Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

24 minutes ago, Hiryu said:

Sure. Here are some pics I found on the web. It has a stretchy, plasticy feel to it. It will allow you to make some pretty tight curves depending on which size tape you use. The adhesion is really good. The paint lines look really sharp after removing the tape. No issues with seepage.

tamiya-87184-tamiya-masking-tape-for-curves-12-mm-reel-20m.jpg.28e4fba3070a036c11a01eec6f28baea.jpg21-87179_2.jpg.4a38cbcba0ff0c8a6bc80a05d5317a8b.jpg

Awesome! Thanks!  TOTALLY getting some of that! 

I have tried this tape and don't see any advantages over the regular Tamiya masking tape. The white tape is stiffer, making it unusable on uneven surfaces or where you have to cross raised or recessed details. If you cut thin stripes from the yellow tape, you can make it follow curved contours as well.

Thanks 505th!  Feels good to get your hands dirty sometimes..however...this is the part I hate most about resin kits..the prep cleaning stage. I would seriously pay more to have the parts prepped and sent to me ready to primer and paint from the makers of the kits.  Trying to do justice to Cap's kit, but I've already had some oopses when trimming and sanding down some of the wing parts, putty will be needed! I'm still deciding if I want to go gear up "in flight" as seen in the anime, or gear down on a nice runway base of some kind.  I'm not going for anything super fancy on the paint scheme, just more or less what was seen in SDF. 

Edited by derex3592

5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I'm not going for anything super fancy on the paint scheme, just more or less what was seen in SDF. 

And that's how it should be.

11 hours ago, derex3592 said:

...this is the part I hate most about resin kits..the prep cleaning stage. I would seriously pay more to have the parts prepped and sent to me ready to primer and paint from the makers of the kits.

I felt exactly the same when preparing the resin parts for my Madcat Battlemech some months ago. While trying to get the parts fit into each other new holes of air bubbles showed up all the time and wanted to be filled up again. Most horrible kit I worked on ever. But in the end the outcome was worth all the dirt and dust. And surely your model will look great and unique!

That looks great CrossAir! It's a nice clean build!

Derex, hopefully you have a mask on when machining those parts out. The resin dust is REALLY nasty stuff and I fell for you having to cut that stuff out. It's a drag!

I covered the Tequila Gunner with a similar "splotched" color to create a dirty, sandy effect. I think I went overboard though. What do you guys think? Got the sandbags washed and painted. Nearly done... - MT

0304181434b.jpg

On 3/3/2018 at 11:25 PM, CrossAir said:

Final version of my Bandai VF-25 er YF-25 1/100 custom:

The white inkjet waterslide decals were easy to handle, too. I'm very satisfied with the result. Now I have also a Valkyrie small enough to sit aside of my bed ^_^

Lovely paint finish. What were your paint coats to get that?

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

I covered the Tequila Gunner with a similar "splotched" color to create a dirty, sandy effect. I think I went overboard though. What do you guys think? Got the sandbags washed and painted. Nearly done... - MT

Overboard? No, no, that looks just plain awesome. A beautiful finish.

Edited by arbit

1 hour ago, arbit said:

Lovely paint finish. What were your paint coats to get that?

I took to runs of white color (mix of flat and glossy white) on the main fuselage. Orange and blue color I did in a single third run on the prepainted white surfaces. the intakes and engine section are painted in two runs of orange separately as well as the wings. Finally a coat of semi gloss clear for the finish. An advantage of this kit is that its parts fit quite well out of the box and half of the parts of different color of the fuselage could be painted separately.

Nice Prophecy and great start on the Cat's Eye. I have one too that I have yet to finish.

My current project is one that has been sitting on the shelf for a year, stalled at the paint stage. Back on it now!

The Mercury class Battlestar Galactica.

agw1e7d.jpg

13 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

damn you guys!!! I JUST started rewatching the new BSG again a few nights ago and you have to go and post that pic!!! I never built the Pegasus, but damn it is a sweet looking ship isn't it?!:good:

SSWA! If you ever decide to purchase a Pegasus kit, it will not be your last. It's big, heavy, detailed and frakking awesome! B))

Love the look of the Pegasus even more than the nuGalactica!

But as Han would say, "I've made few special modifications myself..."

The head has been cut down and she has full size flight pods top and bottom (whereas the original kit has smaller pods on the bottom side), along with doubled-up Viper launchers sandwiched in between.

