Any other "Thing" fans out there?

You're very welcome.

You can probably guess at my name from my user name and IMDB it (its the second one and the only one in the Art Department). Please don't credit me with anything I replied - even though I haven't given anything away, I just don't want to raise any flags with Universal Legal.

Now go out and tell everyone to go out to the theaters to watch it, not just download it (or else I don't get paid! and can't support my Macross addiction).

You're very welcome.

You can probably guess at my name from my user name and IMDB it (its the second one and the only one in the Art Department). Please don't credit me with anything I replied - even though I haven't given anything away, I just don't want to raise any flags with Universal Legal.

Now go out and tell everyone to go out to the theaters to watch it, not just download it (or else I don't get paid! and can't support my Macross addiction).

sure thing and thanks =]

finished reading it last night so I went ahead and did a review

if you're interested. You can read it here

I just finished the book as well. Seeing how close the movie followed the book it's difficult for me to say but overall I prefer the movie version of the story. I say that not based on content or the quality of it, rather the movie has the obvious advantges of being able to appeal to our senses as opposed to just our imagination. Seeing the looks of bewilderment, shock, and horror on the characters faces and listening as they deal with every passing horror just has to be seen to be fully experienced. I can only guess that a reader that never saw the movie wouldn't be as moved by the written story as much. In any case, thanks again for turning me on to that. I'm now checking local listings for psychiatric counseling because after playing Dead Space, watching the Thing, Alien, Aliens and reading the Thing, all in a matter of days I can't be alone in a room with anyone again...

Edited by myk

I just finished the book as well. Seeing how close the movie followed the book it's difficult for me to say but overall I prefer the movie version of the story. I say that not based on content or the quality of it, rather the movie has the obvious advantges of being able to appeal to our senses as opposed to just our imagination. Seeing the looks of bewilderment, shock, and horror on the characters faces and listening as they deal with every passing horror just has to be seen to be fully experienced. I can only guess that a reader that never saw the movie wouldn't be as moved by the written story as much. In any case, thanks again for turning me on to that. I'm now checking local listings for psychiatric counseling because after playing Dead Space, watching the Thing, Alien, Aliens and reading the Thing, all in a matter of days I can't be alone in a room with anyone again...

That's a nice stretch of Sci-Fi/Horror you just put yourself through. I need to put aside some cash to buy the Thing (which would be the third format I've owned after DVD and HD-DVD) and Alien Anthology on Blu-Ray.

-b.

In a way the movie followed the book, it was just that a lot of scenes were out of order. Since I had seen the movie many many times before reading the book, I envisioned the characters as they were in the film, into the book. Made it easier for me to read since I couldn't picture them looking any other way. I did find it interesting that a lot of the scenes from the book were originally in the film, but got cut. If you search "The Thing Deleted Scenes" on youtube you should be able to see them. Not all of them were in that clip, for others there are actual production photos. I do know that Carpenter did want to recreate a lot of the deaths that were in the novel, but wasn't able to because of time and budget. In this day and age, it would have been simple because of the advanced technology, but yeah. He was happy with what he got, and hell we as fans are too obviously. As a hard core fan I guess I'd say lol, I do prefer the film over the novel, but it was a nice take on the story and that's something I can appreciate on its own.

This was the first (and only) movie to give me nightmares for three days straight after seeing it. Granted I was about twelve or thirteen when I first saw the thing on The Movie Channel (we just gotten cable here; we the now defucnt Qube service I believe), so you can probably understand where I'm coming from. The worst part in my opinion was a toss-up between the dog transformation scene and the scene where Windows bought it.

This was the first (and only) movie to give me nightmares for three days straight after seeing it. Granted I was about twelve or thirteen when I first saw the thing on The Movie Channel (we just gotten cable here; we the now defucnt Qube service I believe), so you can probably understand where I'm coming from. The worst part in my opinion was a toss-up between the dog transformation scene and the scene where Windows bought it.

Every Thing transformation is pretty damn scary, for me it was the dog-thing and Norris-thing that scared me the most.

Granted I was about twelve or thirteen when I first saw the thing on The Movie Channel (we just gotten cable here; we the now defucnt Qube service I believe), so you can probably understand where I'm coming from.

