Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

On 2/19/2023 at 4:01 PM, Thom said:

Aargh, a typhoon is 'comin!

Did that model come with the Caterpillar drive?

No, It's just a standard Typhoon....Hard to find model pics of the filming model for Red October, I guess I could make scratch built caterpillar doors if I reaaally wanted to,  but I'm kinda meehh on that idea. Just building as is out of box and calling it a day. 

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

No, It's just a standard Typhoon....Hard to find model pics of the filming model for Red October, I guess I could make scratch built caterpillar doors if I reaaally wanted to,  but I'm kinda meehh on that idea. Just building as is out of box and calling it a day. 

Try these:

https://modelermagic.com/red-october-studio-model/

http://www.moon-city-garbage.agency/hunt-for-red/index.htm

https://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/05/07/for-jorg-red-october-models-over-at-boss-fims/

The photos in this link contain screen caps (towards the bottom) of the caterpillar drive doors:

http://www.modelshipsinthecinema.com/2016/12/hunt-for-red-october-1990.html

I hope these help you out!

Edited by pengbuzz

@wm cheng Thank you. It's Trumpeter's F/A-18 A, which I find pretty good & affordable. Their F/A-18 C would probably be closer to the Kuwaiti machine, but the only difference I could spot are the number of antennas on the rudders.

Since I could not source the aftermarket decals for the Kuwait air force, the kit will remain unfinished to a certain degree, but still be beautiful to look at.

A little update on the workbench. Not as far along as i was planning. But , due to the massive power outages in Cali, i was literally in the dark for two days. Lol. Luckily i have a generator (country living!) but I only powered the necessities (sorry workbench!). Nevertheless, i was able to make some daylight progress on the Bunny..

These are supposed to be left and right spacers. I think i got two port side spacers :blink:F46E950D-01D2-4F9C-8A2F-15A65BF4C87D.jpeg.561935ae51f0e7ab103148b99853abd2.jpegLots of test fitting , shaving and sanding. And I don't feel like I've even started..:o  There's tons of room for led's , I'm thinking a few of the landing and navigation lights ((down the road) , this is going to be a very involved project ! 😅 Here's a partial mock up ,so you can see where this is going. Also you can see how the 1/72 scale matches up to the Hobbyexpro VF-4. 54CD0C71-F741-49BB-A0E3-7419CD0567A5.jpeg.4468bd8de7cb5afc057efcd06ca94d5d.jpeg

I'll have more details and (hopefully) progress over the coming weekend. Thanks for swooping by, see you space Cowboys next Deculture 💫

Wow! @Bolt those look fantastic.  Love the splinter camo scheme.  I keep holding my breath for Hasegawa to make a VF-4, I'm sure when I breakdown and buy that Wave kit is exactly when Hasegawa will make their announcement 😛  I never even knew there was a resin kit of that shuttle hopper!  Nice one can't wait to see you build it up.

37 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Wow! @Bolt those look fantastic.  Love the splinter camo scheme.

Thanks @wm cheng ! My next VF-4 (i have a second Hobbyexpro) will be the "Blue Roses" scheme . What do you call this camo pattern "flek tarn"?  I've got the stencils already and the water slides.E7883C6E-3F3B-43A8-BA15-FECDBE66C5A2.jpeg.238fb0320d7904eeffde63d28176352a.jpeg

42 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

I keep holding my breath for Hasegawa to make a VF-4, I'm sure when I breakdown and buy that Wave kit is exactly when Hasegawa will make their announcement 😛

The Wave kit looks pretty good, I'll admit. But I'm such a monogamous Hasegawa fan, that I'd buy that one first 😆. Plus i still have a  Retppu and Musasiya VF-4 ,each in 1/72. So.. no hurry for the Wave. Lol. 

54 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

I never even knew there was a resin kit of that shuttle hopper!  Nice one can't wait to see you build it up.

Yes! It was offered here on MW several years ago. In multiple scales. And even painted , as an option! I'm really keen to see if anyone went that route. For mine, I'll probably do something different ( for me) and stick really close to the original DYRL paint scheme.

8 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Thanks @wm cheng ! My next VF-4 (i have a second Hobbyexpro) will be the "Blue Roses" scheme . What do you call this camo pattern "flek tarn"?  I've got the stencils already and the water slides.E7883C6E-3F3B-43A8-BA15-FECDBE66C5A2.jpeg.238fb0320d7904eeffde63d28176352a.jpeg

The Wave kit looks pretty good, I'll admit. But I'm such a monogamous Hasegawa fan, that I'd buy that one first 😆. Plus i still have a  Retppu and Musasiya VF-4 ,each in 1/72. So.. no hurry for the Wave. Lol. 

Yes! It was offered here on MW several years ago. In multiple scales. And even painted , as an option! I'm really keen to see if anyone went that route. For mine, I'll probably do something different ( for me) and stick really close to the original DYRL paint scheme.

"Fleck Tarn" is used by the German army. Translates to "spot camoflage".