XRqi3OS.jpg

Edited by Thom

34 minutes ago, Thom said:

Love the look of the Pegasus even more than the nuGalactica!

But as Han would say, "I've made few special modifications myself..."

The head has been cut down and she has full size flight pods top and bottom (whereas the original kit has smaller pods on the bottom side), along with doubled-up Viper launchers sandwiched in between.

XRqi3OS.jpg

Like the mods you did. I've built both the nuGalatica and the Pegasus kits. Pegasus is my fav of the two. Seeing this and with me having an extra nuGalatica kit I might (as in on the drawing board of my many, many, maaaannnyy other modeling projects) see about converting it to one of the mini-battlestars from the deadlock game. Just have to figure out which one...

Great build these past couple of months guys. Keep it up..

I am working on an old hard to find kit myself.. Valhalla III camouflage repaint..

And a 1/700 battroid in styrene to go along

37EA8FC6-18F9-44A0-934E-1E505D42591A.jpeg

Sweet looking Valhalla!

And those ships from the BSG Deadlock game looking very cool. I especially like the Adamant. And the Jupiter class are different in it, in that they have extra pod arms and different armor lay-outs.

20 hours ago, Thom said:

Sweet looking Valhalla!

And those ships from the BSG Deadlock game looking very cool. I especially like the Adamant. And the Jupiter class are different in it, in that they have extra pod arms and different armor lay-outs.

The Adamant is the work-horse of my current playthrough.... might be neat to make one.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, CrossAir said:

IMG_2444.thumb.jpg.4c777fd0828161fbe20c9e6fc67b7d65.jpg

The white inkjet waterslide decals were easy to handle, too. I'm very satisfied with the result. Now I have also a Valkyrie small enough to sit aside of my bed ^_^

This is just such a gorgeous paint scheme on this plane.  Agreed on the 1/100 kits too, I bought a ton of them to customize, and they're a joy to put together.  I'm planning a few custom schemes, and I might actually make a variant of this one in the original real world colors. :) 

3 hours ago, Focslain said:

The Adamant is the work-horse of my current playthrough.... might be neat to make one.

I like that one too. If you use the Face, go to Colonial Fleet Shipyards. They have plans for an Adamant, I believe in 1/4105 to match the Moebius kits. They also have the Berzerk, a Gunstar, the Prometheus and others. There's a wait though. Lovely kits, but they take forever to arrive.  It's a closed group, but you just have to ask for an invite.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/531852053591027/?ref=br_rs

On 3/6/2018 at 12:00 AM, 007-vf1 said:

I am working on an old hard to find kit myself.. Valhalla III camouflage repaint..

That's a rare choice! I had to google to find out it is Macross!

On 3/5/2018 at 3:41 AM, MechTech said:

That looks great CrossAir! It's a nice clean build!

Derex, hopefully you have a mask on when machining those parts out. The resin dust is REALLY nasty stuff and I fell for you having to cut that stuff out. It's a drag!

0304181434b.jpg

Awesome work, MechTech! That custom work is fantastic, and the paint work is superb!

23 hours ago, electric indigo said:

You can't have too many thrusters...

26784826708_8b8ce02b2b_z.jpg

Wow! I'm afraid my boosterlust is completely inadequate by comparison. :lol: Great work!

Looks like it's gonna take a while to have all the parts printed on this guy, but so far, so good.

DSCI0886a.jpg.9bf67c6fda1451813956c5c866208e15.jpg

On 3/3/2018 at 1:25 PM, CrossAir said:

IMG_2444.thumb.jpg.4c777fd0828161fbe20c9e6fc67b7d65.jpg

IMG_2452.thumb.jpg.c1b4f985891738172be8a42d5e67116e.jpg

That is spot on to the Bandai DX (if not better). You did a superb job, congrats! 

2 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

That is spot on to the Bandai DX (if not better). You did a superb job, congrats! 

Thanks. I'm still surprised about the result as I kept this kit aside for years and had no intention to build it. But right after applying the white scheme on the orange wings it got me and now I'm a bit angry about myself as I could have done it even better (I have to admit the lower surface did not get as well as the upper one - luckily you don't see the flaws on display ;)). And in direct comparison I miss the panel lines on the DX. Thinking about adding these on my DXs' too?! <_<

2 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

+1

And I have no idea how you guys paint like that. I'm painting my valk white right now, and it looks nothing like that :blink:

007 - I like the Valhalla. I almost did that in 1/200 scale because of its size and cool design.

