Star Wars on Blu-ray in 2011

Guest sh002

THANK YOU!!!!!

and now he is going to throw that Vader/Luke scene into Jedi which seemed pretty dark and sithy....wow...way to go George...that will make ROTJ a real roller-coaster ride!

that scene I believe will only be as an extra, not edited into the movie.

that scene I believe will only be as an extra, not edited into the movie.

yeah thats it, its just a deleted scene, why do people think this is going to be spliced in the film somehow? silly.

another thing,with people saying the ending of ROTJ is magically crap now because they said what it was originally going to be,sure that ending would have been cool but I love the ending of the original ROTJ the one i grew up with,with the spirits,it closes on redemption and han still breathing which is how i like my solo.

Oh f*ck yes, that scene where luke is tinkerin with his l/saber was KICK ASS!!!!

Umm, okay? :blink:

Meh, I've never been terribly impressed with the "Special Editions." Save for the Solo/Jabba hangar scene, none of what Lucas added did a damned thing to add to the story in any way--it was just fluff.

And you woulda thought that Lucas et. al. would have used 20+ years of technological advances to fix the obvious sh*t; like the semi-translucent snowspeeder cockpit when Luke strafes the AT-AT in ESB; or the stick that someone pokes through a trapdoor under the AT-AT's foot to get it to topple, after Luke blows it up. Honest to God, I always figured they left that one in as a joke or something. <_<

another thing,with people saying the ending of ROTJ is magically crap now because they said what it was originally going to be,sure that ending would have been cool but I love the ending of the original ROTJ the one i grew up with,with the spirits,it closes on redemption and han still breathing which is how i like my solo.

I agree. Also, it's not like they filmed an alternative ending, let alone story-boarded one, let alone wrote one. The so-called "alternative ending" was only something mentioned in a treatment of the script. Something that probably came up during initial brainstorming and was later revised for a better idea (selling more toys and making the tone lighter is a pessimisstic view. The optimistic view is that Mr. Lucas understood what it means to make a modern myth. Meaning that the heroes don't die, and live on to stimulate our imaginations.

And you woulda thought that Lucas et. al. would have used 20+ years of technological advances to fix the obvious sh*t; like the semi-translucent snowspeeder cockpit when Luke strafes the AT-AT in ESB; or the stick that someone pokes through a trapdoor under the AT-AT's foot to get it to topple, after Luke blows it up. Honest to God, I always figured they left that one in as a joke or something. <_<

I never noticed those things. Nevertheless, if one looks really, really carefully, one can always spot the tricks used to make movies. All movies. How long is that stick on screen for? What's it's size compared to the AT-AT? Is it worth it to digitally erase it, or will the erasure be more obvious than the scene, as-is?

Personally, I would have preferred to see them remove the red box around the emperor's eyes in Eps. VI, but I understand that it is an artifact from optical printing, and nigh-impossible to remove (unless if they have the film master, which it appears they didn't...)

Edited by sketchley

The only thing I really have an issue with, is the "music video" at Jabba's palace. It is simply inherently stupid on every level. I cringe when I watch it, I'm embarassed TO watch it.

+1

Yeah, that was horrible. Really almost 'spoil the movie' type horrible.

I never noticed those things. Nevertheless, if one looks really, really carefully, one can always spot the tricks used to make movies. All movies. How long is that stick on screen for? What's it's size compared to the AT-AT? Is it worth it to digitally erase it, or will the erasure be more obvious than the scene, as-is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhpS69eAXrU#t=4m55s

I don't see any stick, do you?

Edited by anime52k8

Both feet on the walkers left side do move in a funny way before it topples, but nothing too extreme.

This is the greatest Star Wars blooper of all time. (and it was in the film...)

Umm, okay? :blink:

yes, ok. Your telling me that wasn't cool? Your fluffy. I'm a luke fan, and anything extra is always good, agree with adding more CG overlaid old film is gay, but this ani't it.

So it's not Hammil? i guess it doesn't matter, can't see anyways. But cheapens it dammit. Still awesome and not fluffy.

WTF! was that really in the movie with the head clang stormy? HAHAHAHA oh man that i have to watch the films again for.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Come to think of it, besides removing the Greedo shooting first, I think Han meeting Jabba in A New Hope is completely pointless and actually weakens Jabba's reputation as a ruthless and vile gangster.

I still find it funny when that scene was originally shot it was when Jabba was just a fat dude ganglord that wore a fur-like jacket/coat.

I still find it funny when that scene was originally shot it was when Jabba was just a fat dude ganglord that wore a fur-like jacket/coat.

Yeah. :lol:

That is another thing with that scene, Han gets up close and personal with Jabba, since that scene was originally just a fat guy. Then Jabba intead became that rosie odonnell-esque large slug, Han standing that close just looks really odd. In Return of the Jedi he was a feared, vile, and ruthless gangster that demanded the utmost respect of anyone in his presence. As evident in all scenes he was in that movie. In A New Hope he was practically ridiculed and embarrassed.

Personally I wouldn't mind he being removed from The Phantom Menace as well, but that wasn't an "added" scene so I don't know how much Lucas Films would go for that.

Watch the left rear foot, at 4:57-4:58. I love spotting for little bloopers and slip-ups in movies; I just always thought that one would have been selected for "correcting" because it was fairly noticable.

Even as a kid, I always remember the snowspeeder cockpit looking kinda "transparent." And the blue-boxes on the Tie-Fighters are more noticable than in the other films, too.