7 minutes ago, Urashiman said:

"Fleck Tarn" is used by the German army. Translates to "spot camoflage".

Ah so. Thanks for that @Urashiman 👍🏼 I just checked my stencils, out of curiosity . Here's the two (that i have) side by side. The stencils on the left look closer to the "Blue Roses" pattern,  IMO. I Couldn't find the original zip lock with label, and I don't recall what it's called, though. As you can see , I've used them once, already. Flecktarn (at least that's what Fallout Hobbies is calling it) is the unused set on the right(obviously). 6A406946-61F2-4174-8899-23D8614DEE02.jpeg.e4895679afe73ff0a77df37ddd947648.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Ah so. Thanks for that @Urashiman 👍🏼 I just checked my stencils, out of curiosity . Here's the two (that i have) side by side. The stencils on the left look closer to the "Blue Roses" pattern,  IMO. I Couldn't find the original zip lock with label, and I don't recall what it's called, though. As you can see , I've used them once, already. Flecktarn (at least that's what Fallout Hobbies is calling it) is the unused set on the right(obviously). 6A406946-61F2-4174-8899-23D8614DEE02.jpeg.e4895679afe73ff0a77df37ddd947648.jpeg

Yeah, the one one the left is Hex Camo style, the one on the right looks more like flecktarn. Flecktarn is more like splattering drops onto your stuff.

4 hours ago, Bolt said:

Some more standing Rabbit pilots for your build.  Lynn and Hikaru rabbits!

Can also serve as deck crew.

Screenshot2023-02-2416_22_23.png.4639a85c57f787db2cbe92792d1ff7cd.png

Screenshot2023-02-2416_22_48.png.69022868954c92574c0388135621ace0.png

3 hours ago, arbit said:

Some more standing Rabbit pilots for your build.  Lynn and Hikaru rabbits!

Can also serve as deck crew.

Screenshot2023-02-2416_22_23.png.4639a85c57f787db2cbe92792d1ff7cd.png

Screenshot2023-02-2416_22_48.png.69022868954c92574c0388135621ace0.png

Awesome! For some reason I can't add any more reactions today  :aggressive: So here's an emoji ! :good:BTW , I'm happy to see that the Rabbit comes with 4 additional seats, aside from the pilot and co pilot. I'm hoping to use some of your seated figures for those:yahoo:

19 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Wow! @Bolt those look fantastic.  Love the splinter camo scheme.  I keep holding my breath for Hasegawa to make a VF-4, I'm sure when I breakdown and buy that Wave kit is exactly when Hasegawa will make their announcement 😛  I never even knew there was a resin kit of that shuttle hopper!  Nice one can't wait to see you build it up.

Same here, if only because the Wave is just so dang pricey!

Typhoon got a coat of Mr Surfacer 1500 Black this morning. Only one sliiight minor issue to report.... the poorly designed bow planes that were very loosely together inside on plastic mesh gears came loose and fell off inside the sub... yeh. Now it's a rattle trap for all time.. LOL. I knew I should have picked an angle and glued them but ohhhh no... they'll move on the teeth of the gears like a Tomcat model if you leave them!..... yeh right.... Off to the styrene stash I go! 

20230226_120454.jpg

12 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Typhoon got a coat of Mr Surfacer 1500 Black this morning. Only one sliiight minor issue to report.... the poorly designed bow planes that were very loosely together inside on plastic mesh gears came loose and fell off inside the sub... yeh. Now it's a rattle trap for all time.. LOL. I knew I should have picked an angle and glued them but ohhhh no... they'll move on the teeth of the gears like a Tomcat model if you leave them!..... yeh right.... Off to the styrene stash I go! 

20230226_120454.jpg

Oo. That's a bit frustrating @derex3592 , but she still looks like silent death. Great job !

When I was a kid growing up in the 80s I would go to work with my mom a couple of mornings a week in the summers, she worked at a small church as their secretary out on the west side of Fort Worth. It was a small building that Sat on a couple of acres of land so there was lots of room for a kid to roam around. The best part about all this was it was directly in the flight path of the KC-135s, T-38s/ F-16s but MOST impressively the BUFFS! The B-52s all doing touch and goes out of Carswell AFB / General Dynamics now Lockheed Martin (they share runways) right over my head at the church! I loved it. Loud and proud! 'MERICA! They just were soooo huge and awesome. My dad also took me to the airshows where I could get up close to them. That was epic!  I saw reviews of this kit about a year or so ago and all signs said it was great, so we shall see... eventually! 

20230226_171722.jpg

5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

20230226_120454.jpg

One thing you can try is threading a piece of masking tape into the slot and rattle the ship around a bit. You might get the part(s) to stick to it and then draw the tape carefully back out. It may take a couple of tries, but I've used it before to rescue tapped parts lose inside a model.

