Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

15 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Looking good!  I want to ask before you get too deep into the TOS kit, have you checked the nacelle alignments?  When I started building mine, I realized the stock tabs/snaps to put the nacelles onto the pylons leave the nacelles rotated at a pretty decent angle (and that's completely separate from any front-to-back alignment issues).

I'm actually thinking I might use some scrap lumber and build a jig for the ship, to hold the nacelles in place once glued.

@Chronocidal- uhhhgggg -- no, I haven't built the nacelles yet, but I'll make sure to check that now....thanks for the heads up. I swear, I can only dream that some day Bandai will make us new FROM SCRATCH proper Star Trek ships...NO one else has gotten it right so far to my knowledge on the older Enterprise kits..(that being said, I'm not sure about the new 1/350 kits, I hear those ARE nice, but waaaaaaay to BIG for me)

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

@Chronocidal- uhhhgggg -- no, I haven't built the nacelles yet, but I'll make sure to check that now....thanks for the heads up. I swear, I can only dream that some day Bandai will make us new FROM SCRATCH proper Star Trek ships...NO one else has gotten it right so far to my knowledge on the older Enterprise kits..(that being said, I'm not sure about the new 1/350 kits, I hear those ARE nice, but waaaaaaay to BIG for me)

Yeah, the snaps for the nacelles are a little sloppy, and can cause some alignment issues along the axis of the nacelle.  It's definitely not too late to fix that, since you can make sure the halves align properly before assembling them.  One thing you might want to consider is clipping out the mounts inside the nacelles, and making a new mount.  

Bandai's pre-painted Refit was probably the best small-scale version of that design, but the Polar Lights one is a really good kit.  The 1/350 kits are incredibly good, but yes, they're far too big.  The 1/1000 ones are pretty much an ideal size, but the snap-together construction causes a lot of issues.

Unfortunately, I think the TOS design actually has some of the most subtle shaping and details that no one seems to get.  There's so little detail on the ship as a whole, it makes it hard to recognize what might need fixing.  There just aren't a lot of panel lines or details to give you good reference points.

19 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, the snaps for the nacelles are a little sloppy, and can cause some alignment issues along the axis of the nacelle.  It's definitely not too late to fix that, since you can make sure the halves align properly before assembling them.  One thing you might want to consider is clipping out the mounts inside the nacelles, and making a new mount.  

Bandai's pre-painted Refit was probably the best small-scale version of that design, but the Polar Lights one is a really good kit.  The 1/350 kits are incredibly good, but yes, they're far too big.  The 1/1000 ones are pretty much an ideal size, but the snap-together construction causes a lot of issues.

Unfortunately, I think the TOS design actually has some of the most subtle shaping and details that no one seems to get.  There's so little detail on the ship as a whole, it makes it hard to recognize what might need fixing.  There just aren't a lot of panel lines or details to give you good reference points.

Right; I went through that on the 1/650 TOS classic kit. The nacelles alone have a slight taper which I tried to replicate by subtly sanding the nacelle down as it got to the back. Also on that kit: the pylons are mounted in the wrong position and I had to cut them off, make new pylons and mount them in the correct positions.

I've been waiting for something special to print in a larger scale, matched with my CM's figures.  It's nice to see the details at this scale.  It was my first time printing a larger figure, so fortunately I only had one fail due to a dumb mistake...  It's easy to waste resin when printing large figures, so I really had to study up on the physics for the supports, hollowing and drain holes to prevent suction forces.

I have a feeling AI Art and 3d Printing are going to change everything: With AI Art you can design anything, and with 3D Printing, you can print anything.  Some people seem to feel threatened by this technology, which is understandable. But I see it as a tool for opening new avenues of creativity.  Same as the internet, you can use it to plagiarize, or you can use it to gather previously unimaginable amounts of research for your unique work. 

2023-04-2903_49_38.jpg.b228d11b3f0e45af3a27f3cbd8c1ca2c.jpg

Edited by arbit

21 minutes ago, arbit said:

I've been waiting for something special to print in a larger scale, matched with my CM's figures.  It's nice to see the details at this scale.  It was my first time printing a larger figure, so fortunately I only had one fail due to a dumb mistake...  It's easy to waste resin when printing large figures, so I really had to study up on the physics for the supports, hollowing and drain holes to prevent suction forces.

