Jump to content

Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV


Urashiman

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Thom said:

Nice fixes Peng. This is a blast from the past. I remember wanting one of these so badly when I was kid. The closest I got is having my nephew's sitting in a box in the attic, and with most of it not there!:lol:

Thanks Thom! I also repainted the red on the chest, as that was a sticker as well (Trendmasters really "cheaped out" on this one!)

BTW: did ya ever get the card I sent ya?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2018 at 8:38 PM, pengbuzz said:

Thanks Thom! I also repainted the red on the chest, as that was a sticker as well (Trendmasters really "cheaped out" on this one!)

BTW: did ya ever get the card I sent ya?

DUDE, yes, and thank you! It's sitting up on the shelf with the other cards. A very pleasant surprise. I especially like the VF-1 you drew in there. Very nice.

I hope you had a great Christmas and an awesome New Year!

Edited by Thom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm, 2017 Record, huh?

I still have more undone than done, but looking back I guess I had a good year.

Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1D

Grrkrin.jpg

Tamiya 1/48 Ki-46 Dinah

ZdRCSz9.jpg

Bandai 1/1000 Kirishima

qppif4Z.jpg

And what I call the Iscandarian Protectorate Fleet ships, also Bandai 1/1000 from SBY 2199

First is the flagship Aeber'carin  and escorts.

d79ZOWw.jpg

And the secondary command ship, the Galla'heiren.

9T25dWL.jpg

 

Actually wish I'd gotten more done this year...:wacko:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/2/2018 at 7:15 PM, Thom said:

DUDE, yes, and thank you! It's sitting up on the shelf with the other cards. A very pleasant surprise. I especially like the VF-1 you drew in there. Very nice.

I hope you had a great Christmas and an awesome New Year!

I did! Thanks so much!  I hope likewise for you and your family! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I did! Thanks so much!  I hope likewise for you and your family! :D

We did, thanks!

 

18 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Thom, do you have more pics of the Ki-46?

Yeah, sure. Here's the build log on IMGUR

https://imgur.com/a/BOPHc

 

On 1/2/2018 at 11:49 PM, arbit said:

Those are so cool! Wherever did you get the idea?

I was just thinking of an alternate scheme, which lead to the thought of a specialized fleet with the singular purpose of defending Iscandar from any threat. Considering that Iscandar is a 'holy' place to the Gamillas, I went for a white scheme for the ships, with the gold band denoting the flagship and the silver for its executive command ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Thom said:

I was just thinking of an alternate scheme, which lead to the thought of a specialized fleet with the singular purpose of defending Iscandar from any threat. Considering that Iscandar is a 'holy' place to the Gamillas, I went for a white scheme for the ships, with the gold band denoting the flagship and the silver for its executive command ship.

You need to display those with a Starsha figure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2018 at 5:39 AM, arbit said:

In which I finished the Nautilus and accessories. Happy new year!

5a4e042097e7c_2018-01-0414_32_59.thumb.jpg.23c18fbe63ca666446d67f1369cf320a.jpg

 

I only saw the original series of Nadia, but those look sweet!

 

17 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Awesome! Thanks for the ride.

You're very welcome. And thank you!

 

16 hours ago, arbit said:

You need to display those with a Starsha figure.

I'd need to get Starsha figure... Of course, now that's an idea...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back at it today for the first time in a long time  Nice quite rainy Sunday afternoon, the details on these SW Bandai kits never ceases to impress. The eye piece they included is outstanding. I could never paint those. Painted everything on the sprue this time around. to many tiny parts to take off then paint. TS-6, TS-33, TS-46 and Model Master Gun Metal (Airbrush) Metalizer, (which sprays beautifully by the way right out of the bottle) because the hobby shop was out of Tamiya Gun Metal TS.....More to come! 

20180107_153306.jpg

20180107_153625.jpg

20180107_154057.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great stuff guys! I never finished anything last year (except my Graphics Communications degree):D  I almost finished my ship, but the weather froze up preventing me from painting. The lake is frozen over anyhow so I would need an R/C icebreaker to do anything. I've almost finished a 1/100 Gundam Gusion. I built it without the frame and built joints into it. The frame will be used for the Gusion Rabake version instead. 2 kits for the price of one! - MT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys, 

Got a second hand Yamato Garland for Christmas that i was super happy with. Sadly when I went to transform it saw one of the shoulder joints was broken, and the other was on it's way out - so snapped with only the tiniest of movements. So I thought i'd use my newly found 3D sketch up skills to make some replacement parts! Attached below was my fix - did have to shave off a little bit here and there to make it fit but nothing major. I actually quite like the white - makes it look slightly like a go faster stripe haha. Anyway, i was going to amend and upload the parts to shapeways for everyone, as i didn't find anyone that had fixed it beforehand. Then, this morning, just as i'm about to type this post, i thought 'i'm sure someone has done this on shapeways'  and on an old old post here and found someone had! They just spelt 'Garland' as 'Garrand' so that's why i didn't find it originally on shapways and even have it available in red. So I will probably order that and install to see the difference. But hey, i thought i'd post up my photos anyway. Cheers

 

Fix_01.jpg

Fix_02.jpg

Fix_03.jpg

Fix_04.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah Shapeways can do it in metal - but the cost goes up a bit... from £3 to £9 per piece actually on my file - so not too bad. I was after a cheap solution. Also I'll need to read up on the material restrictions better if metal is wanted... as some of them have different minimum printing widths etc. But i think the part being light (in weight) and having a bit of flex helps. 

