Jump to content

What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0


wolfx

Recommended Posts

Finished How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom.

The animation quality took a noticeable dive in the show's last few episodes, almost like the animators got bored and gave up.  I realize that most isekai is low-hanging-fruit otaku wish fulfillment, but the excuses some of these shows come up with to give the isekai'd protagonist a harem are starting to get rather flimsy.  The story stuck with its unusual and oddly compelling premise, but got derailed pretty quick by a war story arc that has an ending that completely defeats the point of the whole thing and robs it of any significance or impact.  I really don't feel like any of the characters besides Kazuya and maybe Poncho are distinct, too.  All the girls surrounding him are pretty similar in looks and temperment... which means none of them really stand out unless they're acting out.

 

Started The Dungeon of Black Company just a moment ago, and I have to admit I instantly like this protagonist without even knowing his name.  He may profess to be a NEET, but he's got mad engineer energy.  He put a gargantuan amount of effort and intelligence to work creating tools and optimizing processes to the point that he could remove himself from the process he'd created without negatively impacting it or sacrificing any of the benefits.  That is the soul of engineering.  If he didn't get isekai'd, I'd say this guy is going places... or not going places, since his stated goal is to be a NEET.  Could've done without him soliloquizing about his brilliance in naught but a banana hammock, though.

EDIT: I question his terms... a NEET implies he's not employed, but he's clearly the landlord/owner of the management firm for three highrise apartment complexes in Tokyo.  That's employment.  So he can't be a NEET.

Edited by Seto Kaiba
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

EDIT: I question his terms... a NEET implies he's not employed, but he's clearly the landlord/owner of the management firm for three highrise apartment complexes in Tokyo.  That's employment.  So he can't be a NEET.

Think this is in terms of he doesn't work, he just has money given to him. Granted it's from a business he owns, but he doesn't have to work in the traditional sense anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So... The Dungeon of Black Company is basically one massive jab at Japanese corporate culture?

I can dig it.  It feels a bit like Turnabout Trial/Ace Attorney in that respect, since that series is a massive jab at Japan's court system.

It's entertaining so far, though Kinji's definitely a bit of hypocrite when it comes to work ethic.  It was rather entertaining watching him...

Spoiler

... effectively unionize a colony of giant sapient ants.

 

Edited by Seto Kaiba
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

So... The Dungeon of Black Company is basically one massive jab at Japanese corporate culture?

I can dig it.  It feels a bit like Turnabout Trial/Ace Attorney in that respect, since that series is a massive jab at Japan's court system.

It's entertaining so far, though Kinji's definitely a bit of hypocrite when it comes to work ethic.  It was rather entertaining watching him...

  Reveal hidden contents

... effectively unionize a colony of giant sapient ants.

 

Oh it gets better, just wait till the third quarter act:

Spoiler

Where he gets into dungeon management and makes it a self-sustaining eco system, literally.

 

Edited by Focslain
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but does anyone know where I can find (purchase physical media or download) a copy of the Korean Lazenca series?

It was actually just recently broadcast here (with english subs) in the nineties, but I've not been able to find it anywhere since. 🥺

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mostly finished with Dungeon of Black Company.  Its premise is... different.  I'm not sure I'd call it great, but it's definitely good and more importantly it's highly distinctive in a genre that has been overflowing with minimum-effort copycats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Mostly finished with Dungeon of Black Company.  Its premise is... different.  I'm not sure I'd call it great, but it's definitely good and more importantly it's highly distinctive in a genre that has been overflowing with minimum-effort copycats.

On that note: I wish someone would do an anime from the perspective of the Main Bad Guy /Boss. Where we hear of the hero and his group via the reports that come into the villain's office/base and the decisions they have to make. That, or an animated version of "Pete's Evil Overlord List". :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

On that note: I wish someone would do an anime from the perspective of the Main Bad Guy /Boss. Where we hear of the hero and his group via the reports that come into the villain's office/base and the decisions they have to make. That, or an animated version of "Pete's Evil Overlord List". :D

Overlord is pretty close to what you're looking for, I think.

Momonga/Ainz is definitely a Villain Protagonist Evil Overlord, and most of his time is spent trying to figure out what the hell is going on or reining in the excesses of his Evil By Nature subordinates.  The one area it falls short of what you're looking for is that there isn't a capital-H Hero in the story yet.  The main character keeps expecting to find worthy opponents in the world, but thus far none have come forward.

There's a fourth season of Overlord that's supposed to be coming out soon too.

I doubt they'll ever animate How to Build a Dungeon: Book of the Demon King since it's got some sexually explicit moments, but it's in that same thematic category as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Overlord is pretty close to what you're looking for, I think.

