Any other "Thing" fans out there?

With that many females in the cast, I hope they resisted the temptation to have a "thing" sex scene. It'd be far too traumatic to be eaten by a "thing" vagina.

Prepare yourself mentally by watching "teeth"... just in case :lol:

I've been following the Thing prequel's facebook page

and there's a rumor that this is the thing's current form

when it is discovered in the ice.

Awesome! Its a homage to the original monster from the "Who Goes There" novel that inspired the movie. :)

It shouldn't have a true complex form because it's true form is a single celled organism that join with others to mimic other organisms, right?

The movie version seems to definitely be a hivemind of single cells capable of bursting into anything, but its not the case at all with the original novel monster.

In the novel the “thing's" true form is the three-eyed, four foot tall alien found frozen in ice. Its cells would only mimic things though a slow trojan horse assimilation process. And then everytime a "Thing" was caught it would revert back to its rubbery 4-foot blue form by default.

Thingtext.jpg

With that many females in the cast, I hope they resisted the temptation to have a "thing" sex scene. It'd be far too traumatic to be eaten by a "thing" vagina.

To hell with that. How about some real shock and horror, with one of the female characters being pregnant and giving birth to some sort of nightmare that she has been infected with that has taken over her foetus. That would be terrifying.

To hell with that. How about some real shock and horror, with one of the female characters being pregnant and giving birth to some sort of nightmare that she has been infected with that has taken over her foetus. That would be terrifying.

If it took over the fetus, couldn't it have taken over her just as easily? This IS the Thing we're talking about, after all...

If it took over the fetus, couldn't it have taken over her just as easily? This IS the Thing we're talking about, after all...

Exactly, it wouldn't stop with just a fetus, it'd swaller her whole.

Yeah, that is possible. But the John Carpenter version revealed that it can have a degree of cunning. What better way to avoid being busted in a blood-test scenario than by hiding in a womb. People are forgetting that this creature wants to get the hell out of Antarctica and will do so by any means necessary. Nyah! :p :P :p

And besides, who cares about logic, it would look great on film!!

Exactly, it wouldn't stop with just a fetus, it'd swaller her whole.

It can infect a person with just a few cells. It doesn't have to appear as a big gooey alien. Remember in the last one how everybody had to start to prepare their own food and shite.

It wasn't that smart. It tried to hide the shite stained long johns instead of burning them :) One aspect I'd like to see that wasn't really touched, would be someone actually conversing with it. Assumedly, it obsorbs a persons memory along with their body, which means it's capable of more than just freaky screams (since we see people talking before they're revealed). In that, we'd have to assume it understands its hosts motivations, but for some reason it just doesn't give a f^ck.

Edited by Keith

It wasn't that smart.

It did have the brains to build a flying saucer when it was pretending to be Blair. Sure it slipped up a few times, but I think that things like the underwear business was just it's attempt to confuse the base members. (and it was successful in confusing them)

One aspect I'd like to see that wasn't really touched, would be someone actually conversing with it. Assumedly, it obsorbs a persons memory along with their body, which means it's capable of more than just freaky screams (since we see people talking before they're revealed).

In the "Who Goes There" novel the Thing actually used telekinesis to speak to Garry in a way. In Garry's dreams he implanted visions of his crew finding "something interesting" if they investigated the crashsite area in order for the humans to find and free him from his ice cube in the first place. Plus the Thing was capable of reading the thoughts of everyone around him (infected host or not) so he didn't need to converse with anyone for information.

In that, we'd have to assume it understands its hosts motivations, but for some reason it just doesn't give a f^ck.

I think its cause its exactly like a spoiled brat on a power trip. It flat out doesn't care what anyone else's motivations are cause it feels enabled to get whatever it wants by assimilation or destruction with no need of compromise.

You should see Wicked City. Actually don't see it. That was one creepy anime.

I need to purchase the original thing on DVD. My favorite JC film.

Edited by Golden Arms

• 2 months later...

Oh my God Oh my God Oh my God Oh my God OH MY GOD...The scariest "thing" from my childhood is back and it's more horrifying than ever! Flamethrower MOVE!!!

This movie looks absolutely terrifying. I want to see this but I might have to bring someone with me............OR NOT

Edited by myk

Oh my God Oh my God Oh my God Oh my God OH MY GOD...The scariest "thing" from my childhood is back and it's more horrifying than ever! Flamethrower MOVE!!!

:lol:

I love John Carpenter flicks and The Thing and Halloween still...to...this...day scare the crap out of me.

If this is half as good then I'll be happy.

-b.

My brother who is currently working in an advertising agency with links to the film industry tells me that most studios and production companies are obsessed with the "teen demographic". So much so that any movies that from the get go are "adult only" are viewed with profound scepticism.

Titanic originally got an "R" rating by the MPAA. (Which is BS, because one of the rules for the MPAA back then was, if a woman's breasts were shown on screen, it would automatically get an R. Titanic for some reason didn't get an R, even though it violated this rule. The MPAA is a broken, hypocritical system. But that's another argument for another day...)