Shapeways could do it in 18k Gold too if you really wanted ;-)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2018 at 3:47 AM, Tage said:

Hey guys, 

Got a second hand Yamato Garland for Christmas that i was super happy with. Sadly when I went to transform it saw one of the shoulder joints was broken, and the other was on it's way out - so snapped with only the tiniest of movements. So I thought i'd use my newly found 3D sketch up skills to make some replacement parts! Attached below was my fix - did have to shave off a little bit here and there to make it fit but nothing major. I actually quite like the white - makes it look slightly like a go faster stripe haha. Anyway, i was going to amend and upload the parts to shapeways for everyone, as i didn't find anyone that had fixed it beforehand. Then, this morning, just as i'm about to type this post, i thought 'i'm sure someone has done this on shapeways'  and on an old old post here and found someone had! They just spelt 'Garland' as 'Garrand' so that's why i didn't find it originally on shapways and even have it available in red. So I will probably order that and install to see the difference. But hey, i thought i'd post up my photos anyway. Cheers

 

Fix_01.jpg

Fix_02.jpg

Fix_03.jpg

Fix_04.jpg

Now you just need a decal on the side of it that says "Judy" lol.

Seriously though, very nice!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2018 at 1:34 PM, derex3592 said:

good progress for day one of the build.. .. 

20180107_213309.jpg

 

Looks like a great build.

 

Question though about the Micro Sol you have in the photo - this is the stuff that sucks in the waterslide decals hard onto the surface?  Does it mean that using this stuff, there's no requirement for top coating the kit to keep the waterslides on long-term?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dero said:

Question though about the Micro Sol you have in the photo - this is the stuff that sucks in the waterslide decals hard onto the surface?  Does it mean that using this stuff, there's no requirement for top coating the kit to keep the waterslides on long-term?

I have used Mark Setter for decals on toys/models that I didn't want to top coat. With regular handling they will not come off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, arbit said:

I have used Mark Setter for decals on toys/models that I didn't want to top coat. With regular handling they will not come off.

I'm a little confused with this product - so the Mark Setter is the bottle with the blue markings?

This bottle with the red markings is meant to remove the decals?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, dero said:

I'm a little confused with this product - so the Mark Setter is the bottle with the blue markings?

This bottle with the red markings is meant to remove the decals?

No, I am referring to a different product called Mr. Mark Setter.

The image above is of a different brand called Micro Sol that I have not tried in the way you want, so I can't vouch for it. But Micro Sol is definitely great for decals.

Neither are to remove: one is to set decals, and one is a solvent for a different use, to shrink the decal to conform to uneven surfaces. 

Google a "how to" in youtube.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, arbit said:

No, I am referring to a different product called Mr. Mark Setter.

The image above is of a different brand called Micro Sol that I have not tried in the way you want, so I can't vouch for it. But Micro Sol is definitely great for decals.

Neither are to remove: one is to set decals, and one is a solvent for a different use, to shrink the decal to conform to uneven surfaces. 

Google a "how to" in youtube.

Got it.  Thank you for the clarification!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

actually the blue bottle, Micro Set, is useful for removing them as well. Directions for decal removal are on the back.

Edited by NZEOD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aah ok.

I'll end up getting a Mr. Mark Setter and a Mr. Mark Softer bottle instead of the Micro-Sol pair now.  I looked up a YouTube video and they seemed to work easily enough.

  1. Apply Mark Setter onto location
  2. Slide decal onto location
  3. Mop up excess
  4. Apply Mark Softer onto top of decal

This will be good for those kits which have a nice surface finish on them to avoid ruining them with the use of a top coat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Make sure you practice your method with some older decals on an older scrap kit if you have one, all decals are not the same and depending on the thickness, it can be tricky using the decal solutions properly, especially over contoured or raised surfaces. Just my .02 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

Make sure you practice your method with some older decals on an older scrap kit if you have one, all decals are not the same and depending on the thickness, it can be tricky using the decal solutions properly, especially over contoured or raised surfaces. Just my .02 

Excellent advice, I've always found decals different from every manufacturer.  However, Bandai decals seem indestructible yet brittle, they seem impervious to MicroSET/SOL and Mr. Set/Softer - at least the old VF-25 kits were that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been working on this, 1/1000 U.S.S Ares from the defunct Axanar project.

6786D3D4-5E04-450B-8FF1-CBEA48EDF079.thumb.jpeg.426045d47a80996cc182e786510ccfd1.jpeg

 

CD32FC8F-1061-4CE2-AE4E-4C2D2446F856.thumb.jpeg.d3b03bdb5811b509e6cabebe8fe02e2b.jpeg

 

11B34256-3F9E-46D0-8A8F-AB7F9DAC965D.thumb.jpeg.857379013b59cbdc6c8580f0a84a5a90.jpeg

 

E06F1977-3B44-4AF6-8F23-A3BA6217EE07.thumb.jpeg.9a2c1211c86704dacb8befbe725f2d9e.jpeg

 

F6A77D25-2042-4B34-ADFF-8C4C52D4F258.thumb.jpeg.dc273968db818fd1c82e20370dbf9d00.jpeg

The paneling was done by hand with artist pencils as seen in the first picture. No decals.

Chris

 

 

Edited by Dobber
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...