Momonga/Ainz is definitely a Villain Protagonist Evil Overlord, and most of his time is spent trying to figure out what the hell is going on or reining in the excesses of his Evil By Nature subordinates.  The one area it falls short of what you're looking for is that there isn't a capital-H Hero in the story yet.  The main character keeps expecting to find worthy opponents in the world, but thus far none have come forward.

There's a fourth season of Overlord that's supposed to be coming out soon too.

I doubt they'll ever animate How to Build a Dungeon: Book of the Demon King since it's got some sexually explicit moments, but it's in that same thematic category as well.

Thanks, I'll look it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So... finished The Dungeon of Black Company.  

Not a bad series, but the ending of the TV anime definitely needs some TLC from the writer(s).  Kinji revolutionizes the world's energy and magic industries by... reading the operations manual for the dungeon?  For a minute there, it looked like the world was going to be saved by an end user who knew how to RTFM and wouldn't that have been a mindf*ck?  Instead, he's arrested on some unspecific trumped up charge that isn't explained, tortured for a bit in prison, then released just as inexplicably after his subordinates find and use a manual that he wrote specifically detailing how to circumvent all those problems that was never mentioned or alluded to at any prior point.  He gets himself appointed CEO of his old company and then has it acquired by the company he founded as a wholly-owned subsidary.  

It screams "help help we can't figure out how to tie off the bloody stump of this plot".

 

At least it's not as bad as the show my girlfriend found today.  Nekopara.  On the surface, it's an inoffensive little cutesy show about a bunch of catgirls living in an upscale pastry shop.  As long as you don't think about it, there is nothing to see here.  The minute you DO think about it... it quickly becomes repulsive.

Spoiler

You don't want to know.

Spoiler

No really, you don't want to know.

Spoiler

OK, so the first bit of unintentional revulsion-inducing horror here is that this not some separate race of Cat-People.

These. Are. Domestic. Cats.  

As in F. catus, the kind of cat you might have in your house right now.  The series is extremely clear about this point.

Despite being essentially just humans with ears and tails, they age like cats and have catlike behaviors... and are treated as property and have no rights.  Also this was clearly sanitized for TV, but not nearly enough, because they're clearly trying to make the cats sexy and at least one character has alluded to wanting to **** one of more of the housecats.

This is a cutesy little harem comedy about bestiality.


(ノ°Д°)ノ︵ ┻━┻

 

 

 

Edited by Seto Kaiba
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm starting to feel like most of Funimation's recent acquisitions are all isekai titles with similar premises.

Started Combatants will be Dispatched and it seems to basically be The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious by way of The Dungeon of Black Company... or maybe Needless, if it turns out he has any more obvious anime fetishes.

EDIT: OK no, I was wrong.  This is an isekai version of Chivas 1-2-3, the Sorcerer Hunters spinoff localized as Sorcerer on the Rocks.  Six, like Chivas, is one walking argument that being a total bastard WORKS.

Edited by Seto Kaiba
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm starting to feel like most of Funimation's recent acquisitions are all isekai titles with similar premises.

Started Combatants will be Dispatched and it seems to basically be The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious by way of The Dungeon of Black Company... or maybe Needless, if it turns out he has any more obvious anime fetishes.

EDIT: OK no, I was wrong.  This is an isekai version of Chivas 1-2-3, the Sorcerer Hunters spinoff localized as Sorcerer on the Rocks.  Six, like Chivas, is one walking argument that being a total bastard WORKS.

I mean what do you expect from the writer of Konosuba? The main cast is all there with some jobs swapped around.

Edited by Focslain
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2021 at 10:44 PM, Keith said:

Rightstuf/Nozomi has a kickstarter up for all of "Dirty Pair" on blu-ray.

 

I probably would have jumped on this if it didn't have RS name plastered all over it.    Pass.

It did get funded though for those that went in on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I probably would have jumped on this if it didn't have RS name plastered all over it.    Pass. 

What's giving me pause is all the talk about the high-levels of DNR that were applied to the TV series. This could be really annoying if Nozomi ends up using the Japanese HD elements as their source without any tweaks. Anyway, I'm still thinking it over but there's enough content in the "lovely angel" pledge where I may end up going for it before the crowdfunding ends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like Dirty Pair is available on Crunchyroll now, for those who are interested.

 

On 10/4/2021 at 3:58 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I am almost finished Watamote and it is pretty good show.  It has its moments.

I have to admit, I was not expecting that.  I found myself feeling too bad for the protagonist to keep going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2021 at 3:58 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I am almost finished Watamote and it is pretty good show.  It has its moments.

 

27 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I have to admit, I was not expecting that.  I found myself feeling too bad for the protagonist to keep going.

It's been some time since I've sat through the entire series, and I remember it had some cringe-worthy moments. Overall though, I agree with @Hikaru Ichijo SL, it was pretty good in the end. I definitely understand not wanting to push through the cringe, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Looks like Dirty Pair is available on Crunchyroll now, for those who are interested.

