured and comatose, which goes a long way to fanning Kirk's rage over David again.

Too lazy to look up the source, but I'm pretty sure that the official line on how the Abram-verse Trek relates to the Prime continuity is that it was a split in the timelines, rather than a void.

lol at the power of fanboy rage if that's true. Split my ass, that movie totally voided everything post Enterprise, and for good reason. ST had become so convoluted with the borg, q, time travel, time travel, the borg, q, and more time traveling borg, the only sensable thing to do was reboot. So what does Abrams do? Not only reboot, but erease everything in the previous canon in the process. BRILLIANT!!

lol at the power of fanboy rage if that's true. Split my ass, that movie totally voided everything post Enterprise, and for good reason. ST had become so convoluted with the borg, q, time travel, time travel, the borg, q, and more time traveling borg, the only sensable thing to do was reboot. So what does Abrams do? Not only reboot, but erease everything in the previous canon in the process. BRILLIANT!!

I loved all the original Trek TV shows and movies. And I even loved the Abrams verse. (His casting choices were dead-on).

The originals were getting difficult to keep up with. Split timelines is the only way to deal with this situation, since it is the fans who kept the show alive since the 1960's. They still have their universe to play around in, and the newer generation has the Abrams verse.

Just like the Federation, it's keeping the peace between the two sets of fans. :lol:

I loved all the original Trek TV shows and movies. And I even loved the Abrams verse. (His casting choices were dead-on).

I feel the same way, although not as much with Insurrection and Enterprise, the series. At that point I felt the entire franchise had not only "jumped the Tribble" but ate it and dumped it out the other end.

On another note, I miss Q; shame they weakened him much like the Borg with that whole Q-baby thing...

I feel the same way, although not as much with Insurrection and Enterprise, the series. At that point I felt the entire franchise had not only "jumped the Tribble" but ate it and dumped it out the other end.

On another note, I miss Q; shame they weakened him much like the Borg with that whole Q-baby thing...

I hardly watched any Voyager but read about it on Memory Alpha. Definitely shafted Q more. Not much of a Continuum with all the changes they saw in a short 10-15 year period. :lol:

It would be great if there is going to be a new Trek series someday. I do hope it will remain true to the positive approach of Roddenberry to the future of mankind and space exploration. BSG is probably more in tune to the "zeitgeist". I hope Abrams' interpretation will stay away from too much grimdark.

I hardly watched any Voyager but read about it on Memory Alpha. Definitely shafted Q more. Not much of a Continuum with all the changes they saw in a short 10-15 year period. :lol:

I didn't see any of Voyager until about a year ago.

I have to say, I really dug it. The concept was fun, and the stories were very familiar, yet unique. I really got into the show around season 4, where the writers seemed to really find their legs. It was a lot more exciting than the other treks before it, and you actually felt the entire crew was always in peril.

Good times on TV. Or rather, with the DVD. :lol:

I have to say, I really dug it. The concept was fun, and the stories were very familiar, yet unique. I really got into the show around season 4, where the writers seemed to really find their legs. It was a lot more exciting than the other treks before it, and you actually felt the entire crew was always in peril.

I have to agree. The idea of a Federation ship struggling to get home was a unique peril that kept me interested. Their improvised 'tech made it too easy for them to get out of just about every problem, but I don't remember a heavy reliance on time travel or other weak plot devices....I think, I dunno it's been awhile, lol.

I used to fantasize how much more ass they would've kicked if a Sovereign or at least a Galaxy class ship had been out there, but the diminutive Intrepid class just made the journey that much more trying. It's a good little ship! ^_^

I have to agree. The idea of a Federation ship struggling to get home was a unique peril that kept me interested. Their improvised 'tech made it too easy for them to get out of just about every problem, but I don't remember a heavy reliance on time travel or other weak plot devices....I think, I dunno it's been awhile, lol.

I used to fantasize how much more ass they would've kicked if a Sovereign or at least a Galaxy class ship had been out there, but the diminutive Intrepid class just made the journey that much more trying. It's a good little ship! ^_^

If memory servers me correctly, the Intrepid class, despite being smaller and having less crew than the Galaxy or Sovereign, is at least technically supposed to be the most advanced ship class of the fleet, as it packs some of the latest & greatest tech like the EMH program, neural-gel packs, and the highest sustained warp speed. This would have given it an edge in terms of survival... but in reality the only technology that mattered was plot armor.

... but in reality the only technology that mattered was plot armor.

:lol:

In all honesty Voyager wasn't much better or worse than any of the other modern age Trek series. Granted that DS9 departed a little from the established "Trek TV show formula" that was perfected in ST: TNG but having watched most of the series as they aired, including TNG, DS9, Voyager and what little I could stomach of Enterprise they all blur together in my memory. I thought as much watching them, it just felt like the same olf thing over, and over, and over, and over and over again.

