Graham

SDFM (series)

DYRL (movie)

FB2012 (OVA)

Macross II (OVA/Movie)

Macross Plus (OVA/Movie)

Macross 7 (Series)

Macross 7: The Galaxy is Calling Me (short film)

Macross Dynamite 7 (OVA)

Macross 0 (OVA)

Macross Frontier (Series)

Macross Frontier: The False Diva/Wings of Goodbye (movie)

Honestly, I'm not seeing very definitive patterns here (too small sample set, etc). There's kind of a trend to do series, fallowed by theatrical film(s) related to that series, then OVA(s) related to that series, then do OVA(s) about something completely different before starting a new series.

If that's the case We'll probably see an OVA featuring Macross Frontier characters in the next year or two, then it'll be 5 years until we see another OVA that's got a new cast/setting.

Well, I don't really throw movies into the timeline. Basically the way I was seeing it is: SDFM (series), Plus (OVA), 7 (series), Zero (OVA), Frontier (series).

Notice how I didn't even consider II in the line? I like it some, but I just don't consider it to be a part of the "family".

I think you guys are missing the most important pattern on whether Macross the Ride would get turned into an OVA. The number of times a model magazine spinoff story has been turned into an animated production can be counted on negative one hands :x

But how many of those books ever generated as much attention as this one? I have not read probable won't till it's translated but everybody who has here liked it alot. I just like the idea of a story inside macross but not advancing a time line ie: M+

I think you're overestimating the amount of fervor generated over this in comparison to say the equivalent Gundam sidestory in many of the same publications. A couple of collected books and such is pretty par for the course.

And what are you talking about with Macross Plus? It does advance the timeline since the last thing chronologically speaking was Flashback 2012 :3

Advance of Zeta.

Heard of it? It's from the same publication (Dengeki Hobby). Started before MtR did, and has continued long past it. The magazine has also supplied 1 full model kit of the hero mecha and 1 kit to customize an existing Gundam kit. That. I. Know. Of.

Truth be told, MtR wasn't that big...

... but it's still awesome!

And what are you talking about with Macross Plus? It does advance the timeline since the last thing chronologically speaking was Flashback 2012 :3

I think the only one that it is applicable to is Macross Zero. In that we already knew what was going to happen after it. However, the argument fails on M0's embellishment of the timeline...

Edited by sketchley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Yeah I have enjoyed reading your translations! Do you plan to finish the descriptions of the VF-11B racers?

Eventually. It's one (of quite a few!) of my translation projects that are on the back burner until the Revised Macross Chronicle completes its run.

You could say that about the whole Macross franchise. :p

Yes, but the scale is completely different. The Ride is niche even within Macross fandom. However I meet new Macross fans (who usually dont know what The Ride is) weekly in RL without even looking. So...yeah, the scale is somewhat different.

• 2 months later...