No, I don't actually. I was maybe 9~10 when I say it for the first time and it was only mildly scary to me then. I think you're just a light weight. :p

No, I don't actually. I was maybe 9~10 when I say it for the first time and it was only mildly scary to me then. I think you're just a light weight. :p

Lightweight or something. I mean, standard horror movies don't faze me in the least but creature features that are brilliantly executed, like Alien, Thing, etc, have me at their mercy. Odd thing I just noticed also: I can't think of any modern horror or creature-feature movies that had an impact on me as the aforementioned movies have. Maybe I'm just drawing a blank? What are some good recent horror/creature movies that had a profound effect on you folks?

Lightweight or something. I mean, standard horror movies don't faze me in the least but creature features that are brilliantly executed, like Alien, Thing, etc, have me at their mercy. Odd thing I just noticed also: I can't think of any modern horror or creature-feature movies that had an impact on me as the aforementioned movies have. Maybe I'm just drawing a blank? What are some good recent horror/creature movies that had a profound effect on you folks?

zombie movies of course, there's nothing worse than a disgusting walking corpse trying to feast on your flesh.

JAWS was scary too but more so when I was little, still the great white shark is a living nightmare. Anyone would be scared if they saw one up close and personal.

The original Piranha was pretty damn scary, okay so there's just something about creature features

Piranha (2010) had some scary moments too, this massacre scene alone was the only reason to go see the movie

WARNING! Contains lots of blood, gore and some nudity! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRzQoEKSP14

You and I must have strong stomachs

I've just never been bothered by strait gore. monster movies, slasher films and violent action movies never really bug me. and when the blood and guts are that level of ludicrous I just can't help but laugh. Actually the only thing that bothers me is torture. I can watch something like that or the most recent Rambo movie all day and enjoy myself, but I just can't stand movies like Saw (admittedly the saw movies are also stupid).

but yeah, over the top violence that makes absolutely no sense is awesome. I kind of want to make a GIF of the chick getting her hair twisted 'til her face inexplicably rips off. :p

zombie movies of course, there's nothing worse than a disgusting walking corpse trying to feast on your flesh.

JAWS was scary too but more so when I was little, still the great white shark is a living nightmare. Anyone would be scared if they saw one up close and personal.

The original Piranha was pretty damn scary, okay so there's just something about creature features

See, zombies, sharks or anything else like that doesn't faze me in the least. Much to my mother's own dismay when I was a child, I remember laughing during alot of the scenes when the original Piranha movies were aired on t.v. There's just something about the Alien and the Thing that's just really unnerving. I never got my bachelor's in 'psych but I don't need that to know there's something going on with that. I dunno.

Anyway, were you linking to

the nude underwater duet from the new Piranha movie? Youtube rightfully pulled that clip down. I guess I'm going to have to rent the damn thing now. On another note, I've been a fan of Kelly Brook for ages-I can't believe I missed the chance to see her completely naked and underwater and in 3D no less, lol...

I've just never been bothered by strait gore. monster movies, slasher films and violent action movies never really bug me. and when the blood and guts are that level of ludicrous I just can't help but laugh. Actually the only thing that bothers me is torture. I can watch something like that or the most recent Rambo movie all day and enjoy myself, but I just can't stand movies like Saw (admittedly the saw movies are also stupid).

but yeah, over the top violence that makes absolutely no sense is awesome. I kind of want to make a GIF of the chick getting her hair twisted 'til her face inexplicably rips off. :p

All fictional horror pales into insignificance when compared to things like real wars or the actions of people like Armin Meiwes.

• 2 weeks later...

okay time to revive this thread yet again! and why?

cause some guy made these totally awesome custom figures of the cast

and I just have to share it with the rest of you!

link HERE clicky away and be amazed!

Those figures are SPOT ON-Mcfarlane or any other company would do well just to match the look of those customs (did they ever do the crew of Outpost 31?). The dog and Bennings were particularly creepy.

On a side note, having mentioned Mcfarlane and fearing monsters under my bed I had to pull out my Movie Maniacs Aliens/Hicks figure for protection. Looking at Hicks there's one thing that I've never understood about figures from movies and that is why they can't get the faces closer to the actors. Is it a legal problem or something? Those Thing customs are SPOT ON like I said, however I'd wager that if a toy company like Mcfarlane tried to make those characters they'd end up having Justin Bieber's face along with a beard or mustache (depending on character) and a seriously ripped body with muscles I never even knew existed. This Hicks figure I've got looks as if with a simple uniform change it could double as a Ben Roethlisberger figure.

Anyway, cool 'figs...