Back then, Jame's Cameron's Titanic was the most expensive movie ever made, and by far the biggest gamble for any studio to take. (Or technically, two studios, since another studio was brought it to share the rights and financial burden of the film).

Long story short, some strings were pulled, and Titanic wound up with a PG-13 rating.

Why?

The studio knew the only way it stood a chance of making back "some of their money" (It was thought back then that Titanic would be the biggest losing revenue film since WaterWorld), it would need the "pre-17" crown.

An "R" rating is limiting your audience. The ONLY goal (from the studio's standpoint) is to put as much butts in your seats (make as much money) as possible. Remember, movies are a business. The point of a business is to make profits. The studios were actually wise enough with Titanic to know who it's target audience was, and aimed for a rating to fit that demographic.

Now, back to The Mouth of Madness. This movie cannot be made (or translated) correctly with a PG or PG-13 rating. Nothing less than an R rating would be straying from the source material so far removed, that the film would be In The Mouth of Madness by name only. But again, studio's do NOT care for art. They care about PROFIT. From a marketing standpoint, a large bracket of movie goers for the horror genre are teens under 17. With dwindling box office numbers (if you subtract the increase of 3D revenue), studios are paying more attention than ever to trying to squeeze every penny out of a movie, even if it pisses off the over 17 fan boy audience. If it comes to making money or making the fan boys happy, the fan boys will loose every time.

It sucks, but that's the way it is.

:lol:

I love John Carpenter flicks and The Thing and Halloween still...to...this...day scare the crap out of me.

If this is half as good then I'll be happy.

-b.

No you don't understand man, after I saw this as a kid I literally could not be in a room with anyone-this went on for years. Didn't help that I saw Alien/Aliens at about the same time but I actually thought the Xenomorphs were cool looking so they didn't bother me as much. Goddamn I'm horrified by this movie but I'm equally drawn to it. I mean, the Thing and what it represents IS scary, right? :wacko:

No you don't understand man, after I saw this as a kid I literally could not be in a room with anyone-this went on for years. Didn't help that I saw Alien/Aliens at about the same time but I actually thought the Xenomorphs were cool looking so they didn't bother me as much. Goddamn I'm horrified by this movie but I'm equally drawn to it. I mean, the Thing and what it represents IS scary, right? :wacko:

Oh no, you're absolutely correct. At its most basic premise, what "The Thing" represents in it's ability to be anyone or any animal just to slide up next to you and "get ya" is pretty damn scary.

Even though I didn't have the same reaction as you to The Thing I did make my Mom check under all of the beds and in the closets after we came from seeing Halloween to make sure Michael wasn't there to get me. I sh!t you not we still laugh about it all these years later.

-b.

PS - John Carpenter's scores were as much a bad guy as some of the characters - his music adds so much to all of his films. I hope the score in this one can capture some of that.

PS - John Carpenter's scores were as much a bad guy as some of the characters - his music adds so much to all of his films. I hope the score in this one can capture some of that.

Lol, right about that. Seeing how this movie is from the makers of a zombie movie I'd be disgusted but not surprised to hear techno, trance or some other similarly out of place fast rock/death metal tracks in the movie...

Speaking of THE THING score, I hope they re-release it for the new movie. I've been trying for over 2 decades to get my hands on it!

The score for the Carpenter's THE THING is simple, but so damn haunting. I remember long after I had seen the movie, that song would just randomly pop into my head.

The composer for the new film has a difficult task ahead of him. He has to try to mimic the original score, yet have it be fresh and new. A lot rides on the score. The very tone of the film will drastically change depending on what the composer does. Curious to see how this plays out.

Lol, right about that. Seeing how this movie is from the makers of a zombie movie I'd be disgusted but not surprised to hear techno, trance or some other similarly out of place fast rock/death metal tracks in the movie...

That would make me very, Very, VERY upset.

Speaking of THE THING score, I hope they re-release it for the new movie. I've been trying for over 2 decades to get my hands on it!

The score for the Carpenter's THE THING is simple, but so damn haunting. I remember long after I had seen the movie, that song would just randomly pop into my head.

The composer for the new film has a difficult task ahead of him. He has to try to mimic the original score, yet have it be fresh and new. A lot rides on the score. The very tone of the film will drastically change depending on what the composer does. Curious to see how this plays out.

You're not the only one. But if myk has his way we'll hear another creeped-out version of Sweet Dreams or maybe Down with the Sickness. :p

*edit for spelling "hear" vs "here"

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike

Lol, I said I'd be "disgusted" by any such musical choices but, judging on the choice of the leading lady as well as the looks of the cast, you can be sure they've designed this movie to be youth/mainstream friendly. They'll probably show the Thing trying to assimilate an I-pad or something...

Lol, I said I'd be "disgusted" by any such musical choices but, judging on the choice of the leading lady as well as the looks of the cast, you can be sure they've designed this movie to be youth/mainstream friendly. They'll probably show the Thing trying to assimilate an I-pad or something...