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

When I was a kid growing up in the 80s I would go to work with my mom a couple of mornings a week in the summers, she worked at a small church as their secretary out on the west side of Fort Worth. It was a small building that Sat on a couple of acres of land so there was lots of room for a kid to roam around. The best part about all this was it was directly in the flight path of the KC-135s, T-38s/ F-16s but MOST impressively the BUFFS! The B-52s all doing touch and goes out of Carswell AFB / General Dynamics now Lockheed Martin (they share runways) right over my head at the church! I loved it. Loud and proud! 'MERICA! They just were soooo huge and awesome. My dad also took me to the airshows where I could get up close to them. That was epic!  I saw reviews of this kit about a year or so ago and all signs said it was great, so we shall see... eventually! 

20230226_171722.jpg

Another big boy :) looking forward to seeing more.

So here's the pilot for the VF-4. A mix of DYRL and M3 style. The pilot for this kit is definitely a DYRL mold , as opposed to the VF-4 pilot suit. F62F7B3F-F132-4DFB-BC44-5E9ED06BD506.jpeg.e4464ad1a438f49126b2d58e3b4dce40.jpeg5FE46D22-E02B-4B18-863F-F876B9A0048A.jpeg.51a2af1fa57100625db79f6406e27a4f.jpeg
Furthermore , I'm still playing with the Moscato 1/72 Tomahawk. I had problems with the primer and masking. Gonna try to salvage it. This is the battle damaged version kit .2A4D83F0-7CDD-4682-8844-A2C1C63959C3.jpeg.cd255468befc9d504c841877d88bb576.jpeg

See you space Cowboys next Deculture 💫

@derex3592 The October is looking incredible! But the Dallas will find her a lot easier now. @pengbuzz has a good idea there. But if that doesn't work you could put a puddle of glue inside it and try and at least get the piece stuck. As for the B-25, I've seen a few of those go together, and it comes out very impressive.

That's a great looking pilot @Bolt He looks ready to turn-n-burn!'

33 minutes ago, Thom said:

@derex3592 The October is looking incredible! But the Dallas will find her a lot easier now. @pengbuzz has a good idea there. But if that doesn't work you could put a puddle of glue inside it and try and at least get the piece stuck.

make sure it's not model cement, though; otherwise it could eat through the hull! O.O

13 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

make sure it's not model cement, though; otherwise it could eat through the hull! O.O

Very good point!!!!:clapping:If you can't get the piece out the Pengway, then a big puddle of elmers glue into a spot where the part would settle would be best.

Or, leave it and when you are done and cruising it around the room, you can recreate the scene where the caterpillar fails by giving it a good shake!😃

Edited by Thom

16 minutes ago, Thom said:

Very good point!!!!:clapping:If you can't get the piece out the Pengway, then a big puddle of elmers glue into a spot where the part would settle would be best.

Or, leave it and when you are done and cruising it around the room, you can recreate the scene where the caterpillar fails by giving it a good shake!😃

Another way is that he could open the caterpillar doors and in the process get them out that way.

3 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Time to close the canopy before I spend even more time with the pilot & the HUD. The frame is made from the kit parts, but fixing the acetate pieces in place took hours.

52723432456_92b8cd432b_c.jpg

That looks beautiful! Your efforts really shine bright @electric indigo !

Here's a little update on the workbench. The Super Lancer is almost ready for decals. A bit more touch up and a gloss coat first.B1916B70-15C5-494B-97A5-F9133DA317E0.jpeg.89176ce1d49ab694c42bf2839ccfe998.jpeg

Also more painting on Bretai.E150DD17-4F59-4B1B-8F6F-4D5A1582C9E8.jpeg.352921a53a7d7d3ce929935f85ab9e30.jpeg

Here's a pic next to the Enigma VF-4. For that 1/72 reference. It will be interesting to see how he scales with the Moscato 1/72 Kamjin.44C3DE98-0189-4BE6-B60D-019AE54B314A.jpeg.1419d8b0695fb28316d51e1ff9b228b2.jpeg

Speaking  of VF-4. The pilot is finished. And i did rearranging the load out . But I'm not sure it looks better 😅. I did cut the pylons down , in order to snug up the ordinance. Here's the results. What do you guys think?

New look-F62D0A5B-BA7B-4414-B610-99D9D49F2E39.jpeg.cf9fb1a83187088fdc4b270f99982b6b.jpeg

Old look-C2546A67-C395-48AE-8C9D-8AFF5229AD04.jpeg.46d3d547f2ee0a9042421dfb26bd6ed2.jpeg

Here's a close up of the gunpod, before i cut down the pylon. I wanted a realistic solution for how it mounts, and functions.  So i made the pistol grip fold down, so the pylon can clamp the lower and trigger guard of the gunpod.FD8F06DC-FCB7-49BB-87E5-3F483196D0E1.jpeg.827297dcd96c04bc53c113599835df4e.jpeg

That's all for now. Thanks for beaming in! See you Space Cowboys next Deculture  :hi:

So much cool Macross stuff!! I can contribute too! Just landed yesterday on my porch! Also picked up my 1st GSI Creos Mr Hobby airbrush. Went with a. 2 for fine detail work. New but no packeging from Sprayguner - Like $85 shipped! Can't wait to try it out! 

20230303_174700.jpg