And I like Star Trek - was introduced to the original series at a young age and loved watching it and most of the movies but it got long in the tooth which is why I loved what Abrams did with Star Trek, it was a fresh take on an established mythology while opening doors to something new while not destroying what had come before.

Hopefully any new series is as, or more bold and doesn't rehash the stories, or formula, that came before.

-b.

My preference would be a show that followed Voyager and Nemesis in the original timeline. Dealing with the fallout of the Romulans, possibly new agitation through the wormhole, etc.

I imagine they'll stay on the alternate kick, though. I can't see them gathering the whole ensemble, especially Chris Pine, etc for TV. A good idea I read somewhere was to use Cho and Quinto and do a new "Excelsior" series, probably with Quinto as Captain Spock.

My preference would be a show that followed Voyager and Nemesis in the original timeline. Dealing with the fallout of the Romulans, possibly new agitation through the wormhole, etc.

I imagine they'll stay on the alternate kick, though. I can't see them gathering the whole ensemble, especially Chris Pine, etc for TV. A good idea I read somewhere was to use Cho and Quinto and do a new "Excelsior" series, probably with Quinto as Captain Spock.

Holy poo that would rock!

There was a full timeline picture and explanation of the current timeline and where the new movie fit in. For whatever reason I can't find it now, it was on the STO website. According to that it's an alternate timeline like Dragonball Z.

Wait, DBZ is an alternate ST timeline? Now my mind is officially blown!!

Wait, DBZ is an alternate ST timeline? Now my mind is officially blown!!

Oh, yeah. The Federation unlocks the mysteries surrounding the origins of the Borg...

and discovers they are nothing but pawns to Sailor Moon and Pikachu. (<=== How in the HELL do you spell that name?)

Edited by ae_productions

Meh, Voyager never really found its own voice. I hate the fact that I waited five to six years for that series to ever come into its own.

However, I still find that DS9 still stands the test of time. I actually brought my Season 5 DVDs of DS9 with me while I was out on training last week.

Now, I'll admit there are a few clunkers in there.

But overall, a lot of those episodes are still very rewatchable and enjoyable. Great stories, characters that stayed true to their traits, differences of opinions amongst crew members and with recurring guest characters (that didn't necessarily mean CONFLICT, but made the stories a hell of a lot more interesting), and recurring characters that actually grew, developed, and even went down unexpected paths over the years.

Damn good stuff.

Meh, Voyager never really found its own voice. I hate the fact that I waited five to six years for that series to ever come into its own.

However, I still find that DS9 still stands the test of time. I actually brought my Season 5 DVDs of DS9 with me while I was out on training last week.

Now, I'll admit there are a few clunkers in there.

But overall, a lot of those episodes are still very rewatchable and enjoyable. Great stories, characters that stayed true to their traits, differences of opinions amongst crew members and with recurring guest characters (that didn't necessarily mean CONFLICT, but made the stories a hell of a lot more interesting), and recurring characters that actually grew, developed, and even went down unexpected paths over the years.

Damn good stuff.

Ron Moore spearheaded DS9. I agree, it is a great show. I loved the characters, and how DS9 became a focal point of the war between the Federation and the Dominion. Great stuff. Some of the most exciting episodes in all of Star Trek.

Ron Moore spearheaded DS9. I agree, it is a great show. I loved the characters, and how DS9 became a focal point of the war between the Federation and the Dominion. Great stuff. Some of the most exciting episodes in all of Star Trek.

I've been thinking of watching DS9 from the point where it gets good. It is somewhere between the end of the first season and the episode where the Klingons attacked the station. Can someone give me a good idea of what season/episode is a good one to start with? (Like TNG, the show does not get good till somewhere in the 3rd season I would guess)

I'd personally say start with the season finale from Season 2 and then work your way on up. That episode introduces the Jem'hadar and has a really awesome observation made by Quark (of all people).

However, the following stand-out episodes from Season 1 are also required viewing:

* The Emissary = A little slow in parts, but gives you an intro into who the characters are and what personal baggage they're carrying with them when they first come on board the station.

* Duet = Easily in the top 10 or top 5 best episodes in all of DS9's run.

* In the Hands of the Prophets = Another solid ep that introduces a few key recurring characters.

I've been thinking of watching DS9 from the point where it gets good. It is somewhere between the end of the first season and the episode where the Klingons attacked the station. Can someone give me a good idea of what season/episode is a good one to start with? (Like TNG, the show does not get good till somewhere in the 3rd season I would guess)

I think the Klingons were Season 3? Or 4? Can't remember.

I watched this series from the beginning last year. (or the year before, I can't recall). Anyhow, do yourself a favor. Just watch it from the start. It's a lot of fun. And there are constant references to characters, plot elements and so on from previous episodes. If you just jump in, you'll miss out.