That would be crazy since the movie takes place in 1980, and the iPad wouldn't have been invented for another 30 years. :lol:

Yeah, I get the point. They seem to be doing that more and more with movies across the board.

"...he was also charged with being the second gunman on the grassy knoll. When we asked the police how an 8-year-old boy could be charged with a crime that happened over thirty years ago, the police responded with, and I quote, 'He's very clever.'"

(Beavis & Butthead)

Edited by ae_productions

The trailer is finally up!

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-trailers/#/video/f749b83d-e1d0-4983-a918-a9c3914b03c0/

I think it looks pretty damn good... (if I may say so myself;-)

Boo! BOO! The little janitor and robot silhouettes at the bottom of the screen say [to Universal]: GET OFF KURT RUSSELL'S NUT SACK!

ed: Ennio Morricone's original soundtrack effing rocks. I've got it on my mp3 player...

ed: ed: and GODDA**IT, where are the sled dogs?! We already KNOW how this one is SUPPOSED to end! They're supposed to have sled dogs, and the helicopter was a Bell Jet Ranger! Only 2 men are supposed to survive--and they set off after the last remianing assimilated "dog" in a vain attempt to blow it up, to keep it from getting to the American camp.... Christ Al-fu**ing-Mighty! It's like NONE of these a$$holes even bothered watching the first movie! Jesus! Who green-lights this SHITE?! :angry:

Edited by reddsun1

Prepare yourself mentally by watching "teeth"... just in case :lol:

Awesome! Its a homage to the original monster from the "Who Goes There" novel that inspired the movie. :)

The movie version seems to definitely be a hivemind of single cells capable of bursting into anything, but its not the case at all with the original novel monster.

In the novel the thing's" true form is the three-eyed, four foot tall alien found frozen in ice. Its cells would only mimic things though a slow trojan horse assimilation process. And then everytime a "Thing" was caught it would revert back to its rubbery 4-foot blue form by default.

Man oh man, that pic just totally grosses me out. It's even worse than what I've previously envisioned for the Thing. LOL, if I had a mouth like a puckered-up-arsehole, I'd be pretty god**mned pissed off and trying to change into something else too! :p

Edited by reddsun1

That would be crazy since the movie takes place in 1980, and the iPad wouldn't have been invented for another 30 years. :lol:

Then this movie is doomed to fail! People are going to watch this and go-where are the cell phones? Why aren't they using google to research the monster? Stuff like that; also, what we've seen in the movie failed to convey an 80's vibe to me. Not that I expected to see leg warmers or a jogging suit on the Thing mind you...

Ok everyone... lets calm down a little - its just a trailer (don't you hate trailers that show you the whole movie?!) - its not the whole movie! Believe it or not, there are other scenes we shot that didn't make it into this trailer!!

Yes, extraordinary lengths were taken to get period 80's set dressing - we had fun playing the 80's board games in the art department! No there are no iphones or ipads, but period computers with the monochrome green screen when appropriate. Yes the "a$$holes" (including myself) definitely took apart the JC film frame by frame and analyzed it where appropriate - but remember this is the Norwegian camp before the JC movie, there wasn't much established in the JC movie on the "other" camp.

I can't disclose, but all I can say is that it dovetails quite nicely to the opening scene in the JC movie.

I can't disclose, but all I can say is that it dovetails quite nicely to the opening scene in the JC movie.

Don't get me wrong, I'm anxiously awaiting this movie. So anxious in fact, that I had my first Thing-related nightmare last night... :wacko:

Was teasing...I know you meant. lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm anxiously awaiting this movie. So anxious in fact, that I had my first Thing-related nightmare last night... :wacko:

Me too. That is the awaiting the movie part, not the nightmares.

-b.

Meh. I'm just not feelin' it.

The skeptic in me says: there's just no way they're ever gonna be able to top...

"...you gotta be fu**in' kiddin' me!"

B))

Just dwarfs, standing on the shoulders of giants...

[coincidentally: John C. actually is a pretty tall fella, isn't he?]

Not arguing your right to be excited by the prospect of the new movie or it's previews but do they have to top that, or any part in JC's Thing for this to be good? I say let it be acceptable or feasible that this movie stand on it's own merits and/or flaws.

-b.

Love The Thing. Mostly indifferent to this project. My first impression is that it seems to be too contemporary and not "period enough" I'll probably wait it to stream and if I like it, I'll buy the BD.

Then this movie is doomed to fail! People are going to watch this and go-where are the cell phones? Why aren't they using google to research the monster? Stuff like that; also, what we've seen in the movie failed to convey an 80's vibe to me. Not that I expected to see leg warmers or a jogging suit on the Thing mind you...

DID SOMEBODY SAY LEG WARMERS AND JOGGING SUITS!!!! IS *THIS* WHAT THE MOVIE NEEDS TO CONVEY AN 80'S VIBE?????

:p :P