I have a feeling AI Art and 3d Printing is going to change everything.

2023-04-2903_49_38.jpg.b228d11b3f0e45af3a27f3cbd8c1ca2c.jpg

Great job @arbit ! And yes I totally agree with your statement.  Resin models will one day be a thing of the past. 

Hey, do you guys know any usefull ways to package a model for moving? I've looked around and people have a million different ways to pack. I have a single model built currently. It's a 1/144 super sylph. The dimensions are weird to work around and the sylph seems flimsy. I have many packing materials but so far I can't get it into a solid position. The smallest box I could find that would fit it, is 10in by 6in.

1 hour ago, foundshaian said:

Hey, do you guys know any usefull ways to package a model for moving? I've looked around and people have a million different ways to pack. I have a single model built currently. It's a 1/144 super sylph. The dimensions are weird to work around and the sylph seems flimsy. I have many packing materials but so far I can't get it into a solid position. The smallest box I could find that would fit it, is 10in by 6in.

If it still fits in a box, I use paper towels or whatever and there are small antennae or fragile bits I sometimes put a plastic bagggie around them so they don’t snag

@arbit BEAUTIFUL print! Looks like the anime minus the paint!

@Thom You making a mirror image base for your ship😁 That's some heavy hardware!\

@foundshaian My recommendation, get a box big enough that if it is crushed a bit, won't touch your model. Then use soft, spongy type foam to cradle it. I've moved MANY times with my models. In the end, what worked best was ammo cans (they don't crush easily) and then soft packaging. Assume the box will be crushed, and then hope for the best. - MT

7 minutes ago, MechTech said:

@arbit BEAUTIFUL print! Looks like the anime minus the paint!

@Thom You making a mirror image base for your ship😁 That's some heavy hardware!\

@foundshaian My recommendation, get a box big enough that if it is crushed a bit, won't touch your model. Then use soft, spongy type foam to cradle it. I've moved MANY times with my models. In the end, what worked best was ammo cans (they don't crush easily) and then soft packaging. Assume the box will be crushed, and then hope for the best. - MT

One thing I've found: if you're moving a model with a fragile component (like the deflector spike on the TOS Enterprise), get a plastic cap or tube from packaging (like a spray can or something ) and put it over the fragile part (make sure there's enough room where it's not touching!), then use low-tack tape or rubber bands to hold it in place.

I grew up always packing models in foam peanuts, in boxes much larger than the model.. usually things like old CRT monitor boxes and Home Depot shippers.  You can cram a lot into a big box as long as you leave wiggle room.. I probably have a couple dozen 1/48 kits packed that way, though very few of them are very fragile to begin with, since I never tended to glue antennas and landing gear on them.

3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Speaking of packing VERY delicate models for a trip..... Titanic is going to it's new home this afternoon! Ignore my wife being silly as always.. 😜

20230429_172516.jpg

Nice!....

Spoiler

...just watch out for the icebergs :O.o

5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Speaking of packing VERY delicate models for a trip..... Titanic is going to it's new home this afternoon! Ignore my wife being silly as always.. 😜

20230429_172516.jpg

no worries, silly wifes are the best! Watch out for the non-silly ones. They tells you to sell your stach or throw it out and want you to quit your hobby,

50 minutes ago, Urashiman said:

no worries, silly wifes are the best! Watch out for the non-silly ones. They tells you to sell your stach or throw it out and want you to quit your hobby,

Those are the kind you should not marry; if your "wife" ever demands such a thing, you may want to rethink your marriage.

At the very least inform her: "No, and if you touch any of them, you'll be needing a lawyer very shortly." 😠

Took a break from my 1/1000 SDF-1. Not a model, but a Gundam MSIA Xamel Toy that I have attempted to make it into a Fix Figuration version. To be more exact, I painted this around 20 years ago and found it in image.jpeg.78701d550bee36b1c07f2a2f7c12ce38.jpega bin of MSIA and decided to resurrect it and redo it with some new tidbits / 3d printed parts.