Edited by myk

When they get a license to produce a figure based on someones likeness, there usually aren't limitations in accuracy written in the contract. So when they look like crap, it's the artist's fault for doing a bad job. So far, the most accurate commercial figure for Hicks is the Hot Toys version, but the gear is sadly still off.

As for McFarlane, their stuff is incredibly inconsistent. The original Metal Gear Solid figures for example had a couple of good sculpts; however, some were a bit questionable and Snake's face just looked weird in particular. It's even worse having seen his face in better quality in more recent games. :rolleyes:

Oh--and those Thing figures look awesome.

As for McFarlane, their stuff is incredibly inconsistent. The original Metal Gear Solid figures for example had a couple of good sculpts; however, some were a bit questionable and Snake's face just looked weird in particular. It's even worse having seen his face in better quality in more recent games. :rolleyes:

Oh--and those Thing figures look awesome.

Well...I'd say that McFarlane got Sniper Wolf's booby-cleavage right... :rolleyes:

As for Hicks, I actually think McFarlane was on the right track, they just made him too "big." Michael Biehn/Hicks has an average build although he's about 5'10, but McFarlane built him like a 'roid pumping linebacker. The eyes and the expression were really close IMHO...

Edited by myk

Every Thing transformation is pretty damn scary, for me it was the dog-thing and Norris-thing that scared me the most.

The dogs! That scene scared the CRAP out of me when I first saw it. It was on late TV one night, and I snuck out of bed to watch it while my parents were sleeping.

I think Dark Horse comics also had a sequel to John Carpenter's film that was decent. You guys should check it out if you can get your hands on a copy. It was a pretty good read.

Can't wait to see the new Thing movie. They've been talking about doing one for years, and it's great one is finally coming into fruition.

Well...I'd say that McFarlane got Sniper Wolf's booby-cleavage right... :rolleyes:

As for Hicks, I actually think McFarlane was on the right track, they just made him too "big." Michael Biehn/Hicks has an average build although he's about 5'10, but McFarlane built him like a 'roid pumping linebacker. The eyes and the expression were really close IMHO...

I have that one, it's like they took a really good Michael Biehn head sculpt and some really nice colonial marine accessories and stuck them on the body of a Dutch from Predator figure.

A note of interest to fans of "The Thing" - I've been hired on as the art director for the new upcoming feature "At the Mountains of Madness" - based on the short story by H.P. Lovecraft. Guillermo del Toro is directing with James Cameron as executive producer. I guess its back to Antarctica with shape shifting Aliens for me! This is the original story that J.C.'s The Thing was based on, but I'm sure Guillermo will have his own take on this classic. Keep a look out for it!

A note of interest to fans of "The Thing" - I've been hired on as the art director for the new upcoming feature "At the Mountains of Madness" - based on the short story by H.P. Lovecraft. Guillermo del Toro is directing with James Cameron as executive producer. I guess its back to Antarctica with shape shifting Aliens for me! This is the original story that J.C.'s The Thing was based on, but I'm sure Guillermo will have his own take on this classic. Keep a look out for it!

Congratulations!

I've been kinda-sorta following the development of At the Mountains of Madness, primarily because there's never really been a good adaptation of any of Lovecraft's stories (Re-Animator doesn't count...good movie in its own right, but terrible as an adaptation)...but if anyone can do it, I think del Toro can.

(I'll leave out my usual carping that the original novella is not very cinematic, just because I always seem to be saying that. I mean, it's true, the story is not cinematic at all: lots and lots AND LOTS of backstory and narration and not much actually HAPPENING...but what's the point of repeating myself? Hollywood doesn't listen to me. :p )

Anyway, I'm fascinated to see what you come up with for it. And let me be the first to say it: PENGUINS!!!

You'll understand soon enough... ;)

Wow, working in a movie directed by Guillermo del Toro based on a story by Lovecraft. That's just every geek's dream:)

Congrats on the hire!

Thanks for the congrats! Might not get to my models for the next year though.

I wonder if Guilllermo would be interested in seeing my Macross Collection? I hear he's a pretty avid collector (not necessarily Macross) himself.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/07/110207fa_fact_zalewski#ixzz1CmX0wVvv

I just hope people don't think we're copying "The Thing"!

Edited by wm cheng

Wow congratulations! I'm also a huge fan of Guillermo's as well, that's just too awesome =D

best of luck on your new project!

Also for anyone who would like to read the Thing prequel script, you can download it here

Edited by HappyPenguins