1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

Just some new pics of old stuff. I was bored and played around with lighting, exposure, saturation, and other camera settings to see if I could get a feeling of the cold darkness of space with the only the reflected pale light from a nearby moon or distant star as the light source. It shouldn't, but it still amazes me how much a camera can pick up over what my eye can see given enough exposure time.

2 shots. One under dim light and one under near darkness, same camera position:

SDF-1_SA_compare1.jpgSDF-1_SA_compare2.jpg

VB-6 and VF-25S in the dark:

VB-6_shuttle_08.jpg

Armored_VF-25S_Ozma_battroid_12.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Just some new pics of old stuff. I was bored and played around with lighting, exposure, saturation, and other camera settings to see if I could get a feeling of the cold darkness of space with the only the reflected pale light from a nearby moon or distant star as the light source. It shouldn't, but it still amazes me how much a camera can pick up over what my eye can see given enough exposure time.

I think the second SDF-1 shot makes the most sense (it looks a lot like a scene from the movie really) because you have those bits of glow in the dark on it. It's the least "flat" looking because while it's dim there's some realistic bits that are glowing. It would be better with some glow from engines though. The other two pictures came out good but because there's absolutely no other lighting coming from them they just look dim and flat.

I think the second SDF-1 shot makes the most sense (it looks a lot like a scene from the movie really) because you have those bits of glow in the dark on it. It's the least "flat" looking because while it's dim there's some realistic bits that are glowing. It would be better with some glow from engines though. The other two pictures came out good but because there's absolutely no other lighting coming from them they just look dim and flat.

Thanks for the feedback! I guess I'll need to work on getting some highlight lighting in there somehow.

2 shots. One under dim light and one under near darkness, same camera position:

SDF-1_SA_compare1.jpgSDF-1_SA_compare2.jpg

VB-6 and VF-25S in the dark:

VB-6_shuttle_08.jpg

Armored_VF-25S_Ozma_battroid_12.jpg

Nice shots. I especially like the SDF photos -- makes the ship appear more Zentraedi-like.

loving the tornado parts. even on the v1.

yeah it hides all the imperfection of the version one anyways , also from the armor making the wings tilting upward and a new wing shape making it look like a different fighter altogether from all angles

yeah it hides all the imperfection of the version one anyways , also from the armor making the wings tilting upward and a new wing shape making it look like a different fighter altogether from all angles

True, but I prefer the VF-25G Tornado because the color pallet and distribution blends the Tornado Part in much better with the core Messiah. The gray on Alto is just off-putting for me. In general I think the parts are two bulky. They look two big and blunt not. They don't match up with the fine lines and angles of the Frontier design and look like something that belongs to a VF-18 from Macross 7.

I've never seen any line-art from the first Frontier movie so I can't say how accurate the first DX toys where. In addition I never held a V1 Tornado Messiah in hands but I feel that it would look much better if all the parts where scaled down a little bit. Like making the delta wings a bit thinner, the lasers on the back a bit smaller, the VTOL narcelles not as bulky, and so on and so on.

All this blends in very nicely on the YF-29 the VF-25 just looks a bit chubby. ^_^

I also wished if the VTOL engines could fold away in Battroid-Mode to make a sleeker body. It is just a massive backpack!

Other than that make one for the Renewals Bandai. I beg you! :lol:

It is bulky ...but i think it fit well as it suppose to be an armor upgraded fast pack..? look at the vf25s armored cause that thing is really bulky ... im still on the fence about getting the tornado Vf25G , but the blue look good ...

h6u2.jpg
Edited by lancalot

p1030289.jpg

p1030291.jpg

nice! i see you sprung for the ozma renewal and armor pack! nice photo as always, your phoos have a distinctive look. while they don't show off all the detailing as much as some others due to the moody dim lighting, i immediately know a photo is yours when i see it and can evaluate who it "really" looks like as compared to other things you have photo'd (useeful if you have at least one of the things yhou've photo'd as point of reference)....your setup must be consistent.

Every time I've looked at my Mac Quarter, I felt a little dissatisfied with the way it looks. When I first got it however many years ago now, I painted the areas they neglected to paint, according to the line art, and added a bit of weathering with the Tamiya weathering kits. I still didn't get any sense of scale like the cap ship it was supposed to be because it was so plain and generally lacking in surface detail, so I drew in panel lines some time later, inspired by some shots of various scenes in some episodes. It was better but still didn't look quite right to me. Last night, I used my airbrush to weather it further and this time also treated the panel lines I drew in as actual panel lines and weathered them too with varying widths from broad to hairline. Not really sure what else I could do with it at this point other than finding some glow in the dark stickers and applying them all over like I did with the SDF-1.

Here's how it came out with last night's endeavor:
Macross_Quarter_attacker_10.jpg

nice! i see you sprung for the ozma renewal and armor pack! nice photo as always, your phoos have a distinctive look. while they don't show off all the detailing as much as some others due to the moody dim lighting, i immediately know a photo is yours when i see it and can evaluate who it "really" looks like as compared to other things you have photo'd (useeful if you have at least one of the things yhou've photo'd as point of reference)....your setup must be consistent.

*snip*

Umm....thanks? :)

The Ozma renewal I got it way back. That is nearly 7 months ago.

I have a very basic setup for my photoshoot. Just 2 black backing boards and an old 10MP camera, nothing more. I use the room lighting and thats all. No light box, not whatever bulbs etc etc.

Here is one I recently took.

p1030313.jpg

p1030302.jpg

Edited by TCracker

Every time I've looked at my Mac Quarter, I felt a little dissatisfied with the way it looks. When I first got it however many years ago now, I painted the areas they neglected to paint, according to the line art, and added a bit of weathering with the Tamiya weathering kits. I still didn't get any sense of scale like the cap ship it was supposed to be because it was so plain and generally lacking in surface detail, so I drew in panel lines some time later, inspired by some shots of various scenes in some episodes. It was better but still didn't look quite right to me. Last night, I used my airbrush to weather it further and this time also treated the panel lines I drew in as actual panel lines and weathered them too with varying widths from broad to hairline. Not really sure what else I could do with it at this point other than finding some glow in the dark stickers and applying them all over like I did with the SDF-1.

Glow in the dark bits might look cool, though I think one of the biggest problems is with the design itself. It's too busy a design.

Macross_Quarter_attacker_10.jpg

Seeing all your pic are amazing Macross Junkie , they are a work of art man.... for the Mac Quarter i think the deck needs solid black lines as it look like now to pastel .

Seeing all your pic are amazing Macross Junkie , they are a work of art man.... for the Mac Quarter i think the deck needs solid black lines as it look like now to pastel .

Thanks!

I'm not really sure what you mean by solid black lines. However, the lighting kind of washed out most of the weathering on the ARMD-L and the entire toy was extremely pastel to begin with out of the box.

Here's some shots of the Quarter doing yoga... I mean in carrier mode. This time, there's no light directly reflecting off the surface of the deck so the details should be more visible.

Macross_Quarter_carrier_04.jpg

Macross_Quarter_carrier_05.jpg

Macross_Quarter_carrier_06.jpg