Goodbye to 2010!!!!

taksraven

I've actually never seen this, just heard about it. I'm going to have to track this and the original Tron down. But, I have a feeling that the movie will suck as much as the year did...

I just watched the original Tron to get me hyped to watch Tron 2. I ended up deciding not to bother watching Tron 2. Some things that were great in the early 80s have not aged well.

My rule-of-thumb for any movie I saw with my parents as a kid is, if both they and I liked it, it's probably safe to watch again (e.g. Raiders of the Lost Ark). If I loved it but they hated it (e.g. Tron), it's probably unwise to see it again.

As for the topic...I dunno. This year has had its ups and downs for me, but generally it's been a blast. But I guess it helps that I moved 5000 miles away...that always tends to shake things up a bit. B))

Me too. I would say that despite my frustration at the way that the 21st Century has not developed in the way cartoons of old told me it would, overall, 2010 was a great year personally -- in particular the action-packed first half, what with the big move, new job, and all the running around. The latter half seemed to fly by with a click of the fingers, though, and I am wondering if I didn't let a few opportunities get away in the last few months.

I do resolve to make 2011 even better, though. B))

As for Tron, I have to admit that film bored the hell out of me as a kid. I can't even remember much about it, probably never saw it to the end. I always preferred "Flight of the Navigator".

Edited by Renato

Moving to Japan is always a year of fond memories.

Anyhow, 2010: as a movie on it's own, it's great fun (ballute!) As a sequel to 2001, it's terrible. Ah... revel in the Cold War angst.

2010 the year has been generally optimistic with a faint dash of pessimism mixed in.

Edited by sketchley

Man, people... it's all about The Last Starfighter.

And my review of 2010 can be summed up in the words of the same IBM ad that's summed up every year since it aired in 2000.

Where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars. I don't see any flying cars.

The book was much better. :lol:

Anyways, the year itself? Finally got out of a dead end job in a dead end state and moved to someplace I should have moved a decade ago to try and get a job that matches the degree I got back then. Things are going well so far, 2011 is shaping up to be a helluva year.

MAN, all FOUR of those movies are SUPERB in my book!! (2010/THE LAST STARFIGHTER/TRON/FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR)

i have a VHS, LASERDISC and DVD copy of all of them!

(am i a hopeless/dateless/lifeless Geek, or what?)

Edited by Shaorin

MAN, all FOUR of those movies are SUPERB in my book!! (2010/THE LAST STARFIGHTER/TRON/FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR)

i have a VHS, LASERDISC and DVD copy of all of them!

(am i a hopeless/dateless/lifeless Geek, or what?)

As awesome as LaserDisk is, it's time to get 'em on BluRay.

Which actually STILL isn't high enough res to see Last Starfighter as intended(the CG scenes were rendered at 3000 x 5000 in 36-bit color).

But it's far better than DVD(especially if you have the old DVD release and not the remastered 25th anniversary one).

Your TV CAN offer a significant fraction of the original film resolution.

EMBRACE HIGH-DEFINITION. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.

As awesome as LaserDisk is, it's time to get 'em on BluRay.

Which actually STILL isn't high enough res to see Last Starfighter as intended(the CG scenes were rendered at 3000 x 5000 in 36-bit color).

But it's far better than DVD(especially if you have the old DVD release and not the remastered 25th anniversary one).

Your TV CAN offer a significant fraction of the original film resolution.

EMBRACE HIGH-DEFINITION. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.

i know i know, someday...

i've got my eyes on either a PIONEER BDP-09FD or 05FD, as soon as they start

hitting the second-hand market at a reasonable price.

after all, i don't even have an HD monitor yet;

JohnsRoom7-29-101.jpg

i can wait; i grew up with low-def VHS, so limiting myself to that, LD and DVD for the time being

is not going to kill me. besides, there is a ton of Anime that was released during the Great U.S. Anime Boom

of 2000/2008 that will most likely never see a second release in BR or any other physical Video format,

and there was a lot of that that i actually like, so, i have this battleship of a DVD player to take care of that;

PIONEER DV-09 (1998/2000)

DV-09MacGyver06-16-09.jpg

DSCF1959.jpg

DV-0912.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/DV-09/1999PIONEERCATDV-09.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/DV-09/1999PIONEERCATDV-092.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/DV-09/1999PIONEERCATDV-093.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/DV-09/1999PIONEERCATDV-094.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/DV-09/DSCF1887.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/DV-09/DSCF1998.jpg

I just watched the original Tron to get me hyped to watch Tron 2. I ended up deciding not to bother watching Tron 2. Some things that were great in the early 80s have not aged well.

I heard Disney opted to wait until T2on is out of theaters before rereleasing the old movie on DVD. Apparently, they anticipated a modern audience hating the first movie and, as a result, ignoring the sequel.

P.S.

2010 sucked. Good riddance.

Edited by RD Blade

I heard Disney opted to wait until T2on is out of theaters before rereleasing the old movie on DVD. Apparently, they anticipated a modern audience hating the first movie and, as a result, ignoring the sequel.

P.S.

2010 sucked. Good riddance.

Ahhh, you people are a bunch of spoiled brats... :p

I'm with the suck part in terms of my financial status and other things.

But Inception was awesome and Avatar is over rated.

Also best line from The Last Starfighter

He flips his visor so that everyone knows how bada$$ this sh!t's gonna be when he delivers the epic line.

Dude, so true. I LOVED the first Tron, and I did the same thing before Tron Legacy came out.

The irony of Legacy is, you have to really remember Tron the original to really enjoy Legacy.

I can only think of two good things that happened this year:

-The Hills finally ended

-We got back Futurama

Man, what a crappy year. Dunka-doo-balls indeed.

I imagine the scanner whipping in front of the eye sounds like it would hurt, and I remember he flipped it back and forth a couple of times in the movie.

Edited by Einherjar

Is it cool to hate on 2010, and someone forgot to tell me?

I got a new car, a new computer, a new TV, and a new smartphone that I like hella better than my old one in 2010. In the summer we took a nice long weekend getaway, and in the fall my wife, who passed the last of the CPA exams in 2010, got to visit her family in China. My dad, who has serious heart problems after suffering from two major heart attacks due to a blood disorder a few years back, is still with us and doing ok. They made a Scott Pilgrim movie, Futurama came back, and Community got picked up for a second season. Plus, while technically not from 2010, 2010 was the year I discovered Flight of the Conchords, Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey novels, Orson Scott Card's Ender novels, and that they make a cherry-flavored rum that, when mixed with Coke, produces something that tastes just like Cherry Coke but will give you a great buzz. Sure, 2010 had it's crap, too, but I choose to remember 2010 as a good year.

Glad to see you and your family are doing o.k. Mike. At the end of it all the only thing that really matters is family and loved ones. For me, picking up the guitar and finally finding something in my life that gives me some kind of satisfaction made 2010 somewhat worth it. Like I always say, hell-it could always be worse...

Edited by myk