My gripe with the design is, for something that's suppose to go into combat, shouldn't the thing be less exposed? Seems like it has too many gaps in the plating around the legs and the arms. Does it really depend on it's armored topside that much? Or is there suppose to be a fear-factor?

This

On another matter, these designers simply fail to understand why Bay called for these super-complex "junkyard sculpture" designs for the transformers in the first place. Supposedly, he and his design team were shooting for a realistic look, in that the transformers are supposed to be ALIEN robotic lifeforms, as opposed to manmade. In order to get a more organic look, he wanted them to have a huge amount of moving parts to simulate the numerous bones, muscle fibers and tendons that make up a human body and allows us to move with such mobility.

Huh... didn't know this. I still don't like the designs, but I can appreciate the logic behind them.

Sorry guys, you are just getting old - and thus not liking the new stuff because the old stuff is "more believable", even when you know it was not believable. (don't get upset, I freely admit to being an old coot on any number of other threads around here)

I don't think the dividing line is new = bad, old = good.

From my perspective at least, it's old = looks like an armoured walking tank, new = doesn't look like an armoured walking tank.

Now don't get me wrong, despite some interest in the title mecha, I can't say that I like the ED-209. The only fond memory I have is of it killing an executive. But that's more storytelling than anything else... right?

I like to shed a little light on the "old=good / new=crap" debate.

In the "olden" days a lot of these designs like Star Wars or 2001 had aerospace experts/consultants come in to the art department to consult on the designs. Of course it was film after all, so a lot of these designs were "enhanced/exaggerated" or altered to make them look better to a camera lens or serve the script beats better. In any case, the designs had a original basis that came from experts in their field. Also Production Designers were usually architecturally trained with "real" scenography/production design degrees.

However, today, most of these designs come from concept illustrators which are trained in fine arts and digital painting (so cal schools). They know how to make a "sexy" rendering and painting. They could be called upon to paint up a 12th century stone castle one day and design a futuristic robot the other - they're key skill is to portray a seductive image with emotion and lighting - not necessarily any mechanical logic or understanding. I get some of these beautiful paintings come across my desk and everytime I have to look into how a piece "actually" joins or connects, it either fades into darkness or is obscured by a lens flare! To compound matters, a lot of newer hotshot Production Designers today have no architectural background or film/scenography background, they come as friends to directors/producers, set decorators that have moved up, music video or commercial ad designers and just fell into the right place with the right people at the right time.

Unfortunately, our present day society is all about the image, not substance anymore. Thus, this culture is reflected in film design as well.

IMHO!

p.s. don't dwell on this ED-209, its an early concept, I don't even know why Marketing chose it, its not chosen from the Designer or Art Department - I guess someone at Marketing thought it was "neat"! The revised version that I've seen is much better in everyway (heck! I even like it, and would love a model of it!)

p.s. don't dwell on this ED-209, its an early concept, I don't even know why Marketing chose it, its not chosen from the Designer or Art Department - I guess someone at Marketing thought it was "neat"! The revised version that I've seen is much better in everyway (heck! I even like it, and would love a model of it!)

Huh. Who'd have thought. At least it explains why the thing doesn't move.

As long as the final product looks like it is properly armored for battlefield situations, I won't be using this:

wtf_is_this_shit_Very_Disturbing_Childrens_Book_Socks_with_sandals-s400x297-59009-580.jpg

As long as the final product looks like it is properly armored for battlefield situations, I won't be using this:

wtf_is_this_shit_Very_Disturbing_Childrens_Book_Socks_with_sandals-s400x297-59009-580.jpg

Yes, the big red X has been recalled by OCP as a defective product that somehow slipped through its rigourous testing programme. It's responsible for ten deaths across the nation. Charges will not be filed due to order from On High .

More stuff from SDCC, this is the synopsis being floated around the convention hall this week:

In "RoboCop," the year is 2029 and multinational conglomerate OmniCorp is at the center of robot technology. Their drones are winning American wars around the globe and now they want to bring this technology to the home front. Alex Murphy is a loving husband, father and good cop doing his best to stem the tide of crime and corruption in Detroit. After he is critically injured in the line of duty, OmniCorp utilizes their remarkable science of robotics to save Alex’s life. He returns to the streets of his beloved city with amazing new abilities, but with issues a regular man has never had to face before.

Director José Padilha ("Elite Squad") reimagines the tale of part man, part machine, all cop starring Joel Kinnaman ("The Killing") as the title character, Gary Oldman ("The Dark Knight Rises") as the scientist who creates RoboCop, and Samuel L. Jackson ("The Avengers") as media mogul Pat Novak.

Source (Comic Book Movie.com)

More stuff from SDCC, this is the synopsis being floated around the convention hall this week:

Source (Comic Book Movie.com)

If they utilized the tech "to save his life", then that's already a major divergence from the original since there was never any such humanistic approach to Omnicorp's actions in the original. They wanted to create the ultimate product, and cleared Murphy's identity to do so.

If they utilized the tech "to save his life", then that's already a major divergence from the original since there was never any such humanistic approach to Omnicorp's actions in the original. They wanted to create the ultimate product, and cleared Murphy's identity to do so.

If your a PR person writing a one paragraph summery to explain the concept of the film then it's exactly the same as what happened in the original.

• 2 weeks later...

Please tell me the final look will be less like a guy in spandex and Stormtrooper gear and more...robotic. Thankfully this is concept and not final but....really?

That's not the costume I saw, unless they've added detail to the surfaces.

I was going to post that a while back. But wasn't sure if it was real or fake. Even tho it was pulled from the original artist site.

As the article noted after I posted (and my later edit), MGM says they have no knowledge of this artist nor did he do any artwork for the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Not reading any spoilers here. But if the script was bad... why is it attracting so many great actors? 'Tis a mystery...

Why did Ben Kingsley make Blod Rayne? Why did Charlizee Theron do Aeon Flux?

'Tis called easy money, a quick pay day.

Why did Ben Kingsley make Blod Rayne? Why did Charlizee Theron do Aeon Flux?

'Tis called easy money, a quick pay day.

I quite liked Aeon Flux! I thought it was original and daring in some respects. I have yet to see Blood Rayne though.

I have yet to see Blood Rayne though.

If the name Uwe Boll and the use of European prostitutes as extras don't faze you, then it could be a fun watch. I never bothered watching it myself, but I heard some say that it's one of those "so bad, it's good" movies.

Edited by GU-11