 

I have to admit, I was not expecting that.  I found myself feeling too bad for the protagonist to keep going.

It seems in the end she was actually trying to improve herself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

It seems in the end she was actually trying to improve herself.

I don't know how far the anime goes, but according to some friends, in the manga she's currently a fairly "normal" high schooler (college student maybe???), having grown out of a lot of her old anxieties. I couldn't finish the anime myself, though I remember enjoying the bits I saw well enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I don't know how far the anime goes, but according to some friends, in the manga she's currently a fairly "normal" high schooler (college student maybe???), having grown out of a lot of her old anxieties. I couldn't finish the anime myself, though I remember enjoying the bits I saw well enough.

Thanks for the information.  I didn't know there was a manga.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

It seems in the end she was actually trying to improve herself.

That part is why I was glad I stuck with the anime. The comedy sometimes came out of awkward situations, but overall the story wasn't poking fun at her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I am glad I did too.  I found it had to much cringe at the beginning.

 

I highly recommend reading the manga.  Her attempts to improve herself does bear fruit. Things take a turnaround at the later end of her 2nd year  (starting around Volume 8).

The manga is currently up to Volume 20 and celebrating a 10 year anniversary. At this point, it's almost (but not quite) a yuri manga. She still has her off-kilter mindset (though to a lesser degree) but you find out that she's not the only weirdo at school. There is now a rather large cast of characters and it is currently driving the series to what I think is the ending with her graduation (although I'm hoping it continues into her college years).

 

Edited by Vifam7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched the first few minutes of PuraOre! Died laughing cause they showed the Japanese girls dekking  and out skating Team Canada and winning with a five hole shot.   Man whatever they’re smoking I want some of that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

Watched the first few minutes of PuraOre! Died laughing cause they showed the Japanese girls dekking  and out skating Team Canada and winning with a five hole shot.   Man whatever they’re smoking I want some of that.  

As things stand now yeah the Japanese beating Canada is a joke. Still though, they're not as bad as many would think they are. Yes, there's a massive drop off in talent of the top big three of Canada, United States, and Finland, but sixth in the world for Japan is nothing to sneeze at.

 

The way I see it, the Japanese Women's team is on the cusp of taking the next step in hockey. The fact that they can hold their own on ice against the likes of Germany, Russia, and Sweden as well as this silly little show even existing is a testament to that. If this show like the coach says in regards to her goofy idol scheme can put butts in the seats and get more women interested in the game, then all the better.

 

As far the show itself goes I kinda like it. Goofy Japan beating Canada/Idol dance dream sequence opening aside, it's just getting started and I think it has a lot of potential. Honestly seeing the girls finally stepping on the ice and getting their first lesson in hockey playing brought a smile to my face and reminded me of my childhood. I went through those same skating and passing drills back when I first started playing many MANY years ago.:lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2021 at 9:04 PM, Vifam7 said:

 

I highly recommend reading the manga.  Her attempts to improve herself does bear fruit. Things take a turnaround at the later end of her 2nd year  (starting around Volume 8).

The manga is currently up to Volume 20 and celebrating a 10 year anniversary. At this point, it's almost (but not quite) a yuri manga. She still has her off-kilter mindset (though to a lesser degree) but you find out that she's not the only weirdo at school. There is now a rather large cast of characters and it is currently driving the series to what I think is the ending with her graduation (although I'm hoping it continues into her college years).

 

I plan too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

As things stand now yeah the Japanese beating Canada is a joke. Still though, they're not as bad as many would think they are. Yes, there's a massive drop off in talent of the top big three of Canada, United States, and Finland, but sixth in the world for Japan is nothing to sneeze at.

 

The way I see it, the Japanese Women's team is on the cusp of taking the next step in hockey. The fact that they can hold their own on ice against the likes of Germany, Russia, and Sweden as well as this silly little show even existing is a testament to that. If this show like the coach says in regards to her goofy idol scheme can put butts in the seats and get more women interested in the game, then all the better.

 

As far the show itself goes I kinda like it. Goofy Japan beating Canada/Idol dance dream sequence opening aside, it's just getting started and I think it has a lot of potential. Honestly seeing the girls finally stepping on the ice and getting their first lesson in hockey playing brought a smile to my face and reminded me of my childhood. I went through those same skating and passing drills back when I first started playing many MANY years ago.:lol:

Oh I know Japan is good but right now the two powerhouses in women’s hockey are Canada and USA.  In real life there’s no way in hell Japan is beating either of those two.   Those two should have been the mid season and final boss games.  
 

I agree that whatever puts more butts in seats and gets more women playing the game is good.  
 

Friday night beer league shinny, the ladies can out skate half the guys.   The ratios still ~10:2 guys though.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...