Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

2 hours ago, Urashiman said:

new VF-1P nose, work in progress

old VF-1P fuselage, needs to be reworked to be thicker.

new reworked VF-9 nose, done.

Nice progress.  I think you thickened the entire shell, correct?

My mottling arm is tired!  BTW, if you haven't tried Mission Models acrylic paint for airbrushing, you should! Lays down beautifully with no thinning and for my money lays down waaaay better than Tamiya through my GSI Creos. Made in the USA too so much easier to get than Tamiya theoretically. 

20230402_134906.jpg

20230402_141037.jpg

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

My mottling arm is tired! 

Have you considered (Uschi van der Rosten) Trinity's splatter airbrush stencils? I keep meaning to grab them for that very same reason. One of those tasks that is super fun to do for the first 1/2 hour... then your patterns get bigger and bigger until you start almost pre-shading because your arm hurts and you want it to be over. lol

s-l1600.jpg.b9f934c3ee7c689ae25cba038e53c48e.jpg

6 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I meant dip the sponge in the paint and dab it on. I don't recommend you spray the sponge; that would be messy and your wife may question your sanity. :rofl:

Are you all sure that you’re not supposed to put the sponge through the airbrush?

Since my 1/72 Falcon build many moons ago, I try to use my airbrushes for 99.9% of everything I paint unless absolutely necessary, I despise brush painting or doing anything with actual liquid paint on my builds. No offense to those that do, my hats off to you!  There are guys out there that ONLY brush paint, and make it look amazing!  Blows my mind.  Old pieces of sponges are great for paint chipping effects however!

20 minutes ago, electric indigo said:

After several iterations of things popping off while trying to put things on I'm calling the Desert Hornet finished. Some rough spots remain, but it looks cool enough.

Nice. You have a very consistent painting style.  I would like to see a group photo of some of your birds.

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Since my 1/72 Falcon build many moons ago, I try to use my airbrushes for 99.9% of everything I paint unless absolutely necessary, I despise brush painting or doing anything with actual liquid paint on my builds. No offense to those that do, my hats off to you!  There are guys out there that ONLY brush paint, and make it look amazing!  Blows my mind.  Old pieces of sponges are great for paint chipping effects however!

I’ve done brush painting entire kits in the past and I’m so glad I stopped. I still do small parts here and there or use them for weathering, but the builders that surprise me are the ones that brush paint entirely with lacquer paints. I feel like the airbrush is an immense time saver even with the fact that you might have to take time to clean it or mask the kit.

These days there seem to be easier methods for hand brushing. My daughter got into Warhammer and they have been using speed paint techniques that look like they could be pretty useful on the pilot figures. 

As far as chipping, I sometimes use a water color pencil in a shade slightly lighter than the base color an somewhat randomly tap the kit closer to higher spots and then use a gray one to draw little scratch marks in the middle of those first marks to make it kinda look like older paint that’s been chipped, but I think it’s a bit of a slow process and might go back to the sponge method.

49 minutes ago, electric indigo said:

After several iterations of things popping off while trying to put things on I'm calling the Desert Hornet finished. Some rough spots remain, but it looks cool enough.

Better pics to come.

52789877262_63f89a7af3_c.jpg

img

52790826865_53458bca0c_c.jpg

Are those super sylphs in the back 1/144 Or are they of different scale?

@Urashiman That is a nice rendering. Looking sweet!

@derex3592 Another thing you could try is steel wool. Pull it apart some and flatten it out. But I've got to try those PE spray filters too, they look very easy to use and spending far less time. I bought some MM colors but still haven't used them yet. Would like a good paint that goes easy through an airbrush.

@electric indigo That is a great looking Hornet. At the speed it's going, you'll never see any 'imperfections.'😉

@arbit That's nice improvement on the uniform. Got the creases/folds and even some more chest definition.

5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I also finished up all the aztecs on the NX-01 yesterday. Highly recommend them. Yes, they were as much as the model but they went down perfect and add so much. Not a single issue with any of them. Now on to the kit decals!

20230402_202837.jpg

20230402_202924.jpg

Now you just need one with the secondary hull. :D

@derex3592 thanks for the tip on the Mission Models paint👍🏼 Your Star Ships are looking sweet!

@arbit the V2 looks fantastic. The V1 looks good too.:D

57 minutes ago, arbit said:

Playing around.  Needs some work though.

Screenshot2023-04-0404_17_39.png.329bd794e17ef42c32a7577662198092.png

I like where your going with this!

9 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Better pics to come.

52789877262_63f89a7af3_c.jpg

img

52790826865_53458bca0c_c.jpg

Beautiful :wub:

On 4/5/2023 at 6:40 AM, electric indigo said:

Adding meaningless details continues...

52795568765_3387618ac6_c.jpg

52795175671_29a2028ed9_c.jpg

Great detailing 👍🏼

I was just messing around with this 1/72 Moscato Tomahawk WIP. It's the 2nd run, battle damaged version. CD73609C-95E8-4DD9-987F-859B7A24167F.jpeg.e1d80775713268a56d10c1c48839e2c3.jpeg

On 4/5/2023 at 5:40 PM, electric indigo said:

Adding meaningless details continues...

Meaningless to most of humanity. but not to us 😁

3 hours ago, Bolt said:

I was just messing around with this 1/72 Moscato Tomahawk WIP. It's the 2nd run, battle damaged version.

That's an expensive piece to play around with!

2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

It could really use a Destroid pilot..

Working on it. Give me photos from all angles and dimensions of the seat and seating area.  Maybe place a 1/72 valkyrie pilot in there to gauge size.