That's looking great Electric Indigo! I always wondered what's the deal with all those thrusters on that design. I had the first version model back in the day...

UN Marine, what method are you going to use to clean up the bias on the printed parts? It's a big job, but I think your mod is coming along nicely!

Alright, be prepared to write down my secret paint formula.

1. Get a model in the right color already.

2. Build carefully without leaving any physical seems. Polish up the seems so they are as smooth as the surrounding plastic.

3. Clean and decal up your model. Use softener to make your decals hug the model.

3. Buy or mix (I mixed) a color that is matt and slightly darker than the plastic.

4. Splotch the paint on with a sponge or old sock. I'm high-tech - I used an old sock. Splotch heavily over the joints to cover them.

5. Wet the sock with isopropyl and splotch it out some more to spread around. Cover the decals a little with the thinned splotched paint.

6. Wipe the edges and wear areas off of any paint to simulate wear. Seal with a matt coating if you need to protect it.

7. Enjoy all the time and money you saved NOT priming and painting your model!

Still deciding if I want to matt clear coat this. It takes away depth from the "dirt." - MT

On 2/9/2018 at 1:06 AM, CrossAir said:

Yes, due to its size you can really go for details. But nowadays I‘d like to get a Valkyrie at this size which I could hang down the ceiling (like I did with the Tamiya F14 those days)

Speaking of Tomcats, I recently came back to a project that had been pretty much dead in the water:

101_1392.thumb.JPG.5b57d4e086b3ed68079107178bca6689.JPG

This one had suffered a serious disaster with it's canopy shattering on me (and some other stuff going wrong). After searching around and asking folks if anyone had a canopy for this, I was about ready just to throw it away (I was not interested in doing a "wrecked" version, as this had been a very meaningful birthday gift that meant a lot to me).

Losing this one really hurt, so much so I was pretty much in tears over it.

Having exhausted all possible answers (I asked on here, Facebook and other places),I finally contacted Round2 Models. While I was hoping they had the canopy parts I needed,  I didn't have much hope: I didn't see the model available on their store anymore, and could not find it in the brick and mortars I went to anywhere.

That was December of last year I put in the request.

3 weeks ago, I got a box from Auto World, with a new canopy AND an interesting "sheet" that had wax paper over it.

2 days ago, this crystallized:

105_0333.thumb.JPG.7988a8d97f26172d11673911db16cdd9.JPG

105_0334.thumb.JPG.298bb49bd5f67f4f8dec469dc040a4ca.JPG

105_0336.thumb.JPG.58e6e625ed6e99af124ed27af440f697.JPG

105_0339.thumb.JPG.2297d6988d674b07b3d34eb69c2e92df.JPG

Then I got really bored and started thinking of stuff to add:

105_0341.thumb.JPG.fb74388d9e70c96fcc64b0bb63c6b48d.JPG

Stay tuned folks...

Edited by pengbuzz
correcting pictures

10 hours ago, MechTech said:

UN Marine, what method are you going to use to clean up the bias on the printed parts? It's a big job, but I think your mod is coming along nicely!

Alright, be prepared to write down my secret paint formula.

1. Get a model in the right color already.

2. Build carefully without leaving any physical seems. Polish up the seems so they are as smooth as the surrounding plastic.

3. Clean and decal up your model. Use softener to make your decals hug the model.

3. Buy or mix (I mixed) a color that is matt and slightly darker than the plastic.

4. Splotch the paint on with a sponge or old sock. I'm high-tech - I used an old sock. Splotch heavily over the joints to cover them.

5. Wet the sock with isopropyl and splotch it out some more to spread around. Cover the decals a little with the thinned splotched paint.

6. Wipe the edges and wear areas off of any paint to simulate wear. Seal with a matt coating if you need to protect it.

7. Enjoy all the time and money you saved NOT priming and painting your model!

Still deciding if I want to matt clear coat this. It takes away depth from the "dirt." - MT

It'll be a rough road ahead, with tons of filler and sanding!

The large parts will be the worst of it, because of the print orientation - at least the small parts are a lot smoother (on the outside).

Thanks for the painting tips! -  I always appreciate new and different ways of doing things! :D