38 minutes ago, bzwacks said:

Took a break from my 1/1000 SDF-1. Not a model, but a Gundam MSIA Xamel Toy that I have attempted to make it into a Fix Figuration version. To be more exact, I painted this around 20 years ago and found it in image.jpeg.78701d550bee36b1c07f2a2f7c12ce38.jpega bin of MSIA and decided to resurrect it and redo it with some new tidbits / 3d printed parts.

I still have a couple of those. I also have one of the newer robot spirits version. I’m still hoping for a plastic kit from Bandai one of these days, even if it does turn out to be a web exclusive 

Titanic transport 100% successful! Nothing broken!  Acrylic case arrived with blue base and looks great! Not cheap, but worth the money! She is now proudly displayed at my brother in law/father in laws printing shop as you walk in the door! 😎

20230430_172806.jpg

20230430_171722.jpg

20230430_171702.jpg

3 hours ago, bzwacks said:

Looks pretty cool !

32 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Titanic transport 100% successful! Nothing broken!  Acrylic case arrived with blue base and looks great! Not cheap, but worth the money! She is now proudly displayed at my brother in law/father in laws printing shop as you walk in the door! 😎

20230430_172806.jpg

20230430_171722.jpg

20230430_171702.jpg

Nice job on the transport 👍🏼 She looks great!

3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

20230430_172806.jpg

20230430_171722.jpg

20230430_171702.jpg

That’s a great looking display piece 

7 hours ago, derex3592 said:

That's a truly professional display. Wow!

@derex3592 Congrats on not only making a BEAUTIFUL model, but actually getting it to its final destination in one piece too! The case makes it stand out and add that much more professionalism to it too! Your in-laws have some cool decor too! - MT

UPDATE: hands finally healed enough to continue on the ship:

101_1110.JPG.c04950201d1776baa4a7a6e1809e3a5a.JPG  101_1113.JPG.4141f3d122f69763af09c3faa4dc8f39.JPG 101_1114.JPG.6d91cdd8f62e5cb1982e41444a4cd692.JPG101_1115.JPG.8a94931d65b5a8369a56c494df15fde0.JPG 101_1116.JPG.edd7874ae9c75c1c8c2e87f6b30a373c.JPG 101_1117.JPG.5f7b8d72e9d30380e3525efb3fea83a4.JPG

Got the stand (mostly) painted up; decided to make the base look as much like a combadge as possible:

101_1118.JPG.4539c20e05a96f6977e92454085cbed8.JPG101_1118.JPG.4539c20e05a96f6977e92454085cbed8.JPG 101_1119.JPG.d98de598bc1b22d617af8654d4e9b9fb.JPG 101_1120.JPG.74f0c65ba2f083c57ff096a79382d7da.JPG

The bad news: the doctor told me that I had basically "overused my hands" and had a repetitive stress injury that exacerbated the arthritis in them. I had brought along the instruction sheet for the model kit and showed him why and what ended up causing this; she was very frank with me:

"Robert... if you try cutting, taping or even trying to draw that pattern, you're going to be in rigid braces for the next six months. That makes MY hands hurt looking at it, and I don't even build models! Let me level with you: you WILL do permanent injury to your fingers and wrists if you attempt that kind of thing. I know you like your hobbies, but that is just simply unsafe for you. If you have another way of doing it, I strongly recommend you use it.  Otherwise, I am NOT going to treat you again if I find you back here and you attempted this."

So my choices: 1) find a way to afford aztec decals (good luck with that; our rent goes up next month and the car is due for emissions); 2) leave the ship as is.

Basically, the model is finished; it cannot go any further without the aztec decals. I will simply put this up on a shelf as is, no decals whatsoever; I dislike the look of the registry against a plain hull (just doesn't look right). I would have liked to have completed it, but that's no longer in my power. I'm going to have to stick to smaller projects for the foreseeable future and consider this indefinitely unfinished.

(I'd really like to know why rents are so damned expensive! Seriously? )

Thanks for watching... hopefully I can continue the armor project I have on the side.

Edited by pengbuzz