Both feet on the walkers left side do move in a funny way before it topples, but nothing too extreme.

This is the greatest Star Wars blooper of all time. (and it was in the film...)

OMG! LOLOL! That one is NOT work-safe! :lol: All these years, and I'd never have noticed that one.

Edited by reddsun1

So when can we expect the Super reworked BD version 2 set to come out ? about 2015 just in time for us to wave good bye to our Bluray players and hello to the next big thing, my monies on Lucas Arts getting a version ready for the next format too.

But I know I will be getting it :)

Edited by big F

I honestly hope they add all the old Definative Collection ducumentaries, including the full version of the "original" Jaba's palace song. It'd also be a shame for them to omit A&E's "Empire of Dreams" from the DVD set.

The only thing I really have an issue with, is the "music video" at Jabba's palace. It is simply inherently stupid on every level. I cringe when I watch it, I'm embarassed TO watch it.

That scene was absolutely retarded in the original version. Not to say that the new version is any better but that particular segment has always been painfully bad.

The major problem with the new version of the music scene, is that the song style doesn't even remotely fit in with any of the music that the band is playing in the background during before or after. Ok, I understand, he wanted to replace the puppets. But there was no reason to replace the song as well, and yes, it does make a difference.

Also; I've come to a realization:

after 13 years, all the CG and stuff added for the special edition look like absolute shit; the late 90's CGI looks SO bad, the inserted stuff doesn't match the original footage at all, it's really just sad to look at.

What Lucas needs to do is go hire Weta and have them Completely redo the movie; like ~90% all new material. just replace everything with CGI; sets, vehicles, characters, EVERYTHING. And while there at it, they could take the time to modernize the film (aliens less goofy, more modern looking ships, new score etc). finally, re-release it in IMAX and 3D.

after 13 years, all the CG and stuff added for the special edition look like absolute shit; the late 90's CGI looks SO bad, the inserted stuff doesn't match the original footage at all, it's really just sad to look at.

What Lucas needs to do is go hire Weta and have them Completely redo the movie; like ~90% all new material. just replace everything with CGI; sets, vehicles, characters, EVERYTHING. And while there at it, they could take the time to modernize the film (aliens less goofy, more modern looking ships, new score etc). finally, re-release it in IMAX and 3D.

Did you actually SEE episodes I, II, and III????

new score???

You sir, are dead to me.

I didn't like the added music bit in jabba's palace, the modified sarlac pit, and I liked the original ghost ending. mainly because if people didn't watch ep 1-3 they wouldn't know that was young anakin. he also like he was smirking first and then gave a creepy serious I'm gonna kill you look.

wow after all these years I never noticed the bump head scene or at-at stick

I didn't like the added music bit in jabba's palace, the modified sarlac pit, and I liked the original ghost ending. mainly because if people didn't watch ep 1-3 they wouldn't know that was young anakin. he also like he was smirking first and then gave a creepy serious I'm gonna kill you look.

Eh... I've never been much of a Star Wars fan myself, but even I thought the original trilogy was much better off before Lucas went back and tried to "fix" it with what we've come to as his characteristic hamhandedness. Back when he wasn't calling all the shots and couldn't palm all the difficult stuff off on the CG animation studio, Lucas had no choice but to think on his feet... and as a result the original trilogy felt like he was actually trying to do a reasonably interesting story. Of late, now that he's filthy rich and doesn't have a producer around to make sure he's not about to f*ck up royally and he can palm anything even remotely difficult off on the CG animation staff, there's been a sharp decline in the quality of his work. Since he's no longer being forced to think on his feet and has spent the last twenty odd years being told he's a genius, there's been a marked decline in the quality of his work... as evidenced by the retooled original trilogy and new trilogy.

I might be interested in the Blu-Ray edition if there's an option to play it without all the crap he tried to add and change in the original trilogy, but unless there is I think I'll stick with my plain DVDs and rely on my up-sampling DVD player to bridge the gap.

The Holy Grail of SW bloopers is apparently long gone, relegated to the cutting room floor long before any mortal eye could ever have seen it: supposedly there was an out-take from Darth Vader's entrance onto the Rebel cruiser at the opening of SW; a Stormtrooper is supposed to have inadvertently stepped on DV's cape, and the resulting melee ended up with a bunch of plastic helmets clacking together like something out of a comedy bit...

I seem to remember hearing that from a cast member interview or something.

The Holy Grail of SW bloopers is apparently long gone, relegated to the cutting room floor long before any mortal eye could ever have seen it: supposedly there was an out-take from Darth Vader's entrance onto the Rebel cruiser at the opening of SW; a Stormtrooper is supposed to have inadvertently stepped on DV's cape, and the resulting melee ended up with a bunch of plastic helmets clacking together like something out of a comedy bit...

I seem to remember hearing that from a cast member interview or something.

I love David Prowse, he is an absolute SF legend and I am NOT trying to be nasty about him, but there is a fair amount of comedy gold to be found in his Vader voice.....

Funny comment I read on another board about "Jedi Rocks" replacing "Lapti Nek" that about sums up my thoughts:

Again, way better than the original Lapti Nek scene. Just seems more like the wild hopping type of entertainment that Jabba the Hutt would enjoy. Not to mention the CGI replacements for the bad puppets were great. If the band I hired delivered something like Lapti Nek, they would have been joining Oola in the Rancor pit.

That said, I do think the CGI needs to be re-done, and would like to see a less aged Yoda CGI replace the Muppet in Ep 1 , as well as (gasp), Ep 5 and 6. :ph34r: