Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

UPDATE:

While waiting on supplies for Reliant ( Plastic Welder and Purple Power to properly clean the mold release from the Reliant correction kit ), I decided to try something with Airwolf to get a windshield on it:

100_0454.JPG.441e02c36a57fead33474f90fba089a0.JPG 100_0455.JPG.3320d928697fc2194bc5fcb61444a437.JPG

It's a modification of my original idea for mounting the windscreen and windows, but using what little Plastic Welder I have left to tack the windows in place, followed by hot melt glue and tape to finish the seals. All that's left is the two lower windows at the bottom of the nose and that part is done.

Overall progress on Airwolf:

100_0456.JPG.1f277f20a5f5012d6c46e99ec6f346ab.JPG

I started doing more of the overall masking tape layer, limited to one layer in most places so it doesn't "bog up" details. This will provide a uniform surface for the primer, as well as cover over the dings and dents in the die-cast. At this point, the top and bottom halves of the helicopter are sealed and the piece is now one contiguous unit. After mounting the lower windows, I simply need to make the rear rotor, cut the slots of the landing gear on the undersides of the sponsons, decide on the weapons, and mount the turbo boost nozzles aft of the sponsons and the exhausts up top.

Stay tuned.... Airwolf will be back in a moment...

Grungy JLTV is complete. Starting to work on some stowage. Doors are not glued on. Will likely have at least a couple of them open once I settle on a diorama idea.

Had a moment of horror just before I started weathering. I was squeezing some white paint out of one of those Valejo bottles onto a pallet and had the model too close. Opening had some dried paint on it that let loose and squirted white paint on the model. I quickly was able to remove most of it, but not entirely. Had to apply some weathering a bit heavier in certain areas to hide what remained. 

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

44 minutes ago, Kurt said:

Grungy JLTV is complete. Starting to work on some stowage. Doors are not glued on. Will likely have at least a couple of them open once I settle on a diorama idea.

Had a moment of horror just before I started weathering. I was squeezing some white paint out of one of those Valejo bottles onto a pallet and had the model too close. Opening had some dried paint on it that let loose and squirted white paint on the model. I quickly was able to remove most of it, but not entirely. Had to apply some weathering a bit heavier in certain areas to hide what remained. 

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

It turned out really great. Nice and muddy. The windshield looks awesome with those wiper streaks 

@pengbuzz The theme song started going through my head the moment I saw your progress! It looks GREAT! The master of Masking Tape is back!

@Kurt That's a PRO looking paint and weathering job! You just need to Photoshop some people in their and it would be hard tell what's real and not! - MT

7 hours ago, Kurt said:

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

Wow @Kurt absolutely stunning!!!

On 3/26/2024 at 5:08 PM, Kurt said:

I check in for a minute to see what's up, and all I see is a masterpiece.

Very nice dirt on that.

I decided to work a bit on my backlog. VF-19A.

Masking masking masking:

IMG_7012.jpeg.822331886123c95b6bb1885a39026e80.jpeg

Airbrush airbrush airbrush:

IMG_7014.jpeg.52b8dba4258c54585f24f3cd6a768c0c.jpeg

Peeling peeling peeling:

IMG_7016.jpeg.07549cbe63291d5b7e86bd72a9c1bfa9.jpeg

YAY!

I decided that I am done with the PLAMAX VF-1. Botched… too man fingerprints and messed up paint job. I ordered a new one and will try again. No pictures as it is too embarrassing. The kid will have a new toy haha.

@electric indigo All those little, exquisite little parts are sure to make something grand!

@Urashiman Sorry about the Plamax VF-1, but there are more out there to buy! As to the VF-19, I'm liking the blue. And that is master-masking!

For me, I don't know what I'm doing anymore! Every time I work on my model it changes shape again. I have no idea what it will be next!!

D0Qd51k.jpeg

4 hours ago, Thom said:

@electric indigo All those little, exquisite little parts are sure to make something grand!

@Urashiman Sorry about the Plamax VF-1, but there are more out there to buy! As to the VF-19, I'm liking the blue. And that is master-masking!

For me, I don't know what I'm doing anymore! Every time I work on my model it changes shape again. I have no idea what it will be next!!

D0Qd51k.jpeg

Those intakes look familiar…

Thanks a lot!

I mean, from far it doesn’t look too bad.

IMG_7020.jpeg.e7c34aed48e8dfc641a8a774c9076a8d.jpeg

IMG_7021.jpeg.d74e047b1c11fa7d14b911f4cc0406d0.jpeg

But I ordered more…

IMG_7022.jpeg.85752280ca64eb7c572a3217eca334b8.jpeg
IMG_7023.jpeg.18b213ce49599d02d4c66f85cdc5c7a1.jpeg

@Rock Your mods are a great improvement over the stock!

@electric indigo That kit has some NICE details molded into it! Mold making for that must have been a bear to do! Your painting is CLEAN as usual.

@Urashiman The -19 is coming along nicely! Your VF-1 (if it REALLY is that bad) is what we call a ten foot model. It looks good 10 feet away😁

@Thom Clean intakes! What will it become...

@pengbuzz The Lady is looking good!😉 - MT

@MechTech pictures were taken from around 1-2 feet away :)

@Thom I built one of these not too long ago :)

Another quick build today. I don’t think I‘ve finished that much kits in such a short time for long.

A star wars kit. Haven’t build one in years.

IMG_7032.jpeg.2855c56bef9919e44d80c6d939f320be.jpeg

IMG_7035.jpeg.a2bdee0d2bd600c4f1aa5201baefdecf.jpeg

IMG_7037.jpeg.a43d5133fa63cbb3faa284f8e5213478.jpeg

IMG_7049.jpeg.c675da8796f6b19eb4fe0b697a666f68.jpeg

IMG_7050.jpeg.be5ab2bf8673d72cddeab03a44efa3c3.jpeg

@Urashiman I remember! It may have subconsciously helped in deciding to build this one. I actually wanted a quick build for a model show coming up in a week. And, except for some fiddly construction, it has been.

That snow speeder is looking real nice, but don't poo-poo the VF-1 too much. She looks like she'll be a nice shelf queen.

I've finished airbrushing my P-38 with gloss white with gloss black panels. When I spray the kit with a silver overcoat, these alternate panels will show through differently.

IMG_0827.JPG.72dcb7f27c2229241468e79591bd0530.JPG

On 3/29/2024 at 9:51 PM, Thom said:

@Urashiman I remember! It may have subconsciously helped in deciding to build this one. I actually wanted a quick build for a model show coming up in a week. And, except for some fiddly construction, it has been.

That snow speeder is looking real nice, but don't poo-poo the VF-1 too much. She looks like she'll be a nice shelf queen.

Yeah. It has been declared accessible for the scion. He likes it.

Now on to the VF-19 front.

Paintjob done, gloss coat applied. Now it needs to cure for 24 hours. Then I can oil color wash it. Then decals after the wash.

IMG_7142.jpeg.26d67c96215a10b8430c5dd492589022.jpeg

IMG_7144.jpeg.3153d9ac906e14e861c66e15c668b6de.jpeg

2 hours ago, Urashiman said:

Yeah. It has been declared accessible for the scion. He likes it.

Now on to the VF-19 front.

Paintjob done, gloss coat applied. Now it needs to cure for 24 hours. Then I can oil color wash it. Then decals after the wash.

IMG_7142.jpeg.26d67c96215a10b8430c5dd492589022.jpeg

IMG_7144.jpeg.3153d9ac906e14e861c66e15c668b6de.jpeg

I usually do the wash after decals and topcoat so the decals get the same weathering and panel lining as the rest of the kit

9 hours ago, Big s said:

I usually do the wash after decals and topcoat so the decals get the same weathering and panel lining as the rest of the kit

I‘d do that too, but I am super horrible at washing. Last time I did that killed my decals.

1 hour ago, Urashiman said:

I‘d do that too, but I am super horrible at washing. Last time I did that killed my decals.

Did you put a top coat on the decals after they were applied?

23 hours ago, Big s said:

Did you put a top coat on the decals after they were applied?

yep ... but the turpentine got through it too easily and killed everything. There are also other crazy methods when it comes to decals.
1. Gloss coat
2. Apply decals
3. Gloss coat
4. Sand decals, and carefully sand off the clear decal carrier foil
5. Gloss coat again

result: no small edges around the decals.

downpoint: it takes ages, so I am not doing it. haha

1 hour ago, Urashiman said:

yep ... but the turpentine got through it too easily and killed everything. There are also other crazy methods when it comes to decals.
1. Gloss coat
2. Apply decals
3. Gloss coat
5. Gloss coat again

I usually do gloss then decal, then gloss and a quick light sand and if it still shows then just brush a little gloss around the offfending edge and usually the leveling will make the edges disappear. It really doesn’t take that much time, maybe an hour. I then put the kit off to the side and try to forget about it for a couple days. Then I do the weathering.

5 hours ago, Urashiman said:

1. Gloss coat
2. Apply decals
3. Gloss coat
5. Gloss coat again

Do you use decal solvent, such as Micro-sol?

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

I use it , but if it’s a flat surface and there’s no offending bubbles or anything I sometimes skip it. If there are panels under the decals or rounded surfaces, then it’s pretty much required to get them to conform to the surface shape. I’ve never had to use the microset or any other decal setting solutions yet, but I have some handy just in case the need ever arises.

5 hours ago, Big s said:

I use it , but if it’s a flat surface and there’s no offending bubbles or anything I sometimes skip it. If there are panels under the decals or rounded surfaces, then it’s pretty much required to get them to conform to the surface shape. I’ve never had to use the microset or any other decal setting solutions yet, but I have some handy just in case the need ever arises.

I think microset is just vinegar, anyway. Microsol....not so easy to figure out.

33 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

I think microset is just vinegar, anyway. Microsol....not so easy to figure out.

I’ve never checked. I don’t use it because the decal film usually has a glue, possibly starch and it sticks to the model. I’ve never had a waterslide fall off , but have heard of it happening. That could possibly be due to leaving the decal in water for too long, but I’m not really sure on that. 

8 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Tamiya Mark Setter.

Fiddling with the VF-171 Alto Custom.

Canopy masking; All time favourite.

IMG_7176.jpeg.ba5d6bebaaa899d9df0a58f3b83c983b.jpeg

IMG_7179.jpeg.2171e0c1d7380b0189ce5d012e1396fd.jpeg

1 hour ago, Big s said:

I’ve never checked. I don’t use it because the decal film usually has a glue, possibly starch and it sticks to the model. I’ve never had a waterslide fall off , but have heard of it happening. That could possibly be due to leaving the decal in water for too long, but I’m not really sure on that. 

I've found it to be a variant of white glue myself; I've actually taken decals and "re-basted" them when they failed to stay where I want them.