Graham

maybe not be official of ride series but also appears the vf 1 I wonder if has variations with respect to original :huh:

Why would MtR need to use a

,as far as I can tell, holographic

VF-1, when they've already got the VF-1XX?

Because the VF-1 is beautiful as it is and the VF-1XX is ugly as sin? :lol:

How's that? As the VF-1XX has the same externals as the VF-1X.

Or are you referring to all the option parts and customizations used on the one used in Vanquish racing?

Edited by sketchley

It's been stated that the Unified Forces have focused on development of VFs, and that Zentraadi were retrained to pilot VFs in numerous publications. In addition to the Variable Gluag, they're known to have piloted the VF-14 and VA-14 in the Macross 5 Fleet. By appearances, the YF-21 was designed so that pretty much only Zentraadi could pilot it.

The appearance of the Queadluun-Rhae in MF came as a surprise, as it was inconsistent with previous information on Zentraadi mobile weapons in Macross. But ultimately, as MF went and revised Macross considerably, it's possible that other Zentraadi power suits or derivatives were developed.

Ok, thanks for the clarification Sketchley. Thanks to Talos as well for responding; hope I didn't come across as rude in my reply.

Am I right in thinking that all of the VFs in the Vanquish Race basically have the speed of an AVF and that's why some (like the VF-1XX and VF-9E) are highly unstable?

Am I right in thinking that all of the VFs in the Vanquish Race basically have the speed of an AVF and that's why some (like the VF-1XX and VF-9E) are highly unstable?

Speed + manueverability.

They're unstable because they're using burst-turbine engines that are souped up to the max in jury-rigged airframes with a lot of experimental systems crammed in. And that's not even including the dangers of the race, itself! :lol:

Ok, thanks for the clarification Sketchley. Thanks to Talos as well for responding; hope I didn't come across as rude in my reply.

Nah, you're good. It's sometimes hard to convey things in text.

What I always found interesting about the Power Armor in Macross Plus was that it seems to combine the Male and Female Power Armors into one Hermaphroditic one, though closer to the N-Ger in overall appearance.

As far as the Vanquish racers, sketchley is dead on. Think of them like 1960s pre-Formula race cars. Biggest engines in the smallest, lightest, simplest frames possible, no matter how dangerous. These airframes aren't designed to handle that kind of power at all.

These airframes aren't designed to handle that kind of power at all.

Except for those VF-17s, 19s, and 22s..... :lol:

But yes, Vanquish is a race. And in a race where racers can modify their machines, you can expect them to be running something that is not exactly in the specs and making modifications which most people would probably find dangerous, bordering on crazy.

I know, I was specifically referring to the VF-1XX and VF-9E that were mentioned earlier.

It is a race, that's why I alluded to auto racing before the strict Formulas started adding some sanity to them. Fortunately they don't have to worry about carrying armaments in Vanquish either. That would open up a whole different kettle.

First thing on my mind when VF-1XX showed up was drag racing, i mean about the level of the danger. Always pushing to the limit. And the people involve in it has the same level of insanity as well, but in a good way. So much passion for racing.

Nah, you're good. It's sometimes hard to convey things in text.

What I always found interesting about the Power Armor in Macross Plus was that it seems to combine the Male and Female Power Armors into one Hermaphroditic one, though closer to the N-Ger in overall appearance.

As far as the Vanquish racers, sketchley is dead on. Think of them like 1960s pre-Formula race cars. Biggest engines in the smallest, lightest, simplest frames possible, no matter how dangerous. These airframes aren't designed to handle that kind of power at all.

Ok cool, thanks Sketchley and Talos! Yeah, that powered suit does look like an amalgamation of the Q-Rau and N-Ger.

So the planes are as fast and as maneuverable as AVF's just not in frames that can handle that level of performance. The analogy with pre-Formula race cars makes a lot of sense. So it's fair to say that most of the pilots have the skill level/temperament of Isamu considering he could be pretty reckless? Man I hope this gets animated one day!

Edited by CrusherJ

thanks for that pre-Formula racing analogy.

That's why i was wondering why a Vanquish racer would fly a VF-1xx or VF-4 when compared to a VF-19 or VF-25 the VF-1 and VF-4 are obviously inferior and outdated machines.

I guess the take the VF-1 and VF-4 airframes and jsut cram in whatever they can to make it comparable in speed to the VF-19 etc?

Money/connections? Probably a *lot* easier to find/buy/maintain a VF-1 than a VF-19. Remember in the beginning of Mac 7, Gamlin wasn't allowed to even READ the more in-depth specs of a VF-19. By the time of Macross R, I'd imagine it's still not easy to own one, even for the rich. (nowadays it's still nigh-impossible to have an F-4, even WWII planes are sometimes grounded for legal/military issues)

You're confusing things.

So far, only 2 books have been published:

1) collection of the novelization (the publication in your link)

2) collection of the models/mechanical stuff (this: http://www.amazon.co...13379077&sr=1-2 )

I see. Good one I buy the correct one :D.Thank you for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Dengeki Hobby is out.

Another issue of MtR that is mind blowingly awesome (and that's from ONLY looking at the pictures!)

Take the title page spread: the YF-27-5 leading a flight of 4 Neo-Glaugs.

Think about that for a moment. The YF-21's boss in the PS1's "Macross Plus Game Edition". Mass produced. Used by General Galaxy.

Awesome.

We also get a code for the Neo-Glaug: VBP-1/VA-110 Neo Glaug. (Does it mean Variable Battle Pod/Variable Attacker???)

Other VFs... and there's a whole LOAD o' VF-11 variants:

VF-11B Lacrimosa (our first VF to have "Dengeki" on it as a "sponsor")

Then, in the "What's Vanquish!! 2" feature, focused on the "Thunderbolt Class" Vanquish races:

VF-11B/X Sister Valkyrie (Nun themed :blink: )

VF-11B kai El Camino Real

(following are colouring only, kits not made)

VF-11 "803"

VF-11B Miyabi

VF-11B/MAXL Red Curtain (body shape looks EXACTLY like a regular VF.)

VF-11B Rev-Splash

That definitely sounds like a good issue! I can't wait to see it.

I'm really interested in that MAXL, since I've long-theorized exactly that and I plan on doing a profile line art for it, once I get my base VF-11 work done. How did they do the tails on it? Just on the wingtips or did it have four like the VF-0D?

They used the exact same helicopter shot lineart as the other 3 VF-11 on the same page. :(

Naturally, naturally.

Seeing this got me working on my VF-11 again, enough to mock up a cockpit interior (that I'm going to have to redo anyway, I'm not satisfied with it).

vf11.th.jpg

Does this help?

He's got a super punch, and....makes flour in his spare time.

I just got the new Dengeki Hobby, and it is really, really good. Those scratchbuild Neo Glaugs are awesome. I wonder if that kit transforms at all? If only Yamato would make one of those.

Edited by Jasonc

Translated a bit of the Neo-Guraaji (Gluag) last night, and surprise surprise, the writers appear to have mixed the Variable Guraaji with the Neo Guraaji. (The VG being manned (either macron or micron pilots) and the NG being unmanned.)

The use of the VG's design in the scratch build should've been a clue... :unsure:

I just got the new Dengeki Hobby, and it is really, really good. Those scratchbuild Neo Glaugs are awesome. I wonder if that kit transforms at all? If only Yamato would make one of those.

Probably not. Again, this is Dengeki Hobby, a magazine for model makers, toy customizing enthusiasts and scratch builders. The great thing about the magazine is, they'll tell you what it's made out of (custom or production resin kits or production model kit) and most of the time, HOW they did it.